Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#685053 04/25/12 04:49 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Trent Richardson is No. 1 player on Jets draft board
Posted by Evan Silva on April 25, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
Trent Richardson AP

The Jets are moving back toward a “ground-and-pound” offensive approach, but lack a difference-making running back. Coming out of Alabama, Trent Richardson is expected to be a game changer at the next level. The Jets certainly think so.

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio is reporting that Richardson is the No. 1-rated player on the Jets’ draft board. Sal Pal was invited to sit in Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum’s office along with coach Rex Ryan on Wednesday, so he obviously has trustworthy insight here.

Would the Jets consider trading up from the No. 16 pick into the top five, in order to land Richardson? Richardson thinks they might after Jets officials contacted him on Sunday night.

“They wanted to know my information as far as whether it’s the right number to reach me in case something does happen, with them trading up,” Richardson revealed.

Paolantonio’s story does acknowledge that a Jets trade up is a “long shot” because such a deal would require a hefty dose of compensation. Tannenbaum has a history of moving up the draft board, however. He did it in the 2007, 2008, and 2009 first rounds.

Those trades netted the Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, tight end Dustin Keller, and quarterback Mark Sanchez. web page

Last edited by Mourgrym; 04/25/12 04:51 PM.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

The Jets are moving back toward a “ground-and-pound” offensive approach,

Maybe the J-E-T-S didn't get the memo that this is a passing league now. I am thinking if Heckert let Ryan play with his feet we could get an extra 1st out of it.

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill could be wildcard in Browns’ plans

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer
Published: April 24, 2012 - 11:29 PM | Updated: April 25, 2012 - 07:33 AM
tannehill_1
Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill (17) throws the ball against Baylor defender Tevin Elliott (18) during the first half of an NCAA college football game Oct. 15 in College Station, Texas. (AP Photo/Jon Eilts)
View More Photos >>
RELATED STORIES

Cable networks have NFL Draft smothered

In January, Ryan Tannehill used crutches to walk down the aisle at his wedding. On Thursday night, he shouldn’t have a problem strolling onto the stage at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

But how early will Tannehill’s name be called during the first round of the NFL Draft? The answer, at least in part, hinges on which teams believe he’s capable of becoming a franchise quarterback. It’s a tough call to make, especially because Tannehill had only 19 starts as a collegiate quarterback after converting from wide receiver midway through his junior season at Texas A&M.

“If you take him at face value today with 19 starts, he shouldn’t be a top-10 pick,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said last week during a conference call. “He’s got a lot of potential. I love the kid. I love his work ethic. I love his potential, but he shouldn’t be a top-10 pick, maybe not a top-15 or 20 pick. But in today’s NFL, there’s a good chance he will be.”

The 6-foot-4, 221-pound Tannehill could be a wild card in the Browns’ draft plans. NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reported the organization is considering taking Tannehill fourth overall. Because of the premium placed on quarterbacks, some believe he could be chosen as early as No. 3 if the Minnesota Vikings trade the selection.

The Browns’ bigwigs have repeatedly said they’re willing to use picks in this year’s draft to surround Colt McCoy with better offensive pieces and give him another chance to prove himself as a starting quarterback. Still, the franchise’s failed bid in the sweepstakes for Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III proves it’s not content with the position.

During his pre-draft news conference last week, General Manager Tom Heckert would not rule out the possibility of taking a quarterback with one of the Browns’ first three picks (Nos. 4, 22 or 37). That could mean the Browns will target Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden at Nos. 22 or 37, but it also could mean Tannehill is in the picture. Of course, at this time of the year, it could be a smokescreen, too.

Perceived rise

At the end of the 2011 season, most draft analysts labeled Tannehill as a prospect with a chance to sneak into the first round. Now it would be considered at least somewhat surprising if he lasts past No. 8. The Miami Dolphins are a logical candidate to take him there because they need a quarterback and their new offensive coordinator, Mike Sherman, coached Tannehill at Texas A&M.

Heckert said the notion of Tannehill’s stock only recently rising in the minds of NFL talent evaluators is a misconception. Nevertheless, the buzz surrounding him increased dramatically after he recovered from the broken right foot that he suffered while training in January. Tannehill’s fractured fifth metatarsal required surgery, relegated him to crutches on his wedding day and forced him to remain idle in February at the NFL Scouting Combine.

In late March, Tannehill had an impressive pro-day workout in front of 60 NFL scouts representing 22 teams. He completed 65-of-68 passes, two of which were dropped, and posted a time of 4.62 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Offensive coordinator Brad Childress and quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple attended the workout in College Station, Texas, on behalf of the Browns. But on the same day, Heckert and coach Pat Shurmur went to the pro-day workout of Alabama running back Trent Richardson instead of watching Tannehill.

“Tannehill’s received a lot of hype, especially late in the process,” Pro Football Weekly analyst Nolan Nawrocki said this month during a conference call. “He worked out exceptionally well. There’s never been any question going back to last summer, I think everyone recognizes a huge upside and his potential. From a physical standpoint, he has everything you want in a starting quarterback. I think the pro day helped cement his status in the eyes of a lot of evaluators around the league.”

The Browns also hosted Tannehill for a pre-draft visit at their facility in Berea. In a radio interview Monday, Tannehill told 92.3 The Fan that his visit with the Browns was delayed by two days because of bad weather in Texas, and the change in schedule prevented him from meeting with President Mike Holmgren, who has built a reputation as a quarterbacks guru. Tannehill, though, said he met with Heckert and the entire offensive coaching staff. He also interviewed with the Browns’ contingent, which included Holmgren, at the combine.

Is he ready?

Heckert said if he were to use a first-round pick on a quarterback, he would want him to start right away. And Heckert doesn’t buy the popular notion that Tannehill would need a year or two to develop before playing, citing the fact that Tannehill played in a West Coast offense at Texas A&M and learned the system from Sherman, a disciple of Holmgren.

Former Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Tom Rossley, who served as Tannehill’s quarterbacks coach at Texas A&M, believes Tannehill’s knowledge of the West Coast offense is attractive to the Browns and other NFL teams.

“I think it’s a big factor,” Rossley said in a recent phone interview. “Your first year in training camp, he’s going to get the attention of the veteran receivers, the veteran offensive linemen because he’s going to already know the protection, he’s already going to know the progression of reads to the receivers. He’s going to be able to work with those guys and be on the same page immediately, and that’s important.

“He’s a really good passer, he’s accurate, throws a great spiral, understands the game and would make a great coach because of the way he studies and prepares. I know [the Browns use] Mike Holmgren, West Coast terminology, and Ryan Tannehill will understand all that and be able to fit right in immediately.”

But Rossley also believes Tannehill, who wants to become an orthopedic surgeon after he’s done playing football, would benefit from receiving time to develop.

“I think if he doesn’t have to start immediately, I think that would help him to make the adjustment,” Rossley said. “But he’s going to be a great quarterback as long as he doesn’t go somewhere and have to play too quick in front of a bad line and gets ruined.

“To come in and be able to anticipate the speed of the receivers and DBs and make those throws with anticipation, you’ve got to do it for a while and just play faster and make faster decisions. Hopefully he goes somewhere where maybe he’s got a year to develop and do that.”

Tannehill is confident he’ll become a successful quarterback at the next level.

When asked at the combine whether he believes he can start as a rookie, Tannehill said: “Yeah, I think so. It kind of depends on the situation of whatever team drafts me. I’d be excited just to go in and compete with the guys that are already on the roster or any of the guys that they potentially bring in. I’m excited to go in to a team, compete and I want to be a starter. It’s a goal of mine. I don’t just want to go make a team. I want to go play. I want to make an impact and lead a team to a Super Bowl. I’m having high expectations. But I drive myself and pride myself on setting my goals high and doing everything I can to achieve them.”

Now he’s on the brink of learning where he’ll chase his dreams. web page

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Browns should draft Blackmon-MKC

CLEVELAND -- On the eve of the draft, I'm sticking with what I've been saying all along: the Browns should draft Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon at No. 4.

And not only if Trent Richardson is gone at No. 3. The Browns should jump at the chance to draft the best receiver in the draft even if Richardson is available.

Has everyone forgotten what it took for Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff to get Julio Jones last year? In moving up from No. 27 to No. 6, he gave the Browns a second, two fourths and this year's first (No. 22 overall).

The Browns can draft the No. 1 receiver in this class by merely plucking him off their board -- unless the Vikings take him at No. 3 or a team such as the Rams trade up with the Vikings to get him.

I know all about how great Richardson is. But the Browns can still get a good running back such as Boise State's Doug Martin at No. 22 or No. 37. That would give Cleveland the best wideout in the draft and a dynamic, exciting back in Martin to add to Montario Hardesty, Brandon Jackson and Chris Ogbonnaya.

The Browns have said they'll surround Colt McCoy with weapons, and Blackmon is just what he needs. He caught 38 TD passes over his past two seasons, can fight for the ball and is great at run-after-the-catch.

Look at what No. 4 overall pick A.J. Green did for Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton last season: helped him get to the playoffs. The Browns will still be able to run the ball effectively -- behind their stellar offensive line -- with a lesser back than Richardson.

At the NFL Annual Meeting last month, Browns general manager Tom Heckert said Blackmon is not the typical prima donna receiver and that he's as good a kid as he is a player. He also said he's completely fine with his 6-1 height.

It's a pass-oriented league right now and the Browns need to climb aboard. Richardson might be the next Adrian Peterson, but Blackmon is the right man for the Browns job.

Just to add to that...If you look at the free agent Market and look at the cost of Mediocre WRs it make more sense trying to get the highest quality WR available in the draft and lock him up for 4-5 years(although I think they can only go 4 now).

"Going from 4-12 to 6-10 isn't good enough. I believe we are going to be better than that. We're going to be a lot better than that." - Mike Holmgren (3/15/12)
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wouldn't do it..for anything. Not this year. We already have two first round picks and a crap ton of Lower picks which Heck said can be used to maneuver in the draft. If We want an extra 3rd than trade our two 4ths. If you need to add a 4th trade our Two 5ths. If we need a 5th we can trade our 6th and 7th. We have ammo to get extra higher picks without trading out of 4.

I'd do it in a heartbeat because in all likelihood we'd be getting a 2nd this year and maybe their 1st next year.... you can do a lot of good for this team with additional picks like that and STILL get a quality player at your new spot.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe the J-E-T-S didn't get the memo that this is a passing league now. I am thinking if Heckert let Ryan play with his feet we could get an extra 1st out of it.

i'm shocked Tannehill isn't #1 on Ryan's board. Ryan's g/f has huge feet (no seriously)

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Lauren-and-Ryan-on-field1-428x640.jpg

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Jets are moving back toward a “ground-and-pound” offensive approach, but lack a difference-making running back.

So when does Tebow replace Sanchez?

yebat' Putin
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Normally I would be on board with you and was for a while early on, but I personally think Blackmon is a made to order WCO receiver and Richardson is a beast.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i'm shocked Tannehill isn't #1 on Ryan's board. Ryan's g/f has huge feet (no seriously)

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Lauren-and-Ryan-on-field1-428x640.jpg

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are her hands as big as his?

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The Jets problems have been discussed by some of the NFL analyst. Many people noted, and pointed to the downward trend in running production of about an average of 50 yds per game, every year for the last several years. This put all the load on the QB and is causing the overall lack of production.

Gosh where have we seen this ? If they want our pick I want AT LEAST a 2nd this year and a one next. Even then I'm not sure I'd do it. we need a STUD and not a bunch of 2nd and third tier choices. We have enough picks already this year to "fill"

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

The Jets are moving back toward a “ground-and-pound” offensive approach, but lack a difference-making running back.

So when does Tebow replace Sanchez?

Ahhhh, he already has even though Dirty might start a few more times.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I just read all sorts of Juicy stuff..It could get interesting..

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Report: Bills want to trade up for Matt Kalil

Posted by Evan Silva on April 25, 2012, 7:55 PM EDT

The Vikings might have a market for the third overall pick, after all.

Charley Casserly of CBS Sports and NFL Network is reporting that the left tackle-needy Buffalo Bills “would like to trade up” to draft USC’s Matt Kalil, and are willing to surrender a second-round pick to close the deal.

While it’s sensible that the Bills would target a left tackle, the approach in Casserly’s report hints that Buffalo believes itself to be one player away from serious playoff, even Super Bowl contention. Most observers would probably disagree with that notion. But if G.M. Buddy Nix has identified Kalil as a truly elite, franchise-caliber left tackle capable of making quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick better, there shouldn’t be anyone trying to stop him.

While the old draft trade chart is admittedly outdated, it’s at least worth a look here. Per the old chart, Buffalo’s Nos. 10 and 41 overall picks equate to 1,790 “points.” The third overall pick is worth 2,200 points, and No. 4′s value is 1,800 points. So the Bills could get just shy of the fourth pick based on the old points system.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The really want to know that they really want to trade out of the number three pick.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Yes yesssss, good Buffalo. Do that.

you had a good run Hank.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Buffalo trades up I don't care. That's pretty much the same as Minnesota keeping the pick. I don't want Tampa Bay to trade up, because that means they will be taking Richardson, and Richardson is the guy we seem to be targeting.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Report: "Many teams" rank Barron as no 6 player in draft

Posted by Evan Silva on April 25, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT

Since late Tuesday night, seemingly no player eligible for the 2012 draft has had hotter draft stock than Alabama safety Mark Barron. A report surfaced out of Buffalo that the Bills are “extremely interested” in Barron, and it’s now believed he could end up going earlier than the tenth pick.

Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFY Draft Insider has something of an explanation for all the fuss. Per Pauline, “several teams around the league” rate Barron as the sixth best player in the entire draft.

The inference here is that Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Morris Claiborne, Trent Richardson, and Matt Kalil commonly occupy the Nos. 1-5 spots on most teams’ draft boards. Barron is right behind them.

We examined some of Barron’s potential landing spots in this post.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Report: "Many teams" rank Barron as no 6 player in draft

Posted by Evan Silva on April 25, 2012, 5:16 PM EDT

Since late Tuesday night, seemingly no player eligible for the 2012 draft has had hotter draft stock than Alabama safety Mark Barron. A report surfaced out of Buffalo that the Bills are “extremely interested” in Barron, and it’s now believed he could end up going earlier than the tenth pick.

Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFY Draft Insider has something of an explanation for all the fuss. Per Pauline, “several teams around the league” rate Barron as the sixth best player in the entire draft.

The inference here is that Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Morris Claiborne, Trent Richardson, and Matt Kalil commonly occupy the Nos. 1-5 spots on most teams’ draft boards. Barron is right behind them.

We examined some of Barron’s potential landing spots in this post.

wow... not even close.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
cfrs15 #685072 04/25/12 10:59 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If Buffalo trades up I don't care. That's pretty much the same as Minnesota keeping the pick. I don't want Tampa Bay to trade up, because that means they will be taking Richardson, and Richardson is the guy we seem to be targeting.

I really think Claiborne is the pick if we stay at 4...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Man, the Bills are going to get Barron and Kalil. This is crazy.

cfrs15 #685074 04/25/12 11:02 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/11607...rent-richardson

Cleveland Browns Not Interested in Drafting Trent Richardson

terview with 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland today, Paul Bessire of predictionmachine.com dropped a bomb on Cleveland Browns fans.

You may be thinking, who exactly is Paul Bessire? He invented the "Predictalator" which his website uses to prognosticate everything from the NFL to poker. He recently used his simulator to predict which 2012 NFL draft picks would be most successful during their rookie seasons and this was the original discussion point of the interview.

As Dustin Fox and Adam "The Bull" were about to wrap up the interview, Bessire said a source inside the Browns front office told him they were not interested in any running back with the fourth pick in the draft. That would mean no Trent Richardson in Cleveland.

During this interview Bessire said multiple NFL teams have consulted him this offseason regarding who they should draft. The Browns were one of these teams. When the hosts drilled down further they found out this information was learned by Bessire approximately two weeks ago. He had no reason to lie during this interview so this breaking news could mean one of three things.

1. The Browns really aren't interested in drafting Trent Richardson at four.

2. The Browns were not interested two weeks ago, but have changed their minds since.

3. The Browns told Bessire this knowing the information could leak in order to mess with other teams.

Browns fans should hope it's the second or third possibility. Trent Richardson could be the explosive playmaker this team is looking for. His ability to break off big plays, run between the tackles, catch passes out of the backfield and block should make him an every-down back in the NFL. He is a player they must have.

If Cleveland isn't interested in Richardson, look for them to take Justin Blackmon or Morris Claiborne with the fourth overall pick and address the running back position later by taking a player like Doug Martin.

No matter what the Browns do at four, having this information come out the day before the draft will add suspense when they are on the clock tomorrow.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Sounds LEGIT!

you had a good run Hank.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
if true, our front office is more f'd up then i thought....

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Legend
Legend
As long as people trading up to 3 aren't taking Kalil then I'm fine...

I'm sure we can find someone to offer a small ransom for him...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Legend
Legend
N
always wondered what happened to coachB

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
From listening to the full Heckert presser, I came away with Blackmon or Tannehill as his top 2 options. When he said his top 3 backs could all run, block and catch that was a strong statement to me. He was very defensive about Blackmon's character and about Tannehill's ability to be a starter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That would be a blessing, because we need to beat teams in our division and you don't beat those teams running the ball and if that's the focal point of our offense, then we are destine to fail.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure Richardson can do all of those things at above average levels...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Bleacher Report is fun.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That would be a blessing, because we need to beat teams in our division and you don't beat those teams running the ball and if that's the focal point of our offense, then we are destine to fail.

If that's not our focal point then we have no business drafting a RB in the top 10.

[Linked Image]

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I completely disagree on Tannehill and the Heckert presser. He basically said he liked him, but he wasn't sure if he could be a starter day one. Then went on to say he wants 3 starters with his first three picks.

Blackmon, i'm hoping against hope that they don't actually want him. Good receiver, not great. Don't think there is a big difference between he, Floyd, Hill, Randle or some of the other WR'ers.

you had a good run Hank.
cfrs15 #685085 04/25/12 11:18 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Bleacher Report is fun.

yes but it was an Interview with 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland today,

FL_Dawg #685086 04/25/12 11:18 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

If that's not our focal point then we have no business drafting a RB in the top 10.

So the Ravens focal point on offense isn't Ray Rice?

you had a good run Hank.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
William Green could "run,block and catch" He just couldn't do it one tenth as well as Richardson, or Martin or.. me:) We all read things into his every word. I hear BPA come out of his mouth and think if it's not TR.. then he's lyin.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
On the reports that Ryan Tannehill might not be ready to play right now)- “He played 19 games so it’s not like he is coming off not playing. I don’t know where that comes from. Especially in our system – he knows our system - he had the coach. It would probably be easier for him to play in our system, I guess. I don’t buy that. If you are drafting a kid early you are probably going to play him, in my opinion. If you draft a kid early, whatever first round, you are probably going to want to start him.”

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
And nowhere in that quote do I see him saying "Yeah, I think he could come in and be a starter right away."

He says that it might be easier because of the WCO, but never says that he would start.

$50 to Dawgtalkers if we draft Tannehill.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

So the Ravens focal point on offense isn't Ray Rice?

It was, but they couldn't beat the Steelers could they. Not until they paired Bolden with Torre Smith last season.
Nobody rushes for a 100 yards against either of those defenses and we can't go where we want to go without going threw our division and coming out with "W's". Your not going to do that on a regular basis by playing to their strengths.

[Linked Image]

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Bleacher Report is fun.

yes but it was an Interview with 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland today,

With a random dude named Paul Bessire, who built the Predictalator, is one of the foremost authorities on mathematically modeling and analyzing all sports. For more than seven years since earning his Master's degree in Quantitative Analysis (with a focus on Finance and Sports), he has turned what was his longtime hobby of predicting and writing about sports outcomes into his full-time profession.

Seems like someone who would have inside info on the Browns.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

always wondered what happened to coachB

coachB... the predictilator.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Draft Stuff v.4

Link Copied to Clipboard