Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
I think these are our 3 most likely options. Im going to ignore Tannehill at #4 because we could still land him in a trade down option if we wanted (but I don't, he's too much of a reach considering the holes we need to fill).

Scenerio #1: Draft Justin Blackmon at #4

I like to think of this as the Bengals 2011 draft model. This team lacks a true #1 WR and Blackmon is the consensus #1 WR in the class. They say he's not rated as high as AJ Green or Julio Jones but he's better than anyone on the current roster. If we take him at #4 then I'd suspect the #22 pick will be a RT (Adams, Martin, Glenn) or RB (Miller, Martin, or Wilson). The 2nd round pick then becomes RT, RB (which ever wasn't used on #22) or IMO it would be QB Brandon Weeden. Dalton was a 2nd round pick last season who came seemingly from nowhere to lead Cincy to the playoffs. The Browns could hope to strike lightning in a bottle for a QB with 1st round talent but a 28 year old body who could step in with an improved line and a #1 WR he threw to in college and lead Cleveland from obscurity. I imagine if we went this route and didn't draft an RB we'd sign Benson.

Scenerio #2: Draft Trent Richardson at #4

Richardson is the highest rated RB to come out since Adrian Peterson. Of all the players in the draft not name Luck, he seems to be the prospect with the greatest chance of being an All-Pro. 2 years ago with a running game this team actually had something that resembled an offense. Last year with no running game, not so much. Richardson automatically forces teams to prepare for him and hes an all around back, he can run, catch and block. He gives this offense an immediate weapon and a chance to compete in the AFC North. Defenses will focus more on the run which could open up development of the pass. With the #22 pick the focus could be again on RT or getting a WR (Floyd if he drops, Wright, Hill, Jeffery) . The 2nd round pick could then (depending on the #22) RT (Adams, Massie, Sanders), WR (Randle, Jeffery, Sanu) or the Weeden QB option (if they really like another Cousins or Osweiller could be reached for).

Scenerio #3: Trade Down

Now there are numerous scenerios to this one but the consensus is if we trade down its not going to be like past drafts where we drop 10-15 spots, it will only be a few spots to grab a few extra picks. First possibility is a trade with the Rams to #6. No doubt they want Blackmon, but word is so does Jacksonville at #7. Possibly start a bidding war between the two and hopefully nab an extra 2nd and 3rd (or 4th). If we make the trade though we can almost assure that we wont get Blackmon or Richardson (no way he makes it past Tampa at #5). In this scenerio I could see us taking Tannehill (though I still don't want him that high; if by some miracle he dropped to #22 then I'd consider it) or talking to the Dolphins and moving back to #8 for another 2nd rounder. If we trade with the Rams at #6 then I say its either Claiborne or Tannehill. If we traded with Miami back to #8 then most likely Tannehill (Dolphins), Blackmon (Rams), Richardson (Bucs), and Claiborne (Jags) are all gone. At this point you start to consider player like Floyd, Reiff, Ingram, Coples, Upshaw and grab offense with the additional picks you've received. If Kalil somehow dropped to us we could probably get a ransom for him but I don't see it happening.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

This team lacks a true #1 WR and Blackmon is the consensus #1 WR in the class.

#1 receiver and #1 receiver in this class are not the same thing.

Quote:

They say he's not rated as high as AJ Green or Julio Jones but he's better than anyone on the current roster.

Cordy Glenn is better than any of the right tackles we currently have on the roster, should we consider him at pick #4?

I think scenario two should be moved to scenario one. Scenario two should remain scenario two. And scenario one should be eliminated. Also, I would add in a scenario where we draft Claiborne. (That's a lot of scenarios.)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

#1 receiver and #1 receiver in this class are not the same thing.

x Infinity

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I'm tired of trading down, giving up game breakers / changers to other teams, yes I understand we get more picks to fill more holes, but it's time to atleast get 1 game breaker and that to me is Richardson, The game to me is still about running the football,

If at 22 we wanna move down to gather another 2nd round pick than ok lets do it, but dont give the pick away we need real value if we can move down than fill a O-Line hole at RT, perfect place to get the player we want & need.

2nd round address the WR position, after that go best player availible in the most glaring positions we have, another WR, LB CB, another RB wouldnt hurt.

just my opinon.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I'm tired of trading down, giving up game breakers / changers to other teams, yes I understand we get more picks to fill more holes, but it's time to atleast get 1 game breaker and that to me is Richardson, The game to me is still about running the football,

To this point, we have to take Richardson at 4. If we don't intend on drafting Richardson or someone leap frogs us to 3 to take him, we have to trade down. There really will be no other option.

H
2nd String
2nd String
H
Quote:

Quote:

To this point, we have to take Richardson at 4. If we don't intend on drafting Richardson or someone leap frogs us to 3 to take him, we have to trade down. There really will be no other option.

If someone leap frogs us to get Richardson, that would be great. We'd have kalil, who would at a minimum create a bidding war or we could just take him and have two great tackles. Or we could take the corner.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We are looking at a lot of options at RB. The trade down is starting to take shape with the ground work being laid. Hell I would not be shocked with anything Heckert did at this point. Late first to mid 2nd is where most of our area of need is located.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If we trade down it will be the Cowboys as reported....from 4 to 14...for a 1st and 4th next draft and their 2nd this draft

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I could live with that. Probably take our 2nd rated WR or RB first and follow up with the other with our next pick. Question is.. WR first or the RB ? How do we have them rated ? I'd guess we have to go WR first.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I see no RB value at all at 14...and WR neither, but I dont like Floyd in the top 50...not even sure he makes it to 14 though...we could go Kirkpatrick or RT if one of Reiff/Martin makes it there, possibly even Ingram for DE

1a RT Reiff/Martin
1b Trade for another future 1st (and more) and 2nd this year
2a QB Weeden
2b WR Sanu
2c RB Wilson/Martin/Miller (1 will drop by default, you'll see)

How would you like that PLUS 2 additional 1st rounders and 2 more mid rounders in 2013 draft? It is possible...and we would still have picks 67, 100 etc

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yea.. It would be a slight let down from us expecting a walk on stud this year but once you get your head around what "could" happen if the picks panned out, this draft could be THE signature draft we need for years to come and set us up to finish the holes next year with studs.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I've seen and read from "experts", posters, etc that we need to draft Blackmon because it's our biggest NEED or that he's better then anyone we have on the roster....

What I rarely hear is that he's the best available player at that pick. While I'd love to draft a top notch wide receiver, I don't want it to be because of NEED. If the concensus was he was BPA then I'd be all over it but I really feel he is a top 10-15 talent in most drafts. I don't know how often a receiver was picked in the top ten who was shorter then 6'2"....the 2 I can think of off the top of my head (Warrick, Ginn) didn't have steller careers.

If the Browns think he's BPA then I hope they take him....PLEASE don't do the easy or popular thing if you don't believe in it!! Thankfully, I think Heckert has that mindset....Holmgren I'm not too sure about.

I'm one of the guys that would be fine taking 3 defensive players in top 3 picks if that's how the board grades out (Claiborne, Gilmore/Whitney/Ingram/Upshaw, David/Brown/Curry)

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm one of the guys that would be fine taking 3 defensive players in top 3 picks if that's how the board grades out (Claiborne, Gilmore/Whitney/Ingram/Upshaw, David/Brown/Curry)

Ugh don't tease me, even if say Young turns out to be a serviceable Safety, with that assuming everyone pans out the Defense is COMPLETE...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I like the Boise State safety as a 2nd rounder....Not sure where he's rated on most boards but I don't see him lasting till 3rd round

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
I've heard talk of taking a guy like Minnifield in the 3rd or 4th and moving him to Safety.

I'd be ok with this, as long as we also drafted a Corner.

1: CB Claiborne
1: DE Whitney Mercilus
2: WR Jeffrey
3: OT Bobbie Massie
4: DB Chase Minnifield
4: RB Isaiah Spead

I'd be fine with that...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Quote:

Quote:

Ugh don't tease me, even if say Young turns out to be a serviceable Safety, with that assuming everyone pans out the Defense is COMPLETE...

I could understand this draft strategy if our offense was better, but we won't win many games drafting D with our first 3 picks, hell we can't score 10 points now. Sure our D will be complete but who knows what will be available next year. What is the goal every year, win a super bowl, when you put a product on the field you know will not compete for one that is BS for your fans!!!

Legend
Legend
I think our Offense is going to be better than last year regardless, just based on osmosis or something... I mean it can't possibly be worse...

And beyond QB, we need a RT and a WR right now IMO... We can get those AND still finish off the defense...

And if we grab a guy like Richardson at 4 (I'd like to trade back to 6 or 8 and grab him) that'll help the offense aswell...

There are VERY few ways I can see this draft ending completely bad for us (One of them is currently happening in the "You be the GM" draft thread) so I'm pumped...

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

If we trade down it will be the Cowboys as reported....from 4 to 14...for a 1st and 4th next draft and their 2nd this draft

Wow! Boy I hope that doesn't happen. that's alot to get, but my first thought is, ok maybe they'll get Ingram there, but they arent' even bringing him in for workouts. They are bringing Mercilus in for workouts, and if they take him, well he's a player, but not the top one.

OK, so, Heckert is on record saying they won't trade down past 8, or was it 10, but it sure wasn't to 14, I hope he dosen't go clear to 14.

Who would Dallas be trading up for? That makes me think, because if so, then they'll beleive in a player enough to give up a 1st next year, and a 2nd and a 4th this year, plus use this years 1st pick, Who does Dallas want that much?
...Wow.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
N
Legend
Legend
N
3 1st rounders in 2013 (including our own) + still get Reiff/Sanu/Miller? I'd be very happy with that draft haul and would even look past the Weeden pick

if we got L.David or R.Lewis for WOLB in round3, then that would just be fantastic.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I love Justin Blackmon, but I think that if Richardson is there at 4 and we don't get some ridiculous trade offer (think a first next year), then we're staying at 4 and picking him.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
#4 trade down with Jags for #7 and 38
#7 QB Ryan Tannehill
#22 OT Cordy Glenn
#37 RB Doug Martin
#38 WR Alshon Jeffery
#68 TE Ladarius Green
#100 OLB Bruce Irvin
#118 S Winston Guy

Legend
Legend
Quote:

#4 trade down with Jags for #7 and 38
#7 QB Ryan Tannehill
#22 OT Cordy Glenn
#37 RB Doug Martin
#38 WR Alshon Jeffery
#68 TE Ladarius Green
#100 OLB Bruce Irvin
#118 S Winston Guy

Does Tannehill start Day 1.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

He has to....also if we do this we need to add trading Colt to Somebody on draft day, last thing we need is another QB controversy.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down

First, I do not see Richardson or Blackmon as the only elites at their position, so if another team believes they are and wants to trade with the Browns...I trade down if the price is right.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You cant get top quality by trading down year in and year out. Might be different if our foundation was stronger, i.e. skilled positions actually had skilled players in the them.

I like Richardson but if they went Tannehill on sheer potential AND started him, (Who would mentor him if he didnt? Colt?) I'd probably live with that.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

He has to....also if we do this we need to add trading Colt to Somebody on draft day, last thing we need is another QB controversy.

why? Brees/Rivers, Warner/Eli, etc. No reason to start your high draft pick before he is ready and no reason to trade your incumbent at his lowest value point.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe we would keep Colt the starter until Tannehill was clearly ready to go. Hell, I would start him day 1 but grooming a QB for a year or even two has some clear advantages.

The team would have more confidence in him if groomed. He would have a mastery of the offense and not just a basic working knowledge. His confidence would be sky high from having the full grasp of the offense. In that time, he can really focus on cleaning up mechanical issues and developing chemistry with his offensive weapons.

Shurmur started Bradford day 1. Tannehill will have a decent grasp of the offense considering he has 2 years in the system. So I could see him beating out Colt in camp but Holmgren will stack the odds against that happening.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'd be ok with that, probably give us enough ammo to go up and get Barkley or another QB they like next year if we are not in a position to draft them with our pick.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You cant get top quality by trading down year in and year out. Might be different if our foundation was stronger, i.e. skilled positions actually had skilled players in the them.

You assume that only skilled players are at the tip top of the draft. Top quality players can be found in any round (as well as busts).

To me, a top 1st, medium 1st and low 1st can all deliver the same chance at greatness. You have to know the player and how they'll fit in your team. There's no way you can assume the tip WR taken in the draft is always going to be better than all the others taken below him.

Note: I'm not say EVERY pick in the draft has the same chance at success. A low 1st and a top 2nd pick are relatively the same. A top 2nd versus a low 6th.....obviously not.

That's why I'm all for trading down a few spots to get an extra pick in the 2nd. We'd only drop a tiny bit and increase our chance at hitting with taking another player in the 2nd. Sometimes it's not about putting all your eggs in one basket.....I want lots of new talent, not just 1-2 guys.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

That's precisely WHY you trade down to acquire more high picks: To build the foundation.

If we tried to gain one elite player every year, we'd suck forever because we have such a low talent pool.

If I knew we could trade down from 4 to the bottom of the first round while picking up numerous future 1st and current and future 2nd rounders, I'd do it before my next breath.

Bottom line is compared to the vast majority of teams in the NFL we have an inferior talent pool. Best way to fix that is to sacrifice the #1 players at any given position so we can trade down and acquire two #2 or #3 players at any given position. Those guys have less of a chance of being a superstar but we aren't a few superstars away from being good.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend

I will select door number two.

The reasons are obvious and the logic is sound. BPA.

Legend
Legend

Last year was great timing and they had the partner to dance with and trade down.

This year they have to have someone who can get to the end zone from anywhere on the field.

Take Richardson then pick the best receiver available with the next pick. Or, If there is a good RT prospect then take him and look for the receiver in the second.

Reverse plan: Take Blackmon, then RT, then Doug Martin in the second.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Quote:

That's precisely WHY you trade down to acquire more high picks: To build the foundation.

If we tried to gain one elite player every year, we'd suck forever because we have such a low talent pool.

If I knew we could trade down from 4 to the bottom of the first round while picking up numerous future 1st and current and future 2nd rounders, I'd do it before my next breath.

Bottom line is compared to the vast majority of teams in the NFL we have an inferior talent pool. Best way to fix that is to sacrifice the #1 players at any given position so we can trade down and acquire two #2 or #3 players at any given position. Those guys have less of a chance of being a superstar but we aren't a few superstars away from being good.

That makes so much sense it hurts...nicely done.

FWIW, it also perfectly sums up why Colt should get another year with some actual talent around him.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I refuse to acknowledge that my statement implies, reflects, suggests, or otherwise supports Colt McCoy. Thank you.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Do that AND keep this fanbase happy...

Bottom line remains, you still must draft well.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

I refuse to acknowledge that my statement implies, reflects, suggests, or otherwise supports Colt McCoy. Thank you.

Zing.

So you think Colt should get TWO more years to prove himself then...right?

How do you turn on the purple thingy anyway?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C,

DYK Justin Blackmon had 252 receptions and 252 points in his college career (262 total touches including 9 rushing attempts and one PR for a TD).

Interestingly enough Trent Richardson also scored 252 points, but it took him 636 (540 rushing attempts / 68 receptions/ 28 KO returns) touches in his college career to do what Blackmon did with 262 touches.

Richardson scored a point every 2.5 touches
Blackmon scored a point every 1.03 touches.

Who’s was the better playmaker?

Who will be the better playmaker?

My answer is the same for both ... Justin Blackmon.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
So what your saying is, it's easier to score a touchdown when you get the ball beyond the LOS, as opposed to behind it...

And that proves what how?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So what your saying is, it's easier to score a touchdown when you get the ball beyond the LOS, as opposed to behind it...

The WR is a bigger weapon in the bigger scheme of things.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The WR is a bigger weapon in the bigger scheme of things.

So all that matters is how many points they score?

So how many points did Joe Thomas score last year? Ahtyba Rubin? No? No points for either of them?

Interesting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Blackmon, Richardson, or trade down

Link Copied to Clipboard