Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I couldnt go 4 and 22 for the guy. Sorry...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I had to laugh at a post by one natedawg under the Mary Kay article . . .

"Here's what McShay had to say about Jamarcus~

"I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Russell had the physical talent for sure. He didn't have the mental talent to go with it.

B
Legend
Legend
B
In a nutshell teams won't try to outbid us because they can't. We will always have the better offer, so if there is no bidding, Griffin falls to 4 because the same rules apply to the Vikings pick as they did for the Rams pick.
Naturally this assumes those teams don't take Griffin, which doesn't make any sense since they both just drafted a QB high in round 1.

It makes sense. If the Skins want Griffin, offer us a pick and switch when it is our turn to pick.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Mayock (who really cares) says RG3 is worth over-paying for and the supporters are coming out of the woodwork feeling vindicated!

Good luck with that.

I'm sure glad that H&H are making these decisions and not Mayock!

Not sure if you actually meant that towards me or not, but I do not advocate overpaying for anyone in a draft.

I was just poking a little fun at someone's typo that suggested we may have to give up a pick in a draft that is 100 years down the road.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mac - Stopped reading about 2/3 thru the article. In short, teams that want RGIII will look to trade up but are not willing to overpay. The Rams are looking to trade down but want to fleece whichever teams trades with them without dropping too far down.

If there is an overlap in acceptable pay then there will be a trade if there isn't then no trade and and RGIII falls

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

In a nutshell teams won't try to outbid us because they can't. We will always have the better offer, so if there is no bidding, Griffin falls to 4 because the same rules apply to the Vikings pick as they did for the Rams pick.
Naturally this assumes those teams don't take Griffin, which doesn't make any sense since they both just drafted a QB high in round 1.

It makes sense. If the Skins want Griffin, offer us a pick and switch when it is our turn to pick.

I could see us going 1st (4) and 2nd round picks ...... because that would still give the Rams one of the players they covet, and still give them an extra premium pick this year.

It's still really, really early though. Until we know who goes where in free agency, (or even trades for that matter) it's impossible to say for sure. I do think that it increases the chances that a team like Washington or Miami gets into early free agent bidding that takes them out of the draft market altogether.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
And here's 2 pro & con articles from Bleacher Report . . .

2012 NFL Draft: 4 Reasons Robert Griffin III Is Wrong for Cleveland Browns

The Cleveland Browns 2012 NFL draft speculative universe currently is divided amongst those who think that the team should pick Robert Griffin III in the draft, and everyone else.

That quarterback from Baylor, as I like to refer to him, in an attempt to downplay the current belief that he is the quarterbacking fantasy of every Cleveland fans' dreams, is currently an on paper potent commodity, generating endless interest and speculative inquiries leading up to his April 26 IPO.

However, here are four reasons why it would be a mistake to select him in this year's draft.

The consensus amongst the prognosticators in the pre-draft aggregation is that the Browns would not be able to obtain "that quarterback from Baylor," simply via their ownership of the first round fourth pick. Rather, they would have to initiate a draft-day trade.

For a team that finished near the bottom of the league in every offensive category, surely one unproven play-caller will not be the catalyst that spurns average parts towards sudden above-average performance. The question then becomes, is a team which has a dire need for improvement at various offensive positions willing to cash in more than one chip, for the supposed big chip?

If there is one position that is historically hyped beyond recognition, it is quarterback. And we are all history majors when it comes to draft day busts at the position. From the Ryan Leafs and Todd Marinovichs of the world to Cleveland's own first-round first-overall pick in the 1999 draft, Tim Couch, there is plenty of historical evidence to suggest that the proclamations of the QB from Baylor's messianic qualities are simply that—unsubstantiated proclamations.

There is more to be gained from utilizing two first-round top-25 picks and potentially improving two offensive positions than from losing an additional pick in the round to score one player who has yet to take an NFL snap.

Of course, every player drafted this coming spring is a bust till they prove otherwise; however, why not level the potential for big-time or bust players, by drafting in volume?

There is no doubt that the quarterback from Baylor has all the intangible facets by which fans, scouts and front offices measure a player whom they think to be potentially worthy of the franchise player label.

He has all the hardware, highlights and statistics that comprise a player who could potentially be labeled as the coming savior of any team looking for a reason to justify renewed faith, which surely the Browns have been for sometime now.

He is even the kind of player whom many believe, specifically NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock, should possess veto rights over the kind of offense that he will inherit once drafted. Of teams such as Carolina, Cincinnati and Minnesota, with their respective quarterbacks, Mayock stated:

“They adapted some of their offenses to suit what the rookie quarterbacks did best. Look at Cam Newton, look at Andy Dalton, look at Ponder. They gave those kids chances to make plays and get comfortable. [Griffin] is too explosive and too much of a playmaker to sit there and have him read the triangle that the West Coast offense is.”

Of course, Browns fans can read into that last line and it's relevance to Cleveland's own use of the west coast offense at their discretion or lack thereof. However, even if the Baylor quarterback was to somehow land in the laps of the Browns, and, even if his impact was immediate, the teams' deficiencies far outweigh the accomplishments of any single individual.

The mere fact that so much intense speculation has already made it's way through the conversational campfire only supports the idea that this draft is a grand opportunity to address many holes, not just potentially putty patching up the one.

If the team's approach come draft day is to trade in all the marbles for supposedly the shiniest one of the bunch, will this not simply replicate the situation of this past year?

By way of sending another quarterback who may or may not prove to be an effective leader, given a legitimate supporting cast, out onto the field with what could only be described as the stand-ins for a legitimate supporting cast.

Media manipulation is far reaching and a mechanism that, through redundancies and volume of verbiage, urges that what can make an individual, team or even a city better is the only option worth pursuing.

The Baylor quarterback's name is surely the first on the list of potential draftees in the minds of those within the organization and legion of fans. This is not coincidental when a player is somehow aligned with the convergence of an entire team and city towards emergence and long-sought respect.

Even a month prior to this article, the supposed savant of NFL draft predicting, last name Kiper, first name Mel, made no qualms in his assurances towards the Browns draft day destiny when asked if he thought the team would draft that Baylor kid:

"I think they've pretty much resolved themselves to the fact they're going to go that route. They're probably going to kick Colt McCoy to the curb. That's what happens to a lot of young quarterbacks that don't have great physical qualifications."

These not entirely astute analyses from supposedly shrewd or in-the-know manipulators of media will only intensify in the weeks, days and minutes prior to April 26. And they will play prominently in the minds from the front office down to the fans sitting on the front of their couches.

Surely we, as Cleveland fans, should be wary of being sold on a player's potential to be the pot of gold that will make the city a rich and respected sports town once more. Our recent sports past informs us well against such flights of fantasy.

As much as there are those who are for taking the Baylor kid and then everyone else, the same line of reasoning or lack thereof, applies to whether or not Colt McCoy should be replaced.

The thought merchants differentiate themselves on the contentious possibility of whether McCoy is a talented quarterback on a talent-deficient team, or a non-talented quarterback, being given the benefit of the doubt because he has not been allotted much surrounding talent.

What is inarguable is that McCoy was surrounded by a less-than-efficient group on offense, making it easy for his weaknesses to be exposed under the strain.

The problem is that if Cleveland drafts the third Robert Griffin, not only will they not answer the question of what McCoy's "true" abilities could be, but they put the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner in the same spot if they are unable to gather any meaningful pieces following his selection.

Why not give McCoy no excuses by utilizing 2012 picks towards building some legitimate pieces around him and then allow the masses to truly judge his NFL worthiness?

Cleveland Browns: Why Trade Up for RG3? Because He's Worth Your Admission

Cleveland Browns fans have heard all the RG3/Michael Vick comparisons.

Are we really enamored by this comparison? Not really. Definitely not enough to back the team if they were to decide to trade up for him.

Remember that the quarterback who’s all but a lock to go ahead of Griffin (Andrew Luck) is widely regarded as the best quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning. He’s the guy we want. That’s the comparison we like—Manning not Vick.

Vick is an undersized, inconsistent quarterback with durability issues and no Super Bowl rings. The year he just had quarterbacking the "Dream Team" doesn’t sit too well with us either.

So yeah, all of these comparison’s of RG3 to Vick aren’t all that inspiring to the "common Cleveland folk."

It’s the Peyton Mannings and the Tom Bradys we want, they’re the type that win you Super Bowls, right? They’re the pocket passers that this league is founded on, right?

Fair point. There’s only one problem with that. Cleveland Browns fans aren’t exactly in the position to be setting their sights on a Super Bowl. At least not one that would happen anytime soon.

For that reason, I’m fine with trading up for the player whose game most resembles Vick. Actually, I’m all for it.

I’ll be the first to say I’ve never been the biggest Vick fan, even before learning of his dog days. Despite that, I remember when Vick first entered the league and took it by storm.

He was a sensation. A marketing phenomena. Bo Jackson-esque. The most electrifying, titillating quarterback in all of football. You wanted to watch Vick. You wanted to see him live. You wanted to play as him on Madden. You wanted him on your fantasy team. Michael Vick was a huge deal.

You can’t accurately quantify “The Michael Vick Experience” as far as its correlation to the success of Vick and the Falcons. But I can assure you that it did wonders for a franchise with a not so glorious history of winning. I mean it had to, right?

Well, at this hour RG3 looks like he could very well be a better version of Vick. Keeping in mind that Griffin appears to have the character edge over Vick, and probably won’t be committing federal crimes on innocent pooches anytime soon. Wouldn’t you welcome the “The RG3 Show” in Cleveland?

Wherever Griffin ends up going, it’s very likely they’ll be treated like NFL Royalty.

Griffin is projected to go No. 2 overall in a draft class that contains the likes of Matt Kalil, Justin Blackmon, Trent Richardson and Morris Claiborne—some of the safest future all-pro locks we’ve ever seen grouped together in one draft class.

It’s also a draft that happens to be deep with quarterbacks. Despite this, we’re infatuated with an undersized QB who comes from a spread system. Huh?

Yes we are, and the ‘infatuation‘ part of that is the reason he’s worth a trade up by the Cleveland Browns.

The NFL Draft has become a giant marketing platform. That’s how much attention this draft thing receives these days, and that’s how ridiculously popular the league is.

Because of where Griffin stands on big boards and mock drafts, and because he is an athletic specimen who looks like he came from a lab, he’s already been talked up to the point where he is going to be a 'big deal.’

A really, really, big deal.

We don’t see quarterbacks like Griffin at the top of wish lists very often. That’s because we flat out don’t see players like him every day.

Nevertheless, Griffin is up there, and he will be an enticing NFL quarterback who will be much talked about in 2012. Miraculously, the Cleveland Browns are in a prime position to trade up and make him their own.

I don’t want to trade up, you don’t want to trade up, none of us do. But when’s the next time an opportunity like this will present itself?

I don’t know whether Griffin will be a bust, a Pro Bowler, or just a mediocre starter. None of us do. The only thing we know for sure is that when he makes his first NFL appearance behind center, he will be a galvanizing enigma in this league.

In other words, when the 2012 NFL season kicks off, everyone is going to be interested in watching to see what Robert Griffin III does. And I’m not just talking about the team that drafts him, I’m talking the entirety of the NFL community.

That’s something the Cleveland Browns should take note of. Why? Because the Browns have never had that kind of exposure and attention surrounding their team. Never.

Griffin might not ever be as good as Andrew Luck or Michael Vick, but his unique and incredibly athletic skill set actually make him one of the safer quarterback prospects to come out in some time.

That’s the power of an enigma quarterback with blazing speed and a cannon arm. Metaphorically speaking, he’s worth the price of admission. The Browns could really use a “worth the price of admission” guy. Josh Cribbs just isn’t cutting it the way he used to.

Griffin has no experience in a pro-style offense under center. However, consider that, of all the quarterbacks who operated in the spread during college, only two have attained what you would call “elite success” in the NFL.

Those two are Michael Vick and Cam Newton. Probably two of the most athletically gifted quarterbacks we’ve seen in the past twenty years, if not ever. Last year Newton was actually a very risky pick because up until that point it was Vick on an island alone.

Griffin is arguably more gifted than either of the two. It’s why some are suggesting the Colts pass on Luck and take him instead.

Ideally, you want a quarterback who operates from the pocket. Everyone knows that. There are certain times, though, when exceptions are made. Griffin is one of those exceptions, as Newton was before him.

That’s why scouts have basically thrown out the book of quarterback standards when it comes to rating him. He’s past that threshold. His ability (primarily his speed), is great enough to the point where he can “cut corners” in the NFL. Meaning, Griffin can have instant success as a unpolished, raw NFL quarterback.

If you haven’t had a chance to watch RG3, you can use that basis alone to get a pretty good idea as to how special a player he is.

Can the Browns win a Super Bowl with that type of quarterback? No idea. I do know this though...

A fan base such as the Browns, one that’s been deprived of excitement for so long, could use an electrifying guy like Griffin. I’m talking purely from a morale boosting standpoint, not a “getting us to the promised land” standpoint.

On top of that, the younger generation of Browns fans—the ones who are on the verge of extinction because they’ve never seen the Browns as anything but laughable losers in their lifetime—surely need a guy like Griffin.

At the very least to help get them from point A to point B—to give them a reason to forego their planned forfeiture of their Browns fanhood.

After all, every 12 minutes, a child is born into a Browns household only to grow up rooting for another team. That really needs to change. Thankfully RG3 is the guy capable of doing just that.

We’ve got two more months to dissect Griffin. Until then here’s all you really need to know about regarding RG3's prospectus as a Cleveland Brown...

If they choose to nab him, Browns’ fans’ are going to want to make a point of watching this team each and every Sunday. He’s going to give the fan base, as well as the entire city, some mad, mad hope. The franchise is going to get an immediate jump in dollar value and vested interest. He’s going to draw national attention, maybe even warrant some nationally televised games (we love those).

The point I’m trying to make isn’t that Robert Griffin III is the guy who will get us to where we want to be (Like I mentioned, it’s a guess as to what he’ll do at the next level). The point is that he will make the Cleveland Browns a buzz worthy team entering the 2012 NFL season. He will immediately make the Browns relevant. Aside from the build-up entering the 2008 season, that’s never really been the case for this team, as of late.

For Browns fans, that’s what you call a moral victory. It’s the benefit of investing a high pick on a quarterback. They truly can breath new life into a franchise. Brady Quinn (bench in 2007) and Tim Couch (new expansion team) didn’t come with that.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I wish these writers had the balls to speak their minds without trying to preserve their likeability.

If you like Mccoy and think he's the right guy, you do NOT trade two freakin first round picks for an UNPROVEN rookie.

So let's stop pretending the writer likes Mccoy. He doesn't think he's good enough, and I think Mayock is a coward for being afraid to speak his mind.

I would love to see Griffin as my QB. But if its my call I'm not trading up to get him. He isn't perfect. He's undersized and will be missing far too many games for my taste. He's going to parallel the career of Vick because he doesn't have the instincts to avoid taking big hits.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Where have I seen this before.

1. Sign a stop gap QB
2. Wait until next draft
3. Repeat step 1 and 2

candy...it makes perfect sense to me to continue building the supporting cast surrounding the QB, rather than spend our hard earned 4th and 22nd first round picks, on just one position, a QB, who is not likely to even start next season.

Haven't Browns fans learned, it takes a "team" of 11 players to win consistently...not just 1 player?

When are we ever going to learn you don't pass on a franchise QB period? Stop trying to build like the Ravens and Steelers. Build a team that will win superbowl(s). The ravens screwed around trying to build a team first and waisted 10 years of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed because they never had a franchise QB.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I thought this was incredibly on point....

Quote:

The thought merchants differentiate themselves on the contentious possibility of whether McCoy is a talented quarterback on a talent-deficient team, or a non-talented quarterback, being given the benefit of the doubt because he has not been allotted much surrounding talent.

What is inarguable is that McCoy was surrounded by a less-than-efficient group on offense, making it easy for his weaknesses to be exposed under the strain.

The problem is that if Cleveland drafts the third Robert Griffin, not only will they not answer the question of what McCoy's "true" abilities could be, but they put the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner in the same spot if they are unable to gather any meaningful pieces following his selection.

Why not give McCoy no excuses by utilizing 2012 picks towards building some legitimate pieces around him and then allow the masses to truly judge his NFL worthiness?

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Is this the same Mike Mayock that said to get Gabbert before Newton last year? hmmmm. Thanks Mike but we will do our own evaluations of players and I highly doubt the Browns or Heckert put any weight into what guys like Kiper or Mayock think..Thank God or Brady Quinn would have been a top 5 pick..ughh.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
RG3 is one of the most exciting prospects I have seen in a very long time but I have yet to see FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK out of him. He does not have NFL size and takes more devastating hits than Tebow did without the body to endure it. He has nimble quick feet but horrible footwork. His mechanics are all over the place. He also comes from a system that produces big numbers and big busts at QB.

I would take RG3 at 22 because to me he would be worth the risk at that point, just like Colt was worth the 3rd risk, but I am simply not prepared to take him at 4 and would never consider trading up for someone with that number of flaws.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Is this the same Mike Mayock that said to get Gabbert before Newton last year? hmmmm. Thanks Mike but we will do our own evaluations of players and I highly doubt the Browns or Heckert put any weight into what guys like Kiper or Mayock think..Thank God or Brady Quinn would have been a top 5 pick..ughh.

Ha, That's funny.. I didn't remember, but did Mayock really put Gabbert ahead of Newton? wow.. But hey,, hindsight ya know..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know at one time Cam was his 3rd QB heading into the draft but i cant remember who the other QB was.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Ha, That's funny.. I didn't remember, but did Mayock really put Gabbert ahead of Newton? wow.. But hey,, hindsight ya know..

Yeah, if I remember right he made a big ordeal about his dedication too. Mayock and Kiper make me laugh. The look on Kipers face is priceless during the draft. I think he believes that teams should listen to him...like I said the Brady Quinn Fiasco and the look on his face and the way he starts defending himself is hilarious.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
If we listened to guys like Kiper and Mayock the league would be filled with elite future NFL signal callers like Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Trent Dilfer, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, and Akili Smith, Brady Quinn.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we listened to guys like Kiper and Mayock the league would be filled with elite future NFL signal callers like Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Trent Dilfer, Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, and Akili Smith, Brady Quinn.

LOL One of the biggest reasons I find the trade up scenario so scary is the thought that "what if'' we bet on a bust?

Then you got two problems. 1. you blew it on the player picked and 2. you killed your team for a couple of years because you used up a ton of picks to get him.

If HHS take that bet and throw picks to move up to get RG3, they better be right.

I wouldn't have a problem with taking him at 4 if he fell to me there.

And to those that don't understand that thinking,, think about it this way.

if he falls to you at 4, and you take him and he busts,, what have you spent... Only that draft Pick.. That's it (and money of course, but you'd spend that on whatever player you drafted anyway)

If you trade your 4th, 22nd and two or 3 other picks (which may include some from next season) you have wasted your first pick, and anywhere from 3 to 5 more.

1 pick vs 3 to 5 high picks... That's the reason to take him if he falls to you but not to jump up and grab him.

but hey,, if that's what they want to do, they sure as hell better be right.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend

N
Legend
Legend
N
well, to be fair, they seemed to like Cam the player. They were all worried about a guy who was stealing laptops and getting kicked out of Florida and then had a pretty big scandal as to whether or not that he knew his Dad's church was getting paid for his recruitment to Auburn/MissSt.

it was the character red flags that had them worrying. coming off the recent heels of Michael Vick and Reggie Bush, there is reason to worry there (and there still could be)

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
The truth is these guys have no clue just like the rest of us. I have a feeling a lot of this hype and praise for Griffin is partly spurred due to them getting burned on Cam Newton in his first year. Had Newton busted or looked like doodoo, I bet Griffin would be rated out of the first round. That plus the perception that Mayock was being "racist", so he can play make up this year. JMO

Legend
Legend
Not meant at you, j/c...

#GMSTRONG
N
Legend
Legend
N
i doubt he'd be rated out of the 1st round, but you might be right on the inflated value (I just don't see how Tannehill would be rated above him based on what they did against the same defenses and how they both look doing it).

that said, they are completely different QBs as RGIII isn't going to get those goalline and 3rd/short carries.

after the first4 weeks, Cam went over 300yds 0 times (defensive adjustment!)
Cam had 9 games under 250yds
Cam had 4 games under 200yds
Cam had 3 games under 160yds

Cam did have more TDs than INTs in 8 games vs. more INTs than TDs in 4 games (other 4 equal)

But, without 3 of those first 4 weeks, Cam had pretty much an expected year for a possible promising but flawed rookie QB passing the ball. The fact that he was also running the ball is why he was able to keep his status as a pro-bowl QB too.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The truth is these guys have no clue just like the rest of us. I have a feeling a lot of this hype and praise for Griffin is partly spurred due to them getting burned on Cam Newton in his first year. Had Newton busted or looked like doodoo, I bet Griffin would be rated out of the first round. That plus the perception that Mayock was being "racist", so he can play make up this year. JMO

But they're saying the same things about him now as what I was saying about him while i was watching his games during the season. Does that make me racist? How would we have the same things to say?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

1 pick vs 3 to 5 high picks... That's the reason to take him if he falls to you but not to jump up and grab him.

If you're talking about RG3, I don't think things have to be so black and white.

I'm hoping, that if we trade up to get him, we got 2 picks to 1.

And I'm stuck wondering what I value more, our 2nd and 3rd verses our 1B pick.

If the FO is sold on RG3 as a likely franchise QB and that much more talented than Colt, I'm good to trade up, but 3-5 picks is a lot.

I doubt that's what we'd have to give up for him.

St. Louis isn't the only team looking to trade down, so is the Vikings. I wonder if that'll come into play. Assuming it's us and Wash giving trade up offers, we'll both probably be discussing with Minnesota as well (if we can make it happen cheaper)

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

The point is that he will make the Cleveland Browns a buzz worthy team entering the 2012 NFL season.

The Cleveland Browns were a buzz worthy team entering the 2008 season.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I have been trying to explain that we hold the ammo to trump any 'reasonably' offer for a trade for the 2nd or 3rd selection for weeks now.

We have the option to still trump any overvalued trade offer as well, however I think in that case we 'would' concede the trade to that suitor.

I like our position to either get Griffen at 4 or trade down with the Redskins receiving their 2nd round selection this year to start or deal with Miami at #8 or #9 and their 2nd round selection this year.

In either of those scenarios we could have a choice of Tannehill, Richardson or Reiff and possibly Blackmon (I don't anticipate him to fall past Jacksonville at #7).

I guess it all depends on weather we want to target Griffen or another, but the other might be an option to also add another high 2nd round selection in addition to having 2 first round picks.

We could end up with 4 selections in the top 40 picks and still come away with Tannehill at QB to develop and if and when he is ready to compete for the job and possible un-seating McCoy moving McCoy to either the trading block or our backup QB ... Right back full circle to where most hoped for or projected with that 3rd round selection.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 02/17/12 03:52 PM.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If you're talking about RG3, I don't think things have to be so black and white.

I'm hoping, that if we trade up to get him, we got 2 picks to 1.

And I'm stuck wondering what I value more, our 2nd and 3rd verses our 1B pick.

If the FO is sold on RG3 as a likely franchise QB and that much more talented than Colt, I'm good to trade up, but 3-5 picks is a lot.

I doubt that's what we'd have to give up for him.

St. Louis isn't the only team looking to trade down, so is the Vikings. I wonder if that'll come into play. Assuming it's us and Wash giving trade up offers, we'll both probably be discussing with Minnesota as well (if we can make it happen cheaper)

I pretty much think it's black or white no matter the player. if you gotta give up all your picks in the first three rounds to move up two spots, that guy (whoever it is) had better work out or you've set your franchise back a few years.

And given our position in terms of the number of talented players currently on the team, that could end up killing us for 4 or 5 years. it literally could take that long.

we need so much right now.. WR, RB, some additional Oline, at least one stud on the Dline, LBers, another safety and another CB.

And in 4 years, how old will Joe Thomas be.. that could be another hole to fill. What about TE? by then we will probably need a new one. Mack will be fine for that period of time, but how far beyond that I don't know.

What's funny about that, even if we go up and get RG3 and he looks good, we still don't have the resources to go out and get more from the draft.

of course, that doesn't stop us from filling the holes in Free Agency.. but that doesn't sound like something HH wants to do..they may have to.

Apparently more people agree with me than the other way. the plain dealer is running a poll. Link below

Quote:

Yes: Finding an answer at the QB position is worth two first-rounders 26.92% (776 votes)

No: Browns have too many needs and should fill two of them, not one 73.08% (2,107 votes)

Total Votes: 2,883

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2012/02/expect_cleveland_browns_dqwell.html

Last edited by Damanshot; 02/17/12 04:51 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I pretty much think it's black or white no matter the player. if you gotta give up all your picks in the first three rounds to move up two spots, that guy (whoever it is) had better work out or you've set your franchise back a few years.

I absolutely agree. Only guy I'd do that for is Andrew Luck, and that's only if the FO is convinced he's as good as the talking heads say he is.

But if we like RG3 a lot, I wouldn't mind giving up a second 1st round pick for him. This would also be on the basis having low confidence in Colt McCoy improving. A lot of people on here don't think Colt can become a good QB, where as I'm really not willing to give up on him yet. I've seen guys improve their deep ball, and I've seen players improve their passing ability over the course of their careers. I like a lot of what Colt brings to the table, he's definitely someone you like to root for

Quote:

Apparently more people agree with me than the other way. the plain dealer is running a poll. Link below

The one flaw I see in these kind of polls is that everyone voting has an idea as to what they want the Browns to do. There's the crowd that wants us to get Matt Flynn, they'll be against it. There's the crowd that wants us to stick with Colt McCoy, they'll have their opinion. There's the crowd that wants Tannehill, they'll have their opinion. There's the crowd that wants Andrew Luck, the crowd that wants RG3, the crowd that wants Jason Campbell, and the crowd that wants some developmental QB. Some people want a mixture of these.

But I think that all plays a part in the poll because people see it almost as a direct question of "Do you want to get RG3?"

People are voting on what they want the Browns to do. This might even be the highest majority that you're going to get since it's an issue with more than two options.

They should make another poll "Should the Browns try to pick up Matt Flynn in FA?" and you'll see that the people in favor of it will be below those against it. Same with every option..............

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I absolutely agree. Only guy I'd do that for is Andrew Luck, and that's only if the FO is convinced he's as good as the talking heads say he is.

As good as Luck is supposed to be, the same rule applies to him as well. if we give up 4 picks to move up 2 or 3 spots in the draft, he better work out or we've sunk the ship for a few years..

As for the poll, ahh, they aren't very scientific. they don't always take enough into consideration. But as a straight up question, spend the picks to move up or not,, it's pretty clear, most that took the poll say, stand pat, don't trade up to get another "maybe"

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Thanks for doing this:

2007 - JaMarcus Russell - #1 pick Bust The Raiders were awful
2007 - Brady Quinn - Trade up to #23 Bust The Browns were awful
2008 - Matt Ryan Probably good The Falcons have talent
2008 - Joe Flacco - Trade up to #18 Good The Ravens have talent
2009 - Matthew Stafford - #1 pick I like this kid,, but injury prone The Lions have talent
2009 - Mark Sanchez - Trade up to #5 IMO,, will Bust The Jets don't have much on offense
2009 - Josh Freeman - Trade up to #17 Too soon to call The Bucs have a little talent
2010 - Sam Bradford - #1 pick Probalby good, but so far ehh The Rams have some talent but were really depleted this year with injuries
2010 - Tim Tebow - Trade up to #25 Probably good The Broncos have a great coach and a great defense
2011 - Cam Newton - #1 pick early to tell, but probably good
2011 - Jake Locker - Considered a reach at #8 Early not sure
2011 - Blaine Gabbert - Trade up to #10 not sure but too early
2011 - Christian Ponder - Considered a big reach at #12 Early but looks good

I'm not all that impressed with the results apparently...LOL

Wow look, all of the QBs that you think are decent or have a future went to teams that either had talent or have added talent since the QB was drafted.. odd how that works. Which is why I didn't rate the rookies, those teams still have a year or two to add talent before a better evaluation can be made but most of them went to teams which were thin..

yebat' Putin
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

When are we ever going to learn you don't pass on a franchise QB period? Stop trying to build like the Ravens and Steelers. Build a team that will win superbowl(s). The ravens screwed around trying to build a team first and waisted 10 years of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed because they never had a franchise QB.

candy...the Browns have attempted to draft their franchise QB twice since 99...without the necessary supporting cast around those QBs to increase their chances of being successful in the NFL.

What some seem to be missing, this is a team rebuilding via the draft and if we drop down two first round picks...#4 and #22 for Griffin, it comes at a cost of stunting the rebuild program.

I posted it before, if the Browns trade #4 and #22 for Griffin, there goes any chance to land an elite WR such as Blackmon, Floyd or Jefferies or even one of the better late first round picks such as Kendall Wright or Sanu.

So we have our inexperienced rookie QB who is not likely to even start this season and if he did start, he wouldn't have a WR corp much different than than last season.

The Browns can draft a QB any time they chose..2013, 2014, etc...AFTER most of the supporting cast is in place. Using this draft and the next to complete the rebuilding of the supporting cast does more to insure a QB's success than spending two first round picks now which will stunt the progress that would have been gained this year, with #4 and #22 picks.

Is RG3 worth a Trent Richardson and a Kendall Wright?

Is RG3 worth more than a Justin Blackmon and a Mike Adams?

I hope you get an idea where I'm coming from...spending #4 and #22 on Griffin comes at a huge price to the rebuilding project.

Now if Griffin can be had at our #4, without any extra picks, that might be acceptable if Holmgren and Heckert believe RG3 "is the one".

jmho...mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What some seem to be missing, this is a team rebuilding via the draft and if we drop down two first round picks...#4 and #22 for Griffin, it comes at a cost of stunting the rebuild program.

I still think it's going to take more than our two 1st rounders..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I still think we would trade down if he is there at 4.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I still think we would trade down if he is there at 4.

You don't think they'd grab RG3 if he's there at 4?

I really will never be any good at guessing what the Browns will take in the draft. the only time I got the first round pick right was on Tim Couch and that was almost a no brainer....LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You could say that the road to Griffen goes threw Cleveland, not St. Louis or Minnesota

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Is Mike Vick worth more than Crabtree and Flozell Adams?

To you and the other Pro-McCoy fans:

1. This league isn't about "finding out" for 2+ seasons IF, IF, IF a player can develop to be good enough...especially NOT at the QB position....that should happen behind the scene with project QBs like McCoy....why on earth should Colt be given more time? Why not Clausen then? He was graded higher by everyone in the draft process...who knows, maybe he would thrive with more weapons around him? Was life fair to him? Did Carolina trade away their 1st overall to "imtpve the team around him" or did they elect to improve HIS position?

2. That was my biggest fear when we drafted McCoy...that we'd waste more time...and here we are...going into his 3rd season and being handed 2011 there are still homers who want to "give him more time" despite Colt handing us a top 5 pick (remember when those homers said: "if Colt sucks, we'll draft high again anyway"...well, HERE WE ARE, DOH) ....most of those fans want Lauvao, Marecic, J.Mitchell etc replaced though....hmm

3. We DO NOT trade away our "future" if we sacrifice #22 (and let's add a 4th rounder worst case)...we'd still have picks in every round and multiple picks on day 3....right now we're holding 13 (!) picks for the upcoming draft....if we sacrifice 1 or even 2 picks, we still will bring in an above AVG draft quantitatively (and, trusting Heckert, most likely qualitatively too)....you guys are getting way too pick happy

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Is RG3 worth a Trent Richardson and a Kendall Wright?

If RGIII is a legit franchise QB then the answer to both of those questions is yes.

All of your negatives involve trading up, which I'm leery of as well.. but what if RGIII is there at #4? Is RGIII and Wright better and Richardson and Wright? By a mile.

What is wrong with RGIII this year and the a top 3 WR next year since you seem to think we aren't going to get any better if we take a QB? Do you think it would have mattered if the Lions had taken Calvin Johnson one year and Matthew Stafford the next or if they had taken Stafford and then Johnson? I don't think it would have mattered.

We have taken 3 second round WRs in the last few years and I don't know if any of them are legit #1 WRs.. should we keep drafting WRs in the first 2 rounds every year until we think we got it right before investing in a QB?

What if the Browns view Little as the next Roddy White? White had two 500 yard seasons then exploded and has been over 1200 every year since.. what changed? Matt Ryan.

yebat' Putin
A
Legend
Legend
A
Just curious here - why is it that people that feel "don't trade 3 first rounders plus" to get Griffin are labeled - in your view, as "pro McCoy"?

In your opinion - would it be possible that "those" people could be called realists?

Is it possible that "those" people have seen so many so called "can't miss first pick qb's" stink it up in the nfl?

Or did I miss the memo that said Griffin was a can't miss all pro hall of famer? If I did, it's because I've been reading all the memos and I just got behind in reading.

Or is it because EVERY year there is a "can't miss" qb prospect. EVERY single year. Do half of them pan out?

Just curious. But, I guess that makes me "pro McCoy", right?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DJ, I don't think that we will need to trade up to get Griffen if we want him.

A bird in hand is worth two in the woods, so even IF another team offers the Rams or Vikings more then the face value of that trade. Our two first round picks still trump that deal (refer to bird in hand). A team would really have to go over board on their offer for us to realistically have to offer anymore and guess what we still have more ammunition to trump most any offer if we feel we should.

We either take Griffen at 4 or entertain any trade offers for the chance to draft Griffen.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Mayock Says Go Get RGIII...

Link Copied to Clipboard