Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Beal measures at 6'4 1/4 with 6'8 wingspan at combine.

I hope T.Robinson measures and plays very well the next month. I really want Charlotte or Washington to grab him. MKG or Beal is just fine by me

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Robinson measured at 6'9

Andre Drummond measured in at 6'11 and 3/4" with a 7'6" wingspan.

J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
Quote:

Robinson measured at 6'9

Andre Drummond measured in at 6'11 and 3/4" with a 7'6" wingspan.

I think we can all agree that the Cavs are not going to win a championship anytime soon unless they take a chance...anyone they take at 4 is going to have some sort of risk. Drummond is a physical freak that out runs, out jumps everyone on the floor and then look at his measurables.

Who cares about his offensive skills at this point in his career (I will get to this later)...two things that he does have that are waaaaay above average than other bigs, not only in this draft, but also in the league are his hands and feet. Drummond does have great hands and his feet (footwork, athleticism, agility) for a big are off the charts.

My buddy made a good point last night that how many UConn guys get to the league and thrive...Gordon, Rip, C Butler, R Gay, etc because of the way their program is structured at Conn...Remember, Drummond really has not been coached (1 and done at UConn).

Back to the point about offensive skills...you can teach those. You can teach post moves, you can teach how to shoot. Look at guys like Garnett, Webber, and R Wallace...they NEVER attempted jumpers in college or their first couple years in the league, but by the end of their careers, they were "shooters". You can't teach the freakishness intangibles that Drummond has size, speed, and athleticism (running and jumping).

It should be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks to see how his individual workouts go. I am starting to even think that he may not even be on the board at 4 if he kills it in individual/private workouts.

JE159 #695016 06/08/12 12:35 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Drummond is a physical freak that out runs, out jumps everyone on the floor and then look at his measurables.

and doesn't know how to play basketball, doesn't have the toughness to go inside and get rebounds (against college kids) and shoots 25% from the FT-line (and didn't shoot midrange shots for UConn, so I suspect he isn't good at those either).

other than his measurables, I fail to see his appeal. and, we mocked Al Davis for drafting on measurables only, no? I see no reason to not mock it in basketball.

#gmstrong
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
Posted on another forum:

Other measurements of intrest: (all w/ shoes)
Drummond: 6'11.75'', 7'6.25'' wing, 9'1.5'' reach.
TRob: 6'8.75'', 7'3.25'' wing, 8'10'' reach.
MKG: 6'7.5'', 7'0'' wing, 8'8.5'' reach.
Sullinger: 6'9'', 7'1.25'' wing, 8'9.5'' reach.
PJ3: 6'11.5'', 7'1.75'' wing, 8'10.5'' reach.
Lamb: 6'5.25'', 6'11'' wing, 8'5'' reach.
Barnes: 6'8'', 6'11.25'' wing, 8'6'' reach.

JE159 #695018 06/08/12 01:08 PM
Legend
Legend
Quincy Acy is going to be a very good role player off the bench in the NBA.

Perry Jones at almost 7'0" is insane considering his skill set.

Bradley Beal height concerns can be put to rest. He's 1/2 an inch from being 6'5"

J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
Quote:

Quote:

Drummond is a physical freak that out runs, out jumps everyone on the floor and then look at his measurables.

and doesn't know how to play basketball, doesn't have the toughness to go inside and get rebounds (against college kids) and shoots 25% from the FT-line (and didn't shoot midrange shots for UConn, so I suspect he isn't good at those either).

other than his measurables, I fail to see his appeal. and, we mocked Al Davis for drafting on measurables only, no? I see no reason to not mock it in basketball.

Measurables in basketball are more directly correlated to performance than they are in football. Wingspan is easy to translate...look at Scottie Pippen, he came from a small school and was overlooked, but had measurables that were crazy and he turned out to be not that bad. Bench press, 40 times, vertical and broad jumps (all done without pads on mind you) do not directly translate as nicely when looking at football players. Measurables in basketball help determine ceilings and potential player development.

I'm not saying Drummond will develop into the shooter that KG, C Webber, and R Wallace were, but he doesn't need to...Because of his measurables, he will be playing 10 feet and in...like a TRUE 5-man should (KG, Webber and Wallace were more 4's than 5's).

What are the two most important positions in today's basketball game?? I believe PG and C...last time I checked, we have a pretty legit PG. How is Boston able to compete with Miami...cuz Rondo is killing it at the point and KG is defending the rim. When KG subs out, watch how Miami attacks the basket with no fear...they have the last 4 games that I have actually paid attention to that detail.

I'm not saying that Drummond is a lock to be great, he will need a lot of leadership, but I do think Kyrie, Varejao and Byron Scott can give that to him in a good cop/bad cop way. If he ends up busting like Kwame Brown he busts...but if ends up reaching his potential of a D Howard/Amare type of playing...us CLEVELAND fans will be smashing our own beer bottles over our heads yelling, "why didn't we take this guy??!"

JE159 #695020 06/08/12 04:39 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
go check out Pippen's stats at Arkie State. he was a 20pt efficient scorer that filled up all the stat-columns. that's a terrible example to use to say that Drummond will be good.

I understand that wingspan and the measurables are important. perhaps more important than football only because the game is more individual oriented. however, you still have to have the desire and the skills to get the job done. Drummond had a terrible rebounding rate for someone that had such a physical advantage over everyone he played against. he won't have it in the NBA, so I am not sure why to expect him to be better. maybe a 20% chance of eventually developing into Bynum is not good enough for me (in this draft - i would have taken him #4 in last year's draft over TT).

#gmstrong
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
The Pippen comment was just off of the top of my head (because I knew he was/is long and athletic) and thank you for bringing to my attention his stats...but I do believe basketball, more so than football, is the one sport that God given natural talent and physical makeup can lead to a superior advantage on the court.

I grew up in the era where HS kids were getting picked left and right at the top of the draft due to how good they could potentially become and that is how I'm looking at this draft. With this being a very important draft for Cleveland AND us picking at 4...who do we take then?? Besides Davis, do you draft highest ceiling or safer pick/lower ceiling?? What project player that will no doubt have question marks surrounding them, do we take (if we stay at 4 that is)?

With the Browns draft at 4...it was pretty much T Rich/Blackmon/Claiborne. This draft...soooo many ways we could go...basically EVERYONE besides Davis could be around at pick #4, I just can't wait! Why aren't we talking about Lamb at 4? How about Perry Jones freakish measurables...I'd love to draft him to play the 3 (but not with pick #4...trade down??). T Robinson or Barnes or Drummond or MKG or Beal??

JE159 #695022 06/08/12 05:52 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
I am talking about J.Lamb at #4 and we have been on this board. He is the type of guy that has the freakish measurables that add to his numbers (rather than just the measurables).

here's my "cavs board" for the draft:

1. A.Davis
2. MKG
3. Beal
4. J.Lamb / Barnes (have flipped and flopped them so many times, that I just have them tied now)
6. T.Robinson

After that, I think the talent really drops off. I do think that if we trade down with Portland that J.Lamb or Barnes will likely be there and that's the pick I would love (#4+#24 for #6+#11).

#gmstrong
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
I also like the option of trading for 6 and 11...who would you take at 11 then if we took Lamb/Barnes at 6?

And, if there is a way to keep 24 also, would love to do that

JE159 #695024 06/08/12 06:03 PM
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
I like Zeller at 11 if we decide to go that route...I also like what I have seen/read about PJ3 also at 11...at that point of the draft, might be worth it to take a gamble?

JE159 #695025 06/08/12 06:13 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I like Zeller at 11 if we decide to go that route...I also like what I have seen/read about PJ3 also at 11...at that point of the draft, might be worth it to take a gamble?

yeah, if we get J.Lamb or Barnes at #6, then I wouldn't mind taking the PJIII gamble at #11 (if he's still there). I don't like him being the "only" guy we get out of this draft, but if we can get 2 lottery picks, then I he's worth the risk to me.

Tyler Zeller would be next on my draft board, so he's definitely up there too. He's better than people give him credit for being (though his ceiling is admittedly not as high as some of the others)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
http://www.cavstheblog.com/?p=10833

Hornets Shopping Tenth Pick
June 6th, 2012 by Colin McGowan

From Shaun Powell:

Hornets will entertain offers for 10th pick if someone also agrees to take Ariza or Okafor contracts.

I mention this only because the Cavs have a bunch of cap space and could conceivably absorb one or both of those contracts. Okafor will make $28 mil over the next two seasons, and Ariza (who has a player option for the 2013-14 season) is owed $7.2 mil next season and $7.7 mil in 2013-14. I haven’t heard anything as far as the Cavs being in talks with the Hornets, but I thought I’d make you guys aware.

Something to keep in mind: I’m not sure exactly what the cap is going to do this offseason, but the Cavs will likely need to have about $50 mil committed to player salaries to hit the mandatory salary floor (else they’ll have to distribute the extra money evenly amongst their roster), and as it stands (per this article, which I think is accurate) they have $31.5 mil tied up at this very moment, without having signed any rookies, picked up or terminated Daniel Gibson’s team option, or dealt with the proposition of re-signing Alonzo Gee.

S
Legend
Legend
S
would def entertain the idea of taking Ariza's contract

J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
What would we have to give up if we wanted 10 and Ariza's contract??

JE159 #695029 06/08/12 08:38 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Depends on how bad they want to get rid of Trevor Ariza.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I'd take Trever Ariza. My only concern is that he'd be a malcontent, considering he didn't sign here in 2009 (or maybe it was 08?) because he didn't want to get stuck on a Lebron-less Cavs team.

Legend
Legend
Can't the Hornets drop one of those contracts via amnesty?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Can't the Hornets drop one of those contracts via amnesty?

still have to pay it though. and even if they are willing to do that, then they still have to get rid of the other one (if that's the goal).

gladly take Ariza. he's overpaid but we're well under the cap and will be for a few years. for the #10 (guessing move up from #24) it'd be worth it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Maybe we could trade our 2 second rounders for the 10 and the contract.

That would give us 4, 10, and 24. That could be nice.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
Quote:

Maybe we could trade our 2 second rounders for the 10 and the contract.

That would give us 4, 10, and 24. That could be nice.

That would be killer!!

Speaking of trading...my buddy and I got into talking about who would you want to slip to the mid-to-late teens for us to trade up from 24?? If somehow MKG slips to us at 4 and/or we take Barnes at 4...If Jeremy Lamb slips to that 15-16 range, I'd love to grab him. He would be definitely a 2 guard I wouldn't mind taking a chance on with his potential and length. I think he would fit in perfectly with Barnes or MKG if we took either at 4 and KI. That would be a starting line-up of KI, Lamb, Barnes/MKG, TT, and AV.

I don't know what it would take to move up 8 spots...I'd like to keep one of the 2nd rounders this year to grab a PF/C or another SG (Gibson's got to go) like DJO/D Lamb.

From Roto: http://rotoworld.com/playernews/nba/basketball/

Quote:

The Trail Blazers were one of "many teams" who were disappointed with Connecticut SG Jeremy Lamb's pre-draft workouts.

Lamb acknowledged that teams want to see his "motor" and whether he can stand up to NBA contact, and he didn't help himself by failing to shoot well during drills. Another strike against him for Portland came during a media interview -- when asked whether he knew "anything about" the Blazers, he struggled to name LaMarcus Aldridge, then said he knew of "the light-skinned dude," who turned out to be Nicolas Batum.

This might cause him to slip some...

JE159 #695035 06/12/12 03:26 PM
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
Alright men, the NBA Draft Combine is complete and the dust has settled. The only thing between here and the draft are private workouts and interviews which teams obviously don't disclose who they like/dislike and why. Therefore, this is my mock (pending no trades) based on a function of player value and team need - brief explanations provided. I stopped at 24 because we all know how volatile the draft becomes at that point and that is the second of the Cavs top two picks (although I think what makes the most rationale sense for the Cavs with their currert picks and future resources is to trade up - I've outlined the principals in a number of potential trades below with most likely teams to be willing to move based on their needs and the number and position of their picks).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOH 1. ADavis PF no question and trading down not an option to NOH
CHA 2. ADrummond PF/C highest upside and MJ always has an f-you in him and he has nada to lose at this point
WAS 3. TRobinson PF size, frame, athleticism, elite numbers at elite level (bonus, makes ABlatche expendable)
CLE 4. MKG SF you can find a shooter later or in FA but warriors are rare
SAC 5. HBarnes SF despite critics, 6'8", skilled and can score (17ppg at UNC) (not HNIC but will be good pro)
POR 6. DLillard PG better than RFelton today, all signs point positive with this kid and can flat out stroke
GSW 7. BBeal SG mini Jesus Shuttlesworth with thrive as a second fiddle, ideal pairing with SCurry
TOR 8. JSullinger PF JConlangelo loves skills and Sully will surprise the masses with his NBA range
DET 9. JHenson PF ideal compliment to best player GMonroe (think similiar to OL insurance for franchise QB)
NOH 10. ARivers SG/PG elite NBA quicks, handle. Great pairing, moxie and HNIC compliment to humble ADavis
POR 11. MLeonard C default C pick. Only options ADrummond, MLeonard, FMelo - teams will reach, no question
MIL 12. TJones PF too much talent to fall past here, fell bc between MBeasley and LOdom
PHX 13. JLamb SG PHX loves humble, smart and classy guys and desparately needs a true two shooter
HOU 14. TRoss SG HOU loves value and he has all the tools and size, awful situation in WASH with Wooten
PHI 15. AMoultrie PF backcourt/wings are set, EBrand is strictly a leader at this point, need upgrade at 4
HOU 16. RWhite SF/PF HOU loves value was stated right, another above avg piece and pick for DMorey
DAL 17. MHarkless SF youth and athleticism is what they need, Matrix 2.0 and makes him expendable
MIN 18. DWaiters SG has playground game and can get baskets, too much talent to continue to slide
ORL 19. PJones SF/PF ORL needs risk/reward their contracts/roster past DHoward is awful, only 13ppg in college
DEN 20. FMelo C great young talent/contracts 1-4, no NENE, ok, welcome fellow Brazilian FMelo
BOS 21. ANicholson PF local product and need young depth up front to play ton reg season min for KG next 2 years
BOS 22. QMiller SF too much talen to pass, lotto next year, ease into Pierce role, again play reg season min
ATL 23. JTaylor SF ATL absolutely has to find a SF so they can play MWilliams less minutes
CLE 24. DLamb SG guy who can defend and doesn't need ball which is ideal to maximize Kyrie

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLE possible trade partners: (principals)

1. POR 6, 11, 40, 41 (6 and 11 for 4 and 24)
2. NOH 1, 10 (10 for 24 and a future 1st)
3. HOU 14, 16 (16 for 24 and a future 1st)
4. GSW 7, 30, 35, 52 (Brandon Rush and 7 for 4)
5. DAL 17, 55 (17 for 24 and 34)
6. ORL 19 (19 for 24 and 34)
7. DEN 20, 38, 50 (20 for 24 and 34)

Reminder: I've outlined the principals in a number of potential trades below with most likely teams to be willing to move based on their needs and the number and position of their picks and where we would like to move to in draft.

JE159 #695036 06/12/12 05:49 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
lots of effort put in and we never know how it will play out. these are the spots I would find most surprising:

Tyler Zeller not getting selected top24?
Beal dropping past Portland (who picks Lillard)
Sullinger going top10
Perry Jones getting past Houston twice

#gmstrong
JE159 #695037 06/12/12 10:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

A lot of people like this scenario. I am not sold that it is a good idea. Let's say we drop down to 6 and the following players are taken in the 1st 5 picks - Davis, MKG, Beal, TRobinson, Barnes. Who do you take at 6? Drummond? Ugh. I think that there is a huge drop off after those 5. Who at 10 is that much of an upgrade than the guy we would get at 24?

In those scenarios that we trade up from 24, who would the Cavs be targeting?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #695038 06/13/12 08:48 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

A lot of people like this scenario. I am not sold that it is a good idea. Let's say we drop down to 6 and the following players are taken in the 1st 5 picks - Davis, MKG, Beal, TRobinson, Barnes. Who do you take at 6? Drummond? Ugh. I think that there is a huge drop off after those 5. Who at 10 is that much of an upgrade than the guy we would get at 24?

In those scenarios that we trade up from 24, who would the Cavs be targeting?

I personally would take Jeremy Lamb and be quite happy at #6.

At #11, there are a multitude of guys available, who will likely be gone at #24 that could be huge upgrades:

Bigs:
T.Zeller
M.Leonard
Moultrie

Wings:
T.Ross
D.Waiters
M.Harkless

Swing for the fences pick:
PJIII

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cavs offered 4 picks to try to get Davis.

Offered 4, 24, 33, 34.

Link

N
Legend
Legend
N
how could the Nets not immediately fire their GM? and, since they didn't, how could they not now that it's played out exactly as most thought it would?

Quote:

And Wallace on Wednesday confirmed to the Charlotte Observer‘s Rick Bonnell that he will decline his $9.5 million player option for next season, meaning the Nets, on the surface, dealt a fairly high lottery pick to have Wallace play two months on a team that probably should have just tanked

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
man, to be a fly on the wall:

Quote:

North Carolina small forward Harrison Barnes and Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal will face off in a workout for the Cavaliers on Saturday, according to sources. Cleveland is known to have interest in both players with the No. 4 pick

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/wr...l#ixzz1xtX5KDeY

#gmstrong
J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
Something a friend of mine sent to me and thought it would be fun to look at. He took the average pick of 5 top mock drafts (ESPN, SI, DraftExpress, NBADraft.net, and Hoopsworld) and created this chart. Just thought it would be fun to look at.

Player, Position, Age, Height, Weight Average Range

1 Anthony Davis PF,19 years old; 6'10"; 222 lbs 1.0 1-1
2 Thomas Robinson PF, 21 years old; 6'9"; 244 lbs 2.8 2-5
3 M. Kidd-Gilchrist SF,18 years old; 6'7"; 233 lbs 3.6 3-5
4 Bradley Beal SG,18 years old; 6'5"; 202 lbs 4.2 2-5
5 Harrison Barnes SF, 20 years old; 6'8"; 228 lbs 4.4 4-5
6 Andre Drummond C, 18 years old; 7'0"; 279 lbs 5.2 2-6
7 Damian Lillard PG, 21 years old; 6'3"; 189 lbs 8.4 6-10
8 Jeremy Lamb SG, 20 years old; 6'5"; 179 lbs 9.4 8-13
9 Jared Sullinger C, 20 years old; 6'9"; 268 lbs 10.0 7-14
10 Meyers Leonard C, 20 years old; 7'1"; 250 lbs 11.2 9-14
11 Dion Waiters SG, 20 years old; 6'4"; 221 lbs 11.4 11-13
12 Terrence Jones PF, 20 years old; 6'9"; 252 lbs 13.0 7-17
13 John Henson PF, 21 years old; 6'10"; 216 lbs 13.6 9-18
14 Austin Rivers SG, 19 years old; 6'5"; 203 lbs 13.8 13-15
15 Tyler Zeller C, 22 years old; 7'0"; 247 lbs 14.4 9-19
16 Kendall Marshall PG, 20 years old; 6'4"; 198 lbs 15.6 11-19
17 Terrence Ross SF, 21 years old; 6'7"; 197 lbs 16.2 10-21
18 Perry Jones PF, 20 years old; 6'11"; 234 lbs 16.4 12-21
19 Arnett Moultrie PF/C, 21 years old; 6'11"; 233 lbs 17.4 15-19
20 Moe Harkless SF, 19 years old; 6'9"; 207 lbs 20.6 18-22
21 Marquis Teague PG, 19 years old; 6'2"; 180 lbs 22.2 16-25
22 Fab Melo C, 21 years old; 7'0"; 255 lbs 22.8 21-26
23 Andrew Nicholson PF, 22 years old; 6'9"; 234 lbs 22.8 21-24
24 Royce White PF, 21 years old; 6'8"; 261 lbs 25.6 23-31
25 Will Barton SG, 21 years old, 6’6”; 174 lbs 26.6 18-33
26 Quincy Miller SF, 19 years old; 6'10"; 219 lbs 28.2 20-35
27 Jeff Taylor SF, 23 years old; 6'7"; 213 lbs 29.4 23-35
28 Draymond Green PF, 22 years old; 6'7"; 236 lbs 29.4 27-33
29 Evan Fournier SG/SF, 19 years old; 6'7"; 204 lbs 29.8 26-36
30 Doran Lamb SG, 20 years old; 6’4”; 200 lbs 31.2 25-35

Next 3

31 Festus Ezeli C, 22 years old; 6’11”; 265 lbs 34.2 27-43
32 Tyshawn Taylor PG, 22 years old; 6'4"; 177 lbs
33 John Jenkins SG 22 years old; 6’4”; 212 lbs

Note: Naturally not all the same 30 players were in each top 30 and two of the five mock drafts only went to 30 not 60. Therefore I assigned a value of 35 in those few cases.

The most drastic (and really only # significant to skew an average) single outlier was 18 for Will Barton. His other 4 were in 23-33 range.

JE159 #695043 06/18/12 01:22 AM
Legend
Legend
Take this for what it's worth

I have a buddy that's one of the top insiders on Inside Carolina, and he's heard directly from a source that's in with the Barnes party that Charlotte has told Barnes they really like him and that he is one of two players they're considering at #2 along with Thomas Robinson. But there's a smoke screen going around the league right now that Bradley Beal is also being considered at #2 just too see if they can get anyone too move up in order to acquire Beal.

N
Legend
Legend
N
which could all be a smokescreen because the player they really want is MKG?

regardless of connections, this time of year teams use those guys to spread the word that they want spread around.

i'm pretty happy with the Cavs at #4. we're going to get a solid piece for our corps.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm feelin pretty good about it too, my concern is shifted to #24, I really want to see if we can get a good find there.

The good thing is, with four picks, the Cavs should come away with a center at some point. They aren't going anywhere until they get a center.

If they don't then they're gonna tank another year to load up.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I would love for them to find some way of trading up to #10/11 to get Tyler Zeller. The dropoff from him to Melo/Ezeli is huge.

I just don't see many ways to do it unless either the Blazers/Hornets like AV (which they might). hate to lose him but #24+AV to me is worth locking in a young center at cheap rates for the next 6-8 years.

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I would love for them to find some way of trading up to #10/11 to get Tyler Zeller. The dropoff from him to Melo/Ezeli is huge.

I just don't see many ways to do it unless either the Blazers/Hornets like AV (which they might). hate to lose him but #24+AV to me is worth locking in a young center at cheap rates for the next 6-8 years.

I was hoping the Cavs would have a chance at Fab Melo at 24. I think Fab can turn into a quality defensive center when fed by a great PG can put in easy buckets. At this point though I doubt he makes it 24.

At 4 the Cavs are guaranteed either MKG, Beal, or Barnes, so no worries. Drummond i guess could be in the mix but I doubt it.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Loki #695048 06/18/12 09:55 AM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I was hoping the Cavs would have a chance at Fab Melo at 24. I think Fab can turn into a quality defensive center when fed by a great PG can put in easy buckets. At this point though I doubt he makes it 24.

that's a fair assessment of Fab, which is why I want Zeller. I think Zeller can also be a quality defensive center (he puts in the effort and has good footwork though he needs to add some strength), but he also can score.

the hard part is evaluating Fab's rebounding rate because of the 2-3 zone which adds more variability into it (so, I'm more willing to forgive Melo for his somewhat poor rebounding rate than I would have been had he played for a man-2-man team).

I could definitely see Melo getting drafted before #24 (Boston has a need and 2 picks), but there's a chance that other teams value some of the other centers more too (Leonard, Moultrie could play C, then Drummond/Zeller will most definitely go earlier).

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Yeah basically what I was hoping was that Kyrie and our new shiny #4 pick (Beal or Barnes or MKG) would be dropping in the buckets while at 24 Fab and Varejao would protect the paint.I'm sure Grant will do a great job no matter what. Me personally I think i like Barnes more than I like Beal but its close.

Can't wait for the draft. I live in New Orleans and man people are excited about A. Davis. Once I get out of law school and get job I am hoping to get season tickets. Benson said he was going to chance the name and colors of the Hornets. Down here I've heard the Sinners ( Saints & Sinners in the same city) and Krewe (A Krewe is a group that puts on the mardi gra floats.). While Davis is a no brainer pick I don't think the Hornets should go PG at 10. With Gordon (they are going to match whatever he signs) and Jack they are okay at the guards spot. With the sure thing in Davis I would like to see Demps roll the die on Perry Jones III. With Davis and Jones the Hornets would be incredibly long and young. It's risky but imagine how good the team could be.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Loki #695050 06/19/12 12:02 PM
Legend
Legend
Here's John Hollinger's Big Board accoring to the formula he uses to project PER: (Notice that Beal and Barnes both rated fairly low compared to where they are projected to go)

1. Anthony Davis
2. Thomas Robinson
3. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
4. Dion Waiters
5. Andre Drummond
6. Quincy Miller
7. Jared Sullinger
8. Terrence Jones
9. John Henson
10. Royce White
11. Bradley Beal
12. Harrison Barnes
13. Tony Wroten
14. Kendall Marshall
15. Marquis Teague
16. Draymond Green
17. Jeremy Lamb
18. Damian Lillard
19. Austin Rivers
20. Doron Lamb
21. Furkan Aldemir
22. Will Barton
23. Tyler Zeller
24. Evan Fournier
25. Tyshawn Taylor
26. Meyers Leonard
27. Terrence Ross
28. Perry Jones
29. Festus Ezeli
30. Fab Melo
31. Kostas Sloukas
32. Henry Sims
33. Terrell Stoglin
34. Kostas Papanikolaou
35. Moe Harkless
36. Leon Radosevic
37. JaMychal Green
38. Andrew Nicholson
39. Drew Gordon
40. Garrett Stutz
41. Robert Sacre
42. Arnett Moultrie
43. William Buford
44. Jae Crowder
45. Jared Cunningham
46. Jordan Taylor
47. John Jenkins
48. Orlando Johnson
49. Jeffrey Taylor
50. Tomas Satoransky
51. Quincy Acy
52. Maalik Wayns
53. Tornike Shengelia
54. Scott Machado
55. Mike Scott
56. J'Covan Brown
57. Reggie Hamilton
58. Khris Middleton
59. Tony Mitchell
60. Miles Plumlee

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm flip flopping every other day on MKG, Beal, and Barnes. I can't believe this thing is next week.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs 2012 Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard