Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend
First of all, the Bully is an idiot taking on a kid that appears twice his size.

Good for the kid for standing up..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Fighting physical abuse and emotional abuse with physical abuse? Ugh, we have a lot of growing to do as a human race.

Last edited by RocketOptimist; 05/19/12 01:42 PM.
Legend
Legend
Sometimes that's what it takes though. You have to stand up to a bully to get the bullying to stop.

When I was a kid I had a kid who was after be relentlessly. He gave me so much grief that it was ridiculous. It was always him and 4 or 5 of his buddies too.

I finally got sick and tired of it, and agreed to fight him. I got my shots in, and took a few ..... but in the end, he was the one who gave up.

I went back to school the next day and he started up with me again, and one of his buddies told him to knock it off or he'd make him .....

There are times when a person just has to make a stand for himself, and let a bully know that he is not going to be able to get away with trying to push him around anymore. It may not be civilized, but neither is bullying.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Defending yourself is not abuse. To call it such is flat out one of the silliest, stupidest, most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

I suppose you want both kids to have "counseling", and probably would not have the courage and good sense to do anything about it until somebody is seriously injured.

A problem was solved, and ended. It won't happen again. The methods you propose have done not single damn thing to solve this problem. Five seconds of decisive action did what was necessary.

Are you so afraid of making a decision on your own, so completely terrified of an individual taking an action without being part of a group or committee to ratify it, so totally unable to think for yourself that the concept of somebody else doing it is just inconceivable to you?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Fighting physical abuse and emotional abuse with physical abuse?

Exactly what would you do if someone came up to you and punched you? Someone that had been bullying you for apparently a long time?

This kid got hit in the face. He blocked the next punch to the face. He got punched in the gut. Was close to getting punched again, but then decided to stand up for himself, and he did.

I've got $100 that says the big kid doesn't get picked on anymore.

You ever know someone that was bullied daily as a kid? It affects them for a lifetime usually.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Iv'e watched all the interview's I would post them but they are long, in short they are both sorry, and Casey is doing guest speaking on bullying , he had a cousin that committed suicide over being bullied.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
More so a general reply...

I've seen these types of situations unfold and been involved in these types of situations personally. Never once did I raise my hand against someone else. It comes down to finding and opening up to the right people in your life. With the right people in your life you learn to not let others bother you.

N
Legend
Legend
N
for the verbal abuse, I completely agree. but, if someone is throwing punches, then you have to know how to defend yourself as well.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Fighting physical abuse and emotional abuse with physical abuse? Ugh, we have a lot of growing to do as a human race.

Did you watch the video? The kid gets hit 4-5 times and then when the bully comes in for a 6th hit the kid picks him up, body slams him, and it's over... both kids I think have since apologized... this is EXACTLY how it should be IMO... a kid is attacking you, you stand up to him, it's over... shake hands and move on

the scary thing is, especially in this country, after the body slam we'd move into suing, or pulling out guns, or getting all your buddies to beat up the kid...

I don't condone violence, especially with children... but if someone is hitting me I'm either going to walk away or stand up for myself... when I was his age I always tried to walk away first... but if that didn't work I'd get into a scrap... I always got in trouble for it, but after every fight I got in (defending myself) the person who started it never tried to fight again.....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Self defense is the only exception in physical abuse

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I love that video, I respect that kid - and wholeheartedly disagree with anyone who feels otherwise.

As a fellow big guy - sometimes you've just got to show 'em who's boss.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Maybe you can see them, but in that video, I do not see A SINGLE ONE of these "right people" that you seem so confident are always available to do for you what you are unwilling or unable to do for yourself.

You can not always depend on somebody else to do what needs to be done. The day will come when you need to stand up for yourself, because there will be nobody else to do it. They will all be waiting for "somebody else".

On that day, one of two things will happen. Either you will do it, or it will not get done. It may be the last mistake you ever make.

S
Legend
Legend
S
c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

More so a general reply...

I've seen these types of situations unfold and been involved in these types of situations personally. Never once did I raise my hand against someone else. It comes down to finding and opening up to the right people in your life. With the right people in your life you learn to not let others bother you.

LOL....right.

Open up, share your emotions, discuss the matter....you got to be kidding us, right??

Punch them in the mouth. If it continues, do it again. The whole attitude changes in a hurry. A lot faster than discussing your emotions.

LOL....geez

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I remember having to take this class in middle school where the teachers taught us that when dealing with bullies, it is important to use "I-messages," to resolve the problems without physicality.

The idea was that if you are being picked on, you should use a 3-part "I-message," to let the bully know how you feel when he/she picks on you.

Upon being picked on, you should.....

1. Tell the bully how you feel:

"I feel...(insert emotion here)"

2. Tell the bully what caused the feeling:

"When....(tell what caused the feeling)

3. Suggest to the bully another way to act:

"I would like....(tell what you want to happen instead)

So my teacher taught us this way to handle bullying:

I feel upset, when you call me names, and I would like you to stop.

I remember I told my teacher that she was living in a freaking fantasy world if she thought that this would work.

She told me that if the bully really cared about you, then he/she would respect your feelings......

To which i argued:

If the bully respected your feelings, then they probably wouldn't be bullying you in the first place...

It was the stupidest class ever......

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
That there are actually people who believe this idiocy is bad enough, but the fact that several of them are in charge of educating our children is really scary.

My son had a problem on the school bus, where another kid grabbed his hair and slammed his head into the window. This kid had done similar things several times. "Counseling" achieved ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. My son grabbed his wrist and twisted it, hard. (three guesses where he learned how). The schools only response was that "no one should be hitting anyone else", and they discussed suspension. I told them that if they suspended my son, I would initiate a very loud and very public discussion about their total inability to provide the most basic safety necessities on the bus. I did so while demonstrating the loud part, in their office. No suspension happened.

I told my son that if it happens again, with anyone, you hit them, hard, and you keep hitting them until the threat is eliminated.

These freaking morons could not take a direct action if their life depended on it. If you remember the students at Virginia Tech, many of them sat calmly in their chairs, taking no action, at all, while their lives depended on it. Roughly 30 of them will never make that mistake again.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

I remember having to take this class in middle school where the teachers taught us that when dealing with bullies, it is important to use "I-messages," to resolve the problems without physicality.

The idea was that if you are being picked on, you should use a 3-part "I-message," to let the bully know how you feel when he/she picks on you.

Upon being picked on, you should.....

1. Tell the bully how you feel:

"I feel...(insert emotion here)"

2. Tell the bully what caused the feeling:

"When....(tell what caused the feeling)

3. Suggest to the bully another way to act:

"I would like....(tell what you want to happen instead)

So my teacher taught us this way to handle bullying:

I feel upset, when you call me names, and I would like you to stop.

I remember I told my teacher that she was living in a freaking fantasy world if she thought that this would work.

She told me that if the bully really cared about you, then he/she would respect your feelings......

To which i argued:

If the bully respected your feelings, then they probably wouldn't be bullying you in the first place...

It was the stupidest class ever......

I would laugh my ass off in that class, as telling a bully that is just giving them fuel for intimidation and teasing?. Isn't that kind of the definition of bullying?

1. To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner.
2. To make (one's way) aggressively.
3. To force one's way aggressively or by intimidation

In 5th grade I switched from private school to public school, and on the 3rd day of school one of the other kids met me at the bike rack and started teasing me, I was a scrawny little kid and he had me by a good 20-30 pounds. He grabbed by hat and took my bike, which i grabbed back, then he hit me in the jaw, tackled me and kept shaking me, I got 1 shot in and popped his eye, and then he layed into me. Finally a couple other kids broke it off and he left.

When his parents saw the black eye I gave them they asked what happened, and apparently his brother saw the whole thing and knew me from cub scouts a couple years before and told his parents the true story. They brought him to our house and made him apologize right there on my door step that night.

We actually became friends after that.

Last edited by FloridaFan; 05/21/12 08:38 AM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Quote:

Fighting physical abuse and emotional abuse with physical abuse?

Exactly what would you do if someone came up to you and punched you? Someone that had been bullying you for apparently a long time?

This kid got hit in the face. He blocked the next punch to the face. He got punched in the gut. Was close to getting punched again, but then decided to stand up for himself, and he did.

I've got $100 that says the big kid doesn't get picked on anymore.

You ever know someone that was bullied daily as a kid? It affects them for a lifetime usually.

great post arch.

Go Browns!
A
All Pro
All Pro
A
that is a cool story dude. bully never harmed you again, I take it.

what is worse than male aggression is female aggression. women and girls bully differently and more subtly. in the cases ive known where the dude has bullied anther dude sometimes they become friends or at least civil. they forget about it and move on. the bully respects the bullied if the bullied is able to stand up for himself.

female aggression is more of social isolation and it goes on beyond middle school...to hs and into the workplace. women are more social creatures so they can read people better and the bad ones use that to their advantage.

Go Browns!
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

I would laugh my ass off in that class, as telling a bully that is just giving them fuel for intimidation and teasing?. Isn't that kind of the definition of bullying?

Whats funny is that I can remember failing a section of a test because one of the questions asked us to resolve a conflict with an "I-message." While I did "jump through hoop," answering the question and telling the teacher what she wanted to hear; I also felt inclined to share my feelings about her "lesson."

Basically I told her it would not work. And that it would probably make things worse between a student and a bully. And she wrote underneath my rant that any mature student would respect an "I-message," because they are all caring individuals....

I will never forget that stupid class and the idiot teacher....Miss Molitoris.....

Yea, we had a nasty nickname for her....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Rookie
Rookie
That was excellent. And I thank you for posting it.

Life is about balance. The best fights are the ones we avoid, and when you can avoid a fight, that's always the best route to take. But sometimes you can't avoid a fight. When those occasions arise, you defend yourself with the least amount of force necessary to eliminate the threat. As far as I can tell from this video, that's what Casey did. He should be proud.

I would contend that anyone who believes there was some alternative solution is absurd at best.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Kid pwnz his school bully - Casey Heynes Interview

Link Copied to Clipboard