Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Mourgrym #673299 03/22/12 07:42 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I think the only people that believe he is a 2nd rounder are Browns fans that are still pouting over not getting Luck and RG3. Hell most of them didnt even want RG3 until they were told we couldnt get him lol Kid is top 15 talent in any draft.

I don't want the kid at #4 or anywhere and I think he is a first round talent. I don't even want Richardson or Blackmon, although I could understand Blackmon more than Richardson.

I initially thought that Claiborne would be our pick (and I would not be upset if he was), but I think the full intention has always been to trade back (despite the trade-up offer to St. Louis - which I think was directed by Lerner). It was a silly offer and I'm glad that it fell through.

My inclination is that we'll see another trade down on April 26th and a loading up on more picks, perhaps in this draft or next year and even following years.

I think that OL will be on the minds of Holmgren & Heckert with the first pick. I would prefer DeCastro, but I have the sense that it could be his teammate, Jonathan Martin.

Then, I think they'll go WR with the 22nd pick. I would love to have Stephen Hill here and I think he might be the selection.

ddubia #673300 03/22/12 07:48 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Holmgren has never spent a first-round pick on a quarterback. There's a reason for this. Like Bill Walsh, Holmgren firmly believes that he can take "inferior" quarterbacks and make them into really proficient passers. These "inferior" signal-callers don't have to possess a great or even a very good arm; they just need to make quick decisions, and be accurate in the short and the intermediate passing game. Clausen could absolutely thrive in Holmgren's offense, but I don't think Holmgren would be willing to spend the No. 7 overall pick on the Notre Dame product - even if he is the top quarterback prospect in this class.

Well, Clausen was well off the board when Holmgren would have overruled Heckert and chosen in the 3rd round. If Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen were both there in the third round, it's quite possible that Holmgren would have frozen and unable to make the selection.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just wanted to repost this from another locked thread....

Was curious what people thought of the specific throw I mentioned because I think it's an elite throw.

If you have an opinion please post...there was odd radio silence on it the last time I put it out there.

Quote:

The talent/skill gap between Luck and RGII when compared to Tannehill is huge. This is not one of those "coin flip" MIT decisions

Quote:

show me tape of him looking like a first rounder

Ask and ye shall receive. Watch the throw at 6:38 and let the tape roll from there.

That throw will remind you of someone...Tom Brady.

That's an NFL throw...beautiful footwork, beautiful balance, perfect throwing motion and release to a WR outside the numbers on a line. Simply effortless.

If anyone doubts why I like this guy so much...and Mourg and others just watch this throw over and over and over. That's the potential to go with brains, brawn, durability and college WR athleticism. There it is for all to see.

If Tannehill can make that type of throw with consistency he's going to be a top level NFL QB.

You wanted the proof. There it is.

The rest is just fun with RG3 and Tannehill. Nice scramble at 7:48 too.

btw....A&M beat Baylor 55-28 behind 415 yards and 6 TDs from Tannehill.

[Linked Image]
ddubia #673302 03/22/12 08:40 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

2. Jimmy Clausen, QB - The right pick for the Browns, but one I don't think they're going to make.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Heldawg #673303 03/22/12 11:09 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
might as well poast Tannehill's pro-day instead of baylor's "defense"

#gmstrong
Heldawg #673304 03/23/12 12:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Sorry Heldawg, I did mean to reply to this. I had actually commented on that video in another post prior to that. Yeah, that's a nice throw. It's not the only nice throw in there for him. But isn't that the same game where he throws the middle screen pass to the linebacker? This is a highlight video, and lots of college QBs can make nice throws here and there. I said when I looked at his videos that this game made him look much better than the northwestern and Arkansas games. But again, this is a highlight video. It sure made that wide receiver look good, though.

Showing the highlights of a QBs best game (in a home game no less) doesn't make someone a first round player to me. Yes, he does mostly look good int his game, so thanks for posting this, but it's definitely not enough for me.

Tulsa #673305 03/23/12 12:22 AM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Me

Toad offered a golf vacation replete with female companionship if Tannehill was drafted at 4. I made that prediction a month ago and said Holmgren will figure out how to explain it to the fanbase later.

Now that's not looking like too bad a prediction.

Have you played golf in Texas in July?

Not what some would call a vacation...

Maybe the golf was just an excuse to get drunk and compare the girls to one-another

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Damanshot #673306 03/23/12 12:32 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
8, 17,22, 10, 18, 8, 8, ?

Were they point totals scored by the Browns offense when McCoy got a start?
I think the team scored 22 once and no more than 20 more than once the rest of the year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

might as well poast Tannehill's pro-day instead of baylor's "defense"

Yeah, "Baylor defense" was quite the oxymoron last year ......

They were 110th in pass defense, and 112th in total defense. (out of what, 120 Division 1 teams?) They allowed almost 39 PPG during the regular seaaon.

They were as awful on defense as they were explosive and capable on offense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

8, 17,22, 10, 18, 8, 8, ?

Were they point totals scored by the Browns offense when McCoy got a start?
I think the team scored 22 once and no more than 20 more than once the rest of the year.

No, they were the number of TD's Kosar threw during his career in Cleveland...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #673309 03/23/12 07:45 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

In my best Cousin Eddie voice (after Clark mentioned that Santa's sleigh was on its way from New York): "Are you serious, Clark?"

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
CBFAN19 #673310 03/23/12 08:20 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

In my best Cousin Eddie voice (after Clark mentioned that Santa's sleigh was on its way from New York): "Are you serious, Clark?"

Yeah,,, it's in the record books,, those where his numbers.. Check it out for yourself..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #673311 03/23/12 09:15 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Wow. It's one of those things you read and swear there's no way. Funny thing is, most people would want much better numbers from their QB, but many of those same people (myself included) would take Bernie in a heartbeat!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
CBFAN19 #673312 03/23/12 09:18 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Wow. It's one of those things you read and swear there's no way. Funny thing is, most people would want much better numbers from their QB, but many of those same people (myself included) would take Bernie in a heartbeat!

Are you kidding? Have you seen his mechanics or his footwork? No way, BUST!

Arps #673313 03/23/12 09:22 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Are you kidding? Have you seen his mechanics or his footwork? No way, BUST!

Good point. A team would be crazy to draft a guy like that, let alone move up to get him in a supplemental draft!

Not to mention, he only had 23 college starts.

-Derek Jeter
Damanshot #673314 03/23/12 09:32 AM
Legend
Legend
Different era too. Different passing rules. Far different rules on covering receivers. Far different rules on hitting QBs.

It was night and day different. People played the same positions, but (Hall of Fame QB) Dan Marino, the most prolific passer of that generation, hit 48 TD passes once, 44 once, and hit 30 twice. The rest of his career he was below 30 TD passes every year.

Jim Kelly, Hall of Fame QB, threw 33 TD passes once, and never threw 30 again in his career.

Hall of Fame QB John Elway never threw 30 TD passes in any season he played. His high was 27.

Hall of Fame QB Joe Montana threw 31 TD passes one time in his career.

Hall of Fame QB Steve Young threw 36 TD passes once, 35 TD passes once, and never topped 30 again in his career.

Totally different era with completely different rules.

Last year, Drew Brees threw 46 TD passes. Aaron Rodgers threw 45. Matthew Stafford threw 41. Tom Brady threw 39. Tony Romo threw 31. (he threw 36 in 3007) Eli Manning and Matt Ryan threw 29 each.

It's a different era of NFL football, in case you never looked. The things that worked against rules allowing for receivers to be mugged anywhere on the field no longer work when defenses breathe wrong and get a penalty. Pass offenses have to carry the day today. QBs have to carry their teams today. People talk about receivers who can't get open ...... but our receivers are open, especially when compared to the Kosar days. Go watch a replay of some of those games where receivers had to work for every single inch of space to work in because they were being beaten on the whole way through their route, the whole way down the field. Today receivers can run free, once they get beyond the 5 yard bump zone.

A QB like Kosar got by in those days without a great arm, but with spectacular anticipation, and very good accuracy. If he was drafted today, he would probably be a 30 TD guy in his prime, just because of his anticipation and accuracy ... even without a huge arm.

I would really think that our longer tenured fans (that's older, for guys like me) would remember those days.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

N
Legend
Legend
N
well yeah, back then when you had 3rd and goal from the 2yd line you didn't put 5 WRs on the field and toss a fade to the back corner.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Back then we had Mack & Byner ! .. Of course that offense would never work today .

He said in chartreuse !

waterdawg #673317 03/23/12 10:05 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Back then we had Mack & Byner ! .. Of course that offense would never work today .

He said in chartreuse !

chartreuse?

Color or the wine

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #673318 03/23/12 10:10 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The days of Mad Dog / Ripple and Wild Irish Rose !

waterdawg #673319 03/23/12 10:40 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The days of Mad Dog / Ripple and Wild Irish Rose !

Let's go rippl'en, ripp, ripp, rippl'en

Ooorah!

[Linked Image]

Heldawg #673320 03/23/12 11:02 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Most consider Tannehill top 15. Some consider him top 10. I think to make that final push he will really need to wow at his proday. We will also need to bring him in for a private workout. See how he looks throwing to our receivers.

Whether anyone will want to believe it or not, he is a very strong consideration at 4. 29th is huge. NFL network should have his proday, ESPNU might have it.

Mourgrym #673321 03/23/12 12:04 PM
Legend
Legend
The only way I want Tannehill is if we also get Richardson.

He's going to need a SOLID running game behind him.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #673322 03/23/12 12:14 PM
Legend
Legend
I am coming around on Jeffrey. I think that a combination of Richardson and Jeffrey would eliminate any and all excuses fir this offense.

I have started watching a fair amount of Jeffrey tape, and I think that I may have bought into some of the negative hype a bit, about his weight and all ..... but I can admit when I am wrong. He looks like a premiere receiver ready to take the NFL by storm. He's definitely got premium height, and his body control is uncanny.

I'm convinced. Give me Richardson and Jeffrey, add a RT, and see how McCoy does with that kind of premiere talent around him. Hopefully he busts out and has a huge year, but if he continues to struggle, then we have answered another question for sure.

Mourgrym #673323 03/23/12 12:35 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Just posting Tannehill's game against OSU this past season. It's one of the good edited tapes where it just shows all his offensive plays, not his highlights.

Of course I see the arm and the ability to make all the throws as well as the straight-line speed (he isn't an allusive runner). What I also see are some accuracy issues, some very poor decisions, and a terrible "tell" that he's got to correct. Tannehill has a timing mechanism that needs to be fixed. It's an old-school thing that coaches try to work out of their QB's today, which is to pat the ball before they throw it. Such a thing allows defenders that extra split-second to read what the QB will do. Neither Luck nor Griffin do this. The INT at the 4:40 mark gives a great view of this. The DB is watching Tannehill and you can actually see Tannehill pat the ball before he throws. NFL DB's will get great jumps off of that. That also allows defensive linemen to time getting their hands up to knock down passes.

The INT at the 5:10 mark is just a terrible decision. That shows how far he needs to go before he's ready for the NFL. When he has issues, it's when his first read isn't there. That's very-much a Colt McCoy problem, which is a product of running a wide-open offense in college where your talent level is so much better than the defenses. In the NFL, that advantage is largely negated which exposes the problem.

He somewhat reminds me of David Klingler, in that he throws lower than his actual height, somewhat negating his size advantage.

Now to hear former QB's like Tony Banks say he hasn't seen Tannehill make an NFL throw, well, that's just ludicrous. He has enough power to put the ball anywhere on the field. All the tools are there, but his tools aren't what make me give him a 2nd round grade.

So do I see a guy that is worthy of being selected two spots below the top-2 QB's in this draft? Not at all. I do see a guy who is very worthy of being a starting prospect, but the 3rd best QB in this draft being taken 4th? That's terribly over-valued. He's a project, not a guy who is going to be ready to step right in which is what you want with the 4th pick of any draft.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
OverToad #673324 03/23/12 12:40 PM
Legend
Legend
IMO, if we take Tannehill in the first, he has to start right away, at 37, maybe you could start McCoy and see what happens...

The question I have, is if Tannehill starts right away, will that HELP or HINDER his progression?

How much better can he get sitting on an NFL sideline, versus actually playing?

If we could go..

#4 Richardson
#22 Tannehill
#37 Jeffrey

I'd be "OK" with that, assuming you get a RT in the 3rd/4th that can start right away...

There are TOO MANY WAYS for this draft to go...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I may have bought into some of the negative hype a bit, about his weight and all

I really don't want the guy because I don't understand how a premier athlete can let himself get that out of shape.

But, I am sure we will bring him in for a visit and find out what was going on.

If he passes the Heckert/Holmgren test I don't have any qualms with drafting him.

OverToad #673326 03/23/12 12:41 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Of course I see the arm and the ability to make all the throws as well as the straight-line speed (he isn't an allusive runner). What I also see are some accuracy issues, some very poor decisions, and a terrible "tell" that he's got to correct.

This is what I saw in the games I watched of him, too. I look forward to checking out the game you linked when I'm back home.

OverToad #673327 03/23/12 12:51 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll say one thing for our Board : Tannehill is being Vetted more than Obama was when he ran for President .

waterdawg #673328 03/23/12 12:52 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'll say one thing for our Board : Tannehill is being Vetted more than Obama was when he ran for President .

Are we sure he has a US Birth Certificate?

OverToad #673329 03/23/12 01:02 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I just watched the entire game you posted...the patting should be correctable but I liked what I saw....good timing, accuracy, quick (mostly good) decisions...that 1st INT was actually a good throw that's a 15yd gain if thw WR doesn't slip...Im not sure the DB is reading anything there, he clearly takes his eyes off Tannehill before he throws it, then looks at the ball when it was in the air again..I think you over-interpret that play

His deeper throws seem effortless...the 2nd INT was the only deep pass that was NOT thrown into single coverage and as bad as that play was there still was 1 positive out of it: he kept his eyes downfield and still sensed the pressure, it was a hero INT...we've all seen Favre and Roethli do the same thing when trailing and late in the game...I really like his decision making more than I though I would, for a guy under 20 starts that's already looking pretty promising imho

I'm on Mourg's bandwagon....we should get him...Is he the 4th best prospect day 1? No way, but does he have the highest ceiling of a high value position left? You bet...

Best mix of value-day 1 readiness and upside is Claiborne...the only problem I see is that it'll be tough to keep both Haden and Claiborne 4 years from now and I don't want a top 5 pick gone after 4or5 years

Best VALUE imho is JAX calls us to jump STL for Blackmon, we get an extra 2nd and draft Tannehill at 7...if MIA jumps us, so be it, since we'd still get either Claiborne or Richardson....trading down to 5to7 is the best value and I think every Brownsfan would be happy with whoever is left from Claiborne, Blackmon, Richardson or Tannehill THEN

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I think every Brownsfan would be happy with whoever is left from Claiborne, Blackmon, Richardson or Tannehill THEN

I wouldn't want Blackmon or Tannehill there.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Im not sure the DB is reading anything there, he clearly takes his eyes off Tannehill before he throws it, then looks at the ball when it was in the air again..I think you over-interpret that play

It can ambiguously read that way, but I didn't say the DB waited until Tannehill patted the ball, only that in the NFL DB's will use that as a way to read when he's going to make a throw. I'm also of an old-school camp which says anytime you're trying to change something a QB does at the fundamental or instinctual level, you're not going to have an overwhelming high success rate.

Patting the ball is instinctual. Even though he's young and inexperienced, it's still going to be hard getting him away from that.

We see examples of just how hard it is to get QB's to change things all the time. The most recent example has been all this BS about Tebow shortening his motion. Sure, it looks shorter during workouts, but when the game is going, he reverts back. He always will. It's his natural motion and it's instinctual and it won't change.

Now I do want to be fair and say that this isn't a really big issue. It's not like trying to shorten his release. I'm using it as an example to show why he's not in the same class as Luck and Griffin, and therefore a reach if we were to take him at #4.

Quote:

Is he the 4th best prospect day 1? No way, but does he have the highest ceiling of a high value position left? You bet...

I disagree. That distinction goes to Kalil.

Quote:

Best VALUE imho is JAX calls us to jump STL for Blackmon

I don't think Blackmon has that kinda value, as I don't think he's that much more gifted than the rest of the guys in the class. Do I think he's the best? Yes I do. Do I think I would rather have him over one of the other next two or three receivers AND a 1st round pick next year or the 39th pick in this draft? No I don't.

Gonna steer this back to Tannehill, there's no doubting the tools. However, to put this in over-simplistic terms, he's great at playing catch, but falls apart when he gets pressure or has to read defenses and work down the reads. That doesn't tell me he's a value at #4. That tells me he's a reach out of desperation, and teams that reach have historically failed far more than they've succeeded.

OverToad #673332 03/23/12 01:57 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

he's great at playing catch, but falls apart when he gets pressure or has to read defenses and work down the reads.

Untrue. The kid has excellent composure and does a very good job of escaping pressure and finding the open man. Even when forced to move, he keeps his eyes down field and is looking for the open man.

You are the only one that says he doesn't progress through his reads. I'll take Casserly's and Mayock's word for it as both have stated on numerous
occasions that he does an excellent job in progressing through his reads.

He must improve in his ability to read defenses and that will come with time and experience.

As for patting the ball, this is something he will need to fix and that is by practicing his drops with an oversized football. Makes the QB concentrate on keeping the ball high and using both hands to keep it up high. Patting the ball is something is annoying to NFL coaches and they will get rid of it.

He has come a long way in improving his mechanics also. By the time he played in the northwestern game that dipping the shoulder was almost completely removed.

OverToad #673333 03/23/12 02:01 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
thanks for finding this video. they didn't have it yet the past few times I looked. i'm sure his agent will do his best to get it taken down.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Why? It's a good vid, he had a good game

Per roto:

After watching game film of Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill, NFL Films guru believes he is a superior prospect to 2011 No. 12 overall pick Christian Ponder.
Ponder skeptics may argue that he was a second-round talent. Tannehill possesses a legit first-round skill set, however, with plus pocket mobility, a willingness to "make stick throws," and the ability to make legit NFL throws on game tape coming from Texas A&M's aggressive pro-style scheme. Per Cosell, Tannehill "may have the best pocket command and mobility in the class."

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Mourgrym #673335 03/23/12 02:38 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

You are the only one that says he doesn't progress through his reads. I'll take Casserly's and Mayock's word for it as both have stated on numerous
occasions that he does an excellent job in progressing through his reads.

They undoubtedly have more film than I do. All I have are edited video's of select games. They also have obviously more clout than I do. But I reserve the right to disagree with them. Afterall, here's something Casserly said about Brady Quinn, per CBS draft insider, circa 2007:
Quote:

Brady Quinn would be ranked behind Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler. (Getty Images)
I asked 16 teams last fall for my segment on the CBS pregame show: If you take Brady Quinn in the draft, do you have your QB problems solved? All 16 said yes, and I agree with them.

Taking this a step further, Mayock had Blaine Gabbert rated higher than Cam Newton, and said this:

Quote:

NFL Network chief draft analyst Mike Mayock rendered his verdict on QB Blaine Gabbert following Missouri's pro day Thursday.

"Bottom line, he's the first quarterback off the board, and it wouldn't surprise me if Carolina takes him at No. 1," Mayock said on Path to the Draft.

So sure, they are the talking heads, but sure, they are wrong quite often.

I'm not doing this out of spite, but I wanted to see what Mayock really said about Tannehill. I came up with this:
Quote:

For as much as he likes Tannehill and his potential, however, Mayock doesn’t see the 6-foot-4, 222-pounder as ready to take over as a starter right away.

“Tannehill has 19 starts, and he’s a former wide receiver,” Mayock said. “I can see all the attributes of a Locker in Tannehill. He’s a big, strong kid that can push the ball down the field. He’s athletic. I like everything about him except for the fact that on tape, I think he stares his receivers down and waits for them to come up before he rips it. That’s typical of a young quarterback without a lot of starts. I look at him and say kind of like Jake Locker. He’s going to take a little bit of time. It’s going to take a year or so. Nineteen starts is not a lot of starts for a college quarterback.”

Then this from Mayock's interview with Florio:
Quote:

"There's something pretty interesting about this Tannehill kid," Mayock told Mike Florio.

Star-divide

"You know the background," Mayock continued. "He was their leading wide receiver in '08 and '09, and then gets converted to quarterback half-way through the 2010 season. He's only got 19 starts at the quarterback position, which is not enough, in my opinion, for most guys coming out. Does he have some development ahead of him? Absolutely."

Tannehill is a tall, commanding figure in the pocket with a big arm and the athletic ability to extend plays. The small sample size is a concern, and operating out of a college spread offense, Mayock sees one chief flaw in Tannehill's game at the moment: a lack of anticipation.

"What I see though, Mike, is a kid that has a big arm; understands and has a work ethic and a passion for the game; and the thing that he doesn't have that needs to develop... he lacks some anticipation, and he'll throw late into coverage," Mayock said. "In other words, he doesn't have enough trust in himself yet where he can throw a guy open. He's got to see the guy open before he throws it."

I haven't found anything from Mayock about Tannehill doing a good job of making reads.

To be fair, I did find that Casserly said what you've stated:
Quote:

3. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M. He has only been the starting QB for the past year and half. I like him. He is very athletic. He can make plays running and passing the ball outside the pocket. He has a strong enough arm to throw the deep out, which is a measuring stick for me. He has played in a pro-style offense and operated behind center quite a bit, which puts him ahead of many college QBs. Despite his inexperience at the QB position he has shown me the ability to go through a progression of reading a defense. I have seen him on a number of occasions get to his second or third option. His accuracy is above average. I like his ability to throw deep. He needs some work on his ball placement with receivers even though I like his accuracy. At times, he pats the ball before he throws it. This telegraphs his throws. I did not see him make many "wow" throws, but it is possible I might not have seen the right games. Joe Flacco went No. 18 and Josh Freeman went No. 17 in the first round. I liked both of those QBs coming out, but I would rate Tannehill ahead of them.

But I haven't seen it on the games I've found, which have been numerous. If he's watched all 19 starts then maybe he's seen something I haven't, but on the 5-6 or so games I've looked at he didn't show anything when it came to moving through his progressions. In fact, not too many of the scouting reports around the net say much about his ability to go through progressions.

Sorry, Mourg, but I haven't seen that out of him, Casserly be damned. All I see are locked eyes on his primary, then things break down for him when he has to go away from that. I don't believe he has good pocket awareness, which is different from his escapability in the pocket.

He's a huge risk for us at #4. That's way too soon to take a developmental guy, and if Mayock says he's in the same mold as Locker and the like, Hell no I don't want him at #4.

I'll end today's rant against Tannehill by quoting the source I've found to be the most accurate amongst their piers over the years, which is Walterfootball. Here's their take on Tannehill:

Quote:

Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
Height: 6-4. Weight: 221.
Projected 40 Time: 4.61.
Hand: 9.
Projected Round (2012): 1.
3/5/12: Tannehill is working his way back from a foot injury and couldn't work out at the Combine. However, he has his hand measure, and the number was alarmingly small. Tannehill's small hand size could lead to a lot of fumbles in the NFL. He is getting pushed higher into the first round because of the demand at the position.

Tannehill had some massive games in 2011. He also had some bad performances in the second half of games that contributed to the Aggies blowing big leads, and thereby losing games, to Oklahoma State and Arkansas. Tannehill threw three interceptions per game against the Cowboys, the Sooners and the Longhorns. For the season, he completed 62 percent of his passes for 3,744 yards with 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. Tannehill is an excellent athlete and is very dangerous running with the football. Aside from his passing, he ran for 355 yards with four touchdowns. Tannehill has a strong arm with the potential to grow into an accurate passer. The senior also has special mobility.

Tannehill still needs to make up for a lot of lost time to learn the mental necessities of the position. The lack of quarterbacks in this class pushes him into first round, but he will enter the NFL with only 20 starts at quarterback. Tannehill has a special skill set, but he is going to need a lot of grooming at the professional level. However, the unknown of if Tannehill can handle it, pushes up the riskiness of picking him. He should be a second-day pick, but the demand for the position has seen his stock rise significantly.

I had no idea about his hand-size. That was a HUGE red flag of mine for old Chuck Frye.

Now I like Tannehill even less. He's a 2nd tier prospect who is going to go 1st tier because of desperation. If we do this, we're reaching badly...

OverToad #673336 03/23/12 02:57 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Hey Tolstoy!

How about keeping your replies under 10,000 words.

[Linked Image]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Ok, had some time to kill while some jobs were running and figured I would give it a fair shot. Here is every pass (yds are what he threw, routes are what I could gather as they didn't always show them).

I noted the plays I thought were especially good and bad.

7yd out right – complete & immediate tackle
6yd out right – complete & immediate tackle
8 yd out left – greatly overthrown high and inside, incomplete
QB draw up the middle – good speed – long TD
Move in pocket, find open WR 15yd downfield in middle, complete (nice play)
2yd out (dump off) – fires like rocket and high, incomplete
Roll right, shovel pass
Scramble right, sack (didn’t show downfield)
4yd DB-pick play – 1st down complete (nice design play by Sherman)
6yd out left – DB jumps route and bats it away
-1yd out right – complete and on target
Slant to middle, S jumps route, WR pulls the ball away from him, TD
13yd hitch left, complete
Deep post middle, double covered, batted away
Roll right, hits short dump-off
Short out right – complete
QB draw snuffed out.
Slant/stop middle right, complete
6yd out left thrown out of bounds (WR tripped but the ball was so far out – didn’t look like Tannehill could see the trip before the pass)
Shovel pass
Wide open 10yd slant middle, complete (WR later fumbles)
15yd hitch left – DB jumps route and picks it off (WR did stumble, but DB was playing it inside the whole way. Possible bat away instead of INT without the stumble though)
Deep throw left, DB had WR pinned on sideline and only DB had a play on this ball, incomplete.
Pressure, steps up but gets nothing on the ball, throws short into triple coverage, easy INT
5yd out right, way off target (pressure in front of him)
Feels pressure too late, sack
Nice 20 yd seam route throw and completion (maybe his best throw of the day)
4 yd dump-off to middle
8yd slant, DB had inside, bad read, incomplete
5yd out left, complete (right at the sticks)
0yd screen left, a little pressure and he flubs the pass, incomplete
No pressure, 10yd hitch left, ball batted down at LOS
3yd dump-off to left (on 3rd and 10 – RB makes nice move to make it close)
4yd out left, immediate tackle
6yd stop-route left, immediate tackle (just beyond the sticks though)
Deep go route, DB had good position, ball underthrown, WR doesn’t adjust, incomplete
5yd out left, DB completely jumps, does get completion
7yd out right for 1st down
12yd slant right, WR straight-up drops it.
10yd hitch left, 1st down
QB draw
4yd out left
4yd out left, TD (nice fake-slant by Fuller to get DB to bite in)
Dump-off out right
Deep hitch left (doesn’t show), DB was in position with help from 2 others nearby. Bad read, ball tipped, INT, game over.

Now, why did I highlight a play that ended in the WR fumbling, which has little to do with Tannehill? Because one of his greatest negatives is that he let's what happens in the game affect him to the point where he self-destructs. Happened time and time again last year.

From that point forward, he was throwing the ball much more wildly and not making the same plays he did earlier. During this time, A&M went from a comfortable lead to a 10pt deficit. Outside of 1 really nice throw (one of the better ones that I have seen from him at all), the rest of the way he was checking down more often and bad things were happening when he didn't.

#gmstrong
Heldawg #673338 03/23/12 03:12 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Marino use to pat the ball. But then it didn't really help the DB's other than getting a better look at the smoke coming off the ball as it wizzed by them

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Tannehill v.2

Link Copied to Clipboard