Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
Legend
Has Weeden ever taken a snap from under center?

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If there was any question as to who the starting QB is ..... Shurmur just had a presser, and they asked why they too Richardson, and he said something like "He'll help us score touchdowns."

Then they asked "Why Weeden", and Shurmur said something to the effect of "Brandon will throw the ones in that Trent doesn't run in."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If there was any question as to who the starting QB is ..... Shurmur just had a presser, and they asked why they too Richardson, and he said something like "He'll help us score touchdowns."

Then they asked "Why Weeden", and Shurmur said something to the effect of "Brandon will throw the ones in that Trent doesn't run in."

I listened to the presser (part of it) and I too got the impression that it's Weeden's job to lose.

hope he's a fast learner...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I thought it takes two years to learn the WCO.

How long does it take to learn how to do a 5 step drop from under center without falling over?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

I feel like throwing up, but i'll be rooting for him on Sunday anyway.

I listened to the presser (part of it) and I too got the impression that it's Weeden's job to lose.

hope he's a fast learner...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Has Weeden ever taken a snap from under center?

When Wheeden is falling down coming out of center then looking around for WRs and looking completely lost just turn off the television and do something productive.

Seriously pissed still.

Tomorrow better be a hell of a lot better than today.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Riley Reiff was falling....that was my choice. Weeden IMO would have fell into the second. Reach. Don't like it.

But it's damn obvious we didn't think Colt could do it, and are confident Weeden starts SEPTEMBER. We wouldn't have drafted him otherwise. Weeden is our starting QB, as of now.

We better hope so.

Both Tannehill and Weeden where reaches at their respective picks, but that's not so uncommon for the position.

Meh! I like the player, but I wish we could have waited.

Big winners so far are the Steelers Greeer! the Chargers and NE. Belichick played a nice hand as per usual.

I don't like this trend of desperation in Heckert's picks.

Starting with Hardesty, Taylor last year and Richardson and Weeden this year.
We no longer have a lot of ammo to maneuver now (remember 4 of the 8 remaining picks are non trade able)

We still have Glenn and Martin left on the board for day two.

WR ... I don't have any hope we will ever have a blue chip talent in what's left of my life time.

Memories of Paul Warfield are faded at best these days.
*long sigh*

To say I am Discussed over our choice at the top of the Draft would be an understatement. Idiots

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

When Wheeden is falling down coming out of center then looking around for WRs and looking completely lost just turn off the television and do something productive.

Seriously pissed still.

Has Heckert really led us wrong?

Do you really think that he hasn't watched Weeden take a snap under center? May be not in a game, but I guarentee you, our coaching staff has seen a center snap the ball to him and watched him take a drop

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
At least he's really good with pressure in his face. If he wasn't I'd REALLY be concerned with the fact he doesn't know the footwork coming out from under center, or the fact that he doesn't know the WCO, or the fact that he's going to be 29 in a few months.

This is going to work out great.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's been my beef with Heckert as well....he panics and either trades picks he doesn't have. To or reaches on guys he "falls in love" with. There just simply is no excuse to take Weeden at 22.......37 I wouldn't have liked it, but would have understood considering how bad Colt was last year.....but 22 is inexcusable when you consider the chances of someone taking him before 37 were slim at best. Another classic example of him falling in love and reaching for a guy

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
I'm... Going... To buy... A Weeden... Jersey...?

...Reverse Jinx maybe?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Man, you and a couple other guys are pretty upset.

As long as we get a RT, I'll be okay. We chose Weeden, just have some faith in the FO. We obviously assume Weeden can come in and start.

The guy's got a good arm, and we obviously think he can pick up the offense. We also must believe he can handle an NFL snap and the footwork that comes with it.

I'm really willing to bet that Weeden has spent a lot of time this offseason working on it. He understands most NFL teams don't run the majority of their plays out of shotgun; so he must be working on it.

The footwork I'm not worried about with that though. If anything I'd be worried about how he views the field. It's a totally different vantage point

Legend
Legend
I read something that Weeden took about half his snaps from under Center, and the other half from the shotgun.

Also, Heckert has a friend on the Oklahoma State staff who raved about Weeden. We know from last year with Taylor that Heckert puts a lot of stock in what people he personally knows tell him.

Plus, there is no way in hell that we were going to win 8-9 games with McCoy. Not gonna happen in any universe, under any circumstances. They gave McCoy a shot, but McCoy simply did not show enough of anything to be considered as the undisputed starter. Quite frankly, he didn't show enough to really warrant an invite back. He was awful. I believe that he was a huge part of the problem with the receivers. Evidently the front office agrees.

I don't know if Weeden will be the guy to take us to a Super Bowl, but I feel a lot better about his chances than I do about McCoy's.I got so sick last year when they would show receivers running wide open down the field ..... and McCoy fighting himself so he could throw a 3 yard crossing pattern instead.

Plus .... when Cribbs said something about being anxious to see what Wallace could do ... that told me all I needed to know about how the receivers felt about McCoy. Sure he couched it in the usual "We'll miss Colt, and, of course he's our starter .... but ......"

I am actually looking forward to next year now.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Quote:

this was definately a monkey poo pick. With reiff and mercilus on the board, just amazing....

I hope it works out, but this really means that the RT is next....

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET A WR?!

As the saying goes around here, wait till next year! LOL. Unbelievable!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My feeling is that Weeden would have been there at 37. I like Weeden as a player, but not at where the Browns took him.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Weeden= Brady Quinn

this guy is NOT an upgrade from Mcoy he is about on par with Mcoy,,,this pick was a WASTE

people will be complaing come week 6 when he looks no different then McCoy, and like McCoy he will have Cousins playing RT...can you say deer in headlights.

McCoy stuggled because the right side of the line was utter trash and we had no running game

Weeden will suck because the right side of the line is worse then a sieve.

We should have taken Decasto and stayed pat with Mcoy for 1 more year, and if he didn't improve then use your 1st next year on a QB.....this was a HUGE mistake for this franchise.

The Browns making decisions like this one (drafting Weeden at #22) is why this team has sucked since 2002.....and its getting old...fast....this pick was just moronic...wow...im still sick to my stomach just thinking about it....

Legend
Legend
Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year

O
Rookie
Rookie
O
Weeden is physically and mentally ready to play in the NFL. I'm an OSU fan and have witnessed Barry Sanders, Hart Lee Dykes, Dez Bryant, Brandon Pettigrew, and Justin Blackmon while I've been an OSU fan. I can tell you this guy is a talent on the level of the best of those guys.

He is smart and sees the field great. Check his #'s out at OSU and then go check out that we weren't just passing the entire time either. It was 60/40...much like in the NFL now days. He never took snaps under center but boy can he sling it. He actually has pretty quick feet for not looking very nimble. I'm not worried about under center with him. He will put in the time to work on it as I know he already has. Watch the Gruden Camp if you're interested in that. As far as his age, he hates the jokes about it while in college. He played football his senior yr in HS but didn't even pick up a football until 8 years later. He throws the ball hard and I don't mean just NFL hard...like he'll be one of the hardest throwing guys in the NFL. His accuracy is great but he does seem to "sling it" sometimes and take some chances down the field. It pays off at times and not at others but he also is very smart about it. He isn't going to throw the game away but he knows when to take the risk and when to hit the guy in the flat or on the short crossing route.

I think you will be impressed next year by Weeden and hope he leads the Browns to their first SB victory. You guys got a good one in Weeden, no doubt in my mind.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Guys.. He's 6'4 224, has a very good arm, and is only 3 years OLDER than Colt. It's worth the risk. So he only plays 8 years.. Who gives rats butt. The age is NOTHING to me if he's here for 6 years and pans out we are WAY ahead of the game. Kurt Warner didn't start a NFL game till he was 28. The position was in DIRE need of an upgrade. I'm betting we just got one.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Legend
Legend
Welcome to the boards.

I hope that you're right, and he does, indeed, lead us to a Super Bowl. (or 4)

I think that he'll be a huge upgrade at QB for us.

(Funny thing is that I am usually the most cynical person on these boards ...... and now I'm the most enthusiastic about our first round)

123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I read something that Weeden took about half his snaps from under Center, and the other half from the shotgun.

Also, Heckert has a friend on the Oklahoma State staff who raved about Weeden. We know from last year with Taylor that Heckert puts a lot of stock in what people he personally knows tell him.

Plus, there is no way in hell that we were going to win 8-9 games with McCoy. Not gonna happen in any universe, under any circumstances. They gave McCoy a shot, but McCoy simply did not show enough of anything to be #onsidered as the undisputed starter. Quite frankly, he didn't show enough to really warrant an invite back. He was awful. I believe that he was a huge part of the problem with the receivers. Evidently the front office agrees.

I don't know if Weeden will be the guy to take us to a Super Bowl, but I feel a lot better about his chances than I do about McCoy's.I got so sick last year when they would show receivers running wide open down the field ..... and McCoy fighting himself so he could throw a 3 yard crossing pattern instead.

Plus .... when Cribbs said something about being anxious to see what Wallace could do ... that told me all I needed to know about how the receivers felt about McCoy. Sure he couched it in the usual "We'll miss Colt, and, of course he's our starter .... but ......"

I am actually looking forward to next year now.

My thoughts exactly. I just got the feeling that it couldn't be all the WR's fault last year. Mo Mass has shown that he can be okay, Little shows good signs, and Norwood showed good signs as well. Get a QB that can actually get them the ball down field and see what they are truly made of. With a RT at 37 tomorrow, this will be one of my favorite drafts in a looong time.

Also lets be realistic here. This is the Browns. There hasn't been anybody truly respectable here at QB since the "old" browns. If we get 5 good years out of Weeden it is one if the best sucess stories since we've come back. Think how many QB's have come and gone...

Last edited by 123; 04/26/12 11:58 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

My feeling is that Weeden would have been there at 37. I like Weeden as a player, but not at where the Browns took him.

That's the exact thing I've been saying to people. Liked the guy, happy to have him. Just didn't want him TODAY. But like I said in another post, there were 6 guys I liked at 22. 5 are still there, only the top guy (Reiff) is off the board. So if they keep falling, IF, it may end up working out just fine.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Anyone who has a problem with trading up for Richardson over valued the picks. Richardson has HOF potential.

Weeden...yeah, go ahead and vent. I understand.

I think we could have taken Richardson at #4.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This was a bad bad pick. Weeden would have been available later. Oline was available and good ones. Our FO blew it.

They just blew it. Prisco graded our pick at 22 as an F

The ONLY F awarded in the first round.

Just beyond freakin stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
But had we taken Richardson ad a WR/RT tonight, Colt would have went to sleep with positive thoughts...

Instead he's up all night trying to sell his house...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We should have taken Decasto and stayed pat with Mcoy for 1 more year, and if he didn't improve then use your 1st next year on a QB.....this was a HUGE mistake for this franchise.

The Weeden pick really makes me think that the coaching staff has no faith in Colt McCoy. And if that's the case, that really says something.

I'm gonna let things play out and not curse their names yet. Remember, Colt was a 3rd round pick, so there were plenty of questions about him in the first place.

As for the talk of Weeden being there at 37, with all these trades, who knows. All it takes is one team that really wants a guy. Look at Seattle, they took Bruce Irvin. I wanted us to trade back into the second to get him, lol.

Am I buying a Weeden jersey? No. (But I am buying a Richardson jersey, woo hoo!)

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Tom Heckert said that the Bucs had a trade to move up and take Richardson at 3. The Vikings asked them if they wanted to beat it. Heckert beat it.

Now should I trust your gut, or the guy who was in the room?

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/c

There are 31 other teams out there for all you doom and gloomers out there. Heckert said in his presser that we wouldnt be going high on a rt. And there where alot of reports about us wanting weeden. We got our guy, he is a Brown now I will back him til he gives me a reason not to. Heck alot of the people complaining bout us drafting weeden are the same ppd who was complaining about how bad Dolt is/was.

Personally I am pretty pumped for day 2 of the draft, and am excited for the season. T-RICH is going to be a great player for us, and weeden is going to make alot of ppl eat crow next year.

#brownsgoodkarma
123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

That's the exact thing I've been saying to people. Liked the guy, happy to have him. Just didn't want him TODAY. But like I said in another post, there were 6 guys I liked at 22. 5 are still there, only the top guy (Reiff) is off the board. So if they keep falling, IF, it may end up working out just fine.

My mindset is - If they get someone at 37 that I would have picked at 22 - I will mentally switch the pick in my head and be happy as can be.

oioioioi
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

But had we taken Richardson ad a WR/RT tonight, Colt would have went to sleep with positive thoughts...

Instead he's up all night trying to sell his house...

Well, it was either tonight or tomorrow night.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Anyone who has a problem with trading up for Richardson over valued the picks. Richardson has HOF potential.

Weeden...yeah, go ahead and vent. I understand.

I think we could have taken Richardson at #4.

Richardson was gone at #3, either to us, or to whoever else Minnesota was entertaining a trade with. No doubt whatsoever that Minnesota was trading out of the third pick. It just so happens that by trading back only one spot, they could get the guy they wanted anyway and still pick up a couple extra late round picks. If they trade back further, there's no guarantee they get Kalil, who was their guy.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I see us trading Colt McCoy. I wonder what we can get for him.

Nothing. He'll have to be released.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

this was definately a monkey poo pick. With reiff and mercilus on the board, just amazing....

I hope it works out, but this really means that the RT is next....

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET A WR?!

As the saying goes around here, wait till next year! LOL. Unbelievable!

Next year comes and goes ect.....

Idiots .. I mean we can't attract a FA WR so you need to draft one and draft one high.
The best we can hope for is another pipe dream 2nd round WR

No lets dump our RB and draft one with a trade up at pick 3

Think about it ... both first round picks are replacement for who this FO brought in two years ago for those positions and we traded up for Hardesty wasting more picks.

Spinning Wheels *sigh*

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I see us trading Colt McCoy. I wonder what we can get for him.

Nothing. He'll have to be released.

McCoy will probably settle into the role he's best suited for, backup.

There's nothing wrong with being a backup QB in the NFL. Every team has 1 or 2 of them.

I am curious as to why McCoy wold "have to" be released? Why can't he be a backup, as his ability and productivity would indicate his role should be?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do believe in BPA and I also do put an emphasis on the QB position. It is why i had Tannehill ranked so high. Now I loved the Richardson trade up, he was my 2nd favorite player and he is a fantastic back.

Weeden is a talented guy but there is no way in hell that he was BPA even with positional bump. I don't know if anyone other than the Browns would have taken him before the 3rd. This was the classic need reach that Heckert was just preaching against.

Now if you can keep the pocket clean Weeden can be a terrific QB. If he has to move off the spot, he can't hit for scat. With Massie, Martin and Glenn still on board we can get one of them to help keep the pocket clean for them.

This was a reach and a really dumb move but it could work just ass backwards. We are all in to win today. I would package whatever it took to get Alshon Jeffery and one of those stud RT's in here. We need 2 picks very quickly tomorrow.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

At least he's really good with pressure in his face. If he wasn't I'd REALLY be concerned with the fact he doesn't know the footwork coming out from under center, or the fact that he doesn't know the WCO, or the fact that he's going to be 29 in a few months.

Sarcasm is my soul.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I'm... Going... To buy... A Weeden... Jersey...?

...Reverse Jinx maybe?

Campaign for Weeden to be on the 2014 Madden cover?

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Quote:

Weeden MUST start this year. You don't draft a QB in the first round, especially a 29 year old QB, and sit him on the bench.

Agreed, He must start. Browns need to draft a RT and a WR tomorrow for him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dont you mean Techmo Bowl

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard