Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm flip flopping every other day on MKG, Beal, and Barnes. I can't believe this thing is next week.

My only question is, is you flip flopping mean to you, they are all pretty equal?

And if they are all equal, doesn't that mean we'll get a good player no matter what?

I was only rooting for MKG because he was always thought to be the 2nd best talent, or so I thought...

I just want a guy that can come in and take some of the load off of KI. And let them grow together with TT and whoever we get at #24.

If Grant knows what he's doing, we could be in really good shape in a couple years...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #695054 06/19/12 02:12 PM
Legend
Legend
if we're going to get a good player no matter what, does that mean we should trade up?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

if we're going to get a good player no matter what, does that mean we should trade up?

Depends on if they value a guy more (say MKG) than the others...

This is why I hate/love drafts...

We ASSUME guys like MKG, Beal, or Barnes are going to come in and be good...

But what if we trade all 4 picks this year to get MKG, and he ends up being Danny Granger? Beal ends up being Westbrook, and Barnes ends up being a semi-Kevin Durant? And the guy at 24 ends up being Serge Ibaka?

(I like using extremes to make my point If you haven't noticed)

I just want it to be over with, So I can finally digest what the heck happened...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #695056 06/19/12 02:28 PM
Legend
Legend
i was just kidding. heckert said we were going to get a good player at 4, no matter what. And then we traded up to 3.

ThatGuy #695057 06/19/12 02:32 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I'm flip flopping every other day on MKG, Beal, and Barnes. I can't believe this thing is next week.

My only question is, is you flip flopping mean to you, they are all pretty equal?

And if they are all equal, doesn't that mean we'll get a good player no matter what?

I was only rooting for MKG because he was always thought to be the 2nd best talent, or so I thought...

I just want a guy that can come in and take some of the load off of KI. And let them grow together with TT and whoever we get at #24.

If Grant knows what he's doing, we could be in really good shape in a couple years...

I think odds are between the 3 of those, 1 of them turns out to be head and shoulders better. Maybe not a 1 superstar and 2 nobodies, but maybe 1 multiple time all star and 2 guys who are good enough to start.

It's really tough to judge the college game to the pro game. To me it's like judging QB's from college to pro. I think we all watch enough football to see if a RB is pro-ready, or a linebacker, defensive lineman, etc.. but to me, QB is soooooooooooo hard to judge.

MKG to me has the biggest ceiling. His athleticism is incredible. He's also really young, and very raw. The good thing with that is if we did end up with him, we don't have a lebron situation where we need him immediately. We can actually afford 2 years of growing pains if that's what it took. I just hate taking guys who don't have that jumper pretty far along in development. He's the most interesting player in this draft in my opinion.

I think Beal feels like the safe pick. Seems the most polished of the three. Would be a nice pairing with Kyrie for sure.

Barnes is the wild card. I just don't have a good read on that guy. As far as watching these 3 play. I watched Kentucky the most last year, then NC, and I saw probably 5 UF games.

Like I said, flip flopping. Hahahaha

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like to think I have a decent track record. Much better at basketball than football lol.

Tomorrow or Thursday, I will post a complete breakdown of the 3 options, Beal, MKG, and Barnes.

I will say now, the more film I watch, the more I favor Barnes over Beal.

1. MKG
2. Barnes
3. Beal

I'll breakdown why later.

Legend
Legend
Part of me thinks what we do at 24 is almost if not more important (due to available talents) than what we do at 4...

N
Legend
Legend
N
the bigger reasons to me would be a bigger track record (those hyping Beal's great NCAA tourney need to remember Barne's in 2011), his height/length (and he could potentially move to SG if needed IMO, which could be huge), and his shooting mechanics (near flawless).

beal has the better handle, is better at beating guys off the dribble, seems a bit "nastier" and is definitely stouter/stronger.

it's an interesting debate at least

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Me too, but I think I'm settling on MKG as my first choice. I'm liking Orlando Johnson a lot for SG - it is very highly likely he's there at 24, and likely he's there at 33/34. 24 is hard for me - I think I'd go with Fab Melo. It'd be nice to have a true center out there to spell Andy. Johnson at 33, and maybe a Wroten at 34. Though I wouldn't be against Johnson at 24 just to make sure we get him.

Legend
Legend
Well if we get Beal, people can write about if the Cavs will let him wear 23 (his college number)

And if we get Barnes, they can write about a Duke guy and an NC guy coming together blah blah blah...

(These are the things I think about when I'm home alone and bored.)

ThatGuy #695063 06/19/12 04:13 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
if we get Barnes and Zeller (trade-up w/ NO or Portland) then we can be the Devil Horns and Heels (Irving, TT, Barnes/Zeller)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/C

So with the talk of Sullinger falling due to health concerns, would you draft him if he fell to 24? Do you think he may fall that far?

Legend
Legend
Is there any scenario now where the Bobcats don't draft MKG at #2?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

it would be the scenario where they have Barnes, Beal, or T.Robinson rated higher than MKG I believe

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

It is Michael Jordan. ANYTHING can and will happen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They're drafting Drummond.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
IMO its Barnes. I'm afraid of Barnes due to size, production, and defense. MKG worries me because at this point we're all hoping he turns out to be Gerald Wallace or Trevor Ariza. That's not championship contention IMO. Barnes is the most polished offensively, solid on defense, and has the size to play the position.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
Legend
Legend
My concern with MGK is that he has almost no offensive game outside of dunks. He's athletic, a great defender, and many other things ... but he is a poor shooter.

This team needs a couple of plus shooters, preferably at least 1 who can create his own shot. (however a spot up shooter can be effective with a PG like Irving)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
You don't need a SF to shoot. He can be a slasher that hits the occasional J.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Also, remember, MKG and Kyrie Irving have played together before. They were teammates at St. Patricks in New Jersey.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

MKG worries me because at this point we're all hoping he turns out to be Gerald Wallace or Trevor Ariza. That's not championship contention IMO.

Isn't that sort of what Scottie Pippen did?

At any rate, I wonder what this trade does for the teams in front of us. Washington now has an extra big man in Okafor, but they also have a bit of a glut at SF with Singleton, Vesley and now Ariza. Maybe they would be more in the market for an offensive big like Robinson now?

Legend
Legend
Yeah, but I would still prefer a SF with a more well rounded offensive game.

I seriously worry, if we take MGK, that we'll struggle to score 70 points next year. We have Thompson who is a very solid defender, with limited offensive ability. How would you play him and MGK together?

I would love to find 2 shooters/scorers in this draft, because we really don't have much in that regard.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
MKG won't struggle to score.

Being a shooter or a scorer are different

Legend
Legend
I dunno. Everything I have seen of him, and read about him says that he is athletic as hell, but has almost no offensive game. He can attack the glass, and can slash to the basket, but a pull up jump shot, or really any kind of jump shot. is nothing even remotely resembling a strength.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Regardless of how the points come, we need to find a guy who can reliably contribute 20 points a night.

Adam_P #695078 06/21/12 01:01 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Regardless of how the points come, we need to find a guy who can reliably contribute 20 points a night.

Those type of guys don't grow on trees.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I dunno. Everything I have seen of him, and read about him says that he is athletic as hell, but has almost no offensive game. He can attack the glass, and can slash to the basket, but a pull up jump shot, or really any kind of jump shot. is nothing even remotely resembling a strength.

he is an elite finisher in the paint. that is a definitive scoring skill.

People complain he doesn't shoot as well from the outside (valid point), but forget to mention that Barnes has struggled at times finishing in the paint.

I love the MKG v. Barnes debates because they are so completely dissimilar in almost all respects of their games.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

People complain he doesn't shoot as well from the outside (valid point), but forget to mention that Barnes has struggled at times finishing in the paint.

Barnes can't even create his own shot.

Legend
Legend
NBADraft.net has us going Barnes at 4 and Royce White at 24.

They have us taking Barnes OVER MKG who drops to 5 (eh)

And they have us taking White (another F?) over guys like Doran Lamb and Fab Melo

Question: Lets say it goes Davis/MKG/Barnes in the top 3. Does every say to go Beal? Or is anyone interested in Drummond? I think we need a 5 more than an undersized 2. (Beal isn't going till 7 according the nbadraft.net)

Last edited by OSGuy; 06/21/12 04:02 PM.

ThatGuy #695082 06/21/12 04:38 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
if we take Barnes, then I do hope that we draft a SF because I see Barnes as a SG in the NBA

hope White's fear of flying and anxiety disorder isn't too pressing, but he's likely at least on the list of guys we are considering at #24

really hope we find a way to trade up into the mid-teens, which is where alot of guys I really like seem to be going

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

J
JE159 Offline OP
Practice Squad
OP Offline
Practice Squad
J
1. Davis
2. Robinson
3. Beal
4. MKG
5. Barnes
6. Lillard

I wanted to trade Andy V before last year's trade deadline to maximize his value. If this is the way the top 6 go, would you be up for packing some sort of deal with Golden State to grab Drummond? I think we all agree MKG should be pretty good in the NBA...would you want to take the risk of trading for #7 to grab Drummond by giving up Andy V???

I think ¿f we trade Andy V to grab another lottery pick, we would have to take someone to replace him right??? I don't think we would trade him to grab a shooting guard (Lamb/Rivers) and then try to move up to grab Fab Melo (but his stock is soaring since it got out he had a killer workout).

I just cannot wait until next Thursday!!!

JE159 #695085 06/21/12 05:57 PM
Legend
Legend
If we're going to trade Andy for his replacement, why wouldn't the team we wanna trade with just draft his replacement?

Is Andy even that desirable as a player anymore?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If you can photoshop Cavs jerseys on them in this pic, that'd be sweet.

ThatGuy #695087 06/21/12 07:05 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

If we're going to trade Andy for his replacement, why wouldn't the team we wanna trade with just draft his replacement?

Is Andy even that desirable as a player anymore?

I think so. Problem is the only teams that are going to want him are top tier teams just looking for a guy who can come off the bench.

I'm all for trading Andy if it means we get something nice back, but I don't want to deal him just deal him.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

I am talking about J.Lamb at #4 and we have been on this board. He is the type of guy that has the freakish measurables that add to his numbers (rather than just the measurables).

here's my "cavs board" for the draft:

1. A.Davis
2. MKG
3. Beal
4. J.Lamb / Barnes (have flipped and flopped them so many times, that I just have them tied now)
6. T.Robinson

After that, I think the talent really drops off. I do think that if we trade down with Portland that J.Lamb or Barnes will likely be there and that's the pick I would love (#4+#24 for #6+#11).

I just watched a handful of highlight videos for the players that the Cavs should be considering at #4....

I think I like Jeremy Lamb more than any of them. The game seems easy to him...really really natural. Great shooting form. Plenty of athleticism. Good handle. Pretty much ideal measurables for a 2 guard. Wirey frame but that's what a professional strength coach is for.

I'd pick him and not look back.

[Linked Image]
Heldawg #695089 06/21/12 11:39 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
yeah, his "hole" in his game seems the easiest to correct

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Anyone interested in Brandon Roy?

ThatGuy #695091 06/22/12 11:21 AM
Legend
Legend
I thought he was broken...

Legend
Legend
He's been working out apparently, they say he looks "good"

If he checks out, He'll likely either go to a good team for a minimum.

But maybe we could offer he a mid range deal to come in and be our 2.

It's not THAT big of a risk, with options and what have you not.

Kyrie
Roy
MKG/Barnes
TT
Andy

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs 2012 Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard