Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
j/c

FA Balance Sheet:

So far, we've signed two FAs (Rucker and Parker) from other teams.

There have been four UFAs signed from our team onto other teams:
Hillis - KC
Vallos - PHI
Hicks - MIA
Adams - DEN

We know what Hillis got and I highly doubt that Adams signed for a minimum deal. If Hicks and Vallos got above-minimum contracts, we're currently in line for two compensatory picks in the 2013 draft. We know we gave Rucker better money than Hillis, and my guess is that Parker probably got as-good-as or better cash than Adams. Probably we're in line for two 7ths next year, or maybe a 6th and a 7th.

Only Brad Maynard is left as a non-cut UFA from our team who may potentially bring an additional comp pick.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think it will still boil down to the dollars. It might only be one ....not sure what Rucker got.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Things I think...
-Jonathon Stewart could be a possibility with the signing of Tolbert making him expendable.
-Any deal involving Tate would come draft day
-Mark Clayton is a name to pay attention to.
-Minnesota and Brown's are playing mind games with each other

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L

~Lyuokdea
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I think Hawthorne is a good possibility. Brown's will get him for a good deal too.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Browns reportedly have LB Jonathan Goff in for a visit.

Could be a nice add at the right price.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4911/jonathan-goff

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Definitely at the right price. Guy's only 26 and has been a good player.

Unfortunately, he missed all last season w/ a torn ACL. So yeah, at the right price . . .

C
Legend
Legend
C
Goff would be a sneaky good signing. He started all sixteen games for the Giants in 2010, but then tore his ACL prior to the 2011 season.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
And the Jets get the Tebow circus !

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Tim Tebow is a New York Jet. PFT.

One day after the Denver Broncos signed Peyton Manning as their new starting quarterback, Denver has traded Tebow to the Jets for a fourth-round draft pick.

The trade ends a tenure in Denver with Tebow that was one of the most astonishing two-year stints that any player has ever had with any team. Tebow was a surprise first-round draft pick in the 2010 NFL draft, then surprisingly became the starter in the fifth game of the 2011 season, and then shockingly led the Broncos to a series of improbable comeback victories and became arguably the NFL’s biggest star.

And now Tebow is with the Jets, one of the many teams he beat with a great fourth-quarter comeback last season. It’s not clear whether the Jets plan to allow Tebow to compete for the starting job, or whether they expect him to be a wildcat quarterback, but the player who’s as famous as any in the league is now in the Big Apple.

Mark Sanchez, Tebowmania is in your rear-view mirror.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Tim Tebow is a New York Jet.

One day after the Denver Broncos signed Peyton Manning as their new starting quarterback, Denver has traded Tebow to the Jets for a fourth-round draft pick, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports.

Link

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Jets are a trainwreck, and that's a perfect place for him.

Finally, Tebow is acquired at the appropriate value and in his appropriate position.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

In what way? Did I miss something?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

In what way? Did I miss something?

Minnesota is leaking info about how much they think of Blackmon and Brown's might be leaking info about the high regards they hold for Kalil and Blackmon. Multiple ways you can look at that..

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Help me out doubleD.the links not working.Who is this Goff fellow?

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Jets totally got robbed.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Jets are a trainwreck, and that's a perfect place for him.

Finally, Tebow is acquired at the appropriate value and in his appropriate position.

Ooof. And I though getting owned by the Pats ONCE a year had to hurt . . .

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
After all the drama between Sanchez, his team mates and the fans/media this signing can't be a good idea. I thought sure he would go to a team with a starting QB who had the FO,fans and team mates firmly behind him ( Pats.,Pack Steelers etc.)

Legend
Legend
Funny thing is that the Jets STILL don't have a QB.

Browns is the Browns

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
If the Jets want to show any semblence of sanity, they will try to fleece the Jags or some other team for Tebow.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I said it before and I'll say it again.

Tebow = 1 playoff win.
McCoy = 0 DIVISION wins.

We'll regret not even going after the kid (for a 4th round pick for crying out loud....would you trade a backup LB or project RT for a starting QB?...durrrrr) after Brady...I mean Chuck...I mean Colt McQuinnFrye "leads" us to 3 wins this year.

Maybe we're on the 8 year plan? Looking for Barkley in the 2013 draft? Me thinks, if that's the case, the current FO won't be around long enough to see it materialize. Heck we're already in the midst of the "13 year plan".

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

We'll regret not even going after the kid

I regret having to type his name on a Browns message board...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Jets got Tebow for 2 (maybe 3 reasons)

#1- Locker Room Chemistry: No one can deny that the Jets locker room became not only a distraction but a major deterrent last season. Tebow is the ultimate character guy and someone likely to add stability.

#2- The wildcat: The Jets have a new OC, goes by the name Tony Sporano, you know Miami's ex-HC who developed the wildcat offense. Now instead of Pat White he was the ultimate wildcat centerpiece, someone who can run AND if need be throw.

Possible #3- Rex Ryan loves being the center of attention: Its no surprise the guy is brash and loves the spotlight (look at his super bowl guarentee last year). Now with Tebow in town the media spotlight and Tebow-mania is back in New York

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Maybe we're on the 8 year plan? Looking for Barkley in the 2013 draft? Me thinks, if that's the case, the current FO won't be around long enough to see it materialize.

Me thinks that is far from the case with the current FO . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Definitely at the right price. Guy's only 26 and has been a good player.

Unfortunately, he missed all last season w/ a torn ACL. So yeah, at the right price . . .

He played MLB, so I'm not sure how he figures into the mix with DQ ... they may move him to the SOLB position and move Gocong back to the WIL
or keep him in the middle and move DQ to Will if we sign him that is.

He came in as a run stuffing LBer, but has really improved his coverage skills and can be a 3 down LBer I think.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Tebow = 1 playoff win.
McCoy = 0 DIVISION wins.

I can play this game too

Dilfer = 1 Super Bowl win
Marino = 0 Super Bowl wins

Me thinks this doesn't prove anything.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I think it will still boil down to the dollars. It might only be one ....not sure what Rucker got.

3/14/2012: Signed a five-year, $20.5 million contract. The deal contains $8 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus. 2012: $1 million, 2013: $2.5 million, 2014: $3.65 million, 2015: $3.5 million, 2016: $4.1 million, 2017: Free Agent

link

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You mean the FO composed of

Holmgren - Who got fired from Seattle in his only FO experience because he was God awful.
Heckert - Who has drafted well for us so far, but had very little say in draft/personnel decisions in Philly.
Shurmur - Who is a first time HC at ANY level.

The same guys who say "we really like our wide receivers." The same guys who took a defensive-minded, blue-collar running football team and turned them into a pass first offense with no QB or WR on the roster. The same guys who wouldn't even give up a 6th round pick for Tebow. The same guys who actually wanted to move up and draft Akili Smith 2.0. The same guys who drafted a 4th string TE last year when it was the deepest position on our team.

The same guys who have won 9 games in 2 seasons.

Yeah I've got a lot of "trust" and "hope" in the FO.

At this point I'm fairly sure we aren't even interested in Blackmon at #4. We'll either draft Richardson at #4 (which might be the dumbest thing ever) or trade down to draft a backup right tackle. Maybe we'll draft a 3rd punter. I mean ours seem to get hurt a lot. It makes sense!

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1061119024

Mark Anderson, Bills agree on deal

By Ian R. Rapoport
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - Updated 27 minutes ago
+ Recent Articles + Recent Blog Entries + Email
E-mail Print (4) Comments Text size Share
When free agency started, it was clear the Patriots [team stats] wanted to keep pass-rusher Mark Anderson, and that he wanted to stay as well. It only remained to be seen if the two sides could agree on money.

When it became clear that wasn’t going to happen, Anderson went on a tour of other interested teams and that journey culminated today when the defensive end agreed to terms with the Buffalo Bills.

According to sportstars inc, Anderson’s representation, the former Patriot has agreed to a four-year deal with the division rival. He will now team up with newly signed Mario Williams, making the Bills pash rush a force with which to be reckoned.

Anderson’s deal is for four years and $27.5 million, including a guarantee of $8 million, according to a source. He will receive $10.5 million in the first two years.

Anderson will be a loss for the Pats. Playing in his only year in New England, he recorded 10 sacks, providing a service the Patriots have lacked for some time. New England’s other 10-sack performer, Andre Carter, is still unsigned.

-— irapoport@bostonherald.com

Ugh. He's 28 and had more sacks last year than Rucker has had in his entire career. Four years 27.5 is pricier than Rucker, and Anderson has always been thought of as a pass rushing guy, so we can't compare their stats directly.

Last edited by CleveSteve; 03/21/12 03:23 PM.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yes, Graff, I have more faith in the current FO, the guys you listed, than you do . . .

FYI, everyone, there is a new Tebow thread where this can now be discussed . . .

The Law Firm LIKELY to become a Bengal

Bunkley to the Saints

Legend
Legend
good. Less chance they take Richardson at 17

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Tebow = 1 playoff win.
McCoy = 0 DIVISION wins.

I can play this game too

Except Marino never played in a super bowl so that proves absolutely nothing. How many division games has Colt played? How many has he won? Is it easier to win a division game or a playoff game?

To make your argument make sense it should read Dilfer - 1 super bowl win vs. Marino - 0 afc east wins....except that's not even remotely true and blows your whole argument out of the water.

My point remains.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tebow = 1 playoff win.
McCoy = 0 DIVISION wins.

I can play this game too

Except Marino never played in a super bowl so that proves absolutely nothing. How many division games has Colt played? How many has he won? Is it easier to win a division game or a playoff game?

To make your argument make sense it should read Dilfer - 1 super bowl win vs. Marino - 0 afc east wins....except that's not even remotely true and blows your whole argument out of the water.

My point remains.

Marino did play in a Super Bowl.

In Super Bowl XIX, Marino and the Dolphins faced off against San Francisco 49ers and Joe Montana in Palo Alto, California. The Dolphins, who had 74 rushing attempts in the previous two weeks, ran the ball only eight times in this game. Marino finished with 29 completions out of 50 attempts for 318 yards, throwing one touchdown pass and two interceptions. The Dolphins lost 38–16 in what was Marino's only Super Bowl appearance.

LINK

And my point was that "my argument" was intended to not make sense....just like your argument.

They prove nothing. Your point doesn't remain.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I'm not singling out any individuals or anything . . .

But here is the Tebow to the Jets thread . . .

Legend
Legend
Oh come on...it's always more fun to debate QBs in a non-QB thread.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No the point is "style" doesn't matter. It's all about winning games.

Go tell Julio Franco he'll never be a good MLB player because he has bad hitting mechanics. Go tell Larry Bird he'll never be a good NBA player because he doesn't have great shooting mechanics. Oops.

Tebow has already won in the NFL! He led his team to the playoffs AND won a game (against an AFC North team to boot)

Colt McCoy can't even win an AFC North game. Not a single solitary one.

I hate the fact that I have to become a Tebow supporter here because anybody who knows me knows I didn't want him in the draft and have never been a "Tebowmania" guy at ALL. But, the fact remains he's 10x the QB Colt McCoy is.

I'd take Peyton Manning over Tebow too...so I totally understand Denver. I do NOT understand Cleveland not even offering a 6th round pick for a guy who would be an upgrade at the most important position on the football field.

So as I said before, it's just par for the course with this wretched franchise.

I also can not get over the fact that there will be up to 3 QBs taken in the first round of the 2012 draft...only 1 of which is a "sure" thing, while the other 2 are COMPLETE crap shoots. Meanwhile a 24 year old, high-character QB who already won a playoff game can't even generate interest for a 3rd round pick. It's really mind-boggling.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So as I said before, it's just par for the course with this wretched franchise.

Go root for Buffalo then (or the Jets since they're getting a QB that's 10X better than McCoy). You are now on my Ignore List (and that's not an easy list to get on).

[Linked Image]

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Report: BenJarvus Green-Ellis will sign with Bengals PFT
Posted by Josh Alper on March 21, 2012, 3:27 PM EDT

Mary Paoletti of CSNNE.com is reporting that running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis will sign with the Bengals as a free agent. Green-Ellis was in Cincinnati for a visit recently and also reportedly drew interest from the Jets. Green-Ellis ran for 667 yards and 11 touchdowns for the Patriots in 2011 after gaining 1,008 yards and scoring 13 times in 2010.

With Cedric Benson not expected back as a free agent, Green-Ellis would likely be playing a lead role in the Bengals running game next season. Bernard Scott will be the other main running option for the Bengals.

The Patriots have a pair of players heading into their second NFL seasons, Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley, at running back to go along with Danny Woodhead.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/21/report-benjarvus-green-ellis-will-sign-with-bengals/

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
Doesn't really affect us... we couldn't really stop *anyone* from running the ball, so it really doesn't matter that they get someone with some notoriety.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
The Broncos turned to what they could do best when they put Tebow into the starting lineup.

They ran the ball. They let him run the ball. They ran the ball 34 times per game. They had the #1 rushing offense in the NFL. They averaged 164.5 yards per game, also #1 in the NFL. They had 129 1st downs rushing. (we had 77 for comparison's sake) They had 20 running plays of 20+ yards.

They became a run 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team.

They were 31st in passing ..... and they only made it to that "lofty" ranking because of the fact that Orton started their 1st 4 games. They passed for 152 yards per game. Yes, they ran for more yards than they passed for.

In their 1st 4 games, started by Orton, they threw for 304, 195, 173, and 273 yards.

They lost 3 of their first 4 games ..... one game they lost was 20-23. Another was 14-17. Then they got blown out by the Packers. They did score 23 in that game though.

Of the games that Tebow started, (regular season and playoffs) the Broncos failed to get out of the teens 9 times. Is that a ringing endorsement for the QB?

Look, I respect the fact that Tebow seemed almost magical with the game on the line. However, that's not enough to make me want to tie my team's future to him. He's more of a specialty type guy, and if he doesn't work out you literally have to help your team relearn a real NFL offense. he simply does not fit our team. What would he do on our team? He didn;t even make multiple reads in Denver, and he's going to make 3-4 read progressions, combined with a pre and post snap read in Cleveland? Not a chance. he's a single read, running QB. That does not fit our team's scheme in any way, shape, or form.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I also can not get over the fact that there will be up to 3 QBs taken in the first round of the 2012 draft...only 1 of which is a "sure" thing, while the other 2 are COMPLETE crap shoots. Meanwhile a 24 year old, high-character QB who already won a playoff game can't even generate interest for a 3rd round pick. It's really mind-boggling.

I fail to see how it's 'mind-boggling' that a gimmick QB who has a career completion percentage of 47% and a 75 career QB rating can't generate a third round pick. The guy is a backup QB ... you don't really spend a 3rd on a backup QB (unless you're the Browns. We draft them to start.)

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agents part V

Link Copied to Clipboard