Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Weeden MUST start this year. You don't draft a QB in the first round, especially a 29 year old QB, and sit him on the bench.

Agreed, He must start. Browns need to draft a RT and a WR tomorrow for him.

I'm sure he's a decent QB. My problem is that Weeden at 22 is a reach pick. Are you here to tell me that we don't value DeCastro, Reiff or Martin??

Geez..

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year

I hope someway the Browns get Stephen Hill or Glenn tomorrow that way i can rationalize as the browns picks went 3) TRich 22) Glenn/HIl 37) Weeden

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This was a reach and a really dumb move but it could work just ass backwards. We are all in to win today. I would package whatever it took to get Alshon Jeffery and one of those stud RT's in here. We need 2 picks very quickly tomorrow.

Not so sure Weeden is a reach, but I do agree on the moves to make tomorrow. Get ourselves a real RT. Package our picks and figure out a way to move up and get ourselves another 2nd round decent WR. Jeffery, Randle, Hill. Those guys all offer options vertically (Jeffery because of his jump ball ability and body control skills), Randle and Hill with their speed.

But yes, if we want our offense to succeed we will need a starting RT who is starter quality. This helps Richardson, and it also helps Weeden.

We want 4 starters, that's how we gotta do it. Even if we gotta trade a fourth next year. 3, 4, and next year's 3, and get us a quality WR.

The rest of the picks can be for defense. But this offense will not run without a RT and another WR. MoMass/Cribbs/Carlton Mitch aren't legitimate players to put across from Greg Little. Jordan Norwood is stirctly slot.

We need someone who can stretch the field and keep the box from getting congested, Randle, Hill, Jeffery: they all can do that

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Tells you exactly what they think of McCoy....

...I hope he's renting and didn't buy...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Does tell you what they think about McCoy.

Weeden is one of the worst QBs I've ever seen under pressure.

If he's not under pressure he's ok.

We absolutely need a stud RT, because Weeden will be a TO machine if he's getting blitzed.

I hate the pick.

~Lyuokdea
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Dont you mean Techmo Bowl

I remember playing it in the arcade in the 1980s!

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Things I really like about Weeden:

His arm is extremely lively. Better strength than anyone in this draft. Not quite Anderson, but its damn strong.

He's pretty accurate. He can hit slants on the money and can nail the back in an emergency.

His motion isn't too slow and he can make the awkward throws.

Knows how to run a fast pace offense. Would do well to run no huddle quite a bit.

He knows how to beat a defense before the snap. He can read line backers, safeties, corners and knows how to trap them.

Things I dislike about Weeden:

His biggest know is the one everyone already knows: He's old.

He must improve the throws when getting hit. He can beat the blitz, but he needs to do it consistently.

Can he run a complex system? Ran a simple system in college.

It's a reach. But it definitely has potential. He must start though, must beat out Colt immediately. I think he can do it too. Major Risk, Major reward. This pick screams win now.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We need 2 picks very quickly tomorrow.

We have one and spent 3 of our trade able picks already.

Like I said RB does not set up our draft to fill our needs. We are 1 pick and 1 blue chip WR short.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I actually think that Weeden will do well in the WCO.

I am so looking forward to next year. Funny, just a day or so ago I was almost dreading it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

His motion isn't too slow and he can make the awkward throws.

Absolutely disagree - watch him with pressure in his face. He falls backwards and tosses the ball generically into the air, it's sickening...

watch the first and third plays in this sequence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3XooClErAx4#t=56s

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 04/27/12 12:33 AM.

~Lyuokdea
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Why in the he??/ is 28/29 to old?
I would think that 50 guys w/ tape will see /know more than you experts!!
love the move for TR, we can't use 13 picks.
If ya notice nobody from 23-32 needed a QB sign #1
the best wheeler dealer behind us BB/NE just traded w/ Cinn sign #2
Who's going to make deals overnite, they are still teams that need a QB???
I just wanted a RB,WR,OL & QB we're 1/2 there.
This old man is going to bed.............cuz I'm alot past 30

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not so sure Weeden is a reach, but I do agree on the moves to make tomorrow. Get ourselves a real RT. Package our picks and figure out a way to move up and get ourselves another 2nd round decent WR. Jeffery, Randle, Hill. Those guys all offer options vertically (Jeffery because of his jump ball ability and body control skills), Randle and Hill with their speed.

But yes, if we want our offense to succeed we will need a starting RT who is starter quality. This helps Richardson, and it also helps Weeden.

We want 4 starters, that's how we gotta do it. Even if we gotta trade a fourth next year. 3, 4, and next year's 3, and get us a quality WR.

The rest of the picks can be for defense. But this offense will not run without a RT and another WR. MoMass/Cribbs/Carlton Mitch aren't legitimate players to put across from Greg Little. Jordan Norwood is stirctly slot.

We need someone who can stretch the field and keep the box from getting congested, Randle, Hill, Jeffery: they all can do that

If we can get a RT and WR tomorrow....I'll step off the ledge about Weeden. If you would have told me that we'd have a RB, QB, RT and WR with our first four picks I would probably have been happy 3 weeks ago.

Like most on here, I was ok with Weeden, just not at 22. But I am growing to understand why you reach for a QB....you have to.

For the FO, Weeden and our sanity.....I hope he's ready to go.

I'd still like to keep Colt if possible.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I think it's interesting. The routes he hits best are the short slant and the running back on a dump. He hits those with accuracy and allowing them to gain a lot YAC. And he can definitely hit the deep routes.

I think he can definitely play the WCO. It's just how well can he play it from the get go?

you had a good run Hank.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Why in the he??/ is 28/29 to old?
I would think that 50 guys w/ tape will see /know more than you experts!!
love the move for TR, we can't use 13 picks.
If ya notice nobody from 23-32 needed a QB sign #1
the best wheeler dealer behind us BB/NE just traded w/ Cinn sign #2
Who's going to make deals overnite, they are still teams that need a QB???
I just wanted a RB,WR,OL & QB we're 1/2 there.
This old man is going to bed.............cuz I'm alot past 30

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Guess we are looking to move McCoy ...... if we can find a taker ......

Cleveland Browns take Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden as new starting QB | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/cleveland_browns_take_oklahoma.html

BEREA, Ohio -- A decade ago, it was all very different for Brandon Weeden. Back then, the 6-foot-3 Oklahoma native was embarking on his baseball career, ecstatic after the New York Yankees made him a second-round selection in the MLB draft.

Fast forward through shoulder problems while bouncing around the minor leagues for five years, two seasons leading Oklahoma State as a quarterback after making the squad as a walk-on, and finally, to Thursday's first round of the NFL draft.

Suddenly, Weeden is "the guy" for the Browns. The quarterback of the future, a 28-year-old rookie with a golden arm who is likely to supplant Colt McCoy as the starter.

"In our opinion, he is (the guy)," Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said. "We took the kid at the 22nd pick of the draft. We're hoping he is."

Heckert said discussions about trading McCoy would take place through the evening and into Friday. But in the meantime, Weeden was happy to celebrate what was somewhat of a surprising move for Cleveland to select him with their second first-round pick.

"I can't say I was surprised. I was hoping," Weeden said. "[After] going through the baseball draft, you've got to just kind of fly by the seat of your pants. When I got that phone call [from the Browns] it was special. One of the best moments of my life."

According to coach Pat Shurmur, the Browns had their eye on Weeden the whole time.

"When we went throught the process of evaluating him, we became very fond of him," Shurmur said. "We all did. From (owner) Randy (Lerner) to (president) Mike (Holmgern) to Tom (Heckert) to myself. We came away saying, 'This is a guy we'd like to have on our team.'"

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
He has trouble with pressure up the middle. Sometimes he makes a great throw, other times he really throws a duck up.

If he can improve that, he's a franchise QB. If he doesn't, he's a good player.

Long story short, I think Weeden is a good QB with the potential to be a franchise QB. Can he do it? I think so. He has the drive and smarts to improve. Now he has to do it.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With what is left on the board, I would trade next years first for an early 2nd this year.

L
2nd String
2nd String
L
I find it absolutely hilarious the amount of people in here that have already given up on a QB that hasn't played and think they know more about executives in an NFL front office.

Remember the TJ Ward, Phil Taylor and even Sheard pick? Most Browns fans thought those were awful, and they seem to be working out just fine.

Colt McCoy was awful, if they think Weeden can be a QB for 8 years that's pretty damn solid and probably the shelf life of Richardson who will be the face of our franchise for that same time period.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

With what is left on the board, I would trade next years first for an early 2nd this year.

Except in our division with a rookie QB, that's probably a top ten pick.

I'd trade our second next year and our third to get back into the early second, go with Glenn/Jeffery.

I have no faith in the front office to take anybody I like right now though - maybe an emotional response....but damn....

~Lyuokdea
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Eh, I may give up a 2nd next year plus some picks this year...

I'm never a fan of giving up future firsts...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I can't believe they aren't taking anyone you like. The Browns must really not like you. How could they just blatantly disrespect you like that and take guys they like instead?

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I definitely would not do that.

If I could package a future 3rd with this year's 3rd and 5th to move into the 2nd I would consider that ..... but I actually kinda like where we are in the draft right now.

I'm so happy right now that we could take Burfict in the 6th round and I wouldn;t even flip out.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Except in our division with a rookie QB, that's probably a top ten pick.

I'd trade our second next year and our third to get back into the early second, go with Glenn/Jeffery.

I have no faith in the front office to take anybody I like right now though - maybe an emotional response....but damn....

I'd trade the Browns ownership and the entire front office for a new owner and committee of fans to make the draft selections.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

No way........

We might be picking real early next year if something really bad happens to Joe Thomas, Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, etc. That's a risky thing to be willing to give up, especially in the new salary slotting system.

Do I want to trade up? Definitely. But I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet. Let's say we get our WR with our 2nd round pick. A RT with our third round pick. Bam, we're back in it. Just depends on who we might be able to find to play RT.

I'm willing to trade our 3rd, 4th, and next year's third to move into early 2nd. I'd trade third and next year's third to move into mid-second. Depending on who's there, our second next year and a third this year.

But next year's 1st, no freakin way. That's hitting the panic button. I bet we could trade for a RT in this league now for a better pick for us than that

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Difference is for me I have Glenn, Martin and Jeffery as top 15 talents. I want to walk out with 2 of those 3.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That would be a crash and burn fireball of a front office if they were to do that.

Do you think we'll be picking at 17 or above next year?

If so "crack is whack".

We're the odds on favorite for #1 right now.

[Linked Image]
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Quote:

I can't believe they aren't taking anyone you like. The Browns must really not like you. How could they just blatantly disrespect you like that and take guys they like instead?

I wasn't saying that without a little bit of sarcasm - but I don't think I'm the only person who has watched film, and doesn't understand what the Browns like about Weeden....

~Lyuokdea
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

Colt McCoy was awful, if they think Weeden can be a QB for 8 years that's pretty damn solid and probably the shelf life of Richardson who will be the face of our franchise for that same time period.

I definitely agree with this. The FO obvious though Colt was done. They obviously liked Weeden. They must have had some inclination that Weeden wouldn't make it to 37, other wise they wouldn't have taken him. It is completely irrational to think that Heckert would take Weeden at 22, knowing full well that he could get him at 37. It makes no sense. There is something more to it, unless the PC and MAC scouts here on dogtalk say there isn't.

Everyone just needs to relalx for a minute, and forget about the "we need a QB for the next 15 yrs" attitude. That almost never happened. Manning and Favre. Rogers and Ben if they stay healthy. Flacco probably won't play for 15 years. Brees is on his second team. Average lifespan for a Browns QB is like 1/2 year. If, somehow, Weeden works out, and plays until he'l 36 or 37, thats 8-9 years. I would be ecstatic if this old man played at a high level for 8 years. Hell, I'd be stoked if he were good for 4 years.

Plus, we have T Rich. We're golden

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
j/c

Terry Pluto was told by Heckert that they had Weeden ranked 13th on their draft board.

Seriously tying their fate to Weeden. Better be right.

Edit: Link and quote:

Quote:

But the Browns obviously believe in him, and Heckert told the WTAM radio crew that the Browns had Weeden ranked No. 13 on their board.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2012/04/terry_plutos_scribbles_after_t.html

Last edited by Thebigbaddawg; 04/27/12 12:59 AM.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
I like how when someone disagrees with someone else, they can call them "arm chair QBs!" or point how "Other people are actually paid to scout for a living"

Because them disagreeing means that persons opinion is invalid, because their opinion is apparently more valid...

Or something...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L

~Lyuokdea
T
Legend
Legend
T
This trade up for Trent is almost as bad as what Mangini did a few years back with the Jets trade.

I'm not a fan of anymore trade ups.

If I'm on the clock right now, Pick Massie and hope for a receiver later.

They whiffed on getting a pass rusher, should have NeveR went with that runningback,

Colt McCoy has no more excuses.

Trent Richardson just cost us a mid round DB, so they'll be reaching for DB's AGAIN!! and again and again and again and again just like the last 12 years.
Oh say it ain't so. I'm gonna go sulk

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
NOT EVEN 24 HOURS AGO YOU POSTED ABOUT HOW RICHARDSON WAS THE PICK YOU WANTED...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??

#TROLL

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

I like how when someone disagrees with someone else, they can call them "arm chair QBs!" or point how "Other people are actually paid to scout for a living"

Because them disagreeing means that persons opinion is invalid, because their opinion is apparently more valid...

Or something...

I think I get what you're saying. I also think that a lot of fans think they know a lot more than they really do. Opinions are great, the more the merrier. But people here constantly through there opinion around like there is not other option. Or that their opinion should be considered.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

NOT EVEN 24 HOURS AGO YOU POSTED ABOUT HOW RICHARDSON WAS THE PICK YOU WANTED...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??

#TROLL

And that's why I got that guy on "Ignore"

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Or something...

I think I get what you're saying. I also think that a lot of fans think they know a lot more than they really do. Opinions are great, the more the merrier. But people here constantly through there opinion around like there is not other option. Or that their opinion should be considered.

I know what you mean.

And on boards like these, debates usually turn personal. It's almost unavoidable..

I just don't like being told that I'm basically not allowed to be negative..

I got into a legit argument with a close friend of mine because he said I'm not a true fan because I said the Browns suck. As if following blindly or whatever makes you more of a fan...

*sigh* I just want to watch something worth watching...

Legend
Legend
Weren't you the guy who was going to self exile if Burfict wasn't a 1st round pick ......?

(and I apologize if it wasn't you)

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
That was LoyalDawg.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Ah .... OK. Sorry then.

I get them confused.

Legend
Legend
j/c The Weeden pick was the "Never Say Never" moment of the day on the NFL network.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard