Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Ravens:

Round 2, Pick 3 (35) (From Vikings) Courtney Upshaw OLB 6'2" 272 Alabama 88.0   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "What a great fit. Remember, their Sam linebacker left town. Upshaw now steps in with a chance to win that spot as a second-round rookie."
Round 2, Pick 28 (60) Kelechi Osemele T 6'5" 333 Iowa St. 83.0   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "Another guy I really liked in this draft. I'm guessing he's the kind of player John Harbaugh likes. He's a phone-booth offensive guard. I don't think he can live on the outside."
Round 3, Pick 21 (84) (From Falcons) Bernard Pierce RB 6'0" 218 Temple 71.0   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "What I like about Pierce is that he has better feet for a big guy than you would think. For the Ravens, anybody who can step in and take some of the load off of Ray Rice, that's a good thing."
Round 4, Pick 3 (98) (From Vikings) Gino Gradkowski G 6'3" 300 Delaware 50.2 PickAnalysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Gradkowski fortifies the depth on the Ravens' interior line. He will need some time to develop, but should compete for playing time in a year or so.
Round 4, Pick 35 (130) (Compensatory selection) Christian Thompson FS 6'0" 211 South Carolina St. 53.2   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Thompson is a rangy safety with size and speed. He will enter the league as a special teams player, but could blossom into a serviceable starter in time.
Round 5, Pick 34 (169) (Compensatory selection) Asa Jackson CB 5'10" 191 Cal Poly 70.5 Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: The Ravens nab a small-school standout with the selection of Jackson. He is slightly undersized, but plays with outstanding confidence and tenacity on the perimeter.
Round 6, Pick 28 (198) Tommy Streeter WR 6'5" 219 Miami 69.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Streeter was expected to come off the board sooner. His combination of speed and athleticism could make him a surprise contributor.
Round 7, Pick 29 (236) Deangelo Tyson DE 6'2" 315 Georgia 54.2 Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Tyson is a hard-working defender with potential. He could make the final roster as a rotational player.

Steelers:

Round 1, Pick 24 (24) David DeCastro G 6'5" 316 Stanford 92.5   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "He's a natural Pittsburgh Steeler. He's a plug-and-play guard. The Steelers have had all kinds of problems up front, and this kid fits in Pittsburgh."
Round 2, Pick 24 (56) Mike Adams OT 6'7" 323 Ohio St. 86.0   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "He would've been a first-round pick had he not failed the drug test at the combine. He's got left-tackle feet. There's some off-the-field issues, but he's a gifted left tackle. Now with him and David DeCastro in the first round, this is a completely different offensive line."
Round 3, Pick 23 (86) Sean Spence LB 5'11" 231 Miami 80.2   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "One of my favorite football players on tape. He's one of the more instinctive linebackers in this draft. In the 3-4 scheme in Pittsburgh, he's going to have to play outside or that Will linebacker inside. Either way, I don't care, because I really like the way he plays."
Round 4, Pick 14 (109) (From Raiders through Redskins) Alameda Ta'amu DT 6'3" 348 Washington 77.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: The Steelers find a capable replacement for Casey Hampton in Ta'amu. He is immovable off the point and routinely wins against double teams.
Round 5, Pick 24 (159) Chris Rainey RB 5'8" 180 Florida 71.7   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: The Steelers needed a change-of-pace runner with burst and explosiveness. Rainey is an accomplished track athlete with real speed and he will upgrade Pittsburgh's backfield rotation.
Round 7, Pick 24 (231) Toney Clemons WR 6'2" 210 Colorado 51.2 Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Clemons is a tall, rangy pass catcher with solid skills. He gives the Steelers a bigger receiver to target over the middle.
Round 7, Pick 33 (240) (Compensatory selection) David Paulson TE 6'3" 245 Oregon 54.5   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Paulson is an underrated pass catcher with good skills. He could emerge as a surprise contributor as a backup player.
Round 7, Pick 39 (246) (Compensatory selection) Terrence Frederick CB 5'10" 187 Texas A&M 66.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Frederick will compete for playing time as backup/special teams player. He must stand out quickly in workouts to crack a deep rotation at the position.
Round 7, Pick 41 (248) (Compensatory selection) Kelvin Beachum T 6'2" 303 SMU 49.2   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Beachum joins a competitive situation at offensive tackle as a backup candidate. He has developmental potential, but will need to make strides in several areas to crack the final roster.

Bengals:

Round 1, Pick 17 (17) (From Raiders) Dre Kirkpatrick CB 6'1" 186 Alabama 87.2   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "They desperately need this young player. Keep in mind that Cincinnati has signed several defensive backs this offseason. They understand that this is an area of concern. They just got themselves the last true first-round cornerback of this draft. Mike Zimmer will get an awful lot out of this kid."
Round 1, Pick 27 (27) (From Saints through Patriots) Kevin Zeitler G 6'4" 314 Wisconsin 85.0   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "This is a solid pick. I don't care if it's not popular -- this is a plug-and-play guard. Wisconsin offensive linemen are always well coached. The Bengals could use the help up front, and this kid will provide it. He can play zone and man. He's an immediate starter. Well done."
Round 2, Pick 21 (53) Devon Still DT 6'5" 303 Penn St. 84.2   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "The Bengals need a big body behind Geno Atkins who can come in and play on run downs. A lot of people thought a year ago that Still would be a top-20 pick, but his tape is indifferent and inconsistent."
Round 3, Pick 20 (83) Mohamed Sanu WR 6'2" 211 Rutgers 80.5   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "He's played with three different true freshman QBs in his career, so the fact that he's impressed enough to get picked in the third round says something about him. I think the Bengals need some help at receiver."
Round 3, Pick 30 (93) (From Patriots) Brandon Thompson DT 6'2" 314 Clemson 84.5   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "He can push the pocket in the pass game. He's quick, he's tough, he gets off the ball quickly. He's got a little giddy-up to his game. I like him."
Round 4, Pick 21 (116) Orson Charles TE 6'2" 251 Georgia 79.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: The Bengals continue to add talented weapons to their offense with the selection of Charles. He is an explosive vertical threat with the athleticism and burst to create problems for defenders in space.
Round 5, Pick 21 (156) Shaun Prater CB 5'10" 190 Iowa 66.0 Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Prater is an athletic corner with good instincts and awareness. He is ideally suited to play in sub packages, but could emerge as a starter down the road.
Round 5, Pick 31 (166) (From Patriots) Marvin Jones WR 6'1" 199 California 74.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: The Bengals are quietly assembling an explosive but diverse offensive lineup. Jones is a polished route runner with outstanding ball skills and he could surpass some of the Bengals' veterans as a possible No. 3 receiver.
Round 5, Pick 32 (167) (From Giants) George Iloka FS 6'4" 225 Boise St. 73.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Iloka possesses all of the physical tools to develop into a frontline playmaker, but he needs to play with more urgency and toughness. If the light comes on, the Bengals might have landed a solid starter for years at the position.
Round 6, Pick 21 (191) Dan Herron RB 5'10" 213 Ohio St. 54.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Herron gives the Bengals a hard-nosed runner with quickness and power. He will begin the season as a No. 3 running back, but his consistent production could vault him up the depth chart.

Browns:

Round 1, Pick 3 (3) (From Vikings) Trent Richardson RB 5'9" 228 Alabama 93.5   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "I've been banging my head for two months that the Browns needed to draft Trent Richardson. ... They're saying this kid is so special, not only do we believe in him at four, but we're going to give away an extra pick to get a running back in the big-boy division. You play the Steelers, Ravens, Bengals -- bad weather, sloppy fields. What does this kid do for you? He keeps you in the game, he shortens the game, and he gives you a chance to win in the fourth quarter."
Round 1, Pick 22 (22) (From Falcons) Brandon Weeden QB 6'4" 221 Oklahoma St. 83.7   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "They got their running back earlier, and now they got their QB. He can make all the throws. People are concerned about Weeden's age at 28 years old, but you draft him because you expect him to compete this year. If he's the more impressive guy in camp, then he will start over Colt McCoy."
Round 2, Pick 5 (37) Mitchell Schwartz T 6'5" 318 California 82.5   Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "This is a guy that wins ugly -- but he wins. His stock has been rising ever since the Senior Bowl. His technique and the angles he takes are phenomenal. He's a plug-and-play right tackle, so he better be a starter right away."
Round 3, Pick 24 (87) (From Broncos) John Hughes DT 6'2" 309 Cincinnati 48.2 Pick Analysis: Mayock's take: "He's been rising over about the last two months or so. He's not elite in any one solid category, but he will be a good rotational player."
Round 4, Pick 5 (100) Travis Benjamin WR 5'10" 172 Miami 66.5   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Benjamin adds an explosive weapon to the Browns' offense with his speed and burst. He will stretch the field as a vertical threat and adds another dimension to the return game.
Round 4, Pick 25 (120) (From Broncos) James-Michael Johnson ILB 6'1" 241 Nevada 69.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Johnson is a heavy-handed MLB with instincts and awareness. He owns the tackle-to-tackle box and could develop into a quality starter quickly in his career.
Round 5, Pick 25 (160) (From Broncos) Ryan Miller G 6'7" 321 Colorado 66.5   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Miller is a physical offensive lineman with size and strength. He should improve the depth along the interior.
Round 6, Pick 34 (204) (Compensatory selection) Emmanuel Acho OLB 6'1" 238 Texas 57.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Acho is an edge player with athleticism and quickness. He is raw, but shows the potential to make contributions as a situational rusher.
Round 6, Pick 35 (205) (Compensatory selection) Billy Winn DT 6'4" 294 Boise St. 84.0   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Winn was arguably the most talented defender at Boise State, but a suspect work ethic prompted some teams to cool on his potential. However, his upside makes him a great value pick at this point.
Round 7, Pick 38 (245) (Compensatory selection) Trevin Wade CB 5'10" 192 Arizona 82.5   Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: Wade is an enigmatic corner with underrated cover skills. He struggles with consistency, but could develop into a quality No. 3 if the light comes on. Round 7, Pick 40 (247) (Compensatory selection) Brad Smelley TE 6'2" 237 Alabama 48.5 Pick Analysis: Bucky Brooks' take: The Browns nab a tough, physical tight end with soft hands. Smelley is a scrappy competitor capable of making contributions as receiver or blocker as a No. 2 tight end.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Thanks for the recap. Good to know what our division is doing.

I will say, though, that I'm really trying to focus more on us than I am on them (and I'm not saying you're not doing that). I just know some people who get so worked up that a team drafted a certain guy and how that's going to hurt us, etc.

Yeah, I'd like for the AFC North teams (except us) to draft a bunch of bums. But, it's not likely since we used to have the monopoly on that.

So, for me, it's more important on who WE have. Pittsburgh wants to draft an OL? Who cares, we have solid DL. Baltimore wants to pick a good TE? Who cares, we have quality LBs. Cinci wants to pick Burfict? Who cares, we have quality OL to pick him up.

I know we may not be there yet, but that's the mindset I'm trying to take.

JMHApproach

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yeah, I mainly posted this for a one stop reference, but the rest of the division keeps their foot on the gas peddle and even the Bengals have been drafting well of late. Our task doesn't ever get easier with franchise that seem to have good drafts year in and year out. I would even say that we need to have great drafts to close the gap on them.

That and good Coaching of course

[Linked Image]

N
Legend
Legend
N
I hope my scouting stinks this year because my 2 favorite teams drafts are the Texans (who cares if they do well) and the Bengals (no, really)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do like the Bengals draft.

However, I really like our draft.

Hughes makes me scratch my head a little bit.

Benjamin wasn't a guy I was targeting, but he's the TYPE of receiver I feel we need.

If we had gone TY Hilton in the 3rd and Ta'amu in the 4th instead of Hughes/Benjamin, I would have given this draft an A+

As it stands, I'll still say a solid A.

FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I hope my scouting stinks this year because my 2 favorite teams drafts are the Texans (who cares if they do well) and the Bengals (no, really)

I agree that the Bengals have changed their spots. They really added some good players, they fortified both lines well and got the CB who I think they had targeted all along, so that allowed them to trade down with their 2nd first round pick and add some more good picks.

As much as it pains me to agree ... I do agree.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I thought the Chargers, Bengals, Bills, Vikings (besides Josh robinson), Eagles, Steelers, and Titans had really good drafts.

Jets got a huge steal with Antonio Allen in the 7th.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Thanks for compiling this list.
Unlike in year's past I can say,I like ours,as well as I like thiers.We are all just kids in the candy store right now.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
FL_Dawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I thought the Chargers, Bengals, Bills, Vikings (besides Josh robinson), Eagles, Steelers, and Titans had really good drafts.

Jets got a huge steal with Antonio Allen in the 7th.

I think so too. The Chargers got a top 10 talent with Melvin Ingram in the first round. I liked him for a 43 defense, but he will make for a very good SOLB in their 34.

[Linked Image]

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) AFC North Division Draft recap:

Link Copied to Clipboard