Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
L
Was thinking about different changes that could make the game more interesting or exciting. Here's mine:

Decrease the play-clock to 10 seconds after the ball is respotted -- there are no substitutions between plays unless a timeout is called, or a drive is over, etc.

1.) Would create a much faster pace for the game - the audience gets a lot more action in a few hours.

2.) Probably makes for a faster played game -- 350 lb linemen aren't going to be able to keep up that pace, so you're going to move to smaller, more athletic types. This might also have the effect of decreasing injuries etc (not sure though).

3.) More versatile players - your RB needs to be able to line up as a receiver when it's 3rd and long. One of your every down players needs to punt, etc.

Not sure if it would make for a better sport or not, but would be interesting to see it tried. What are your ideas?

~Lyuokdea
N
Legend
Legend
N
you'd have alot of "cal-style" injuries if that was the case. especially early-on. also, you'd be forcing everyone to go no-huddle the whole game and it'd devolve into a Madden-style game even more. I don't think I'd like that.

I do think that at the HS and college level there should be no kickoff. Let the play start at the 25yd line. No onside kick, which stinks, but I'd rather protect those kids who are not truly compensated for the riskiest play in football. Punt returns are less risky in my mind.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'd alter the NFL Instant Replay system...

I understand it's difficult for an official to make a call instantly, so if replayed, they get to watch it again...

At full speed.

No more slow mo, super slow mo, zooming in crap...

You watch every angle you have, at regular speed, and make your decision based off of that...

Everything looks worse in slow motion...

Oh yeah, and put a fricken camera straight down (and possibly hanging above) the goal line finally...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
If you want to make finishes more exciting, I would go to something like the college rule that in the final 2 minutes of the half and the game the clock stops after a first down until the ball is spotted. That way if you are out of timeouts with 15 seconds left you can still complete a 20 yard pass over the middle and still have time to get up and spike the ball and run another play.

I might also consider narrowing the goal posts... kickers are getting too darn good.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Put spearing back on the books for 15 yards.

Legend
Legend
I would install the playoff OT rules into the regular season as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

+1

And....
1. Change the QB roughing to be more like the Punter/Kicker penalties (Running Into and Roughing). It gives the ref another option. Having a on/off type penalty with a want to protect the QB from hits seems like 15 yards is giving out every other play.
2a. I'm ok with the NFL passing game running the league but let the DBs cover a WR too. Relax the PI calls.
2b. Start canceling PI calls when the ball isn't catchable. I see this once a game.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

+1

And....
1. Change the QB roughing to be more like the Punter/Kicker penalties (Running Into and Roughing). It gives the ref another option. Having a on/off type penalty with a want to protect the QB from hits seems like 15 yards is giving out every other play.
2a. I'm ok with the NFL passing game running the league but let the DBs cover a WR too. Relax the PI calls.
2b. Start canceling PI calls when the ball isn't catchable. I see this once a game.

totally agree about running into/roughing the QB. that would be an outstanding change. so would relaxing the PI calls.

a change i would make would be changing the "offensive line dude moved his butt a centimeter so its a false start" penalty. i think thats so ticky tack.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Two things:

1. Disallow cut blocking. It's still legal in some forms.
2. Cut player pay in half. Place the other half into a lifetime annuity that pays out annually once the player has filed his retirement paperwork with the NFL.

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
1. Call penalites on the Steelers for holding when they are legitimately holding. Please and thank you.

2. Adopt the college style of handling replays. They do a wonderful job and keep the pace of the game going. The NFL just annihiliates us fans with the commercials. It takes 5 minutes to figure out if a guy got a first down or not. Should not be up to coaches.

3. Not sure how I feel about the OT rules but I have a feeling I'm going to prefer going back to the pure sudden death. Or just make it simpler by saying first to 6 points.

4. I think the way catches are handled needs to be fixed. Most notably what happened with Calvin Johnson 2 years ago. A catch is a catch.

5. I honestly like the way college games end more than NFL games end. I'd like to see the 2 minute warning scrapped and go to the clock stopping momentarily on a first down. That's just personal preference and it wouldn't kill me if they left it the same.

Legend
Legend
I would roll most of the rules back to circa 1975.

QB's would be fair game, DB's could actually play a WR, etc...

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
radical! Like Muni rules. I like it. And they run kickoffs back if we go back to the day of real pigskin. PS I would keep the facemasks. . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
It's something I've complained about for years...

Change defensive holding/illegal contact to a 10 yard penalty and repeat the down (no longer automatic first down).

There is nothing worse than a 3rd & 17 play and the worry that a ticky-tack away from the ball penalty will give the other team the first. Let them retry at 3rd & 7, but make them actually earn it.

Original Dawg Talkers Pick'ems Champion

Dawg Talk Member Since: 08/24/01
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'd be all for this one but allow holding. The QB is fair game, if you can get to him.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like to see the "blow to the head" penalties change. When a DL or LB is in the air with his hands up to block a pass, and he hits the QB in the head, I really hate seeing flags fly when the defensive player inadvertently touches the QB's head. I could understand a flag if he takes a swing at the QB, but I really get ticked about those head touches.

The only other thing I can think of is to get the refs to call games consistantly.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I would alter on side kick rules allowing the receiving team who recovered the kick to decline a off sides penalty.

As it is it is a pre snap penalty that turns in to a dead ball violation that results in a replay.

The kicking team shouldn't be rewarded for trying to jump the snap a split, or a lot, hoping the flag won't be thrown.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Allow coaches to challenge penalties

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If a coach throws a red flag anything is reviewable.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Penalties have NEVER been reviewable.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I'd put a few more eyes on all of the positions. Don't have just 5 refs because they can miss important action.

Have another half a dozen guys who each have ONE responsibility to look out for. They can also do it in a booth so that they can do the quick replays and they have essentially until the next snap to see if they can find a penalty ... or to see if one that was called shouldn't have been.

There are too many phantom calls that seem to mess up the game by killing a drive or momentum at times. There are also times when every fan in the stadium is screaming "holding" but the refs were too busy watching other action.

The rules are already in place ... let's just make sure that they are enforced?

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things."

@pstu24
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Penalties have NEVER been reviewable.

You misunderstood what he was saying.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

I'd put a few more eyes on all of the positions. Don't have just 5 refs because they can miss important action.

Have another half a dozen guys who each have ONE responsibility to look out for. They can also do it in a booth so that they can do the quick replays and they have essentially until the next snap to see if they can find a penalty ... or to see if one that was called shouldn't have been.

There are too many phantom calls that seem to mess up the game by killing a drive or momentum at times. There are also times when every fan in the stadium is screaming "holding" but the refs were too busy watching other action.

The rules are already in place ... let's just make sure that they are enforced?

In theory that's good. My concern would be, in reality - it would slow the game down to that of a baseball game. Almost every play would have a penalty.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

This sums it up nicely.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Remove all hard plastic from padding... (except for the Jock) replace it with high impact... high density foam... foam helmets would have a gloss finish

Drop the play clock to 20 seconds...

Allow DBs to jam receivers in the corner/flanking positions the first 20 yards...

Offensive players are allowed to go 5 yds into forward motion before the ball is snapped

Make all players not able to catch the ball wear MMA gloves (joking)

Any offensive player may push off their defender to catch a ball

You can set 2 players into motion on the same down... you may set them into motion simultaneously

Any player not in motion must stay in their stance.. they may not change their stance and they may not move their feet but they may move

All plays are reviewed in the booth... any penalty called gets immediately reviewed and can be overwritten by the booth.

Last edited by The Collector; 03/09/12 09:43 PM.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
My wish list...

1) Allow forward motion before the snap (as long as the player in motion does not go offsides)

2) No fair catch, live ball on the punt

3) Move back the kickoffs again, 300000 touch backs this season were painful to watch

Legend
Legend
j/c

1) I'd change roughing the punter to eliminate when a guy barely hits him and the punter takes a soccer-like dive. Hell, penalize the punter in that case!

2) I'd enforce the penalty against pick plays more.

3) Change the PI call when the guy is within 5 yards and is getting jammed and the QB throws it in the middle of the jam. I remember Peyton Manning getting that call against us. Ball was snapped, our guy was legally jamming the WR, Manning threw it, and since our guy had his hands on the WR when the ball was in the air, we got a PI call.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
A hit to the head of the qb should only be penalized if the qb's head actually moves as a result of the hit. I'm sick of the penalties for someone's hand grazing the helmet.

Move the damn kickoff back to where it was.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'd eliminate the rule that says a punt returner must have a cushion/window to catch the punt. That returner has the option to call a fair catch. If he doesn't, he should be fair game.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

2) I'd enforce the penalty against pick plays more.

Then how would Big Ben ever complete a pass over the middle?

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'd eliminate penalties all together...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
L
2nd String
2nd String
L
I would get rid of the salary cap, I don't really see a point to it besides it limiting what some teams can spend on players.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would get rid of the salary cap, I don't really see a point to it besides it limiting what some teams can spend on players.

That IS the point to it.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
It also limits how little a club can spend on players. (the salary floor) This does, in a way, protect the fans from an owner who would simply collect his share of TV revenue and coast to huge profits. (like happens with the revenue sharing system in MLB)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Exactly.

It is the answer to the New York Yankees mentality. It is also the answer to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

If not for the salary cap, parity would cease to exist completely. Teams like Dallas, Washington, New York (both) and New England would be able to go buy anyone at will. Free agents wouldn't even look at a team like Cleveland unless they had no other options. Teams like Tampa and Carolina would be all over the cheapskate wagon.

The salary cap is probably one of the single biggest factors in preserving a competitive league.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

What one thing would you change about Football Rules?

One point for every time a ball hits part of a goal post. Ding it in, 4 points. Hit it but miss, still get 1 point.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Quote:

That IS the point to it.

I thought the point of the salary cap was to protect Dan Snyder from himself.

As an aside....
If anyone remembers Ted Stepien, owner of the Cavs in the early 80s, Snyder just might be the NFL's version. If you don't know Ted, read this and enjoy the laughs and note the parallels. They created a draft rule that was named after him due to trading #1 picks away for consecutive years. The man missed out on James Worthy and Dominique Williams in 1985.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

+1

2.College overtime rules.
But each possesion must go the length of the field.

2a. Spearing with crown = Immediate ejection.
Unless hit is on the ball and regardless of player position taking the hit. Suspension and fines pending reviews.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Give defenses a chance.

---I don't like penalties that give automatic first downs, scrap that. Pass interference should just be fifteen yards not spot foul.

---If the ground cannot cause a fumble then a receiver shouldn't be denied a catch because as he fell to the ground the ball squirmed a bit. That is so BS in my book. If it came out of his possession and touched the ground then fine.

---I also am on the fence about PAT's. They are fairly useless plays. I think I would rather see teams go for two instead. If you want a PAT push it back to the 25 or so. And the defense chooses left hash or right hash.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I think the clock should stop on first downs like in college. The offense moves the ball and earns a first down, yet is penalized by seconds ticking off while the chains are moved. Doesn't seem right.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think the clock should stop on first downs like in college. The offense moves the ball and earns a first down, yet is penalized by seconds ticking off while the chains are moved. Doesn't seem right.

I said the same thing but I only want it to be done inside 2 minutes left to go in the half and the game. I don't want the game extended by another 15-20 minutes by doing it all the time...

yebat' Putin
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum What one thing would you change about Football Rules?

Link Copied to Clipboard