Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
I love hindsight

Round 1, Pick 3 (3): RB Trent Richardson Alabama
Gorgeous. When it got down to the 3rd round I wish we had still had the 4-7 picks we gave up, but I'm glad we got Trent.

Round 1, Pick 22 (22): OT Riley Reiff Iowa
I was screaming for Hill here, but hindsight allows me to know we'll get him at 37, so I'd take Reiff and be even more sure our O-Line was better...

Round 2, Pick 5 (37): WR Stephen Hill Georgia Tech
Him on one side, Little on the other, with Norwood in the slot? Yes please...

Round 3, Pick 24 (87): CB Jayron Hosley Virginia Tech
Best CB at the time, he and Patterson can fight for the #2 spot across from Haden.

Round 4, Pick 5 (100): QB Kirk Cousins Michigan State
I didn't go QB round 1, so I take a guy who is now stuck in DC, I feel really sorry for him. Seriously.

Round 4, Pick 25 (120): LB Tank Carder TCU
I had to take him almost a full round before he went just to get him based on where our picks are. #ManCrush, the dude is awesome...

Round 5, Pick 25 (160): DE Johnathan Massaquoi Troy
Best DE available IMO at the pick... Let him learn behind Rucker and eventually take over.

Round 6, Pick 34 (204): LB Emmanuel Acho Texas
Round 6, Pick 35 (205): DT Billy Winn Boise State
I actually really liked these two picks...

Round 7, Pick 38 (245):
Round 7, Pick 40 (247):

I honestly have no idea, I would of probably taken a shot at Burfict had I not already taken two LBs. Maybe a speedy RB to compliment Richardson, another WR, who knows.. #crapshoot

I think I'm going to do one later with our ORIGINAL picks (before any trades) cause I'll be bored then...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Looks good but I don't agree with the Cousins pick.... and I don't feel sorry for him. He is going to have a chance to develop a little and with RGIII's running style and slight frame, he's going to get hurt, at some point Cousins is going to get a chance to start. Had he gone somewhere with higher expectations he might have busted but as it stands, if RGIII can get through the first year or so before he gets hurt, Cousins could be the next Flynn.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I see your point.

I just thought he was the best mid-late round QB, and I basically gave Colt this year to prove himself while Cousins learned...

Partly I feel bAd for Kirk is because I think Washington is one of the worst run organizations in ALL OF SPORTS...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

And, I still don't believe either had the desire to trade up to grab Weeden.

And the fact is nobody knows for sure. There have been reports that teams were looking to trade up in the early 2nd to grab Weeden before us ... so who knows. The easiest thing to do is just say draft whoever was actually available at #37, and that didn't include Weeden. Like I said before, you also get the benefit of hindsight ... so if you wanted to draft Massie in the second round, you can actually hold-out until the 4th round to grab him, because you know where he actually went. So quit being a baby and play by the rules.

I do agree with you though that I think Weeden would of been there at #37 ... I'd give it at least a 95% chance. But I think the Browns had been over-bid by SF to get RGIII, they almost lost out on Richardson when Tampa Bay almost traded up in front of them, and they saw one of their main receiver targets get picked right in front of them ... so instead of sweating it out, they just took Weeden a pick earlier than they wanted to, just to make sure they had a new QB for next year.

Legend
Legend
So if we wait until 37 to take Weeden... who do we get at 22 that represents a huge upgrade? Reiff instead of Schwartz I guess.. is that really a big enough upgrade to risk not getting the QB you want? I don't think so. If Weeden really was a target at either 22 or 37, then we weren't getting an OT and a WR, which is the only logical choice.. so I think taking Weeden was the smart play at 22 if that's the guy you wanted.

I'm just glad we didn't totally panic and take him at 4.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
is Reiff even an upgrade over Schwartz? our FO didn't seem to think so and there were places that had Schwartz as the #1 rated RT. we won't really know until the fall (and maybe not then if the Lions put Reiff at LT)

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Your Picks:
Round 1, Pick 3 (3): Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
Round 1, Pick 22 (22): David DeCastro, G, Stanford
Round 2, Pick 5 (37): Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
Round 3, Pick 4 (67): Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
Round 4, Pick 5 (100): Bobby Massie, T, Mississippi
Round 5, Pick 25 (160): Jonathan Massaquoi, DE, Troy
Round 6, Pick 34 (204): Billy Winn, DT, Boise St.
Round 6, Pick 35 (205): Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia
Round 7, Pick 38 (245): Trevin Wade, CB, Arizona
Round 7, Pick 40 (247): Brad Smelley, FB/TE, Alabama

I did a few of these out of boredom, and settled on this one.

Didn't trade with Denver, 'cause I didn't feel like it, and left Smelley in because I didn't really care.

Our o-line is set for years to come, we've acquired a few nice pieces on offense (with a gamble on Hill's potential) and added some rotational players to the defense (who, if they pan out, go a long way in settling the D-line; still a solid starting DE away, most likely). The team is now in perfect position to angle for a potential franchise QB with elite tools after what is more than likely going to be another losing season. A lack of linebackers is a weakness here.

In another I did, I took Schwartz where we did, and Sanu with the pick I didn't trade to Denver.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

is Reiff even an upgrade over Schwartz? our FO didn't seem to think so and there were places that had Schwartz as the #1 rated RT. we won't really know until the fall (and maybe not then if the Lions put Reiff at LT)

I don't know and that was my point.. people are saying Weeden would have been there at 37... maybe he would have but who was on the board to take at 22 that was worth taking the risk? I don't see anything.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
I know. I was helping your point

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Sorry, not used to anybody agreeing with me.

yebat' Putin
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

but who was on the board to take at 22 that was worth taking the risk? I don't see anything.

DeCastro.

Elite prospect that has very high odds to be a perennial Pro Bowler.

I take him even if it ensures losing out on Weeden.

He makes our line considerably better. I never saw Heckert making the move, but it's what I would've done.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He makes our line considerably better.

I don't doubt that for a second.. but so does Schwartz.. and I think Schwartz and Weeden makes our OFFENSE better than DeCastro and a 2nd tier WR...

yebat' Putin
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

I don't doubt that for a second.. but so does Schwartz.. and I think Schwartz and Weeden makes our OFFENSE better than DeCastro and a 2nd tier WR...

One could also argue there's more risk in Schwartz and a second-tier QB.

I don't dislike Schwartz, and I don't hate Weeden, either, but I don't see him as a first round, franchise QB. If you're drafting a QB in the first, you have to be looking at high odds and an elite skill set. Weeden doesn't have an elite skill set and he's a massive gamble. It's an especially bad pick for a team that really can't afford to gamble.

I think McCoy had pretty much no chance at developing into a starting calibur NFL QB, but that doesn't mean you draft a guy high just to do so.

And there's a number of ways we could've gone besides WR. I'd like to have taken one, sure, but Hill in the second is a big risk as well, and the other guys don't really scream starter. Sure, they may be an upgrade over what we have, but what we have is so bad that I don't think that should be a deciding factor necessarily.

Hell, we could've gone Richardson, DeCastro, Schwartz. IMO that would've been so much better than what we did.

Next year, we'll be picking in the top 5-10 again. Weeden isn't going to change that. And we've invested so much into him that we're handcuffed to a HUGE gamble.

I really hope we hit on it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

1a) TRich
1b) DeCastro
2) Weeden
3) Schwartz

I do like that much more. Though there were a lot of tackles taken in the second round...So another OT might need to be picked in round 3 or later..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Heck I could do 2..

3-Trent Richardson RB..nothing needs to be said..done

22-Brandon Weeden QB OSU ..Sticking with this.

37-Stephon Hill WR GT ...first change and I was torn about a RT here.

100-Bobbie Massi OT Ole Miss..yep went with OT here.

120- Shaun Prater CB Iowa ...wanted a CB earlier

160- Terrell Manning OLB North Carolina State ..my starter at OLB

204- Emmanuel Acho LB Texas ..I can move him around

205- Billy Winn DT Boise..o.k I'll stick with this one.

245- LeQuinton Evans WR Southern ..another receiver..

247-Travian Robertson DT South Carolina ..depth

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really like your draft. The only issue I have with it is that after pick 37, the OT's went fast. Silatolu at 40, Glenn 41, Martin 42, Allen 43, Adams 56, Osemele 60, Stephenson 74, Holmes 91, Bergstrom 95. I am thinking that after the picks at 40-43 we would not have traded down from 67. So we would not have picked up pick 120. We might have even tried to trade back up to ensure that we got one of the RT's that we wanted.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
This is basically saying, had we stayed at 4 and NOT gotten Richardson (TB moves up as rumored) what I would had done at each pick (No trades)

Round 1, Pick 4 (4): WR Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State
Round 1, Pick 22 (22): QB Brandom Weeden Oklahoma State
Round 2, Pick 5 (37): DE Vinny Curry Marshall
Round 3, Pick 24 (67): DT Mike Martin Michigan
Round 4, Pick 5 (100): OT Bobbie Massie Mississippi
Round 4, Pick 23 (118): CB Brandon Boykin Georgia
Round 5, Pick 4 (139): LB Tank Carder TCU
Round 5, Pick 25 (160): OG Ryan Miller Colorado
Round 6, Pick 5 (175): RB Cyrus Gray Texas A&M
Round 6, Pick 34 (204): LB Emmanuel Acho Texas
Round 6, Pick 35 (205): DT Billy Winn Boise State
Round 7, Pick 38 (245): S Aaron Henry Wisconsin
Round 7, Pick 40 (247): WR Jeff Fuller Texas A&M

T
Legend
Legend
T
If I could have found a way to get
Tannehill at 4
M Sanu at 22
and LaMichael James at 37
look for an Offensive Tackle at 67
that would have been nice.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I would have projectile vomited if that had happened.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
1(3)....T. Richardson RB

1(22)....D. DeCastro G

2(37)....S. Hill WR

3(87)....B. Thompson DT

4(100)....B. Massie T

4(120)....R. Lewis OLB

5(160)....J. Criner WR

6(204)....B. Winn....DT

6(205)....A. Denard CB

7(245)....C. Polk RB

7(247)....J. Brown G

The Mammal
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Ok, I'll play along (purely by the picks that we actually used):

Round 1, Pick 3 (3): Richardson,RB, Bama (I came around on him late, but I did)
Round 1, Pick 22 (22): Glenn, OT, UGa (I had him above Reiff)
Round 2, Pick 5 (37): J.Robinson, CB, UCF (CBs really poor later)
Round 3, Pick 24 (87): N.Foles, QB, Zona
Round 4, Pick 5 (100): James-Michael Johnson, LB, Nev (or I could wait till 120 and pick Marvin here, either way)
Round 4, Pick 25 (120): M.Jones, WR, Cal
Round 5, Pick 25 (160): J.Criner, WR, Zona
Round 6, Pick 34 (204): E.Acho, LB, Tx (good value)
Round 6, Pick 35 (205): B.Winn, DE, Boise (good value)
Round 7, Pick 38 (245): T.Wade, CB, Zona (I don't know, so I'll defer)
Round 7, Pick 40 (247): B.Smelley, TE/HB, Bama (I like the duel-headed Bama backfield idea at least)

with how the WR boards seemed so different from person to person, I understand why they waited on one. Benjamin wasn't one of the guys on my list, but it's possible they see more in him and that Harris was holding him back.

I obviously don't have a guy who is going to take away Colt's job right away, but I think Foles has a ton of talent and is a good backup option while still being able to use the high spots on addressing other starting positions. I went with a CB2 because the CB-dropoff is pretty big in the #37-#87 slots.

Outside of that, I liked our LBers we grabbed, so I kept them. I grabbed a couple of my favorite WRs and I left the late picks alone because at that point we are all guessing (thought about putting in Chris Polk, but who knows how bad his shoulders are to get him not drafted).

This is a fun thread to re-read. Above was who I would have drafted given how the actual draft played out. I'd be pretty happy with the guys I picked (Schwartz is better than I thought - Glenn was good too).

We wouldn't have had the need to spend a pick on Gordon with my draft though, so that would have been an unknown flaw.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
t-rich
decastro
schwartz
wilson (we traded out of our 3rd)

Kinda happy with the rest of the draft. I'm ok with Weeden right now but I'm just being honest, If I could do it all over again, I'd have gone with Wilson.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

t-rich
decastro
schwartz

Kinda happy with the rest of the draft. I'm ok with Weeden right now but I'm just being honest, If I could do it all over again, I'd have gone with Wilson.

Better take him at #3 overall, then.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

t-rich
decastro
schwartz

Better take him at #3 overall, then.

Are we doing that against all the other teams who know what we know, or are we getting in the Delorian? Cause if so, I'm waiting cause I know he'll be there in round 3!

N
Legend
Legend
N
just to be clear, my post was taken from right after the draft. i'd change a bunch of names if it were done today.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If you have access to a Delorian with spacetime capabilities.....go back even further. Say 1987 and tell Webster Slaughter to block his freaking man on a late 4th-Q running play in Denver. And then jump to 97 to tell Grover to NOT bring Joe Table in. And then around 1998, eliminate art. And for the Cavs, I guess you'd have to somehow kidnap the Spurs team before Game 1 tipoff.

But if we're only limited to last April, yeah draft Wilson before Seattle in the 3rd round.

(though I'm not really sold on him going forward. Dude had a very good year, but something smells fishy in his game. I think he'll come back to the pack next year)

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

And then around 1998, eliminate art

isn't it too late by '98?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Round 1, Pick 3 (3): Ryan Tannehill
He played well enough on a team I don't feel to be as talented as us. I think he will be fine. I'd rather him at 3/4 than Weeden at 22. (And I like Weeden)

Round 1, Pick 22 (22): Coby Fleener
We need more hands, and TEs, Coby is the best one, After years of Heap and Heath, you'd think we'd have someone by now.

Round 2, Pick 5 (37): Mitchell Schwartz
Are there other RTs out ther, later? Yes, but with my Kendall Storm powers of hindsight, I KNOW he works out, So I'm not going to ruin it.

Round 3, Pick 24 (87): John Hughes
There is really nothing between 88 and 99 worth giving up on the great D Line depth we have. (So let's change to a 3-4!)

Round 4, Pick 5 (100): Travis Benjamin
I keep him, we needed the speed, I think he'll do fine going forward.

Round 4, Pick 25 (120): James Michael Johnson
I like him, in the 4-3 or 3-4.

Round 5, Pick 25 (160): Alfred Morris
Duh.

Round 6, Pick 34 (204): Billy Winn
Yeah, I totally bumped him up a spot

Round 6, Pick 35 (205): Brad Nortman
Goodbye Hodges.

Round 7, Pick 38 (245): Trevin Wade
Round 7, Pick 40 (247): Brad Smelly
I think Wade and Smelly were solid picks, which in time can contribute.

*Rereads his re-mock draft*

I don't like it...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, 1994. I don't know why I typed '98 when I had '94 in my head. Oh well.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, 1994. I don't know why I typed '98 when I had '94 in my head. Oh well.

I was thinking maybe you meant '88 so that the Browns could not miss out on a new stadium from the city. Not sure Dave Modell would have been any better though.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I wanted Clairborne at #4
I wanted Doug Martin at 22
(I had a heart attack when decastro was still there)
37 schwartz
#67Russel Wilson

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here some funny things I said on draft day:

all i know if the steelers got the 2nd best OL in the draft and we end up with the 4th drafted qb. which has a succss rate of less than 10% in the past decade

not much out of those videos make me go... WOW! that guy is a first round qb that can take the Browns to the SuperBowl.

watch the last video

He isn't as accurate as people think. He was just lucky to have a great WR to bail him out. He overthrows/under a lot and didn't have that great of ball placement. He forces way too many passes, he makes some really really less than intelligent plays. If people complained about colt under throwing... they will have a field day with Weeden. He also leaves his WR's out to dry.

He reminds me a lot of DA-- strong arm that has limited control and sprays footballs all over the field in a 2 step drop in the shotgun.

Legend
Legend
How did the Steelers' "2nd best OL" wind up working out for them? Every time I saw him play, he seemed to be over-matched.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

M
1st String
1st String
M
This gives me nightmares on what could have been...

Blackmon and Lavonte David in round 1.
Schwartz in Round 2
Russell Wilson in Round 3
Alfred Morris in Round 4

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This gives me nightmares on what could have been...

Blackmon and Lavonte David in round 1.
Schwartz in Round 2
Russell Wilson in Round 3
Alfred Morris in Round 4

Ugh. I hate you so much right now...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How did the Steelers' "2nd best OL" wind up working out for them? Every time I saw him play, he seemed to be over-matched.

Well, he tore his knee up in pre-season but managed to come back for the last 3 games of the season. I am still extremely confident that he has All-Pro talent and will be a force for years on their line.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think you were just talking without doing any research.

(not surprised)

he played in 4 games and started 3 week 14-17 because of an injury

Legend
Legend
I wasn't impressed with him when I saw him play. (although he was better in the finale against the Browns)

The Steelers run game certainly didn't improve with him in the games he played. In those final 3 games, the Steelers ran for 69 yards on 17 carries against the Cowboys, 31 for 95 yards against the Bengals, and 28 for 91 yards against us.

That's 79 carries for 255 yards in those final 3 games which Decastro started for a whopping 3.22 yards/carry. For the year they averaged 3.7 yards/carry. That's a big dropoff.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
What games did you see him play in?

He played well against us. The previous week he played the Bengals at the same time as our game. The week before that he played the Cowboys in his first regular season start, and he played well there (I actually watched that game; there was a sack Marcus Spears got off of him, though Big Ben rolled right into it; otherwise he looked good).

Legend
Legend
He was not at all impressive in run blocking from what I saw.

Our DL had a massive day's work in that game. The 4 starters (and Parker) combined for 17 total tackles in that game. The OL didn't shove them around anywhere.

The Steelers did not run the ball effectively in that game. I wish I hadn't erased the game a week or so ago, because I came away less than impressed with him watching the game, and I could expound upon it further if I hadn't. The Steelers defense set them up in that game, giving them the ball with great field position on several occasions. 2 of the Steelers TD drives were 3 plays/24 yards and 6 plays/27 yards.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) 2012 Re-Draft - You make the Browns Picks over again

Link Copied to Clipboard