Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Browns rookie QB Brandon Weeden ready to start right away if called upon
Published: Thursday, May 03, 2012, 9:36 PM Updated: Friday, May 04, 2012, 9:17 AM
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer

View full size
PD file photo"I'm just really just champing at the bit to get to Cleveland," Browns rookie QB Brandon Weeden said Thursday, "and get going on learning this offense and meeting the guys around me and start working to win a lot of football games."
Related stories
•Check out Brandon Weeden on PD Insider
•Ward, Sheard helping local kids
•Ravens lose Suggs | More Browns/NFL
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Brandon Weeden knows he's on the fast track to be the Browns' starting quarterback, and it can't happen soon enough.

"I feel like I'm ready," Weeden told The Plain Dealer Thursday. "I have a long way to go, but I feel like I've taken the right steps to get to where I can play at that level.

"If I'm asked to be the guy Day One, I'm going to do everything on my part to put our team in position to win games and score points. I'm really anxious to get going and the season will be here before you know it."

Weeden, the No. 22 overall pick, said he's been inspired by the rookie quarterbacks who started last season.

"You see guys like Andy Dalton and Cam Newton and Christian Ponder that came in, these guys played relatively soon. That's what I mentioned to teams the entire time, that my maturity in baseball will help," he said. "There's going to be a learning curve. It's going to be a challenge, but I have a lot of faith in my ability to play football."

Weeden, who will attend rookie camp May 11-13, said he's been mostly insulated from the buzz his selection generated, including the impact on the status of Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace.

"I understand how that works," he said. "It's a business and there's a lot that goes into it, but honestly, I'm still in Oklahoma trying to get all my stuff together, so I'm not in Cleveland, which probably makes it a little bit different.

"Those are two great quarterbacks and they've had a lot of success at that level. It's kind of something you need, kind of relying on them, getting help from those guys. Like I said, I'm just really just champing at the bit to get to Cleveland and get going on learning this offense and meeting the guys around me and start working to win a lot of football games."

Weeden also knows he's been asked to elevate the play of the current crop of receivers. The Browns also drafted Miami speedster Travis Benjamin.

"It's all about the chemistry," said Weeden. "It's all about comfort, trusting the guys you're throwing it to and letting them make a play. That's going to take some time, working with these guys and getting a feel for what each guy can do.

"I look forward to us pushing each other and getting the most out of each other."

One of Weeden's Oklahoma State targets, Josh Cooper, is coming to Cleveland as an undrafted free agent. Weeden was driving in the car with Cooper Thursday when he did the phone interview. Cooper was Oklahoma State's second-leading receiver last season behind Justin Blackmon, with 71 catches for 715 yards and three TDs.

"We came in the same year and he's a guy that's made a lot of big-time plays for us at Oklahoma State," said Weeden. "Josh is actually going to live with me, so we'll be able to help each other learn this entire system and get through this entire process."

Weeden, who went 23-3 the past two seasons, said it won't be a problem going from the spread's shotgun attack to the West Coast scheme and operating under center.

"When I was at the Senior Bowl and I was under center, we ran the same exact offense as we run in Cleveland," he said. "I felt more comfortable under center than actually taking snaps in the shotgun.

"The biggest difference between the West Coast offense and what we did at Oklahoma State is the terminology. I don't think it will be a huge, huge, adjustment at all."

He also disputed critics who questioned his ability to throw under duress.

"You've just to get a feel for it," he said. "You have to stand in there and take a hit. If you throw a good ball and you take a shot to the chin, it's always a little more fun.

Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden on 'PD Sports Insider'

New Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden was a guest on 'PD Sports Insider' on Thursday, May 3rd.
Watch video
"To be the quarterback you've got to be a tough guy. You don't get to hit anybody, everybody just gets to hit you, so you've just got to take on that mentality."

Weeden said he appreciated working with former Browns offensive coordinator Marc Trestman for three days before the NFL combine and also meeting former Browns QB Bernie Kosar at the Senior Bowl.

"I've talked to [Kosar] from then on out," said Weeden. "Obviously he had a great career in Cleveland. When you get to this level you need guys like that to talk to and help get a feel for what you're about to go through."

For fans wanting to buy his jersey, he confirmed what everyone already knew.

"I'm letting the cat out of the bag," he said. "I was informed Friday I'll be wearing No. 3."

© 2012 cleveland.com. All rights reserved

Now see, This is a good man. He knows he was drafted in the first round, he knows he's probably got the inside track to start, yet he doesn't blow up his future teammates.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Legend
Legend
A
He's intelligent, as he's saying all the right things. Here's an example: "
"When I was at the Senior Bowl and I was under center, we ran the same exact offense as we run in Cleveland," he said. "I felt more comfortable under center than actually taking snaps in the shotgun. "

Right............

Time will tell. I have great hopes for him.

Legend
Legend
yep - he's said the right things... but you can say whatever you want... you gotta be able to play... time will tell.

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

yep - he's said the right things... but you can say whatever you want... you gotta be able to play... time will tell.

x2

I wish we didn't pick him, but he's a Cleveland Brown now. I would be more than ok eating some crow.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Hopefully he signs soon. He needs to be in there ASAP. Same with those linebackers and Schwartz that will probably see a lot of action early on. Trent probably doesn't need to be there early.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

x2

I wish we didn't pick him, but he's a Cleveland Brown now. I would be more than ok eating some crow.

I was thinking we'd pick him in the second.... but as a Brown I hope he can become at the very least a solid QB... something this franchise has not had since it returned....

<><

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Quote:

x2

x2

Legend
Legend
He freakin better be

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

He freakin better be

Or what???

I think the guy is going to be a pretty good QB, and by that I don't mean so-so....I mean the type of guy who nobody is in a hurry to get rid of, but not one of the 4-5 best in the league.

I agree with him. I think his age is going to speed up the process. I don't think it is going to take long for most to see we just drafted a pretty good QB.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Curiosity makes me ask this question, 'Peen...Why do you believe that his age will help him speed up the process?

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oooo Oooo Pick me Pick me

I think just living. Somethings just come from experience. Don't ya just sometimes wish you knew things when you were 18 - 20 yrs. old? That you knew now? Life goes by faster as you get older, I think because we don't take time to slow down and learn as many things as we did when we were young. Make sense? Good

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
H
2nd String
2nd String
H
Quote:

Oooo Oooo Pick me Pick me

I think just living. Somethings just come from experience. Don't ya just sometimes wish you knew things when you were 18 - 20 yrs. old? That you knew now? Life goes by faster as you get older, I think because we don't take time to slow down and learn as many things as we did when we were young. Make sense? Good

I know that I was much more willing to get hit by a big man when I was younger than I am now. Didn't feel pain nearly as much at 21 as I did at 29.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah, but why do you feel that way? Experience. That's what were talking about.
Not everybody likes or takes pain the sameway. But these guys have spent most of their lives playing with pain, You develop a tolerence. I'm sure he's fine, since he's been playing QB after age 28. He knows what he can take.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc..

Weeden's age is not and will not be an issue this year, next year or for the next 5 years.

Weeden at 29 years old should be more mature and able to handle the pressure that comes with being a rookie QB in the NFL.

Weeden's age should not be an issue until 35 and beyond. Generally, QBs are still very productive when they reach the 30 to 35 window and I see no reason that Weeden should not follow the same pattern, barring injury.

All this concern over Weeden's age "now", is unwarranted...relax folks. The Browns have the most mature rookie in the NFL and that, is a plus, not a minus.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Curiosity makes me ask this question, 'Peen...Why do you believe that his age will help him speed up the process?

You aren't a 21 year old. I think by this point in life you know there is a big difference in the way a 21 year old thinks and a 28 year old thinks.

At 21 years old, those guys haven't experienced life. They are still kids. At 28 you are nearing adulthood.....I've said you aren't really adult until you are around 30 years old.

His playing in the minor leagues is huge. That is a grind. 70 or so games away, on bus after bus. You learn something doing that. You learn some values.

He isn't going to be a green behind the ear kid who was just handed a few million bucks.

I read the guy had a 97MPH fastball, and signed for about 600K to sign out of HS.....he's been through the "new rich guy" phase.

No doubt there is still some learning curve, but he has a leg up. He doesn't have to learn to be a pro....he's already been one. The sports are different, but the thinking isn't all that different.

Oh, let me add....he has experienced failure. Obvioulsy he wanted to be a baseball player, or he and his family really needed the money....at any rate, baseball didn't work out as he had hoped. Maybe football won't either, but in that time I feel he has learned to deal with some adversity.

It can't help but help him. Life experiences add up......you know that my friend.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JC

I'm not sure being 29 is gonna make that big of a difference. Not with the QB position at least.

I am just finishing up school right now (master's degree and a coast guard license), and many of my license classes are with younger kids. Many of these kids don't have the same priorities as me, and the reason for this is probably my age.

But the very best of them, they have their act together. They are very motivated, driven, and focused. They take pride in what they do and want to perfect their craft. In some ways, they have an advantage over me in college because i've been getting burnt out and they're still fresh.

With Weeden, we have an adult. He will be professional and take the job professionally. But, I can't imagine Luck or RG3 will be any different. You don't get to their level without being that way. Although, I've heard differently about Mark Sanchez

So, I'm not so sure being 29 is going to be that helpful. May be having experienced pro-baseball will. Understanding what a pro atmosphere is like and handling yourself like a pro.

But, that doesnt mean I don't think Weeden will be good here. I think he'll do well. I'm excited for him. But that's based on his talent and thinking that him being 29 isn't going to hinder him. His career might be shorter, but I think he'll do well with us. 29, hasn't taken the amount of football hits a 29 year old has though. If he can somehow give us seven years, that's a huge success. Sounds fine to me.

So, I'm not as excited about his age, but I'm not that upset by it either

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 05/04/12 07:38 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

yep - he's said the right things

A pair of lips will say anything......I will wait til week 8 to decide how impressed I am.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This thread title makes my brain hurt.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C,

Can we all just get past the age thingy already. Think about it in another light.

He's your is a typical pocket passer and those QB's tend to be able to have more staying power in the League. If your a Mobil QB [McNabb] and you lose a step, then your losing what brought you to the big show in the first place. Follow?

Quote:

Weeden said he appreciated working with former Browns offensive coordinator Marc Trestman for three days before the NFL combine and also meeting former Browns QB Bernie Kosar at the Senior Bowl.

"I've talked to [Kosar] from then on out," said Weeden. "Obviously he had a great career in Cleveland. When you get to this level you need guys like that to talk to and help get a feel for what you're about to go through."

This part is telling in itself ... Sounds like the Big Dawg is on the Weeden Bus too.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Kosar did a radio interview, and he said that Weeden worked with Marc Tresman, who is a really close friend of Bernie's ...... and Tresman thinks that Weeden is going to be exceptional.

For whatever that's worth.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Kosar did a radio interview, and he said that Weeden worked with Marc Tresman, who is a really close friend of Bernie's ...... and Tresman thinks that Weeden is going to be exceptional.

It means a lot to me that two former Browns (player and Coach) where on board with this pick and Kosar early on in the process too.

[Linked Image]

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

He freakin better be

Or what???

Or we just blew pick #22 on a 28.5 year old qb that does not have the luxury of time to grow into the position.
It's boom or bust.
He certainly wasn't my first choice. I hope all of the hype is correct, this team needs stability at the QB position.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

This thread title makes my brain hurt.

Yeah I forgot the s at the end of think.. should be thinks..sorry

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Ah Brandon, ignorance is bliss.

Glad you are confident but you are delusional.

Just because Weeden is "mature" does not make him mature in the NFL. He is a rookie, coming from a spread offense. Not only will he have to learn the WCO (complicated language, coverage recognition, getting in and out of the huddle on time, playing under center). He will have to learn NFL defenses which is no easy task.

The Browns reached for Weeden in desperation to solve the position. I am quite sure they could have taken Riley Reiff and then Weeden at 37. People will argue about that but tell me who would have taken Weeden from pick 23 to 37?

The Browns motivation became driven by need for immediate results because of the lack of results the last two years.

Their decision to pass on Griffin and go the route they chose was made clearly to get results now.

Taking Richardson after losing out on Griffin was a no brainer. He is great back and will get immediate results.

Sorry, but I am not all warm and fussy about Weeden. I don't take anything away from what he accomplished at OK State but this guy is nothing special and I believe he will struggle with the NFL game.

E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
The Browns never passed on RGIII, we missed the boat on him. The Rams stipulation stated the team that made the "Best Offer" would get the pick and the Redskins made a better deal than the Browns and thus, won out, we didn't "pass" on RGIII, anything but.

We missed RGIII, then we missed on Kendall Wright (reportedly, the WR we wanted.) That was when we decided to change gears. Weeden was the best QB avaliable with Tannehill, RGIII and Luck already off the table. Yes, the team decided to make the aggressive play for Weeden.

13.6 PPG, that's what we averaged last year. H&H went out and brought in players to solidify an offense that barely averaged a TD and 2 Field Goals a game. Weeden needs to step in and make something happen, and will be highly scrutinized because of being a 1st round pick. Something needed to be done, and that was what decision they came to.

I am glad at least he has the self-confidence, something Colt seemed to lack with at times.

Legend
Legend

When you are in the drivers seat you make the decisions on how to drive.

The Browns were in the drivers seat to draft Griffin. We picked 4th the Redskins 6th. We had the 22 pick in the first to deal the Redskins did not.

If the best offer was in fact the deal? The Browns had to offer pick 22, 37, and next years number one to win. They had to know that the Redskins would offer, this years second rounder plus two successive firsts in year 2013, 2014.

They made the decision they would only go with pick 22 and next years number one. So in fact they passed. They decided that Richardson, Weeden, Schwartz was the better choice and would get more immediate results.

We will find out in a couple years who made the right decision.

Legend
Legend
We really have no clue whatsoever what really happened with the Browns, Rams, and Redskins ...... so we're taking talking points from Holmgren, and supposition by reporters and hacks and trying to form a complete and accurate picture. It will never happen. We'll almost certainly never know what really happened .... unless, of course, RG3 becomes either a massive superstar, or a massive bust ...... and 10 years from now someone involved writes a book about the whole incident.

I wanted RG3, but I think that the Browns recovered masterfully to get Richardson, Weeden, and Schwartz instead. I usually don't pay a whole lot of attention to the draft, but I found myself with more time this year, so I did look into more players this year than in the past. I have liked players in other drafts .... but as far as an overall draft, I like this one more than almost any other draft I can remember.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

It means a lot to me that two former Browns (player and Coach) where on board with this pick and Kosar early on in the process too.

And what would Kosar say? That he thinks the QB isn't going to be any good?

Has Kosar said anything negative about Couch, Frye, Quinn, Anderson, or McCoy?

This is the season of unbridled optimism.

As for Weeden being ready, he's not going to be any more ready than any other spread-option college QB, age be damned.

The real question is how far will he have to go once the season starts before he really IS ready.

I fully believe Weeden is going to have a very rough rookie season. I'm hoping that he shows enough moments of greatness to warrant him getting another full shot in his sophomore season.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And what would Kosar say? That he thinks the QB isn't going to be any good?

Has Kosar said anything negative about Couch, Frye, Quinn, Anderson, or McCoy?

This is the season of unbridled optimism.

As for Weeden being ready, he's not going to be any more ready than any other spread-option college QB, age be damned.

The real question is how far will he have to go once the season starts before he really IS ready.

I fully believe Weeden is going to have a very rough rookie season. I'm hoping that he shows enough moments of greatness to warrant him getting another full shot in his sophomore season.

You draft a guy 23 or 24 years old, you can take time to develop him. you take a guy who's gonna be 29 in Oct...and the Ramp up time has to be quicker for him. If he sits even one year, he's 30 years old

The good news is, nobody in the Browns is trying to sell us on Weeden being the QB for the next 10 years..

What Weeden needs to do is make us better now and in time, we'll find the ten year guy,,

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
I've been trying, in my own mind, to set the bar where Weeden needs to be in his first year to justify the pick. My first thought: he needs to be better than McCoy right away, or else why is he starting? Numerically, we need him to be in the 80's for his QB rating, and we need more than 4 wins. Failing that, he needs to at least pass the eyeball test in terms of showing promise and strongly suggesting that special things are to come in his sophomore year and beyond. Its a difficult situation, because just because he'll be 29 in October doesn't really have anything to do with his NFL QB age. I want to be fair, but I also need to be convinced that we have upgraded the position in 2012.

Legend
Legend

Your are right H&H will never tell because they are embarrassed by what happened.

Beaten once so not again. They made an aggressive move up to three to take Richardson. Which was a move they had to make and rightfully so.

If they had made an aggressive move for Griffin they could have pushed the Redskins out of the deal.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I think Dalton set the bar last year. If Weeden is there or thereabouts, notwithstanding supporting cast comparisons, then I'd be ecstatic.

D
Legend
Legend
D
20 TD passes, 80.4 QBR. I'm good with that being "the bar". I wouldn't expect any less from McCoy had we not drafted Weeden, just based on the added assets (Richardson, Schwartz, and a full-time OC).

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Your are right H&H will never tell because they are embarrassed by what happened.

Beaten once so not again. They made an aggressive move up to three to take Richardson. Which was a move they had to make and rightfully so.

If they had made an aggressive move for Griffin they could have pushed the Redskins out of the deal.

Three first rounds is aggressive... and honestly if we offered much more I would have been pissed... we have way too many holes to fill... even if RG3 becomes a superstar in Washington that doesn't mean he would have here since we wouldn't have had those other draft picks to put people around him.

either way, he's not a brown, and though I like the kid, if we ever play Washington I hope Taylor gets ahold of him a few times

I think Weeden will pick up the terminology pretty quickly. He seems like a smart kid and with his life experience I don't think stepping in and having to be the leader right away will bother him...

the thing I worry about will be coming out from center, getting in and out of huddles, and obviously learning NFL defenses.

I'm hoping for a decent year.... not Newton or Dalton good but certainly better than Ponder...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
To be fair ..... and time has given me a small amount of perspective on the non-trade, despite my disappointment ........ but anyway ..... to be fair, the Browns probably made an unprecedented offer to move from 4 to 2, and were outbid by an even bigger unprecedented offer.

When the season ended, who imagined the 2nd pick in the draft bringing 3 first round picks plus a second? I sure didn't.

Legend
Legend
I wonder what Indy would of had to pay to move up from #2 had STL ended up #1?

Would the fact that STL didn't need a QB at #1 have lowered the price?

What happens to RG3 then if everyone is bidding for Luck?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I suspect that teams would have been trading up for Luck ...... and that Indy either could have tried to trade up one spot, (which would then have allowed the Rams the same type of trade down opportunity they had anyway in addition to trading down one spot) or stayed put.

Imagine if the Rams could have traded from 1 to 2 for a pair of #1 picks ... then traded from 2 to 6 for the haul they got as well.

Legend
Legend
That's the thing, part of me believes RG3 got SO MUCH pre draft hype, was because (Barkley stayed in school) Luck was for sure going to Indy.

So if all the time spent on RG3, was spent on Luck, and with STL already getting something from Indy for Luck, that may drop the price for RG3, hell maybe STL decides to stay at 2 and take Kalil..

Obviously someones going to come along and say "it's over, it doesn't matter" or whatever...

And while I'm not "happy" with Weeden, I don't want to get ride of T-Rich.. So yeah...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Well .... with RG3, I am sure that he'll be a great QB ..... and with Weeden I am hopeful that he will reach that level. He has some of the abilities, but he doesn't have them all.

However, he will have Richardson and Schwartz, 2 things that RG3 will never have ..... so who knows? I am hopeful.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Well .... with RG3, I am sure that he'll be a great QB ..... and with Weeden I am hopeful that he will reach that level. He has some of the abilities, but he doesn't have them all.

However, he will have Richardson and Schwartz, 2 things that RG3 will never have ..... so who knows? I am hopeful.

Interesting. You're "sure" RG will be great. And you're "hopeful" that Weeden will be good with all the help "he's" gotten, i.e. Richardson and Schwartz.

Here's the bottom line: Weeden was a first round pick. You got your wish - you told us all how much better the Browns would be without Colt, and WITH a first round qb. You are NOW backing off that? Saying "I hope" Weeden will be good with a new line and a great running back.

Wow - you didn't give Colt that. I'll tell you, you've been the most outspoken person on this board in regards to blaming Colt last year for all the problems. You got your first round qb. He damn well better put points on the board! No excuses.

If he doesn't, you just lost any credibility you may have thought you had when it comes to football.

Yes, in a fun way, I'm calling you out.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Weeden think he'll be ready to start right away

Link Copied to Clipboard