Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Quote:

weedon will throw for 3500 yd and 25 td this season. winner

I'd take that and be quite happy about it.

I doubt that he does that well though. We're going to have Richardson to run in a lot of short goal line opportunities.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Django,

I can't wait until I can point out to you that Colt is starting over your boy Weeden.

Just

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
You all either don't know football or are plain ignorant of NFL talent?!? The negativity almost makes me just want to stop coming to this board which carries the most ignorant members that I remember from any ones I've been apart of...literally. I try to come here for useful information and 99% it's all BS from people that have no clue. The Browns made smart moves tonight and many of the true professionals will acknowledge that in the end. I thought we could have had Weeden in the 2nd but now I think that the draft fell the way the front office planned and we still have a good chance at getting guys that I would have gotten at number 22. Good smart strategy... getting that big board!!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Wow, interesting.....Discuss...

Dumbest EFFING move ever!

No wonder these morons are the laughingstock of the NFL!

The whole FO needs fired! The ownership needs to be forced to sell the team!

Mind-effing-boggling! DeCastro is there for the taking. The premiere G that would have been the rock of the interior line for a dozen years and they take an effing QB! An old one!

Joe Biden is officially smarter than the entire Browns organization!

I never felt better being a Browns fan...right or wrong, finally a GM that gets the concept of VALUE....wanna bet the Steelers OL will still suck? Cause they still have no good OTs...I was VERY happy when they took a freaking G over Upshaw or Hightower....let them draft C and Gs ever year and see their QB sacked still the same, lol

Yeah, we needed that RG badly to "block" us to greatness, lol...after all everyone knows that you block for TDs, not throw them...

he was such a great G that he was a RG in College....love the DeCastro and Zeitler selections...Kirkpatrick was a great move though...and Bengals and Ravens got additional value trading down, that sucked...other then that? Let them draft low value crap early....love it

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

What I find amazing is how many people loved Heckert ...... until pick 22.

Now they doubt him with all that they are worth.

Well, I was questioning his desire to trade up one slot with the 4th to the 3rd pick and using three draft picks(that could be used for other trades) to get Richardson. There were too many other options that would have fit for us there and could have used those other picks to make better trades later in the first round when players that we needed were falling down the board.

As much as I liked the Richardson pick, I don't like the trade.

Stop making sense. The average Browns fan can't understand it.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
weedon blackmon and randle just won the first pony express award . he threw for 9000 yds and 70 td in two years. he beat every QB in the draft, he has been a pro before. he went to grudens QB camp and gruden said "this kid has a rocket arm and is going to win a lot of games for someone". i am a browns fan now. rich is going to pond the rock and the weed eater as gruden calls him is going to pick people apart.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

You all either don't know football or are plain ignorant of NFL talent?!? The negativity almost makes me just want to stop coming to this board which carries the most ignorant members than I remember from anyone I've been apart of...literally. I try to come here for useful information and 99% it's all BS from people that have no clue. The Browns made smart moves tonight and many of the true professionals will acknowledge that in the end. I thought we could have had Weeden in the 2nd but now I think that the draft fell the way the front office planned and and we still have a good chance at getting guys that I would have gotten at number 22. Smart guys!!

Imagine you're Heckert...you want Weeden and pretty much all other QB options in the draft suck...your no1 on the depth chart is Colt McHobbit...you need WR, QB and RT....you have Weeden left for QB only and multiple possibilities for RT and WR...what do you do? For those of you who argue that he would have been there at 37...well, maybe 80%, maybe even 95%....but why even risk the 5% for your last shot at the biggest problem currently on the roster? Why let 31 otehr GMs get a good night of sleep and conversation to consider trading up in front you to select Weeden? Why risk it?

Not a fan of the TR uptrade but I like the attitude on both picks...go get em ! We wanted them...badly...and made sure we get them...love the confidence....remember those days when this guy acting as GM and HC traded back in the 1st round for 6th round selections and then take a C? That's NOT confidence...that's having no clue and throwing darts

#gmstrong

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tell me of any 'expert' that had that high a view on Weeden?

Would you consider Heckert an expert? Holmgren? Shurmur? It seems to me that they had Weeden ranked pretty high.

outside of those nutjobs,.. who rated weeden with a top 18 grade?

Heckert did rate him in the top 18 of players going into the NFL form the draft this year.

Actually, they had him rated as the 13th best selection on their entire draft board. Brandon effing Weeden was #13 on the Browns draft board. Anyone else? Any respected analyst? Any other team? Apparently not!

Yeah, considering the decisions by the Browns front office over the past several years, yeah, I question them. I question their decisions with robustness!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

"Go root for Buffalo".

They have a better team.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah thos last several years..so stupid selections...remember? Haden? Taylor? Sheard? Ward?

Man, these guys really suck picking in the top 50 and evaluating 1st roudn talent

#gmstrong

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
i want to make a bet because im pulling for the browns now. any takers ?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Actually, what I'm seeing is the necessity of trading up to 3 is what's so confusing to the average fan.

I think it's hilarious how everyone was so excited about how we had this glut of draft picks to use as ammo to move around in the draft, but then get all butthurt when we use a couple of those picks to get the #1 guy we were targeting. It's kind of silly to argue if you can't understand this simple concept.

You can rail on the Weeden pick, as far as I'm concerned. There's enough there to criticize. The TR pick was just the FO doing what they needed to do, and NOT overpaying, to get their guy. I applaud them for that #3 pick.

I don't like the Weeden pick at #22. I think we already have enough backup QBs on this roster. Even if he turns out to be better than Colt (I'd guess yes), I don't think he'll be that much better. We don't need a small upgrade at the QB position, we need THE GUY, and I don't see Weeden as the guy. I also think we could have gotten him later, and I would've much rather picked Reiff at that spot and then grabbed Weeden in the second round (trade up in the second round if you have to, Heckert, just don't take him with #22).

Even still, I'll take a wait-and-see approach with Weeden. I do think he'll end up starting for us by the beginning of next season, at the latest. I also think that if he starts for us before the beginning of next season, he's going to suck.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Quote:

You all either don't know football or are plain ignorant of NFL talent?!? The negativity almost makes me just want to stop coming to this board which carries the most ignorant members than I remember from anyone I've been apart of...literally. I try to come here for useful information and 99% it's all BS from people that have no clue. The Browns made smart moves tonight and many of the true professionals will acknowledge that in the end. I thought we could have had Weeden in the 2nd but now I think that the draft fell the way the front office planned and and we still have a good chance at getting guys that I would have gotten at number 22. Smart guys!!

Imagine you're Heckert...you want Weeden and pretty much all other QB options in the draft suck...your no1 on the depth chart is Colt McHobbit...you need WR, QB and RT....you have Weeden left for QB only and multiple possibilities for RT and WR...what do you do? For those of you who argue that he would have been there at 37...well, maybe 80%, maybe even 95%....but why even risk the 5% for your last shot at the biggest problem currently on the roster? Why let 31 otehr GMs get a good night of sleep and conversation to consider trading up in front you to select Weeden? Why risk it?

Not a fan of the TR uptrade but I like the attitude on both picks...go get em ! We wanted them...badly...and made sure we get them...love the confidence....remember those days when this guy acting as GM and HC traded back in the 1st round for 6th round selections and then take a C? That's NOT confidence...that's having no clue and throwing darts

I don't think the FO was waiting around for anything this time. They had their picks and they made sure they got them. I'm 100% behind them!! I personally understand why they did what they did...maybe I'm just too old or have been following football too long.

Like you said....the options at other positions are far deeper than what we selected which gives them better flexibility as the draft goes on. For those that don't understand this....you will when you've been around the block.

[Linked Image from netanimations.net]
I
1st String
1st String
I
Quote:

Quote:

I am speechless at how utterly stupid that was. I get that McCoy sucks, but you don't waste a high pick like that on a reach.

Hey Toad want some good news? We won't have to wait the usual five years to realize he sucks......he'll already be retired in five years....lol

There's a very real chance we'll be taking a QB with our 1st round pick in the 2014 draft...

Browns picks Wasted on QBs in the last 8 years:
1st round 2012
3rd round 2010
1st round 2008 *** this one we lost to get brady quinn in 2007.
1st round 2007
3rd round 2005
I wonder if we would have had a better team if we were building a team rather than pinning hopes and dreams on a new QB every 2 years.
2014 . . . for sure.
we could have had
Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
or
Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
and possibly getting the other in the 2nd. Colt was pretty much set up to fail, by having nothing around him. So now we hand the ball to a 29 year old QB that played in a mostly shotgun offense. Hey Weeden is a WINNER, huh, how many games did colt win?

Ruining QB's since 1999.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

we could have had
or

Last I checked both of those players are still available.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
weedon will have more passing yards and tds this year then luck and rg3 . any takers?

Legend
Legend
I don't have a problem with starting Weeden next season.

McCoy had all kinds of issues trying to run the WCO last year. He didn't get appreciably better as the year went on. I don't see what we are supposedly losing by not having McCoy on the field. He didn't know or understand the offense last year. He couldn;t make the throws or adjust the protections/plays. He had no idea how to his a hot receiver in single cover. He led our team to a staggering 13 points per game.

What, exactly, do we lose?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am speechless at how utterly stupid that was. I get that McCoy sucks, but you don't waste a high pick like that on a reach.

Hey Toad want some good news? We won't have to wait the usual five years to realize he sucks......he'll already be retired in five years....lol

There's a very real chance we'll be taking a QB with our 1st round pick in the 2014 draft...

1st round 2012
3rd round 2010
1st round 2007
3rd round 2005
I wonder if we would have had a better team if we were building a team rather than pinning hopes and dreams on a new QB every 2 years.
2014 . . . for sure.
we could have had
or
and possibly getting the other in the 2nd. Colt was pretty much set up to fail, by having nothing around him. So now we hand the ball to a 29 year old QB that played in a mostly shotgun offense. Hey Weeden is a WINNER, huh, how many games did colt win?

Is either J. Martin or Hill off the board yet? Maybe they are smarter than you? You might bleed orange but you don't bleed brains.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

weedon will have more passing yards and tds this year then luck and rg3 . any takers?

It's very possible.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

It's fun to make judgments on players before they even step on the practice field.

I'm not saying Weeden is the answer. I'm saying it was determined that Colt McCoy was not the answer. If he was not the answer they needed to get a QB. The QB they wanted was Brandon Weeden, and they didn't want to risk not getting him.

I'm telling you that this front office is completely clueless about how to build a team. I would have thought that giving McCoy legitimate weapons (Richardson was a good piece, despite my reservations about the cost to move up 1 spot) to see if he was worthwhile or not was proper. As it stands now, we have a receiving corps of Massaquoi, Cribbs, Little and Norwood plus the TEs of Moore, Cameron, Smith and Watson.

Watson is getting old. Smith was actually used as a FB near the goal line?! Cameron is an unknown that they can't find a use for and Moore is forgotten about for long bouts of time. The receivers are sub-par (none of them would be a starter on any other NFL team) and the one that with the best hands is the smallest guy on the field, Norwood.

The fact that the QB that they wanted was Brandon Weeden should send chills down the spines of true Browns fans. The arguments I've seen have ranged from Staubach to Warner to Elway and Favre (both who played well into their 30s).

Can we compare any more Browns QBs to surefire HOF QBs? Weeden has the arm strength and velocity of Marino, the accuracy of Troy Aikman, the football smarts of Peyton Manning and the mobility of Fran Tarkenton! He is a god among all the QBs to have ever played the game. Whatever people! Brandon Weeden was a 'sure-fire', 'cannot miss', 'best player available' selection.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

Quote:

It's very possible.

It will. he is a smart gun slinger you guys will love him. i wish we could fast forward a year. you guys will be saying "wow what a steal at 22" mark my words .

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

It's very possible.

Man .. he might ... but Weeden is going to have a monster back to hand off to, and neither RG3 nor Luck will. Right now the Skins' starting RB is Helu, and the Colts have Donald Brown. neither guy is the runner that Richardson is ..... and it's not close.

I think that Weeden could have a better year than either of those guys even if he throws for fewer yards because of Richardson.

My main hope is that we will have far more wins than the Redskins and Colts.

Combined.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I'm telling you that this front office is completely clueless about how to build a team.

Seems like they've done a pretty good job on the defensive side of the ball.

Quote:

Cameron is an unknown that they can't find a use for

Cameron was taken as a project pick last year. He wasn't supposed to see the field much.

Quote:

Moore is forgotten about for long bouts of time.

By the quarterback?

Quote:

The receivers are sub-par (none of them would be a starter on any other NFL team)

Really? It seems like Little could start for a few teams. The Rams? Bills? Dolphins? Bengals? And more...

Quote:

and the one that with the best hands is the smallest guy on the field, Norwood.

Why is that a bad thing?

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's very possible.

Man .. he might ... but Weeden is going to have a monster back to hand off to, and neither RG3 nor Luck will. Right now the Skins' starting RB is Helu, and the Colts have Donald Brown. neither guy is the runner that Richardson is ..... and it's not close.

I think that Weeden could have a better year than either of those guys even if he throws for fewer yards because of Richardson.

My main hope is that we will have far more wins than the Redskins and Colts.

Combined.

i get your point but it only helps weedon. our 2 RB ran for 1900 yrs and 33 tds and weedon still threw for 4700 and 37 tds.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over a 4th, 5th, and 7th rounder ... if those picks made sure that we got the top guy we wanted in the draft.

We still have 10 picks. 13 was really too many, and we would likely have cut several draft picks with that many.

Next year you'll be looking back at the players those picks turned into or who was on the board still at that time and think, "Damn was I dumb for thinking that!"

Actually, we have 8 picks remaing, four of them compensatory picks in rounds 6 and 7. We have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th left which we can either use the selection or trade. Of course, Heckert is praying that he's able to get something for McCoy. We might get a 7th, if we're lucky! I have the feeling that we won't even get that for him. We'll be forced to cut him loose and get nothing.

The other two picks you're counting are Richardson and Weeden. Good luck Trent! You'll need it!

We'll be going into the 2012 season with 28-29 y.o. rookie QB and a 32 y.o. career backup (provided that Wallace remains with the team). Anyone really wondering why we're the laughingstock of the NFL? Pathetic!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I doubt that he does that well though. We're going to have Richardson to run in a lot of short goal line opportunities.

And we'll average 9 points a game even with Richardson. Opposing teams will put 9 in the box and laugh as Richardson runs 25 times for 40 yards.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And we'll average 9 points a game even with Richardson. Opposing teams will put 9 in the box and laugh as Richardson runs 25 times for 40 yards.

i still wont to make a bet. no takers?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You're probably right, as usual...after all we know that Weeden doesn't have the arm to keep D's honest and throw a 10yd out....or was that this other QB? What was his name again? Cord McSomething?...I forgot his name...or was it Tim Rattay? Danny Wuerffel? Man, feels like ages ago...I think he even started some games for us

#gmstrong

J
Rookie
Rookie
J
Jax had worked a deal to trade up with Houston for weeden… Gabbert is worse than McCoy. Browns got wind an pulled the triggger – perfect move as hill or Martin will both be at 37. Remarkable how well Heckert maneuvers… Brilliant really

^something i read

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Yeah thos last several years..so stupid selections...remember? Haden? Taylor? Sheard? Ward?

Man, these guys really suck picking in the top 50 and evaluating 1st roudn talent

All defensive side of the ball. How many offensive players are you going to say that they chose wisely on? Little? Hardesty? You personal favorite, McCoy?

They can't even use the ones they do draft correctly.

The Browns are dysfunctional.

And, as for your quip about the Steelers OL. Ask yourself which team will likely be in the playoffs again next year? It ain't going to be the Browns. It'll be the Steelers.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh ...... is there a bet here?

Cuz I'll take that one in a heartbeat.

Colt McCoy sucked as a QB. The front office realized this, and decided to make a move to get rid of him and his suckitude at QB. There is not a single team in the NFL who will hand the reins of their offense over to him. He was flat out awful. He could handle the ridiculously simple offense that Mangini and Daboll out together for him, but when he actually had to start to try and run a more complete offense towards the end of his rookie year, he couldn't. Then last year he proved that while he might be a nice guy .... a competitor .... and a guy who will "battle" .... he's not a starting NFL QB. It's not even close. He does none of the things that an NFL QB must be able to do. He can't read a defense, can't see a hot read, can't make NFL throws ...... and without being able to do those things, he also cannot continue to play QB in the NFL.

Sorry that it hurts you so much that he'll be benched at best, and cut at worst, but his play was killing the Browns.I am so happy that his time as the starting QB fr my beloved Browns has come to an end. Last year was the single worst offensive year I can remember ..... even worse than expansion, because we were supposed to suck back then.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Little has been successful so far. He had 700 yards receiving his rookie season after sitting out an entire year of college. Pinkston started 16 games as a rookie as a 5th round pick. Lauvao, who gets unwarranted hate, has also started quite a few games.

The jury is still out on Marecic, Mitchell, and Cameron.

Hardesty was derailed by injuries.

McCoy was given a chance and was determined to be not good enough.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Actually, what I'm seeing is the necessity of trading up to 3 is what's so confusing to the average fan.

I don't see the necessity of trading up, but if they wanted Richardson, that's fine. Good offensive weapon, even if I think the price was too high.

Quote:

I think it's hilarious how everyone was so excited about how we had this glut of draft picks to use as ammo to move around in the draft, but then get all butthurt when we use a couple of those picks to get the #1 guy we were targeting. It's kind of silly to argue if you can't understand this simple concept.

I understand the concept. I wasn't all that thrilled with moving up. I would have much rather traded down and accumulated even more picks.

Quote:

You can rail on the Weeden pick, as far as I'm concerned. There's enough there to criticize. The TR pick was just the FO doing what they needed to do, and NOT overpaying, to get their guy. I applaud them for that #3 pick.

I applaud them for making the pick at #3, even if I think they overpaid. Again, he's a legit offensive weapon. I would have stayed put and taken a different player (Blackmon, Claiborne, or even Kalil) or sought a trade down. Dallas traded up to #6 with St. Louis to get Claiborne. We could have sought that same trade (getting even more from them) and taking another great player.

As it stands, we spent a good part of the picks that we could trade away to get one player and restricting our ability to now move around later in the draft.

Quote:

I don't like the Weeden pick at #22. I think we already have enough backup QBs on this roster. Even if he turns out to be better than Colt (I'd guess yes), I don't think he'll be that much better. We don't need a small upgrade at the QB position, we need THE GUY, and I don't see Weeden as the guy. I also think we could have gotten him later, and I would've much rather picked Reiff at that spot and then grabbed Weeden in the second round (trade up in the second round if you have to, Heckert, just don't take him with #22).

Personally, I wouldn't have taken Weeden even at 37, but if they had, it would have been more palpable than taking him at 22. It was a huge mistake and I'll just be a fan in exile until these folks are gone. I really question their intelligence at this point.

Quote:

Even still, I'll take a wait-and-see approach with Weeden. I do think he'll end up starting for us by the beginning of next season, at the latest. I also think that if he starts for us before the beginning of next season, he's going to suck.

Next season? Do you mean 2013 or the upcoming one?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

we could have had
or

And will the Browns draft either one? Maybe, but I doubt it.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Seems like they've done a pretty good job on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not talking about the defensive side of the ball.

Quote:

Cameron was taken as a project pick last year. He wasn't supposed to see the field much.

In the fourth round where you can get quality contributing players? I was hoping to see him being used last season. The TE group looked to be the strength of our receiving corps. They weren't used effectively at all. They should have been causing mismatches all over the field. They didn't.

Quote:

By the quarterback?

Moore was forgotten about in the game planning. They didn't even care to incorporate him or any of the TEs into the passing game. When they did find some action it seemed to be a mere afterthought like: Oh! We have these tight ends that we can throw the ball to. Let's mix a pass or two in.

Quote:

Really? It seems like Little could start for a few teams. The Rams? Bills? Dolphins? Bengals? And more...

The Bengals with AJ Green? The Bills with Stevie Johnson? The Dolphins who had Brandon Marshall? I'll give you the Rams, they completely suck too but they were in the hunt for the #1 overall pick until the very last week of the season.

Little was our top receiver and he wouldn't be the top receiver on any legitimate contending team. He wouldn't have even been the top receiver on the Colts. He would have been behind Reggie Wayne AND Pierre Garcon.

Greg Little isn't worth a damn and he wouldn't start on any team other than the Browns or Rams - and with the selections that the Rams have accumulated (three 2nd rounders in this draft and the future 1st rounders), they'll be good, faster than the Browns will be. Probably next season.

Quote:

Why is that a bad thing?

Because the slot guy isn't typically isn't your most prominent receiving threat. He's a possession guy that gets 1 yard beyond the sticks in most cases to get you a first down. He's not going to lead your team in receiving touchdowns. Isn't touchdowns (or the lack of them) the reason that we're discussing trying to improve the offense?

O
Legend
Legend
O
I mean the 2013 season.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Transcript of the conference call with the new starting QB of our Cleveland Browns!

Brandon Weeden: Cleveland Browns draft pick's conference call with reporters -- Transcript | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2012/04/brandon_weeden_cleveland_brown.html

Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden's conference call with reporters after he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns with the 22nd overall pick in the first round of Thursday night's NFL draft:

(On if his selection by the Browns took him by surprise)

Weeden: "I was hoping that this would happen. I felt pretty good about it. Being through the draft before (MLB), you just never know so I was just kind of hoping for the best. Fortunately, it happened and I am extremely excited about it."

(On what his expectations are)

Weeden: "I haven't even stepped foot in Cleveland yet so I can't really answer that question. I am going to come in and compete, that is just my nature. I am going to come in and give it all I have to be the best player I can. I think the Browns feel good about me as a player. Like I said, I am not even there yet and it is still kind of overwhelming. I can promise you one thing, I am going to give it everything I have to make sure that I leave it all on the field and be the best player I can possibly be."

(On if he thought he would join Trent Richardson in Cleveland after Richardson was drafted)

Weeden: "Once I saw them trade up I kind of assumed they were going to go for Trent. Obviously, he's an unbelievable player and very dynamic. I was kind of hoping, you just never know how these things shake out. I was standing by the phone when Mr. (Tom) Heckert called and I got the phone call of a lifetime."

(On if he has any indication of what the Browns' plans for him are this year)

Weeden: "No, we haven't even touched on it to be honest with you. We haven't even gotten that far. They have got a draft to worry about and they have a lot of picks to make to make our franchise a lot better. We will get to that later, right now it's kind of time to enjoy it and tomorrow I'll come to Cleveland and kind of get the ball rolling."

(On how he will fit in to the Browns system coming from the system he was in)

Weeden: "I think if you look at what we did at Oklahoma State, we relied on throwing the football. We put the ball in my hands and I had great playmakers around me which allowed us to do that. I think that is what they saw. I think they saw a guy who can make all of the throws. Regardless of what system you come from or go to, the NFL is such a throwing league that there are a lot of guys who are successful throwing the ball that win a lot of games. Fortunately, that is my strength. I am going to do everything I can to learn this system as fast as I possibly can and get rolling. I was around it a little bit at the Senior Bowl and I got a little bit of a feel for it. I am looking forward to learning it and getting the ball rolling."

(On if he was surprised that he was selected at No. 22 overall)

Weeden: "I can't say that I was surprised, I was hoping. You hear things from different people and there is always speculation. Like I said, I was hoping. I can't really say I was expecting it or didn't expect it. Going through the baseball draft you just have to fly by the seat of your pants and wait until the phone rings. I'll tell you what, when I got that phone call, it was special. It was one of the best moments of my life and obviously a dream come true. I am excited to be a Cleveland Brown."

(On how today went down and what he did to take his mind off of the draft)

Weeden: "I was in New York City for the past couple of nights and decided to come back home with some family and friends. I got back into Oklahoma City and spent time with my wife and my parents a little bit. We have a house full of people here tonight. Basically, I just hung around here and ran a couple of errands. It's hard. When the day is finally here you get kind of restless. I think once the night got rolling, my closest family and friends are here and we were able to share the moment. It was pretty special and this night kind of went just how I hoped."

(On the expectation that comes with being a first round pick and helping this offense)

Weeden: "There is already enough pressure playing in the NFL, you can't put any added pressure. Playing quarterback in the NFL is a tough job, we all know that, but it's a challenge. Being a competitor, it is something that I am really looking forward to taking that next step and continuing to get better as a player. I am not going to put any extra pressure on myself. I understand the responsibilities that go with it. I can promise you one thing, I am going to do everything in my power to become a better player and win as many games as possible."

(On if he knows Colt McCoy and what will he say to him when he sees him)

Weeden: "I don't know Colt. His last year at Texas was before I was a starter. One of my buddies, Zac Robinson, is really good buddies with him. I have always thought really highly of him, great guy. Its competition and that is what sports is all about. He is obviously a great, great player and it is going to be fun working with him and being right there along with him."

(On why he was hoping this scenario would happen)

Weeden: "Obviously, as a player you want to go as high as possible. When I came to Cleveland, it felt like a good fit. I didn't know really where I might land or how it was all going to shake out. You just hope to get an opportunity to play in the National Football League and I finally got my opportunity. I am finally going to get my opportunity to do that. I don't know if you guys know that story of when I was going through the baseball draft, I talked to every single team except for the New York Yankees and they end up taking me with their first pick, so that right there made me kind of suspicious. I didn't really know how it was all going to pan out. Fortunately it did and I am excited about it."

(On if there was any clue that he and Richardson would be the first two picks)

Weeden: "I can't really say there was. From my end, everything really went great. I meshed with everybody within the organization and really felt comfortable with where they were at and how things went on my end. I can't really say that I knew. There are too many unknowns, but it all worked out. He is a great player and like I said, I am just chomping at the bit for this opportunity."

(On what he sees as his ceiling in the NFL)

Weeden: "I think if you look back at my junior year, we had a good year. I think we continued to get better as a team and myself as a player. I can't say that I am not still learning the game. I still have to get better. It is a tough league, a tough position. It is still kind of overwhelming and I am really excited about the opportunity. I put a lot of pressure on myself at Oklahoma State to do everything I can to win games and I take a lot of pride in that. I am going to continue to do that."

(On what is different this time being drafted in the NFL compared to being drafted in MLB)

Weeden: "In baseball you have to go through the grueling part of the minor leagues, whereas now you're in the show. It's the real deal. This opportunity is awesome and it's extremely exciting."

(On why his age should not be a concern)

Weeden: "My body is still fresh. Taking the time off to play baseball and not getting hit as much as a lot of people at Oklahoma State, I stayed healthy. I think I am still continuing to grow and become a better player. You guys know me, it is tough to play 15 years in this league. You have got to continue to work and my body is fresh so I feel like I have got a lot of football left."

(On if Andy Dalton's success last season is an inspiration for him)

Weeden: "Absolutely, and I think that was kind of my approach going in. There are a lot of guys who came in early in their career and played and as a competitor that is what I want to do. Seeing guys like Andy and Cam Newton, these guys come in early and play. Like I said, I've got a lot of work to do still. I haven't even touched down in Cleveland yet, so I have got a lot of work ahead of me. I am just kind of chomping at the bit to get going and see how things shake out."

I
1st String
1st String
I
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1st round 2012
3rd round 2010
1st round 2007
3rd round 2005
2014 . . . for sure.
we could have had
or

Is either J. Martin or Hill off the board yet? Maybe they are smarter than you? You might bleed orange but you don't bleed brains.

yeah but we could have possibly had BOTH a RT and good WR, and we have 1 pick. in the 2nd. I didn't have to take off an shoes to count that high . . .

I've pretty much accepted the fact that we are going to suck forever, we have reached a new low, drafting a 29 year old QB, because he's mature, really? Also happends to be pretty much a spread passing offense, and he was lobbing balls to the best WR in college football. I really wish i were wrong, but like toad said, we are very likely going to be using another pick on a QB in the next couple years . . . again.

Ruining QB's since 1999.
O
Legend
Legend
O
My not wanting to start Weeden this season has nothing to do with McCoy.

I don't want to throw Weeden to the Wolves. I think the Browns' offense went through a ton of growing pains this season (moving to the WCO under a very tight schedule), but I don't think those growing pains are done. TR is going to change the dynamic of this offense, so there will be some growing and adjustments. Also, there will be a RT and a WR or two coming from the draft this year (please please please, football gods). Those guys will need a little time to adjust as well.

I like Heckert and his drafting, so I trust him taking Weeden where he did. I don't like it, but that's why he gets paid the big bucks, I guess. Now that we have Weeden (there's no do-overs) I want Weeden to be in the best situation to succeed, and I think that involves sitting for a season. The opposite would be Weeden getting thrown into the fire, and I don't think he does well in that situation (the overall talent level of this team, the inexperience, etc).

-PrplPplEater
I
1st String
1st String
I
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

we could have had
or

And will the Browns draft either one? Maybe, but I doubt it.

could have had both.

Ruining QB's since 1999.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Brandon Weeden - Browns - #22 Overall Pick

Link Copied to Clipboard