M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Browns coach Pat Shurmur: Brandon Weeden 'headed in the right direction'

...jc...

Pre season is where Weeden takes over the starting job or loses the starting job. They all look good in these mini camps, when there is no real hitting going on...and the coaches will always say nice things, like he's headed in the right direction...fluff..

You can pencil Weeden in as the Browns starting QB unless he loses the position during pre season. Personally, I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity and leaves no doubt who should be the starter...because there is nothing worse in Cleveland than a QB controversy.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

because there is nothing worse in Cleveland than a QB controversy.

Sadly there is. It is called QB play.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Wanna make a bet on us making the playoffs?

Thanks for proving my point.

Your point was we would have made the playoffs last year with above average qb play.

THAT was your point.

This year, we will have a stud running back - who of course will be healthy all year, we have what we think will be an improved O line, and we have the stud qb.

YOUR point was, all we needed last year was above average qb play and we take cincy's playoff spot.

Apparently you are backing away from that already?

Thanks for proving my point. Look - YOU said it, not me. You backing off of that statement of yours already?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Both are somewhat similar, but neither was the QB hitting a receiver in stride, with the ability to run after the catch.

RAC or not, they were both perfectly placed given the situation, while on the run, and isn't that what we are really talking about?

YTown, the two throws that DC pointed out were sideline throws and one was in the end zone.

How are you supposed to get RAC from that?

That's his point, people are talking about how Colt can make a throw that LEADS TO RAC, and then show throws that.. don't...

Hold on a second ...

Wallace made a throw in the AZ game that YTown claimed Colt couldn't make. DC posted some video that he believed proved Colt could make that throw. YT then claimed the Colt throws didn't allow for RAC.

I believe DC's point was that Colt could make a similar difficult throw when the pocket breaks down and he's scrambling. To that extent, he was right. But the RAC comment was a little out of left field. Both throws highlighted that Colt made were accurate throws AT THE sideline (one of them being in the endzone). How are you supposed to get RAC from either of those?

Are you and YTown arguing that he should have seen the WRs sooner?

I'm really not following you here.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I liked that he called Mo out too.

I don't have much faith in him, but him proving me wrong could make a big difference in the win column this year, especially if Little continues to develop.

Bottom line, we need Mo to come into his own.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for proving my point.

Your point was we would have made the playoffs last year with above average qb play.

THAT was your point.

This year, we will have a stud running back - who of course will be healthy all year, we have what we think will be an improved O line, and we have the stud qb.

YOUR point was, all we needed last year was above average qb play and we take cincy's playoff spot.

Apparently you are backing away from that already?

Thanks for proving my point. Look - YOU said it, not me. You backing off of that statement of yours already?

Separating last year from this year. Helps when you use logic. But you never do anyways.

You want to bet THAT WE WONT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

I'm hoping that we do. But hey, I'm the bad guy here.

Last edited by OSGuy; 05/14/12 07:51 PM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Both are somewhat similar, but neither was the QB hitting a receiver in stride, with the ability to run after the catch.

RAC or not, they were both perfectly placed given the situation, while on the run, and isn't that what we are really talking about?

YTown, the two throws that DC pointed out were sideline throws and one was in the end zone.

How are you supposed to get RAC from that?

That's his point, people are talking about how Colt can make a throw that LEADS TO RAC, and then show throws that.. don't...

Hold on a second ...

Wallace made a throw in the AZ game that YTown claimed Colt couldn't make. DC posted some video that he believed proved Colt could make that throw. YT then claimed the Colt throws didn't allow for RAC.

I believe DC's point was that Colt could make a similar difficult throw when the pocket breaks down and he's scrambling. To that extent, he was right. But the RAC comment was a little out of left field. Both throws highlighted that Colt made were accurate throws AT THE sideline (one of them being in the endzone). How are you supposed to get RAC from either of those?

Are you and YTown arguing that he should have seen the WRs sooner?

I'm really not following you here.

I wasn't reffering to the mobility at all, or saying anything negative.

I was saying that people were talking about RAC, and then they showed throws that RAC was literally impossible to have. So the question of RAC was still there.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Legend
Legend
A
Wow - talk about a word twister.

YOU said - you flat out stated - that last year we would have made the playoffs with an above average qb.

Dude, you got your "above average qb" this year, PLUS a running back, plus what we hope will be an improved line. Seriously - you said we WOULD have made the playoffs last year with above average qb play.

I find it hilarious that you are now backing away from that statement. Shows what kind of person you are - you don't stand behind your words for very long.

Nope, not long at all. I'm not betting anything about the playoffs. I'm betting YOU. But, it does seem you won't take that bet.

Legend
Legend
Please point out where I said Brandon Weeden is an Above Average QB.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Nope, not long at all. I'm not betting anything about the playoffs. I'm betting YOU. But, it does seem you won't take that bet.

Quote:

And I'm the "Word Twister"

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
if Cameron can't secure a starting job this year,he's a blown pick.
I've seen so many guys in the preseason make a great play or 2 for the Browns and all of a sudden these expectations materialized and sooner than later they are on the cut list.
Armond Smith,John Haggerty, Jake Delhomme, Ben Gay, that whats his name DE who had a ton of sacks in the preseason then eventually got picked up by Philly..oh yeah Alex Hall,then was cut by Philly then had a cup of soup with the Giants.
David McMillian was another one..looked like freakin Dwight Freeney in preseason.

Legend
Legend
u forgot a TE..

Martin Rucker..

Its strange too that Shurmur is talking about the offseason like it was 3 months ago.. technically the Browns offseason is really just starting in regards to camp. How does he know already how good guys have gotten?

Last edited by HotBYoungTurk; 05/14/12 08:50 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And I'm the "Word Twister"

Dude, don't play 5th grade with me. Read the thread. Thanks in advance for acting like a grown up.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

What most of us were saying is, with what he had around him, I'm not sure a Payton Manning could have done a whole lot more. Better than McCoy,, I'd certainly hope so.. But tremendously better,, ahhh.. That's a hard one to believe.

We would of made the playoffs last year (Taking Cincy's spot) had we had ABOVE AVERAGE QB play..

That's how bad Colt was last year...

Never mind acting like an adult. Here is your post. Twist YOUR OWN words however you want.

What I DO know is you're not willing to back this statement up.

Legend
Legend
It's my opinion that LAST YEAR had we had ABOVE AVERAGE QB PLAY. We would of won enough games to qualify for the Playoffs.

It's literally impossible to "back up" an opinion on something that happened months ago, you know that right?

You have a serious problem dude. There is something wrong with you. I don't know what it is.

Feel free to continue posting the crap you post though, cause it makes you happy.

Last edited by OSGuy; 05/14/12 09:38 PM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Ah, so you made a post that you don't back up, and it's my problem. Got it.

Legend
Legend
Are you serious?

How EXACTLY would you like me to "back up" my opinion of something that happened going on a year ago?

Hmm?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Again - you made a post you can't or won't back up. Not my problem.

Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
Above Average? hmmmm.. interesting.. I would hate to see what just average would look like.

Any QB's in the league that you know of that just played average? Blaine Gabbert?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

And.....................that's your reply.

Neat.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Above Average? hmmmm.. interesting.. I would hate to see what just average would look like.

Any QB's in the league that you know of that just played average? Blaine Gabbert?

Um, Blaine Gabbert played well below average. As did McCoy.

Legend
Legend
I completely misread your comment. my bad.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

My original comment, that you replied to, was this:

"Wallace was under pressure, one the move, and he threw a perfect ball that hit Little in stride. Little didn't have to break stride one bit, and thus outran the defender to toe end zone.

Can you identify one throw in Colt McCoy's professional career that is similar in those regards?"

I acknowledged that the throws by McCoy that you showed were good throws ..... but neither fit the criteria that I asked for in my post. They were good throws. Those throws were far too few and far between from McCoy. Neither throw was a throw that led the receiver down the field, and led to a TD.

Look, any and every QB has a few highlight type throws over the course of a season+ of work. A few quality throws does not make a QB a quality starter. IMHO, it takes more than a small handful of plays to be a trend. Evidently the front office agrees with me.

The funny thing is that Shurmur is now talking about all of the things that I have been talking about ..... as far as accuracy, ball placement, timing, and so on. People talked like I had 3 eyes when I said stuff like that .... yet all of a sudden here we are and the Head Coach is now saying much of what I was talking about.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
In fairness, when the #22 pick was approaching ..... I did want Weeden at that point.

If someone wants to blast me for that, so be it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Well apparently the Browns wanted Wright, and I don't think I would been any happier with that selection...

Especially if it meant trading back up into the first for Weeden.

I was hoping for Hill or a RT at 22.

Legend
Legend
And that's fair enough.

I rather like the way the first 2 rounds turned out. I love the top 3 picks, and see Richardson, Weeden, and Schwartz as potential long term starters.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
I think it would be hilarious if Colt really takes off this year and buts us in a Drew Beres/ Phillip Rivers situation.

Legend
Legend
That would be fine by me ..... but I just don't see McCoy as having that type of skills.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think it would be hilarious if Colt really takes off this year and buts us in a Drew Beres/ Phillip Rivers situation.

Unless Weeden gets hurt, I don't think theres any way anyone else sees the field this year.

Legend
Legend
Brandon Rideau
James Davis
Syndric Steptoe
Kendrick Mosley

Legend
Legend
Cameron was a 4th round pick.

If he contributes on offense at all, and helps on special teams, then he could be a fine pick. Most 4th rounders never become starters. They can still be decent picks. (and I didn't care for the pick when it was made)

Sometimes a 4th rounder contributes more than that ..... usually not. In the case of 4th round TEs, once in a while you find a starter ... but usually not. In the past 2 drafts, there's been 1 TE drafted in the 4th who has really contributed to his team.

TE in the 4th in 2010 were guys like:

Pats: Hernandez - 2 seasons, 1473 yards, 13 TD Great pick with a great QB who uses his TE a great deal.

Ravens: Pitta - 2 seasons, 406 yards, 3 TDs.

Texans: Graham - 2 seasons, 1 catch, 24 yards.

Eagles: Harbor - 2 seasons, 235 yards, 2 TDs

In 2011, they were guys like ......

Browns: Cameron - 6 catches for 33 yards.

Bucs: Stocker - 12 catches for 92 yards.

Broncos: Thomas - 1 catch for 5 yards.

What makes Cameron's expectations so much higher than any other TE?

Legend
Legend
I drank the CJ Jones Kool-aid.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Jordan Cameron is a raw talent that needs time to develop.

This is a test of the Browns coaching staff as much as a test of Cameron who had exactly one season playing TE in college.

He has good speed for a TE and might be considered a tweener between TE/WR. Hopefully the Browns can develop him into a productive, pass catching receiver.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wasn't reffering to the mobility at all, or saying anything negative.

I was saying that people were talking about RAC, and then they showed throws that RAC was literally impossible to have. So the question of RAC was still there.

Let me refresh... ytown made the statement that Wallace made a throw that Colt couldn't make.. part of that throw was that Little had the ability to RAC..

I looked up a couple videos where McCoy made pinpoint throws, while on the run but the situation dictated that RAC wasn't possible. I wasn't going to search for hours to find a video of a play EXACTLY like the one Wallace made but the two I found proved that McCoy could make a very deliberate, pinpoint throw, while under duress on the run... There are plenty of other throws on those videos that show nice throws with good RAC but they are all from the pocket....

Anyway, why are we arguing this? The QB competition in Cleveland right now isn't between Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace, it's between Brandon Weeden and Brandon Weeden... it's his to lose.

I hope the kid (and I use the term loosely) takes the reigns and never looks back and gets us where we all want to go.... then I hope at some point Colt McCoy gets to play a couple games and he goes all Matt Flynn on somebody and next year we can trade him for a high second round pick.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Since Kendall can't blame the FO for any early picks he goes on to the next closest "bust"....nothing new.....I wonder if Steelers fans bash their FO for "busted" 3rd to 5th rounders (plenty of them in recent drafts)

You never pick and compare a "bust" or any kind of player production in a vacuum...there's always a whole league to compare to....and most of the other 31 teams upgraded their roster too via draft/FA.....somehow that gets lost by the ranters

Oh, and Mr RantyRant....what was the name of the last rookie QB that produced at above AVG level (we're talking top 10-12 production, right?) again? and which part of "we wouldn't make the POs in 2012 no matter if ANY rook or McCoy was QBing for the Browns" didn't you get again?

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

what was the name of the last rookie QB that produced at above AVG level (we're talking top 10-12 production, right?)

top10 production goes to Cam Newton as a rookie just last year. yes, I am counting his rushing for that, but it's part of who he is. he had 21 passing TDs, 14 rushing TDs, and 17 INTs.

QBrating 15th
Yards 10th
YPA 10th
Passing TDs 11th (goes up to 5th including rushing TDs)

No, I don't expect Weeden to approach those numbers. And it'd be silly to suggest that he can do anything like Cam running the ball. But, you asked when the last rookie had top10-12 production. Well, the last time was last year.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Jordan Cameron is a raw talent that needs time to develop.

This is a test of the Browns coaching staff as much as a test of Cameron who had exactly one season playing TE in college.

He has good speed for a TE and might be considered a tweener between TE/WR. Hopefully the Browns can develop him into a productive, pass catching receiver.

I agree.

It's way too early to start questioning the move. If after this camp and it gets in to the season and the guy is a insignificant member, then we can start to question his worth.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
You can't even compare the Steelers to the Browns.
The Steelers can afford to take a flyer on guys in the mid RDs. They draft so good that have that luxury.
I have maintained all along we you are rebuilding like the Browns are,you cannot afford to take guys in a draft that are "projects"
how many snaps per game did Cameron get his senior season at USC?
he barely played football at USC,yet he is higher on the Browns draft board than guys like Sam Acho, K.J Wright and Denarius Moore who started for their schools?
Tight end was not a glaring issue for the Browns after 2010. Watson, Moore,Smith.
Good enough to go with that crew for another year.
The Browns were lacking speed at OLB and WR.
you know how you close the gap with the rest of the AFC North?
You draft guys in the mid RD's that provide immediate impact.
Jason Pinkston was a good draft pick
He struggled but he got better. thats what you look for.
Jordan Cameron was so useless last year,he couldn't even get 30 snaps on the field in the last few games of the season when the season was out of reach.
Marecic is a blown pick also. Smelly might just send him to the waiver wire.
Smelly was a better player at Bama anyhow than Marecic was at Stanford.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Cameron was on the field a lot at USC, so you're just ranting and guessing....he was used as a blocker a lot and USC didn't throw a lot to their TEs to begin with...I have a very positive tape review of him, if you want to read it, PM me (pay site)

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Weeden think he'll be ready to start right away

Link Copied to Clipboard