Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Legend
Legend
I'd also assume that we'd get a slight discount based on the fact that dropping to 4 allows Minny to get whoever they want...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Of course they freakin lie. Mickey Loomis ring a bell?

1 guy doesn't prove that 32 GMs routinely lie to each other to gain an edge in a trade situation.

Horse pucky. Sitting Presidents have lied under oath. Senators lie, Governors lie, evangelical preachers lie, hot chicks lie, baseball pitchers lie, head coaches lie and tape you, and you don't think NFL general managers lie to gain a competitive advantage? LOL yea right.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ah man ; Not hot Chicks !

S
Legend
Legend
S
I've never had a hot chick lie to me as far as I knew.

H
2nd String
2nd String
H
Quote:

You've never had a hot chick talk to you.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

sure he has. they say "I want you to get away from me, NOW!"

#gmstrong
H
2nd String
2nd String
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

sure he has. they say "I want you to get away from me, NOW!"

Which is telling him the truth, I guess.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
per Roto:

Mark Ingram underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday and will be sidelined for the next six weeks.
It's Ingram's third known surgery since August of 2010 and second on the knee, which was also "scoped" just prior to his final college season. The recovery timeline given suggests this is another routine scope, although it's a growing concern for a player multiple teams reportedly removed from their boards leading up to the 2011 draft due to knee worries. Ingram's other surgery was an operation to repair a turf-toe injury in January. Ingram will enter the 2012 season with medical red flags in addition to preexisting workload concerns.

That's why I didn't want TR as a top 5 pick...longevity...TR, Weeden and Schwartz are "win now"-mode selections....

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How does another RB's known injury history make us worry about Richardson? Should I also then worry about any DE we draft because of longevity concerns after we drafted Courtney Brown?

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Hell, maybe he'll retire "early" after "only" 9 years, a new NFL rushing record, and a Hall of Fame career, to go become an actor or something .......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

How does another RB's known injury history make us worry about Richardson? Should I also then worry about any DE we draft because of longevity concerns after we drafted Courtney Brown?

TR had one of those "minor" knee scopes himself...didn't think I'd have to spell it out...RBs have 5-6 good years nowadays, the rest is mostly complimentary at best...I just hope he produces at AP level from day 1 for 5 years at least...everything less would be a disappointment

#gmstrong

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

everything less would be a disappointment

you should make that your signature

Joe Thomas #73
T
Legend
Legend
T
Try to take a long term view, ( If the world doesn't end, Ha!)

If Trent Richardson flames out and busts, what you have going forward is a solid average Rb in Richardson, who was used to help Ogbonnaya, and Hardesty, and B Jackson, ( If they all aren't cut) to form a solid rotation which can be addressed with a mid round draft pick or free agent pick up next year.

AP won't produce at AP level from day 1 for 5 years at least. To expect that from TR would be unreasonable.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
The people making crazy statements about what he needs to do are the people who didn't want a running back. They are pouting at this point because they didn't get what they wanted.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Why should I expect anything less? His selection in the top 5 (and uptrade !) was justified with him being the best RB since AP, the "safest" or "best" player etc etc....AP produced a 1.341yds rookie season with a 5.6 AVG and 12 TDs has since scored double digit TDs every season and had 4.5+ AVGs every season

We have 3 very high selections in the OL and we traded 4 picks for TR, so there's some pressure to produce...he better AVG AT LEAST 4.4-4.5yds/run or we're looking at a very questionable pick because 4 to 4.3 AVGs can be aquired via FA or in the late rounds rather easily...a Top 10 pick HAS TO be a franchise player, NOT a dime a dozen "ok" RB...Thomas is special, Haden is special, so what about what I'm expecting from TR is a "crazy statement"? It comes with the (very high) investment we made imho

All of a sudden people would be ok if he was another Hillis? TR is one of the highest picked RBs since Ki-Jana Carter...here are the other Top 5 picked RBs: Ricky Williams, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Tomlinson, Cadillac Williams, Benson, Ronnie Brown (those 3 in a very poor 2005 draft class), R.Bush, McFadden....taking away that 2005 class he better be good...Bush is solid, but considered a bust and was let go by the Saints for a 6th round pick swap

The TR pimps wanted him this early because he was "special", so he better be special...that's my point

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
I agree, he needs to be special.. no matter who we drafted at #4 (or 3) I would have said the same thing.. these are the guys that are supposed to be difference makers, game changers, the foundation of any rebuilding process. I'm willing to give the guy a little time to get it figured out and get on the same page with his OL but in all honesty, it shouldn't take that long...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://blogs.clevelandbrowns.com/2012/05/04/richardsons-impact-goes-beyond-running/

Richardson’s impact goes beyond running

Posted by Bernie Kosar on May 4, 2012 – 5:44 pm

By Bernie Kosar, Special Contributor to ClevelandBrowns.com

Here are some highlights from my latest appearance on “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford”:

There’s no doubt about the type of impact a great running back can have on a team’s success.

You look at Marshall Faulk when Kurt Warner came to St. Louis and the Rams won the Super Bowl. You look at Adrian Peterson when Brett Favre went to the NFC Championship game with the Vikings.

And I don’t want to put the pressure on Trent Richardson, but I believe he has the opportunity to be talked about in the same breath as those types of running backs. He has that many God-given gifts, abilities, along with tremendous passion for the game.

But when you have guys like that it makes defensive coordinators and defenses play that eighth man in the box, play that extra guy up there. It puts single coverage outside. It significantly simplifies pass defenses.

So, in turn, it actually makes it easier for your quarterback because he gets easier defenses to read. He gets one-on-one coverage, and then he has the ability to run the ball and be on the positive side in down-and-distance situations. And Trent is the kind of running back who doesn’t have to leave the field.

I’m a big fan of Trent’s coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, in terms of how he coaches and teaches his guys. His guys are NFL-ready and for a superstar runner like Trent to be not only a constant threat as a runner but to also have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and pass protect is something special.

To have someone back there who can pick up the linebackers, handle the blitzes, chip on offensive linemen and then release gives you the chance to play more of a well-rounded, physical game. And I really believe it makes the whole team a more physical, tougher – a more Cleveland-area type of approach.

I just think it’s going to add a lot of benefits to the team.

Be sure to catch Bernie Kosar’s regular appearances with Vic Carucci on “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford,” Monday through Friday, 6-7 p.m. ET, live on ESPN 850 WKNR and ClevelandBrowns.com

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
I agree with you.

I think that Richardson will be a special back, and I expect nothing less from him. If we wanted the 2nd best, or 3rd best type production, we could have stayed at 4, used that pick on someone else, and taken a RB later in the draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think some of you guys are expecting way too much....I've seen comments that unless he makes the HOF, he is a wasted pick.

First, just because we traded up doesn't change anything for Richardson except in the eyes of guys like you who are still crying about the pick. Take your frustration out on Homie and Heck if you don't like it....don't set it up that unless the guy gains 1800 yards he is a waste.

No doubt, we all expect him to be a great back who is going to bring much to the O.....but he isn't going to gain 1700 yards because we won't use him enough running the ball....we are still a passing team.

1300-1400 on the ground and 40 receptions makes him pretty darn good in my book.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

1300-1400 on the ground and 40 receptions makes him pretty darn good in my book.

That would be a damn good year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

But when you have guys like that it makes defensive coordinators and defenses play that eighth man in the box, play that extra guy up there. It puts single coverage outside. It significantly simplifies pass defenses.

So your saying the defense will play one less man in the box on us than they did on almost every play last season

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

So your saying the defense will play one less man in the box on us than they did on almost every play last season

We faced a lot of really, really simple defenses last year. Our outside receivers faced a ton of single cover, and still never saw the ball.

That's been my point all along.

Legend
Legend
and it's one I never disagreed with

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

...and what did I say would I expect? 1800yds? HoF? Where did I say that? Exagerate much?

I said he has to produce at AP level, you answered that this is somehow "crazy expectation" on my part and then quote AP production as what you expect...what's the beef then?

Maybe you would be ok with a 4.1yds/run RB, I wouldn't...maybe that's the difference but we both seem to think and expect that he's much better than that

#gmstrong

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

...and what did I say would I expect? 1800yds?

actually, Peen's 1400 ground + 40rec does make it roughly 1800 yards from the LOS.

DJ, you mentioned that he has to be better than "another Hillis" and other posters may be taking it to mean that he has to do better than Hillis' breakout year. If that is what you meant, then you inadvertantly said that Richardson needs to beat:

4.4YPC, 1650yds from LOS, 13TDs
note1: includes 61rec for 477yds and 2TDs
note2: he also had 8 fumbles though, so I'm not exactly sure how to factor that into the equation.

I'd be quite happy if Richardson replicated that line from Hillis in his rookie year without the penchant for fumbling or getting injured. I assume most others would too.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I never included receiving yds in my expectations and have no clear overall number since he might not play all 16 games...what I said I would expect was AP production, that means a 4.5yds/rush + AVG and some decent receiving numbers AND AP's consistency (that's the part where Hillis "failed")

and for Hillis' "breakthrough" season: you would be surprised at how many RBs had 1.500yds rushing and receiving and 4+yds/rush combined last season....that's AVG for a 16game RB nowadays

#gmstrong

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

and for Hillis' "breakthrough" season: you would be surprised at how many RBs had 1.500yds rushing and receiving and 4+yds/rush combined last season....that's AVG for a 16game RB nowadays

13TDs were a big part of that year too.

and, that is NOT league average. 15RBs broke 1000yds last year. in order of rushing yards:

MoJo broke 1600yds on the ground alone + receiving prowess.
Rice easily smashes the 1500 combined.
Turner squeaks over the 1500 from LOS line.
McCoy got just over the 1600yd marker (my original yardstick on it)
Arian Foster's receiving prowess puts him in Ray Rice territory.
Gore checks in at 1300yds from scrimmage
Lynch checks in at 1400yds from scrimmage
McGahee checks in at 1250yds from scrimmage
S-Jax checks in just under 1500yds from scrimmage
Ryan Matthews squeaked over the 1500 from LOS line.
Reggie Bush checks in at 1400yds from scrimmage
Cedric Benson checks in at 1150yds from scrimmage
Shonn Greene checks in at 1250yds from scrimmage
Chris Johnson checks in just under 1500yds from scrimmage
Beanie Wells checks in at 1100ydds from scrimmage

So, what I put above makes Trent Richardson a top5 back his rookie year. I don't think I want to ask anything more from him.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Semantics, but I said 16 game RB...many of the "reds" you listed missed a game or 2...anyway, the AVGs have gone up...4yds/carry is below AVG nowadays for a workhorse RB

and who "asked" anything "more" than it anyway? That's all based on Peen's exagerations of what I ACTUALLY said in this "discussion" I said AP production, that's my expectation for TR...Peen called me out on that....and now turns out everyone expects TR to achieve them and I get accused of wanting even more....just another day at dawgtalkers

#gmstrong

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
well then, we all agree. If Richardson puts up a good YPC, scores a bunch of TDs and gets a ton of yards from scrimmage, we'll all be happy with the pick

(if we didn't argue the finer details, it'd be awfully quiet until September around here )

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You were noticeably not a fan of drafting Richardson at 4.

You're now "demanding" certain production from him.

You're basically coming across as someone who won't be happy with him regardless of what he does.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Umm no? I like the player A LOT, not the value...2 different things...longevity being my biggest fear with this pick...I want a Top 5 selection to be a franchise player for 7-9 seasons at least...and RBs producing at a high level for so long are the exception not the norm, that's fact

I "demand" AP production and pretty much everyone does, so what is so special about my expectation level? He's a very good talent and now a Brown...I will root for him every game, but if he's "just" a Benson and not an AP, Tomlinson (and all those other Top 5 RBs I listed), then he's a disappointment...that's all I said

I'm also THE biggest Weeden pimp around here and I said there's a good chance he'll bust, didn't I? I'll be equally disappointed if he does

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
This is entertaining to watch..

Arian Foster led all RBs last year with 141 yards from scrimmage per game.. Fred Jackson at 127, Ray Rice at 129, Forte at 127.. Steven Jackson was 10th at 98 yards per game...

Does anybody think that Trent Richardson should be under 100 yards per game on average combined rushing and receiving? I do not. And that would put him in the top 10.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
My response to that last post, overall, is "fair enough".

I just think "demanding" HOF performance in his first year is a little ridiculous.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only other alternative to address offense first would have been for Heckert to take Blackmon ,then follow with Weeden..then he would have to watch out for someone trying to snag Doug Martin before the 2nd..of course we know Bellyache would deal back so NE would have been a trade partner.
I have no issue with TR at 3..but it would have been intriguing to have Weeden/Blackmon to start off with.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
TR was the best and safest pick for this team right now. Just as Thomas was when AP was on the board for us. Everyone wants 5-7 year stud production when picking in the top five . It doesn't mean its happening all the time, just that you have a better chance of getting it right.

Blackmon would have been OK by me, but I see a better chance of him being more like our Braylon Edwards long term, then I do T.R being our William Green.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Richardson’s impact goes beyond running
Posted by Bernie Kosar on May 4, 2012 – 5:44 pm

By Bernie Kosar, Special Contributor to ClevelandBrowns.com

Here are some highlights from my latest appearance on “Cleveland Browns Daily, Driven by Liberty Ford”:

There’s no doubt about the type of impact a great running back can have on a team’s success.

You look at Marshall Faulk when Kurt Warner came to St. Louis and the Rams won the Super Bowl. You look at Adrian Peterson when Brett Favre went to the NFC Championship game with the Vikings.

And I don’t want to put the pressure on Trent Richardson, but I believe he has the opportunity to be talked about in the same breath as those types of running backs. He has that many God-given gifts, abilities, along with tremendous passion for the game.

So, in turn, it actually makes it easier for your quarterback because he gets easier defenses to read. He gets one-on-one coverage, and then he has the ability to run the ball and be on the positive side in down-and-distance situations. And Trent is the kind of running back who doesn’t have to leave the field.

I’m a big fan of Trent’s coach at Alabama, Nick Saban, in terms of how he coaches and teaches his guys. His guys are NFL-ready and for a superstar runner like Trent to be not only a constant threat as a runner but to also have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and pass protect is something special.

To have someone back there who can pick up the linebackers, handle the blitzes, chip on offensive linemen and then release gives you the chance to play more of a well-rounded, physical game. And I really believe it makes the whole team a more physical, tougher – a more Cleveland-area type of approach.

I just think it’s going to add a lot of benefits to the team. web page

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And now we possibly have a QB who can/will take advantage of it...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
... providing our WRs can also take advantage of it as well. That is a looming question mark. From my seats in Section 349, I didn't see any of our guys beating 1-1 coverage all that often. McCoy missed some, no doubt. However, the wideouts we have don't separate well at all and, with the possible exception of Little, are extremely weak on the ball. You won't see our guys out-muscling many defenders for balls in the air, nor do they position their bodies to shield off defenders all that well.

We'll see...

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Here's the thing with a quality QB though ......

A WR is almost always open somewhere against single coverage. The CB alone cannot cover over the top and underneath, inside and out. There are some CBs who might come close to being able to do so ..... but they are few and far between, especially in today's NFL with today's passing rules.

It is the QBs responsibility to see the coverage and make a throw that takes the receiver away from coverage when single covered. If the receiver if covered over the top, then the ball is thrown under. If the CB is running under, then the QB throws the ball over the top. Single cover not being attacked is always more on the QB than on the WR, because there is almost always an opportunity somewhere to make a play.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Trent Richardson - Browns - #3 Overall Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard