Ray Rice 2nd round
Arian Foster undrafted
MJD 2nd round
Shady McCoy 2nd round
Michael Turner 5th round
Frank Gore 3rd round
Ahmad Bradshaw 6th round
Matt Forte 2nd round

It isn't so much who we found. The point is backs are found later in drafts all the time.

80% of being a top producer at running back is having a coach who is determined to run the ball and a O-line that drive blocks.

If you have that, you can insert nearly any half way talented back in to the line-up and they will produce . It doesn't take a top pick to gain yardage.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not for a guy that is clearly NOT the best prospect at his position.

This kind of thinking has baffled me........ I don't want to trade up for RG3. I don't even know if I want him at 4.

But what does it matter if he's not the best prospect at his position? What if the two best prospects are DE's? I hope NFL GM's don't do this. Rate and rank players against everyone else... The only pick where you want to make sure you get the top guy at his position is the number 1 pick. If the 2nd best player at his position is better than everyone else at their position, then the guy might make sense to pick.

They don't. Otherwise Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy wouldn't have gone two and three.

If Barkley were in this draft, RG3 would still be the second QB drafted. I would disagree with it, but that's what would happen.

NFL teams are in love with RG3.

That's a pretty ballzy comment there Deep...But it's opinion only...

Mr Free Agent...

U need to take a look at the new CBA and it's Rookie Pay Scale...

If there was ever a year for any team to take a chance on a QB it's this year...Especially Cleveland with having that 22 pick also...

In the past when QB's were mentioned and u MISS...That set a franchise back due the constraints of the Salary Cap hits when u give up on said QB...Missing on a QB now is nowhere near as damaging...

Go Browns!!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
nightmare:

Taking any mock draft seriously before free agency

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Mr Free Agent...

U need to take a look at the new CBA and it's Rookie Pay Scale...

If there was ever a year for any team to take a chance on a QB it's this year...Especially Cleveland with having that 22 pick also...

In the past when QB's were mentioned and u MISS...That set a franchise back due the constraints of the Salary Cap hits when u give up on said QB...Missing on a QB now is nowhere near as damaging...

I know all about the CBA, but paying a bust less money doesn't give us back other picks. In 2007 we traded our second round pick and our 2008 first round pick for Brady Quinn. Had we kept those picks we could have drafted Kevin Kolb with our 2007 2nd rounder and we could have drafted Chris Johnson with our 2008 first rounder.

@Petey

What I meant by my comment is this year the #1 and #2 guy are not close in terms of ranking a prospect. I would disagree with Deep, I think if Barkley was in this draft Luck would go #1, Stl would probably stay at 2 and draft Kali because there wouldn't be a need to jump up to #2, Minny would take either Blackmon or Claiborne, Cleveland would take Barkley over RGIII. Teams looking to jump up over Washington would target Tampa at #5 (Less picks needed). But that's just my opinion.

So when the guy isn't close to the #1 overall pick that is typically not the guy you want to trade two first round plus other picks to get. Too much of a risk factor, IMO.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

nightmare:

Taking any mock draft seriously before free agency

Unless it's a QB, then I don't see where FA should change your draft board.

It may change your draft philosophy as far as needs and might prompt a necessity to make a trade up or down, but the board stays the same.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 01/25/12 10:20 AM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

2001: Couch
2002: Couch Holcomb
2003: Holcomb Couch
2004: Garcia McCown Holcomb
2005: Dilfer Frye
2006: Frye Anderson
2007: Anderson
2008: Anderson Quinn
2009: Quinn Anderson
2010: Delhomme Wallace McCoy
2011: McCoy Wallace

That's a lotta crap right there.

I also see 2 first round draft picks, 2 pro-bowlers and a super bowl winner.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

2001: Couch
2002: Couch Holcomb
2003: Holcomb Couch
2004: Garcia McCown Holcomb
2005: Dilfer Frye
2006: Frye Anderson
2007: Anderson
2008: Anderson Quinn
2009: Quinn Anderson
2010: Delhomme Wallace McCoy
2011: McCoy Wallace

That's a lotta crap right there.

I also see 2 first round draft picks, 2 pro-bowlers and a super bowl winner.

3 pro-bowlers (Garcia, Delhomme, Anderson)

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Is it so much about trading down as much as it is the value in return?

If we were to trade from #4 to #6 for nothing other than Washington's first in 2013 as well ... that might be the ammunition to play around with and get Barkely (or Tyler Wilson or Tyler Bray or whoever) next year... and it's not about delaying the future ... it's about value now.

If we value the player we could draft more than the overall value of the return on picks then you pull the trigger on the player. But ... would I accept a first rounder next year to move back two spots? Yup. Because I am only making the trade down if I don't want Griffin in the first place - the caveat is if you DO want him then you pick him. If you don't then you trade down and at #6 you would assume that Luck is gone with Kalil / Blackmon (just assumed). If Washington trades up to 6 for Griffin ... then you not only get another first rounder for passing on a guy that you don't want ... but you also are guaranteed to get either Claiborne or Richardson - two guys that you wouldn't be 'upset' with even at #4.

yeah, big difference in trading all the way into the 20's like we did, and moving just a few spots back. I don't think anyone would have a problem with moving 4 to 6...

I just think there are some real quality pros at the top of this draft and we are in place to draft one of them.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Not this guy... please

his socks...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Nothing wrong with a Superman.

I'm tired of Jokers.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
My Draft nightmare.................Having to listen to Chris Berman and his stupied jokes, smart guy, but common it's time to change your broadcasting style, refering to a 60's - 70's song in ever sentances is getting pretty old, back, back, back or he could go all the way, is getting old now and after having to hear it 20 times an hours..Common man

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL ... Complete with a cape.

[Linked Image]

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I thought those socks belonged to CoachB! (At least his son thought he was Superman!)

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Very Similar to Super Woman- I wonder if he is wearing matching underoos...that might throw up a flag right? lol

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Draft Nightmare is
1) Indy Luck
2) Wash Griffin 3
3) Minn Blackmon
4) Cleveland T. Richardson

I would be happy with any of the first 3 picks but please no RB this early.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Taking Richardson before Claiborne. Sounds like a nightmare to me...

In fact, getting Richardson at all would be a nightmare. He's going to go way too early for my tastes.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Same. I do not know who I want us to take, but I do know that I do not want us to take Richardson. And it is not because Richardson lacks talent, it is because running backs are too easy to find.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Same. I do not know who I want us to take, but I do know that I do not want us to take Richardson. And it is not because Richardson lacks talent, it is because running backs are too easy to find.

I'm moving more and more to this Doug Martin guy from Boise State. If he's there in the 3rd round, i'd love to pick him up.

I'd really like to find a way to trade down in this draft closer to our 20 pick at this point. I just don't really like the guys who will be at our pick verses the guys who will be at our 1B and 2 Pick.

But as we are now.....
1) Blackmon
1B) That guy outta USCar, Mercellius, Denard (CB from Neb)
2) Adcock
3) Doug Martin/Lavonte David

Bam, we'd be much better.

But I'd like to see FA. There's a lot of players I like going in the mid to late first through 2nd round

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
My nightmare would be Blackmon or Richardson at #4. I'd rather trade down if Blackmon is there.

[Linked Image from media.scout.com]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

My nightmare would be Blackmon or Richardson at #4. I'd rather trade down if Blackmon is there.

Same. Blackmon might be the best wide receiver in the draft, but that does not make him worthy of a top four pick.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I'd almost prefer Kendall Wright to Blackmon at this point. This team needs a speed WR in the mold of a DeSean Jackson to give us the deep threat and spread the field.

With that being said my current nightmare (subject to change being it so early in the draft process) is trading up our first pick for anyone but Luck.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Legend
Legend
My draft nightmare would be taking Richardson at 4.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

May I ask why?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Bingo. Give me either one of them at 10 or later.

ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Bingo. Give me either one of them at 10 or later.

Niether of them will be there at 10.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

May I ask why?

I think it's stupid using a top 5 pick on a RB.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
My draft nightmare is drafting Tannehill at 1B or the 2nd, just because of the lack of experience at playing QB. How long would it take to get him ready for the NFL?

I actually love Richardson or Blackmon at #4 if we can't get RGIII.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
This thread confirms that some people are guaranteed to be disappointed / have nightmares on draft day.

RG3 or Blackmon would really surprise me. I wouldn't see the logic in those picks based on value and fitting the offense. Generally staying at #4 would surprise me. I expect us to drop a few slots and target Richardson, then DE/Tannehill at 1b/2a (not sure on order). Then we go WR,
RT, CB, LB, LB.

I don't think i'll have nightmares if I'm wrong, but thats the draft that makes the most sense to me. Based on the value of picks available and where we are slotted / expected to trade down to.

Last edited by Kingcob; 01/28/12 02:21 AM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I want Blackmon on the Browns. No Luck, No Blackmon = Trade down to me.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
Legend
Legend
C
What if Blackmon is not worthy of a top four selection?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Then it would be a mistake to take him there ... Right ? .. I love tests !

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I want Blackmon on the Browns. No Luck, No Blackmon = Trade down to me.

Me too and I realistically don't see us trading up for Luck and even though I think Blackmon is in a class of his own as far as the WR's (and playmakers) this year ... I don't believe we will take him even if he is available.

Rightly (not) or wrongly, because the FO thinks too highly of the WR already on our roster.

We will continue to try and find fire in the bottle with later selections and how has that worked out for us? It hasn't!

Our WR group is and has been the laughing stock of the League and will most likely continue to be with the current mind set of this FO.
Dime a dozen my arss.

Who ever we draft at #4 is going to be a pretty good talent (we hope), so I can't get to upset with whoever we take there, but I'm with you on trading down and picking up some more ammunition to position ourselves for targeted talent in rounds 2 and 3.

The whole world it seems ... Thinks we will take RG3, just as the whole world thought that we would take BQ and although we traded down and still landed him. I still have my reservations as to how good a prospect he will be at this level. He is probably the riskiest selection we could make with that #4 selection imo. With that said he could also turn out to be a good QB for us, but that doesn't make him less of a risk without the benefit of hind sight.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Me too and I realistically don't see us trading up for Luck and even though I think Blackmon is in a class of his own as far as the WR's (and playmakers) this year ... I don't believe we will take him even if he is available.

Rightly (not) or wrongly, because the FO thinks too highly of the WR already on our roster.

It could also be because the FO doesn't think too highly of Blackmon or because we pick up some WR in FA (Desean Jackson should be available this year).

My issue with Blackmon is his talent level. He's not as good as AJ Green. That doesn't mean he won't be a good receiver, but I'm just not sure he's elite.

I trust whatever Heckert does, he watches these guys a lot more than I do, but I sort of put Blackmon where I put RG3, I just don't REALLY know enough about them to get behind them and say "This is the guy I really want!" (I have seen more of Blackmon than Griffin, and I have seen enough to say "this guy isn't as good as AJ Green was", but not enough to say "I don't think he'll be a good receiver in the NFL" or the other way around)

I do know enough about Luck and Richardson. I'd be happy with trading up for Luck and I'd be fine with taking Richardson at #4. I just don't want to make our #4 pick on a guy who isn't #4 talent just because we really need some position. That's called reaching. Hopefully with FA, we'll be able to solve all that though

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

It could also be because the FO doesn't think too highly of Blackmon or because we pick up some WR in FA (Desean Jackson should be available this year).

My issue with Blackmon is his talent level. He's not as good as AJ Green. That doesn't mean he won't be a good receiver, but I'm just not sure he's elite.

I trust whatever Heckert does, he watches these guys a lot more than I do, but I sort of put Blackmon where I put RG3, I just don't REALLY know enough about them to get behind them and say "This is the guy I really want!" (I have seen more of Blackmon than Griffin, and I have seen enough to say "this guy isn't as good as AJ Green was", but not enough to say "I don't think he'll be a good receiver in the NFL" or the other way around)

I do know enough about Luck and Richardson. I'd be happy with trading up for Luck and I'd be fine with taking Richardson at #4. I just don't want to make our #4 pick on a guy who isn't #4 talent just because we really need some position. That's called reaching. Hopefully with FA, we'll be able to solve all that though

Because Blackmon is not AJ Green (imo) is not sound solid reasoning as an argument, to not take Blackmon with the 4th pick.

I know that he has made many receptions and scored many TD, but what impresses me the most is what he does after the catch and not even Green compares to Blackmon in that respect. They are two different talents in many regards, but their end results is really all I care about.

I didn't just get on the bus here either ... I had Blackmon rated higher then Julio Jones last year and that opinion still stands and I could care less what his 40: time will be, because he has out run some pretty fast DB's and it's all there in color. 40: times are great and all, but they are also somewhat misleading or even tainted, depending on health, preparation and how well an individual test on track.

Some have competed in track, while others have not.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't really care about stats or 40 times. I've watched some of Justin Blackmon, I watched a lot of AJ Green in college. AJ Green was a better prospect than Blackmon is. If you want, we can discuss their strengths and weaknesses, but AJ Green was better, and I'm not as sold on Blackmon is I was on AJ Green.

That's why I'm not all aboard the Blackmon train. I don't feel as good about him as I do other prospects. I don't hate the pick or anything if that's who we choose.

I'm not one of those people on this board who is a polarizing poster. I have complete confidence in whatever Heckert wants to do. I've just said what I know, last year, my guy who was a can't miss prospect was AJ Green. Two years ago it was Suh, Berry, and Haden. I knew that we were gonna get a good player if we picked one of those three guys. This year, my can't miss prospects are Richardson and Luck.

Doesn't mean other guys won't be good, I'm just sure those two guys are gonna be good. I like to think that if you always get "hits" in the draft, then you're gonna eventually do well. Heckert seems to do well with that. Haden and Taylor as 1st round picks are both good picks. And we've got two 1sts this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I don't really care about stats or 40 times. I've watched some of Justin Blackmon, I watched a lot of AJ Green in college. AJ Green was a better prospect than Blackmon is. If you want, we can discuss their strengths and weaknesses, but AJ Green was better, and I'm not as sold on Blackmon is I was on AJ Green.

That's why I'm not all aboard the Blackmon train. I don't feel as good about him as I do other prospects. I don't hate the pick or anything if that's who we choose.

I'm not one of those people on this board who is a polarizing poster. I have complete confidence in whatever Heckert wants to do. I've just said what I know, last year, my guy who was a can't miss prospect was AJ Green. Two years ago it was Suh, Berry, and Haden. I knew that we were gonna get a good player if we picked one of those three guys. This year, my can't miss prospects are Richardson and Luck.

Doesn't mean other guys won't be good, I'm just sure those two guys are gonna be good. I like to think that if you always get "hits" in the draft, then you're gonna eventually do well. Heckert seems to do well with that. Haden and Taylor as 1st round picks are both good picks. And we've got two 1sts this year.

I had Green and Peterson on the top of my board at 6, but that was last year and that book is closed and they where both off the board.

Trade down ... Bravo!

I too have been happy with what Heckert has done with the Draft to this point, but there is still some work and some proving left to do. We are a long way from getting to where we all want to go and still to many holes at key positions for me to feel content and confident that we can steer this ship on it's proper coarse.

I don't buy the thought process that WR are a dime a dozen either. Complimentary types ... yes, but we already have that covered.
To find #1's anywhere in the Draft is the exception and not the rule.

So yes if Blackmon and Luck are off the board this year I hope to Draft down and I think that is a possibility unless we really fall head over heals for RG3 or Richardson (or another), then I think that's what we will look to do in that scenario.

To quote Heckert " I don't see how we can screw up the 4th pick"

Maybe not, but there are good choices and there are better choices.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 01/28/12 02:37 PM.

[Linked Image]

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
j/c

My nightmare would be the feeling I had after round two of the 2009 draft. We traded down in round one and took Mack. - I liked that pick. Then we took Robiskie with Maulaluga on the board, then we took MoMass with Lesean McCoy on the board, then we took Veikune with Hakeem Nicks still on the board. I was disgusted, and expressed frustration on this board, and unfortunately, the second round was a complete, absolutely complete, bust. Robo and Veikune are gone, and Momass has not fulfilled expectations of a second round wr.

What would cause me to have the same feelings of discontent this year?

-Trading both first round picks for anybody but Andrew Luck.

What do I want to happen? Gimme the best player available at 4, preferably Morris Claiborne, CB LSU. Then give me the best WR on the board at 22. - Hopefully Michael Floyd from Notre Dame is there. In the second round, gimme the best right tackle available.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

then we took Veikune with Hakeem Nicks still on the board.

No, we did not. Nicks was drafted No. 29.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Good catch, I get him mixed up with Ramses Barden. - The other receiver that the Giants took that year. Big difference, but doesn't change the fact that the second round was a complete bust that year. - I do not expect Heckert to ever blunder a draft like that. He has been fairly good with top picks so far.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Good catch, I get him mixed up with Ramses Barden. - The other receiver that the Giants took that year. Big difference, but doesn't change the fact that the second round was a complete bust that year. - I do not expect Heckert to ever blunder a draft like that. He has been fairly good with top picks so far.

Haha, mixing up Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden is a pretty big mix up.

But if those were the guys you wanted, not bad. I wanted McCoy pretty badly that season. I liked him because i watched him a lot in the Big East.

But yeah, Robiskie I liked, and was like Who? with Mass and Veikune

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Your Draft Nightmare...

Link Copied to Clipboard