Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7772584/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-says-think-best-qb-nfl

Aaron Rodgers. Tom Brady. Eli and Peyton Manning. Drew Brees. Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco and his agent believe he's right there with the elite class of NFL quarterbacks.

Hensley: Flacco must back up words

The Ravens' Joe Flacco should believe he's the best QB in the NFL. But now that he's said it, Flacco needs to play like it, says ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley. Blog

Flacco's agent, Joe Linta, created a stir in February when he said Flacco should be considered a top-five quarterback based on wins and losses.

Flacco took it one step further Tuesday, telling WNST 1570 in Baltimore on Tuesday that he believes he's the "best" quarterback in the NFL.

"I assume everybody thinks they're a top-five quarterback," Flacco said when asked where he thinks he ranks among NFL quarterbacks. "I mean, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'm top five, I think I'm the best. I don't think I'd be very successful at my job if I didn't feel that way. I mean, c'mon? That's not really too tough of a question.

"That doesn't mean that things are going to work out that way. It just means that's the way it is -- that's the way I feel that it is and that's the way I feel it should be."

Brees, Rodgers and Eli Manning have won the last three Super Bowls, while Brady and Peyton Manning both own multiple NFL MVP awards.

Flacco's numbers dipped slightly in 2011, with his completion percentage, passing yards and touchdowns all taking a hit as he threw two more interceptions than he did in 2010. However, the Ravens were 12-4, won the AFC North and were a Lee Evans dropped pass away from representing the AFC in the Super Bowl against the New York Giants.

A first-round pick in 2008, Flacco has one year left on his rookie contract, but isn't concerned with what other quarterbacks make.

"It's not about the money. It's about what you feel you deserve," Flacco told WNST. "At the end of the day, they'll take care of it and I'll be waiting."

Still, Flacco said he wants to get a contract finished before the season starts.

"I hope that we both want to get something done before the beginning of the year because when the year comes and goes and I haven't been re-signed, then that's when things can start to get complicated," Flacco told WNST.

Pro Bowl running back Ray Rice, a restricted agent, was given the Ravens' franchise tag earlier in the offseason and has yet to work out a longterm deal with the team. Flacco hopes to avoid the same situation.

"You don't want to get to the point where you play out your contract and you get to those complicated situations where they can put the franchise tag on you and things like that," Flacco said. "I don't really want it to get to that point just because of that. If we do, it's not going to be a distraction. It's just going to be what it is."

Information from ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley contributed to this report.

Flame on.

Legend
Legend
He's saying he HAS to think he's the best to maintain the confidence to perform his job. I've heard it before and I get why they say it.....but it doesn't make sense.

Confidence doesn't have to equal narcissism.

Thinking you're the best only blinds your areas of weakness and gives you a false sense of confidence.

Maybe he's being coy, maybe he's trying to repeat the 2011 Eli quote to conjour a similar Super Bowl run, maybe this is all show for the Ravens FO to lock that Top-5 QB contract or maybe he truly believes he's the best in the game.

He was one dropped pass away from being in the Super Bowl.....but that still doesn't mean he's the best.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
This guy is always saying he doesn't get enough respect, or he is better than what people think. Now he is the best in the league?

Whine whine whine.

Legend
Legend
That man needs drug tested ASAP

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If you listen to the interviewer, the guy asked a stupid question. What do you want him to say? It was the same stupid question asked to Eli last year.

Do you want him to say, "realistically, I'm just a decent QB........."

I hate the Rats, but it's the same stupid thing they did to Eli last year.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
N
Legend
Legend
N
I think it's a silly question and answer. Really, no problem with it.

I'd want him to say something like:

"well, Eli is the defending champion for the 2nd time now, Tom has 3 rings, Peyton has a ring as does Drew. until I win one, I can't consider myself better than any of them. I plan on rectifying that this season."

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/k

I realize a QB has to think thier the best in order to keep up thier confidence, but common, there are other ways to answer stupied questions like that. joe needs to learn the art of bye passing stupied questions or just comming out and asking the reporter, "How do you feel I should answer that" or "Your the writter, where do you feel I rank with Eli, payton, Brady & Rodgers" There is a thousand ways to avoid sounding the way he sounded in that interview.

But thats just me

Legend
Legend
well. it worked for Eli.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Great answer, exactly what you want him to say. It's on local radio, so it's not so much bragging. At least you could argue he's top 10.

Sure he's the best Qb, in Maryland.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:

Great answer, exactly what you want him to say. It's on local radio, so it's not so much bragging. At least you could argue he's top 10.

Sure he's the best Qb, in Maryland.

Are you sure?
I'm sure there's a high school kid out there that makes better decisions than he does on field while quarterbacking.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

"I assume everybody thinks their unibrow is a top-five unibrow," Flacco said when asked where he thinks he ranks among NFL unibrows. "I mean, I think mine's the best. I don't think it's top five, I think it's the best. I don't think I'd be very successful at my job if I didn't feel that way. I mean, c'mon? That's not really too tough of a question."

I think that's a more accurate transcription of the discussion.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

"I assume everybody thinks their unibrow is a top-five unibrow," Flacco said when asked where he thinks he ranks among NFL unibrows. "I mean, I think mine's the best. I don't think it's top five, I think it's the best. I don't think I'd be very successful at my job if I didn't feel that way. I mean, c'mon? That's not really too tough of a question."

I think that's a more accurate transcription of the discussion.

Legend
Legend
It's obvious he was talking about current NFL unibrows.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It's obvious he was talking about current NFL unibrows.

It's a good thing he stayed in the NFL because Anthony Davis is going to rock the pro sports unibrow world in a few months.

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
(me on google image search)

Orpheus Roye? Nope. Robaire Smith? Nope Gerard Warren? Nope Shaun Smith? Nope...some singer... Shaun Smith Cleveland? Nope Kenard Lang? Yes!

I felt bad making fun of his unibrow...so here's a link to his charity
Kenard Lang Foundation

Last edited by Kingcob; 04/06/12 10:41 AM.
Legend
Legend
Since the return, Kenard Lang was one of only 3 players that I was truly sad to see leave the team.....Jamir Miller, and Peyton Hillis were the others.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Flacco: 'I think I'm the best' QB

Link Copied to Clipboard