Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
John Hughes?

Sure, lets take a DT that would have been there in round 7. I am completely confused about H&H - do they understand we need WR, CB depth, OLB, DE, etc... before reaching for a 7th round prospect in the 3rd round?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

John who?!?!

Hughes ... big reach here.

the wheels are falling off of the cart

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
so... at what point am i allowed to be angry without it being overreacting?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not my or your board I imagine, but their sure enough

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
except he's a 7th rounder...

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
A lot of places didn't have him in the top 300.

What the hell are we doing?

you had a good run Hank.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Overview
Hughes is a fifth-year senior from Cincinnati who started for two years at defensive tackle. He has the size to compete inside at the next level, but he lacks athletic ability and has been rather unproductive to this point in his career. He could get selected in a later round by a team that falls in love with him, but he is more likely to get a shot as a free agent. The pre-draft process will be of extra importance for Hughes, as he needs to prove he has the skills to match his frame.

Analysis
StrengthsHughes is a big man who until his senior year had mostly been a gap-filler. He uses his hands well to stay off blocks and displays good technique. He can defeat single blocks fairly easily and plays with good instincts. It's obvious that he is diagnosing plays early after recognizing blocking schemes.
WeaknessesHughes has numerous issues in his play that, if not fixed early, could severely limit his NFL prospects. He seems lazy at times and rarely chases plays down on the perimeter. As a run defender, he is capable of getting through blocks but often looks shell-shocked once he gets in the backfield. He needs to finish with more force; at times Hughes would be neutralized by offensive linemen because of his poor effort and pad placement

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
L
Legend
Legend
L
I have officially gotten to the point that i realize that no matter how much I want to believe otherwise, our FO sucks....and this draft with the exception of TR has been an exercise in futility. pathetic

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Quote:

John who?!?!

Hughes ... big reach here.

the wheels are falling off of the cart

The only reasonable explanation I can think of for this draft is that Holmgren and Heckert want to get fired so they can sit on the beach the next two years counting Lerner's money

Legend
Legend
This is my "WTF" moment.

Heckert does seem to know DT though. We do have a need at depth there. I still don't get the pick though.

I think that Heckert did mean it though when he said that he likes our receivers.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

so... at what point am i allowed to be angry without it being overreacting?

That is just a head scratcher.

They just took a guy rated as a late 7th rounder / undrafted with a 3rd round pick.

I think you can be angry at that one.

Legend
Legend
H&H are officially Trolling the Browns...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
This pick is flat out unacceptable and undefendable. This is a Mangini pick.

you had a good run Hank.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

This is my "WTF" moment.

Heckert does seem to know DT though. We do have a need at depth there. I still don't get the pick though.

I think that Heckert did mean it though when he said that he likes our receivers.

problem is noone else with a brain and a set of eyes likes our receivers

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I'm starting to become convinced Heckert doesn't know what he's doing

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I honestly don't mind picking DT as we have no depth and I think adding depth there is great but how do you pick this guy over Mike Martin??? I hate Michigan but that guy is going to be one of those late round steals

All Pro
All Pro
at this point Im starting to worry they think we're ok at wr..wth this draft WAS deep at wr but its thinning quickly

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Legend
Legend
The Saints just took a guy from Canada or something.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Wait till he's on the field to make judgments.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
damn.

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think lerner should call H&H and tell them not even to come back to berea

Legend
Legend
I don't understand how 99% of people who spend 30 minutes thinking about the draft can make better moves than this.

Really, it doesn't make any sense. Why does the NFL hate the Browns?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

This is my "WTF" moment.

I think Heckert got held hostage because there is no way anyone with a brain would keep taking these reaches 2-5 rounds early.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

I honestly don't mind picking DT as we have no depth and I think adding depth there is great but how do you pick this guy over Mike Martin??? I hate Michigan but that guy is going to be one of those late round steals

martin is gone

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Overview
Hughes is a fifth-year senior from Cincinnati who started for two years at defensive tackle. He has the size to compete inside at the next level, but he lacks athletic ability and has been rather unproductive to this point in his career. He could get selected in a later round by a team that falls in love with him, but he is more likely to get a shot as a free agent. The pre-draft process will be of extra importance for Hughes, as he needs to prove he has the skills to match his frame.

Analysis
StrengthsHughes is a big man who until his senior year had mostly been a gap-filler. He uses his hands well to stay off blocks and displays good technique. He can defeat single blocks fairly easily and plays with good instincts. It's obvious that he is diagnosing plays early after recognizing blocking schemes.
WeaknessesHughes has numerous issues in his play that, if not fixed early, could severely limit his NFL prospects. He seems lazy at times and rarely chases plays down on the perimeter. As a run defender, he is capable of getting through blocks but often looks shell-shocked once he gets in the backfield. He needs to finish with more force; at times Hughes would be neutralized by offensive linemen because of his poor effort and pad placement

Wow! he doesn't seem to fit our PA

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Akiem Hicks is sweet. I'm not surprised he went in the third.

I would have been ok with him as our pick, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Do we even have scouts?

Last edited by CleveSteve; 04/27/12 10:44 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Martin went to Tennessee at #82.

If we wanted a DT, we should have just taken Martin at the top of the 3rd.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

at this point Im starting to worry they think we're ok at wr..wth this draft WAQS deep at wr but its thinning quickly

I have no other explaination for this. HH MUST think we are okay at WR. Either that or they think that Colt made all the receivers lead the NFL in drops.

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Akiem Hicks is sweet. I'm not surprised he went in the third.

I'm surprised he got drafted after whoever the heck we just drafted that isn't even ranked in the top 250

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He reaches more than I like...falls in love with a guy and doesn't properly assess his value.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
i missed that...thanks...i feel slightly better but still WTF WTF WTF WTF

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Bingo, I dunno who the guy is. But I feel like around these later rounds, a lot of names are just the same names being thrown around.

Some scout saw this guy, we must have watched him on tape, we must have talked to his coaches, etc. And we had to like something about the guy. He is a third round pick.........

Obviously the WR didn't impress and this guy shows potential. I'd like to get a WLB and WR tomorrow

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Check out Hicks' picture on his profile.

"Uh .... dude ..........."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1679965/akiem-hicks

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Bingo, I dunno who the guy is. But I feel like around these later rounds, a lot of names are just the same names being thrown around.

Later rounds??!! This was in the top 90 picks.

We just took a guy who was projected to possibly go undrafted (250+) with a top 90 pick.

It makes no sense, regardless of how much we liked him. He would have easily been there at 120 and even then it would have been a reach.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

He reaches more than I like...falls in love with a guy and doesn't properly assess his value.

BINGO...that's what separates a Ted Thompson, Ozzie Newsome, Kevin Colbert and Belicheck from the rest

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think lerner should call H&H and tell them not even to come back to berea

They are in berea...

<><

#gmstrong
N
Rookie
Rookie
N
Quote:

The only reasonable explanation I can think of for this draft is that Holmgren and Heckert want to get fired so they can sit on the beach the next two years counting Lerner's money

H&H simply do not understand how the draft works. Just look at how the Bengals, Steelers and Ravens are having people fall to them to meet their needs. They do it so effortless.

Moving 67 to 87 was significant and logically (verified by the draft trade chart), we got screwed. I was expecting next year's 2 with a move up 20 picks in the top 100.

I would have been ok with the best corner, safety, LB, or OG, realizing we got jipped on the second tier WRs, which we would have had munition to move up for had we played the board better (like moving back for Weeden).

I am beyond disgusted at this team. This draft is an embarrassment of mismanagement that may get masked by a good first year by Richardson.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Check out Hicks' picture on his profile.

"Uh .... dude ..........."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1679965/akiem-hicks

that is funny!!! made my day.

because I just read this on Cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/04/cleveland_brownsnfl_draft_2012_1.html

From NFL.com: "Hughes is a fifth-year senior from Cincinnati who started for two years at defensive tackle. He has the size to compete inside at the next level, but he lacks athletic ability and has been rather unproductive to this point in his career.

He could get selected in a later round by a team that falls in love with him, but he is more likely to get a shot as a free agent. The pre-draft process will be of extra importance for Hughes, as he needs to prove he has the skills to match his frame."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wow.

All Pro
All Pro
maybe H&H are Molly Ringwald fans

"Its too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence"
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) NFL Draft Discussion Day 2

Link Copied to Clipboard