Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Last year we suffered by having the 4th best QB in the AFCN. This year, we will have...Ah, crap.

I am not writing Weeden off like that. I think he'll be the better red head.

I'm just not thrilled where we selected him with who was still on the board.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We should have the #1 WR, the #1 RT, and the #2 RB in this draft right now.

I hate it when people put things this way. Just because Blackmon is the "number 1" WR in this draft doesn't mean he's going to be that good of an NFL WR or that he's that much better than the WR's behind him.

And Doug Martin the "#2 RB" in this draft, isn't close to the player that Trent Richardson is.

Trent Richardson was far and away the best player in the draft not named Andrew Luck.

We got ourselves a very good player. Probably the most talented RB in the NFL right now. Sure it would have been nice to get a receiver like AJ Green or even Julio Jones, but that's not what was available.

Blackmon doesn't get the separation those guys get, he doesn't open up the top the way that those guys do. He's not the player that those guys are. Just because he's "the number one receiver" doesn't mean he's that good.

Ryan Matthews or whatever was the "number one RB" in last year's draft I believe? Well who do you think has a better RB, us or San Diego. We do. No question about it. Yet he's "the number one running back". You have to rate the players verses everyone in the entire draft, and be more specific than, "We got the best at this position". Because what if that position's players aren't that good?

We just drafted a Pro-Bowl RB. Blackmon is not that caliber of a receiver.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

maybe you need to go watch Hillis Tape again?

Maybe you need to watch the Richardson tape again? You really think Hillis is just as good as Richardson? lol thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think some forget that Hillis didnt REALLY want to be here. I dont care what he said his action proved otherwise!

He's old news...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So is the "fact" that Blackmon will be a great WR.

RB prospect or WR prospect.
Both rated equally.

To me there is no debate and I realize I am on an island here, but it's my Island

RB's don't win championships QB do and they need an elite WR to help them reach that goal.

Heck I don't think that TR was even excited about coming here. He will be gone in 4 years anyways, because he won't want to stay here with this losing franchise.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
The thing with Hillis is I don't think he really wanted to be here... and comparing the two (though I love Hillis) I think Richardson is a much better back. I honestly feel that he's one of the best backs to come out since AP. Sure hope I'm right.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We should just go ahead and bring in TO..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

maybe you need to go watch Hillis Tape again?

Maybe you need to watch the Richardson tape again? You really think Hillis is just as good as Richardson? lol thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning.

the real question is...

Do I think Richardson is better than losing a than an above average RB in Hillis a legit #1 receiver, a stud RT, still drafting Weeden in the 2nd, and getting depth at many positions?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Heck I don't think that TR was even excited about coming here. He will be gone in 4 years anyways, because he won't want to stay here with this losing franchise.

Do you really think any of these guys in the draft would've been excited about coming to Cleveland?

Last edited by Psydeffect; 04/27/12 09:41 AM.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
You are seriously overrating Hillis, IMO.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think some forget that Hillis didnt REALLY want to be here. I dont care what he said his action proved otherwise!

He's old news...

he was quoted as saying that he would take a hometown discount to play here... He wanted to be here

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

He's old news...

he was quoted as saying that he would take a hometown discount to play here... He wanted to be here

I think he wanted to start.. and staying in Cleveland was his best bet.. He knew the RB market w/ other teams, and now he will be sharing carries.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You are seriously overrating Hillis, IMO.

I didn't overrate him? i said better than average.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
And I would say that is overrating Hillis.

you had a good run Hank.
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Is this the Hillis from 2010 or 2011?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Blackmon doesn't get the separation those guys get, he doesn't open up the top the way that those guys do. He's not the player that those guys are. Just because he's "the number one receiver" doesn't mean he's that good.

We just drafted a Pro-Bowl RB. Blackmon is not that caliber of a receiver.

Nonsense. Why did he win the Biletnikoff two years in a row over AJ Green and JJ in 2010 then over Rashaun Woods and Michael Floyd this year? Why did he have a dozen receptions over 50 yards in college? How did he score 38 TDs if he's not that good? He had almost half of Weedon's receiving yards and more than half of his TD passes. He was double-teamed contantly while lining up on the left, the right, and in the slot.

How in the world is Trent Richardson going to make the Pro Bowl with 9 in the box against our crappy WRs?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Peen...you do realize the Browns have yet to address the offensive line needs?

...plus, the OGs we have will need to improve their play a bunch if Richardson is going to be productive and Weeden is going to have the time needed to deliver a pass.

If the Browns had a veteran offensive line that was playing well at the end of last season, I would be fine with starting Weeden.

No Mac, I am a total dumb ass and think our line is great.

Many places in the recent past I have said we need to get a RT. I am also good grabbing another guard at some point.

My hope is a RT is the next pick though I understand it will probably be one of the receivers. I would go RT unless 2-3 of them go at the top of the 2nd round, then it would make selecting a receiver all the much easier.

But Weeden starts day one. I don't see any way that doesn't happen. In that respect thd kids age is a factor. You can't sit him a year, then let him get his feet wet the next.

He needs to be there day one...plus, he is already better than the Cherub.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Is this the Hillis from 2010 or 2011?

last year i believe was the first time he had been injured. 2010 would be awesome but 2011 would still result in over 1000 yards in 16 games and keep the D honest with a legit WR.

TR will now face (just like Hillis did) 8-9 in the box 6 times against 3 top 10 running D's in the NFL.

not exactly what I call a "win" in my book.

Legend
Legend

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I mean the 2013 season.

I don't think you can draft Weeden at #22 overall to sit him for a year. You don't have the luxury of having a HOF QB to sit him behind like Aaron Rodgers.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

we could have had
Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
or
Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

Last I checked both of those players are still available.

And will the Browns draft either one? Maybe, but I doubt it.

could have had both.

Don't I know it. Could have had DeCastro, Hill, and at RT add Nate Potter to go along with Richardson.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Everyone talks about reaching for Weeden but would have been fine with a right tackle at 22, don't understand it. We knew we would not get Blackmon or Floyd at 22 and all the other WR's are still on the board. So if we get the best WR available at 37 and go RT in the 3rd I will be O.K. with the draft so far. Maybe Zerbie Sanders?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
JC

We offered Hillis a contract, he declined and went elsewhere.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Adam Schefter is starting problems..

Browns told McCoy they wouldn't Draft a QB in the First Round

This FO and Coaching staff are masters of lip serves.

Remember "we think that we can find a RB after the first round"

When was the last time a RB went #3 in the Draft?

Hate the pick and hated trading up for the pick even worse, because it took away our ability to do any more movement in rounds two and three. I could care less about the actual picks, but we lost our leverage and I am ready to jump off this sinking ship.

We are a lost cause with this FO.

[Linked Image]

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
If we get a WR with pick 37, hopefully Rueben Randle, I like the pick....dont care if it was earlier than projected......Richardson, Weeden, Randle, then OL....I can live with that......

"There's a gleam men..."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Grossi starting problems too? Was Lerner the driving force behind the reach for Weeden?

Browns offensive transformation means the end of Colt McCoy

Apr 27, 2012
By Tony Grossi

We all knew the Browns’ offense had too many holes to be transformed overnight.

But how is this for a start? Franchise running back in Trent Richardson and new starting quarterback in Brandon Weeden.

The Browns left no doubt – none whatsoever – that the Colt McCoy era is over after one full season as starter and a two-year record of 6-15.

“We’ve got a new quarterback that’s going to be with us,” coach Pat Shurmur said. “I think tonight is more or less about Brandon Weeden and less about the competition.”

Wow. Not even using the “he will compete for a starting job” line.

I asked GM Tom Heckert if he will seek to trade McCoy over the weekend.

“I think that’s something we’ll talk about tonight and tomorrow,” he answered.

It’s obvious now why McCoy shunned interviews all offseason. He had to know – or fear – his time in Cleveland was coming to an end.

This move was driven from the top. Sources said owner Randy Lerner expressed frustration about the team’s quarterback situation and President Mike Holmgren made it his personal mission in this draft to decide on McCoy’s replacement.

“When we went through the process of evaluating him,” Shurmur said, “we became very fond of him. We all did, from Randy to Mike and Tom and myself. We came away with saying this is a guy we’d like on our team. And that’s where we are right now.”

I was told that Heckert and Shurmur held out initially for supporting McCoy with playmakers selected with the top three picks. But neither gave that impression when they faced the media late in the night.

Heckert said he selected Weeden at No. 22 because he was aware a couple other teams were interested in him.

“We had lot of conversations about this,” Heckert said. “When you’re talking about a quarterback, we just didn’t think it was worth taking a risk. We just wanted to make sure we got him.”

Heckert acknowledged Weeden is “the guy” – the quarterback who carries the franchise’s future on his shoulders. The plan is to play him immediately.

“Obviously, we’re not going to throw a guy out there just to throw him out there,” Heckert said. “Eventually he’s going to be a starter for us. That’s why we drafted him.”

At 28 years, 195 days, Weeden is the oldest player ever taken in the common NFL draft, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

“He has the attributes you’re looking for in a quarterback,” Shurmur said. “We felt like he was a winner. He obviously took a non-traditional path to being a college quarterback (after five years in baseball’s minor leagues). He’s a very mature guy, I think he’s an outstanding thrower, good decision-maker, very accurate.

“He found a way at Oklahoma State to win a lot of football games against a lot of the quarterbacks that we’ve been talking about leading up to the draft. So we feel like the kid’s a winner. I wasn’t concerned about his age. I was impressed with his maturity, the way he handled himself.”

Another thing appealed to Shurmur. Weeden is a shade under 6-4 and 221 pounds. If one season in the AFC North proved anything to Shurmur, it’s that his quarterback needs to be tougher physically than what he had. Nobody ever questioned McCoy’s inner toughness, but his size put him at a severe disadvantage.

“You’re always looking for bigger, stronger, faster guys,” Shurmur said. “Taller guys sometimes can see a little bit better, which allows them to do some things. A quarterback does have to take a little bit of a pounding. They all get hit. But in terms of evaluating a quarteback, the toughness is obviously an overriding factor, whether they have it or not.”

They liked Weeden so much, they provided him a tough runner in Trent Richardson.

Next up are receivers and a right tackle.

Then the transformation will be complete.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

This FO and Coaching staff are masters of lip serves.

As are many others in the league. Everyone gets that you think the Browns should have drafted Blackmon, and that you think it's basically not worth even drafting a RB in the league any more, but will you still be complaining if Richardson scores 10+ TDs and has 1,500 combined yds.? What if the Browns get a RT and one of the top WRs and Weeden throws for 3,000+ w/ 20 TDs? Will that be enough for you, or will you still be looking at who we didn't get or what we don't have?

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend

So Weeden is the reason we didn't get Griffin?

I do not understand how the Browns felt that giving up pick 22, next years number one, and the second round pick this year was to much for Griffin? Then take Weeden at 22?

If they were so set on replacing McCoy I would have much rather traded ahead of Miami using pick 22 and a third and fourth rounder to get Tannehill.

Another factor is who else wanted Weeden? Who was going to jump ahead of the Browns second round pick to take Weeden?

Look at the players we left on the board? Reiff, DeCastro, a receiver.

Weeden made his numbers throwing to Blackmon for two years. He nods to him. He is open. Weeden throws the ball to Blackmon.

He was rarely under pressure. He lacks mobility. He will struggle to learn the speed of the NFL. He will 29 when the season starts.

Heckert/Holmgren and the gang better be right with this pick there careers are riding on it.

I was thrilled with Richardson and brought back to earth with the Weeden pick. I was sure the Browns were going to take Reiff when he was right there in front of them. Sorry, but I just do not get this.

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

I do not understand how the Browns felt that giving up pick 22, next years number one, and the second round pick this year was to much for Griffin? Then take Weeden at 22?

Depending on what you believe the Browns offered 3 first round picks but not the 2nd rounder this year. Washington offered the 2nd rounder and the Rams took the better deal.

[color:"white"]Such is life in Soviet Russia... I mean Cleveland[/color]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You're not getting Richardson if you do that, you still have to swap #4 for #2. Obviously the front office wanted 2 players out of the first round.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
A poster in a different thread said, and I read it elsewhere, that Jax was looking to move up for Weeden. Not sure how true it is but it semms to be the only plausible reason for pulling the trigger at 22.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As we saw with the Rams sometimes you can't sit back and wait for a guy to fall to you. Obviously the Browns FO felt they needed to Upgrade the QB position and in their mind Weeden is better than Colt. I hope they are right, for everyone's sake, because if he is not they will be gone and we will probably be hitting the reset button again.

Weeden is a Brown now and has my full support.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

When was the last time a RB went #3 in the Draft?

Reggie Bush 2006.

God I hope the team wins and you are made to look like an idiot.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If they were so set on replacing McCoy I would have much rather traded ahead of Miami using pick 22 and a third and fourth rounder to get Tannehill.

so you would have been happy trading into the top 10 for a guy that should have been drafted around 20... instead we took a guy at 22 that the FO felt would be gone by late 1st round... they had planned on picking him up after taking Wright with the 22nd and then trading back into the 1st for Weeden

Quote:

Weeden made his numbers throwing to Blackmon for two years. He nods to him. He is open. Weeden throws the ball to Blackmon.

Weeden threw for 4727 yards last year... Blackmon caught 1500 of them... 30% of his passes... a lot but not everything

Quote:

He will 29 when the season starts.

Season starts in Oct?

Quote:

Heckert/Holmgren and the gang better be right with this pick there careers are riding on it.

Agree 100% here... they have already shown they were wrong on McCoy... but that was a 3rd rounder... this is much more risk...

Quote:

I was sure the Browns were going to take Reiff when he was right there in front of them.

and I'm with you on this too... I thought with Reiff dropping we would have taken him there and if they wanted Weeden hope he fell to 37 or trade up to get him.

This morning I feel better about the pick... but as many others have said we NEED to get some weapons for him to throw to and OL help.

Now the question is... do they go WR/TE or OL with the 37...

<><

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

They didn't. They screwed it up....it's why we traded up for Richardson, not wanting to get snookered out of the 2nd best player on our board, and why we did reach for Weeded at 22. We would have taken him at 37 but feared we would have to trade up again to get him....it's why we pulled the trigger when we did.

There is no doubt we reached out for Weeden. But there was also no doubt we needed a new QB, so here we are.

I liked the move. I hope we have Colt traded by 7pm this evening.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Without seeing RGIII yet in a game, I think it is a reasonable opinion to say that Richardson + Weeden (+ the additional picks we saved) will ultimately be better than just Griffin.

Think about how good Griffin has to be if just both Richardson and Weeden turn in to above average players at RB and QB. That's not even taking in to account next years #1. If RGIII turns in to a legitimate top 5 QB, then yeah, it probably would have been worth it.

Now, I wasn't thrilled with Weeden at #22 yesterday and I'm still not but I'll give the guy a chance. The front office must REALLY believe in this kid if they rated him #13 on their draft board, when he's 28 going on 29.

For now, I'll trust that they see something in Weeden that they think Colt will never have. If that turns out to be the case, more power to them.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

hater...you are new here...

Why rip on McCoy?...

...the Browns failed him as much as he failed the Browns...no QB was going to perform well with the supporting cast the front office gave McCoy to work with.

If the Browns were smart, they would keep McCoy as the starter and give Weeden as much time as he needs to learn the offense.

Worst thing the Browns can do...throw Weeden in to the wolves, behind a suspect offensive line and young WRs and RB.

Most teams need two good QBs to get through a season...when Weeden is ready, he's the starter and McCoy moves to backup.

I wonder what's going to happen when Weeden throws 3 or 4 picks in his first game.

Week 1: What's Weeden going to do with Fletcher Cox, Jason Babin, Trent Cole in his face?

Week 2: Geno Adkins & Co. (since I don't know who they'll still draft)?

Week 3: Mario Williams? Marcell Dareus? Chris Kelsay?

Week 4: Anyone on Baltimore's D, including the back-ups?

Week 5: Anyone on the Giants' D, including the back-ups?

Week 6: Geno Adkins & Co. again?

Week 7: Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis and whoever they might still draft?

Week 8: Antwan Barnes & Melvin Ingram?

Week 9: Anyone on the Ravens' D?

Week 10: Well, he gets a breather. The bye won't come at him.

Week 11: DeMarcus Ware? Anyone drafted by Dallas at LB or DL?

Week 12: Anyone on the Steelers' D?

Week 13: Kamerion Wimbley? Tommy Kelly? Richard Seymour? Rolando McClain?

Week 14: Tamba Hali? Dontari Poe? Sure, it remains to be seen about Poe, but he was taken because of his workout measures. He is certainly strong and fast. With Crennel as his HC, he should be fine.

Week 15: Brian Arakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Adam Carriker?

Week 16: Von Miller, Elvis Dumervill, DJ Williams?

Week 17: Anyone on the Steelers' D?

I predict that Weeden doesn't survive the season uninjured. I actually think he may land on the IR sometime during the season.

Legend
Legend
its the NFL man..

every QB has to deal w/ the same stuff..

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

I hope the team wins and I am made to look like an idiot too.

~Lyuokdea
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard