Next Thread
Print Thread
#679408 04/03/12 11:01 PM
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
I've got a free weekend next week and was hoping to do some hiking...i'd prefer something with some elevation and moderate-to-difficult terrain....any recommendations.

I was thinking of driving down to Missouri and also trying to catch a Cubs v Cardinals game in St Louis

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
Not too familiar with the Ozark trails. These three areas have gotten good reviews:

Porkies in the U.P.

Dolly Sods wilderness in W.V.

Red River Gorge in KY

There are numerous trails in the Smokeys that will test your mettle. I've hiked more than a few of them. I heard that the Zaleski backpack loop in SE Ohio is a decent hike for a short drive. Backpacker magazine's website is loaded with info on hikes for specific areas.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Love the Dolly Sods! That whole area of WV is great, in fact I just got back from there. Blackwater Falls, Canaan Valley, Spruce Knob, Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods all have some great hiking. Seneca Rocks is GREAT from rock climbers too. It's one of the places WWII soldiers trained for storming the beach at Normandy.

It'd be a bit of haul for you to get there though. From NE Ohio, it's about a 5 hour drive.

[Linked Image from i75.photobucket.com]

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would recommend the Red River Gorge to anyone. Beautiful scenery and fantastic trails.

Legend
Legend
WOW!! Dude-

Quote:

Red River Gorge in KY

Beautiful, rugged, demanding (dangerous after dark), with some really breathtaking vistas.... and a lot closer than the Ozarks.

From our base camp, it was at least 1 mile and 300 ft. elevation change to get to the water source. My trip was almost 30+ years ago, and I still carry the walking staff I made on that, my first backpacking trip.

The day before we were scheduled to leave, I was standing on a narrow ridge, when not one, not 2... but at least 20 hawks floated up past me, riding thermals! It was one of those miraculous things that Ma Nature grants only to those who respect Her, and allow themselves to enter into partnership with her. It's a gift I'll cherish until I draw my last breath.

Red River Gorge, KY. It's a must-see for any outdoor lover.

Thanks for bringing back the memories, Jfan

And p,s, Zaleski was where I proposed to my wife, 28 years ago this June.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I did a lot of rock climbing in the Red back in the late 90's. While it is stunning in its beauty it has it's issues, unless things have changed that is. Don't leave anything of value at all in your vehicle. Climbers frequently returned to their vehicles after a long day climbing only to find smashed windows and all their gear they left behind gone. We wouldn't even leave our tents up during the day while we were away from camp. Total pain in the butt to break camp every morning, hike around with all of camp on your back, climb all day, then have to set up again when we returned to camp. It was better than having everything stolen.
Hopefully they've stopped that insanity.

[Linked Image]
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
WV may be close to you but living in Milwaukee is is longer or about the same...thinking more Western Michigan, WI, MN, IL, MO areas

Legend
Legend
You should consider the UP then. The Porcupine Mountain and Painted Rock parks both have gorgeous moderate to strenuous hikes according to the UP hiking guide that I have. The pics show some breathtaking scenery. I'm definitely going to head up there next summer.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
W
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
W
My concern was the temperature up there in early spring but will definitely check out the forecast

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Midwest Hiking spots?

Link Copied to Clipboard