Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Nice little video . . .

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8292429a/The-future-of-the-Cleveland-Browns

Nice, good little bit of PR work.

If our WR's can take that leap forward that we need, and if Weeden can have one of those Cinderella seasons that the more hyped rookie QB's of the last few years have had.... we're going to be Ok.
I think that with the addition of that RT we drafted, we can almost certainly say that we have just about the best damned OLine in the league, and now we (theoretically) have one of the best RB's.
Add in a couple of respectable TE's, and we just might actually have a complete offense.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
if a handoff is dropped then equal blame goes to the QB and RB. Richardson showed his character taking the blame, but it should go to both.

again, it's OTAs. it doesn't matter. they are all learning and have a few months to practice and get these little things down pat.

#gmstrong
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I had the same thought when I read that. I went back and reread the articles associated with the mini-camp and found nothing saying that he "struggled".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

We ruined the one good QB we had

we had a good QB? I must have blacked out that year?

Id' take a QB in his 3rd and 4th year threw for 5800 yards 35td's 38 ints and improved year over year (barring injury) and also managed to lead us to our last and only playoff appearance. in the past 17 years

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

This will all be a moot point, though, if Weeden continues to struggle taking snaps from under center, an issue in rookie minicamp.

I love national reporters .......

From the reports I read, the one time that Weeden "struggled" taking a snap from Center was when they changed from a right handed Center to a left handed Center .....

Other than that, the reports I read said that he worked almost exclusively under Center, and did fine.

Yep ..... love the national reporters .....

What's really funny is that both Weeden and Shurmur said they had a few rough spots along those lines, but nothing that practice can't fix (paraphrasing of course)

National reporters Visit the camp, see one bad exchange and think it's the norm. And then they report it as a "BIG" problem. And they do this because saying that everything is fine doesn't sell,,,,

What's worse is that some fans hear this,, and then they run with it. Oh lord,, that's when the fun really begins

I hope there is compitition for the Starters job. I want them to compete and I want a clear cut winner and I know you won't believe this, but I really don't care who it is.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Nice little video . . .

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8292429a/The-future-of-the-Cleveland-Browns

thanks for sharing that...

1) The guys look hungry. They are ready to help this offense.

2) What kind of watch does Weeden have on? I saw it and was like WHOAA!!! That's nice.

3) Richardson's facial expressions are those so full of confidence. He is determined to do well in the NFL. Reminds me a lot of Adrian Peterson in that regard.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We ruined the one good QB we had

we had a good QB? I must have blacked out that year?

Id' take a QB in his 3rd and 4th year threw for 5800 yards 35td's 38 ints and improved year over year (barring injury) and also managed to lead us to our last and only playoff appearance. in the past 17 years

2900yds 17.5TDs 19INTs - that is not 'good' QB play. it's marginally better than what we had last year (or worse considering the INT-rate - debateable at least)

Colt had 2700yds 14TDs 11INTs and we were ready to run him out of town.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Nice little video . . .

thanks for sharing that...

1) The guys look hungry. They are ready to help this offense.

2) What kind of watch does Weeden have on? I saw it and was like WHOAA!!! That's nice.

3) Richardson's facial expressions are those so full of confidence. He is determined to do well in the NFL. Reminds me a lot of Adrian Peterson in that regard.

Didn't notice the watch..

But I did notice the attitude of these two guys.. If that's any indication of what we will see this year from them, we are going to have some serious fun watching the Browns in 2012 and beyond.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It just takes reps. From what little i saw on both espn and nfl network, I thought the handoffs were rarely in the pocket but were often high into the chest or low into the thighs. This of course will work itself out.

Richardson is a small back and runs even lower so it will take Weeden some time to hit the pocket perfectly every time. Also Richardson has the quickest initial burst I have seen in a very long time and I doubt any of our QBs are used to having a guy take the ball with that much force and momentum.

Our staff does a pretty good job working on handoffs and play action fakes as well. So these things will correct itself with reps.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

hmmm I see hundreds more articles on Google about a quarterback competition not Butch handing over the job.

sup...Butch used his "gut feeling" to pick the starting QB...

Butch wanted everyone to believe he was having a QB competition, but in the end, Butch made the decision who would start based on his infamous "gut feeling". Call it what you want, doesn't really matter now...it was the beginning of the end, for Butch Davis in Cleveland.

Concerning Weeden...he needs to prove himself on the field to avoid a Shurmur "gut feeling".

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Concerning Weeden...he needs to prove himself on the field to avoid a Shurmur "gut feeling".

I swear,, All I want is a good solid competition and a VERY CLEAR CUT winner. No ifs, ands or buts.. I want one of them to step up and take control in such a fashion that there is no need for the coach to use a Gut Feeling.

And just so everyone knows, I really don't care who it is.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

From the reports I read, the one time that Weeden "struggled" taking a snap from Center was when they changed from a right handed Center to a left handed Center .....

yt...video I saw showed Mack and the OSU center being right handed.

Weeden not playing under center was a concern about Weeden leading up to the draft. Nothing that can't be fixed with practice though...it's just a matter of getting reps and practice under center.

Word of caution...taking snaps under center can be bad for the health of a QBs fingers if he does not have his hands spread open at the time of the snap...that ball comes back with some force behind it...enough force to break a finger if the QB is not paying attention to his hand placement.

The handoff issues with Richardson are also a matter of practice and reps between the center, QB and RB. Should not be a big deal once Mack, Weeden and Richardson develop some chemistry together.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Actually, I would love to see both Colt and Weeden just shred the opposition in camp and preseason and just make it the most difficult decision any of those guys have ever made.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Actually, I would love to see both Colt and Weeden just shred the opposition in camp and preseason and just make it the most difficult decision any of those guys have ever made.

IF that is how it played out, I would bet my left arm that Weeden wins the job. Personally, I feel it is his to lose (the starting job).

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend
It's not about the physicality of taking the ball from the center and dropping back..

It's about the mentality of being able to READ THE DEFENSE while all of this is happening...

THAT is why Spread QBs fail, not because they can't handle a snap, but because they can't read a defense...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I swear,, All I want is a good solid competition and a VERY CLEAR CUT winner. No ifs, ands or buts.. I want one of them to step up and take control in such a fashion that there is no need for the coach to use a Gut Feeling.

We've been wanting that since '99, and all we've had is one qb controversy after another. We drafted Weeden in the first round, meaning he's expected to be the starter. He's going to need every snap he can get to prepare for his starting role....and he'll either sink or swim. Splitting 1st team snaps with McCoy will only give us yet another controversy and take away from Weeden's development. I'm sick of arguing who should start at qb every week.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

yt...video I saw showed Mack and the OSU center being right handed.

Weeden not playing under center was a concern about Weeden leading up to the draft. Nothing that can't be fixed with practice though...it's just a matter of getting reps and practice under center.

Word of caution...taking snaps under center can be bad for the health of a QBs fingers if he does not have his hands spread open at the time of the snap...that ball comes back with some force behind it...enough force to break a finger if the QB is not paying attention to his hand placement.

The handoff issues with Richardson are also a matter of practice and reps between the center, QB and RB. Should not be a big deal once Mack, Weeden and Richardson develop some chemistry together.

There were 2 Centers in camp. One of them is right handed, one is left handed. When they changed Centers, Weeden had an issue with the snap.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2012/05/11/weeden-richardson-pass-eye-test-on-day-one/

“I feel really comfortable under center,” Weeden said. “Every center is different. We’ve got (Garth) Gerhart, he is a lefty, and we’ve got (Jarrod) Shaw and he is a righty. That is a little bit different, but it’s just a feel thing, a comfort thing. When (Alex) Mack gets here, and I start to take snaps from him, it’s going to be different. It’s getting comfortable.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I agree with jf, especially since we didn't upgrade the WR position. I don't think it's more than wishful thinking that the end result can be much better with colt this year than it was the last without improving his targets. Let's see what weeden can do.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I think that with the addition of that RT we drafted, we can almost certainly say that we have just about the best damned OLine in the league, and now we (theoretically) have one of the best RB's.

Boy, is that reassuring...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think they have to get more agressive on offense and they have to get the Wr's to win the battle at the line of scrimmage.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

We've been wanting that since '99, and all we've had is one qb controversy after another. We drafted Weeden in the first round, meaning he's expected to be the starter. He's going to need every snap he can get to prepare for his starting role....and he'll either sink or swim. Splitting 1st team snaps with McCoy will only give us yet another controversy and take away from Weeden's development. I'm sick of arguing who should start at qb every week.

So, basically, you don't want a competition, you want the job handed to Weeden..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I hope there is compitition for the Starters job. I want them to compete and I want a clear cut winner and I know you won't believe this, but I really don't care who it is.

has there ever been a clear cut winner in Cleveland when it comes to QB competition?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

There were 2 Centers in camp. One of them is right handed, one is left handed. When they changed Centers, Weeden had an issue with the snap.

yt...didn't see that...for Weeden, that has to be tough and slightly risky, taking snaps under center, with one center snapping left handed and the other snapping right handed. As I said, QBs have been known to get their fingers broken taking the snap from center..hope the Browns coaches are being careful with Weeden's fingers...don't need a stupid training accident knocking out our QB.

Garth Gerhart, the lefty from Ariz...he's the younger brother of RB Toby Gerhart of the Vikings. Don't know if he has a legit shot at making the team...he was the rated as the 6 or 7th best center coming out of college. I would think being left handed is not a plus for a center.

Last edited by mac; 05/18/12 08:03 AM.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

has there ever been a clear cut winner in Cleveland when it comes to QB competition?

No, but isn't about time

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
1st String
1st String
C
umm...so where's that video showing Mack in the ROOKIE camp again?

Legend
Legend
I think most are thinking weeden will look good bc of his arm strength, but I think Colt will still look good.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
IMO, the coaches will talk about a competition, but Weeden is going to be our starter. We didn't sit Taylor or Sheard much last year. This organization believes in getting our rookies in early and getting their growing pains out of the way. Now, those other guys were DL and Weeden is a QB, but I think the philosophy is clear.

I think the coaching staff is going to want to avoid any possibility that both McCoy shines and Weeden struggles, if only because he's a rookie and McCoy has a little experience. I think this organization is going to hitch itself to Weeden and roll with the punches. Let's face it, Weeden's going to struggle for a while, just like any rookie.

Weeden is our starter this year. JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I just realized that we are going into the season with our projected starter as a 1st rd QB, drafted in the early 20's, who isn't signed yet, last year's starter a scrappy third round pick who played most of the year, and a practice squad guy with potential that we snagged from another team.

Haven't we done this before?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I just realized that we are going into the season with our projected starter as a 1st rd QB, drafted in the early 20's, who isn't signed yet, last year's starter a scrappy third round pick who played most of the year, and a practice squad guy with potential that we snagged from another team.

Haven't we done this before?

The difference is, we won't start the practice squad guy this time.

Legend
Legend
The funny thing to me about competition is there is training camp and then preseason. Even if a qb does extremely well, we as fans will say it's not enough.

They will say in camp that our secondary is suspect or not playing 100% or in preseason will say the same including comments like it was against 3rd string guys. To me,ultimately u select ur starter on a gut feeling, and I think that is what will happen here this season.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think most are thinking weeden will look good bc of his arm strength, but I think Colt will still look good.

I honestly don't know how it will play out for sure. I suspect that it's etched in stone however that weeden is the man. I'm fine with that. and maybe that's just the way it should be.

But I don't want Shurmur or Holmgren or Heckert calling it a competition then. Just tell us the truth.., deal is done, Weeden is the guy,, colt will be gone or backup or whatever.

I'd actually be ok with that as well.

I just want a winner.. don't know how many times I've said it, but if they think the best guy for the job is Joe Fabeets from Parma who's 89 years old,,, great. let's get it done already...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

but if they think the best guy for the job is Joe Fabeets from Parma who's 89 years old,,, great. let's get it done already...

I would be tempted to buy a Fabeets jersey.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The real competition will be for those 6 receiver spots, TE and weakside backer.

I hope there is competition for RDE, free safety and quarterback.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

but if they think the best guy for the job is Joe Fabeets from Parma who's 89 years old,,, great. let's get it done already...

I would be tempted to buy a Fabeets jersey.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't see much of a comp at WR....Little, Benjamin, Cribbs are/should be safe and it looks like Massa will get at least the same shot they gave Robo last season, so that's 4...then we're down to Norwood/Mitchell and all UDFAs for no5...don't think we'll keep 6 WR this time around, it's possible though....last year we had to since nobody really emerged and had to find out about some of the young guys and weren't willing to give up yet on Robo, Mitchell, who were "dead" roster spots since they didn't contribute much, so we had to include a guy like Norwood, who at least was servicable....the last roster spot on Offense will come down to either the 4th RB (Obi? A.Thomas?), 4th TE/2ndFB (if we keep both A.Smith and Smelley, doubt it though) or 6th WR....last season they kept 6 WRs, it's wide open though

or maybe we'll carry and extra LB until Fujita comes back, going 24-26 in Offense-Defense players...it'll come down to ST contribution

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Shurmur likes using the multiple receiver packages that keeps these guys fresh. That is why I believe we will carry 6 receivers and maybe 1 or 2 more on the practice squad.

TE I see as tricky. Moore and Watson are our top guys but Watson had 3 concussions last year and Moore had at least 2. I could see this position shaken up a bit.

Same with Marecic as he had I believe 3 concussions last year. I think we could see position filled with Smith and Smelly.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think Norwood showed some value last year as a slot guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he's "safe".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Greg Little is the only receiver with any real job security at this point. 10 guys fighting for 4 or 5 spots.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Norwood showed some value last year as a slot guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he's "safe".

yea.. but now that we have Benjamin I'm not so sure of that anymore... I think it's possible he is still on the bubble, and will be duking it out w/ our UDFA's

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

TE I see as tricky. Moore and Watson are our top guys but Watson had 3 concussions last year and Moore had at least 2. I could see this position shaken up a bit.

Browns expect big improvement from Jordan Cameron

Mon, 14 May 2012 22:55:52 -0700

Cleveland Browns head coach Pat Shurmur said Monday, May 14, that he expects TE Jordan Cameron to take a big step forward this season. "The guy that looks way different is Jordan Cameron. Oh, gosh - the size - and he's had a great offseason. He's a guy that hadn't played much football, so I think he'll make a big improvement this year," Shurmur said.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns rookie minicamp and OTAs

Link Copied to Clipboard