Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Cincinnati Bengals undrafted rookie linebacker Brandon Joiner's NFL career will be on hold after the 23-year-old was sentenced to three years in prison over a 2007 robbery that occurred when Joiner was a freshman at Texas A&M, the Bryan College Station Eagles reports.

Joiner was indicted on two counts of aggravated robbery and one charge of felony drug possession. Joiner and another former player were arrested and charged with robbery after breaking into a College Station apartment and robbing a drug dealer at gunpoint.

Joiner had been on probation for the first robbery count and was sentenced to three years in prison on the drug charge, with the sentences to run concurrently. With good behavior, Joiner's attorney believes his client could be released in six to nine months.

"Brandon must serve a sentence for a crime he was convicted of in 2007 -- when he was 18," the Bengals said on the team's official website. "But his positive actions during the past five years, including significant community service work, graduation from Arkansas State University and an unblemished subsequent behavior record, have generated a group of active supporters that includes Mike Beebe, the Governor of Arkansas, and Hugh Freeze, Brandon's head coach at Arkansas State and now head coach at Mississippi. In kind, the Bengals support Brandon's future opportunity for a career in the NFL."

Joiner landed at Navarro Junior Community College after he was kicked off the Texas A&M football team. He later transferred to Arkansas State. In 24 games for the Red Wolves, Joiner totaled 82 tackles, including 24.5 tackles for a loss and 17 sacks. In 2011, the 6-foot-2, 249-pound defensive end earned Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year honors after leading the conference with 13 sacks, a total that ranked fourth nationally. Joiner was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine and was unable to conduct a full workout at his pro day on March 27 due to a hamstring injury.

"Since this incident, Brandon has conducted himself in an exemplary fashion and I’m sure he will continue to do that," attorney Jay Granberry said. "There are a lot of people rooting for Brandon and I’m convinced he’s not going to let anyone down."

Legend
Legend
Well ... he should fit right in with the Bengals ...... when he gets out of prison, that is.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Well ... he should fit right in with the Bengals ...... when he gets out of prison, that is.

don't they have a team in the Ohio Penal League?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I know it happens to every team at one point or another. One of thier players get into trouble and such. Thinking of Pharms in our case.

But there is something wrong with the way the Bengals when it seems like every year, there are 2 or 3 of thier players that are arrested, jailed or something else involving legal trouble.

Sure seems as if they take a lot of chances on guys..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Well .... as an aside ... where did Burfict wind up after all of his troubles?

Yep .... Cincinnati.

They really seem to have no problem with any character flaws. Thiefs, drug abusers, rapists, general scum of the Earth ...... come on down to Cincinnati.

Paul Brown has to be turning over in his grave.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well .... as an aside ... where did Burfict wind up after all of his troubles?

Yep .... Cincinnati.

They really seem to have no problem with any character flaws. Thiefs, drug abusers, rapists, general scum of the Earth ...... come on down to Cincinnati.

Paul Brown has to be turning over in his grave.

Oh no kidding,, he was the ultimate watcher of character...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Farm team. Miracle is somebody is getting paid to screen these guys before they get booked, charged, sentenced, or whatever. THAT must be a cushy job. Year-end performance eval must be a hoot. THAT is a job that can't require much. The beat goes on. Kinda lends a certain different slant to "Bengal stripes" if you think about it.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Rookie
Rookie
Did the Browns not draft a LB who comitted a felony that they were fully aware of?

Did the Browns not have a WR driving under the influence who ran over a poor bystander?

Did the Browns not have a DT who tried to sneak a gun on to an airplane?

Did the Browns not have a HOF RB who's off the field troubles (beating women) are well known?

It's hilarious Clown fans think their franchise is free from crime. 95% of the Bengals off the field trouble in the past few years is very minor. I'm sure members of this board have done far worse.

Legend
Legend
Have not the Bengals had quadruple that number of issues over the past dozen or so years alone ......?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Did the Browns not draft a LB who comitted a felony that they were fully aware of?

Did the Browns not have a WR driving under the influence who ran over a poor bystander?

Did the Browns not have a HOF RB who's off the field troubles (beating women) are well known?

It's hilarious Clown fans think their franchise is free from crime. 95% of the Bengals off the field trouble in the past few years is very minor. I'm sure members of this board have done far worse.

Yes, every bit of that is true.. and it spans a time frame of about 50 years..

the Bengals have more than that in the last 5..

SO, what's your point..

Like I said, every team has one or two of these things happen.. over time, , more of course

But how in the hell can you explain the Bengals problems with problem players..

it comes down to one thing.. Complete lack of common sense..

Did I mention that your handle tells me you are living in the past..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

95% of th Bengals off the field trouble in the past few years is very minor.

The only thing "minor" about the bungle troubles is the young girl Maluga tried to buy a motel room for.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

95% of the Bengals off the field trouble in the past few years is very minor.

The only thing "minor" about the bungle troubles is the young girl Maluga tried to buy a motel room for.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

a LBer who never played a down for the team
a WR who was cut before playing another down
a DT who was traded after playing just 1 more season with the team (charge happened too near the draft when offseason trades go down and he had too much value to cut)
a RB whose legal troubles didn't become public until he was an actor and never played another down

how many of these players do the Bengals let go?

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I wonder why they waited 5 years to finally hand down his sentence. Kinda stupid.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Hey, thanks for all of that current and up to date information, Dr. NoHelp. Must be nice to have all that time to think while you're living in your parents basement. Or did you pop a hole in your inflatable girlfriend and needed options to kill time?

What's the over/under on when Vontaze Burflict gets cut or gets in trouble with the law? He's a bungle, it'll happen sooner than you think.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
T
Legend
Legend
T
I thought the only guy who tried to sneak a gun onto an airplane was a Cowboy owner or coach.
... ... ...
" he robbed a drug dealer at gunpoint. " to get his drugs back.

Ban him from the league. permenantly.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Actually it's not all true, but I'm not going to get into it...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually it's not all true, but I'm not going to get into it...

You are right,, the way he wrote it, it's not technically all true. He's speaking of Pharms and said we knew of his troubles before drafting him,, we didn't or we woudln't have.

Other things also but like you, I'm not going to get into it.

The point was, that all happened over 40 or 50 years.. The Bengals have that much and more happen in almost any given 2 or 3 year period..LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The point was, that all happened over 40 or 50 years.. The Bengals have that much and more happen in almost any given 2 or 3 month period..LOL

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

The point was, that all happened over 40 or 50 years.. The Bengals have that much and more happen in almost any given 2 or 3 month period..LOL

Ahh, I saw what you did there.. Good job bud

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
2nd String
2nd String
C
Quote:

" he robbed a drug dealer at gunpoint. " to get his drugs back.

Ban him from the league. permenantly.

Wow, lets ban every kid who did anything wrong before they were ever in the NFL, from the league..You guys are as desperate for smack as your team is for wins...Sheesh..

"Behold! The only thing greater than yourself!"
T
Legend
Legend
T
" let's ban every kid that did anything wrong."

Breaking into an apartment, and robbing (anyone) at gunpoint, given a 3 year prision sentence by whatever goverment body asigns the sentence.

That doesn't fall into the category of " anything wrong".

I'm fine with a permanent Ban for anyone who is convicted of robbery, or breaking an entering, or holding someone at gunpoint.

There shouln't be a 2nd chance, they and every human being on this planet are already on their 2nd chance, the 1st chance is not to do anything of this type, and their opportunity is the example of what happens to those who Do, do something like this.
Texas A and M kicked him out, the NFL should too.

And ME TOO, If I should fall into that category, should face the same lack of a 2nd chance when the Crime is of that magnitude.

Legend
Legend
I know this is the shack and not the place for logical debate but then what should he do? Should he be imprisoned for the rest of his life? Should he not be able to have a job? Should he not be able to have a good paying job?

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk The Smack Shack Bengals' rookie Brandon Joiner sentenced to prison

Link Copied to Clipboard