Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Does anyone here really believe that the blood alcohol level of a Browns player did not reach .24 this offseason? You know these are young, single twenty-something millionaires Either they made it home without incident or they got a ride.

If he would have obtained a ride instead of driving nobody would be bashing him right now. Nobody is bashing him for getting drunk, they are bashing him for getting drunk and driving like an idiot.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

So where are the Blackmon Boy's??

I wanted no part of Blackmon...was a TRich guy all the way.

But this lynch mob mentality is crazy ....and all this praise we are heaping on our FO or ourselves because some people didn't want Blackmon and this somehow validates that is ridiculous.

Maybe the kid has a drinking problem ....or maybe his problem is poor decision making. Does anyone here really believe that the blood alcohol level of a Browns player did not reach .24 this offseason? You know these are young, single twenty-something millionaires Either they made it home without incident or they got a ride.

Something will happen with a Browns player this year. Wonder what the reaction will be.

Oh, I was just poking in jest....I should have added a

No doubt something is going to happen to a browns player sooner or later, and I do feel bad for Blackmon. People get their party on, then they don't think right

It doesn't make him a bad person, or even a person who makes poor choices. Most drunk people make poor choices.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Booked at 10am??? Wonder if he was still out from Saturday... Or if he'd slept and was just still drunk from the night before.

If you are that drunk and fall asleep, I don't think you wake up early the next day...

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
1st String
1st String
C
its when you repeatedly make the same bad choices....

i think its the position. WR creates divas for some reason.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Why is he wearing a bengals' uni in that mugshot?

Legend
Legend
j/c

I was (and am) a huge Justin Blackmon fan. I still wish we had him on this team. But, there's just no excusing this. Just plain stupidity.

He had a DUI a few years ago. A lot of people pointed to that as this big red flag. I think it is a serious offense, but considering some of the other things we hear about athletes, one DUI just didn't seem that "big a deal." Heck, when you sit to get interviewed for the bar exam, I've been told by attorneys that they almost EXPECT you to have a DUI on your record (or some other alcohol-related offense). Does that excuse it or make it ok? Absolutely not.

Now he gets a 2nd one. Certainly starts to put red flags up for me. I'm disappointed because I went to bat for the guy and maybe I'm wrong (because my opinion matters so much).

But, hopefully he can learn from this and be a stud in the league.

Luckily he didn't hurt anyone.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Damn, we sure dodged a bullet that time.. wow and Whew.

I don't think we did, I think this was factored in when evaulating him and TR33.

I don't want to say I know for sure, because I don't, but I don't think we ever strongly considered this guy.

I hope he gets his act together, but I'm glad we have people in place to make decisions on taking quality players and quality human beings.

Of course, you are correct, we don't really know for sure if he was ever a thought.. but you'd almost have to assume so given his talent level.

One thing,, we obviously scouted the beegessus out of Weeden so we had to have seen a lot of blackmon... what did they see or not see in him. Or was it just, they like Trich better?

either way, thus far, I'm happy we got Richardson. he seems way more grounded and professional and mature. Not to mention, a very very strong and fast bulldozer...LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
choco #698781 06/04/12 08:50 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Like it or not...and this is not meant to hammer the guy...but Blackmon obviously has an alcohol problem.

Here Blackmon is, on the verge of signing a multi-million dollar contract and he's home for a few days between OTAs, and Blackmon drinks until severely drunk, then gets behind the wheel and drives...all bad choices on Blackmon's part.

On the positive side, getting pulled over by the cops might have been the best thing to happen to Blackmon...he's still alive, didn't hurt anyone else and now he will be forced to deal with his "problem".

The NFL is going to be looking over Blackmon's shoulder for a long time once he enters the NFL's substance abuse program. One question...will Blackmon be considered a repeat offender by the NFL due to his DUI arrest in 2010?

After Blackmon was busted in college, he appeared to clean his act up and didn't have anymore alcohol related incidents. With the NFL involved, it might be exactly what Blackmon needs and now the Jags do not have to take on the responsibility for addressing the issue.

There may be a silver lining in this for Blackmon and the Jags, though it does not appear that way now. How Blackmon responds to this incident will be a true test of his character.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #698782 06/04/12 09:10 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
can say the same for Floyd too. Only one DUI, but he had 3 alcohol-related incidents at ND. Luckily for him and not so much for Tommy Rees, he's pretty good at the game and didn't miss any games.

I'm not jumping up and down because we didn't pick this guy, but I'm just very happy with the decision they made back in April.

Blackmon strikes me as a diva who maybe was the guy that didn't want to play for the Browns when it was reported one of the high end prospects said just that, but I don't think he's a bad guy. I hope he can get his act together, maybe he'll realize how good he has it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm not a lawyer, but if I was one I would have advised him not to let them test his blood alc or speak until I got there which would have been sometime later the next day. What's the worst that could have happened? He would have had his license suspended which he neither needs nor deserves.

Differences in different states but here in North Carolina you cannot refuse the test. It is part of your agreement to obtain the privilege of a driver's license. I think you can refuse to give a specimen but then that is considered an admission of guilt.

And like you, I am no lawyer.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Once he is drafted he is considered part of the NFL under the CBA,and subject to the rules of the NFL and CBA ... including behavior, legal, and substance abuse related clauses.

Again, no contract. I'd test that if I were an attorney.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
I doubt that he puts up a huge defense if he gets a 1 or 2 game suspension. he wasn't "Ooops, I had one beer too many" drunk ..... he was sloppy, falling down, "I shoulda stopped 9 or 10 drinks ago" drunk.

As far as suspension goes:

Substance-abuse policy permits suspension of Blackmon | ProFootballTalk
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ion-o-blackmon/

But the league office will have the last word. Blackmon is subject to discipline under the substance-abuse policy. (The fact that he has yet to sign a contract won’t protect him; the moment he was drafted, Blackmon became subject to all league policies.) Under the policy, any disposition reflecting responsibility of any kind for the alleged crime exposes Blackmon to “a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline.”

The policy states that, “[a]bsent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will generally be a fine of two-seventeenths (2/17)” of his base salary, up to a maximum of $50,000. The problem for Blackmon is the phrase “aggravating circumstances,” which are defined by the policy as “including but not limited to felonious conduct or serious injury or death of third parties, and/or if the player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct.” If there are “aggravating circumstances, “increased discipline up to and including suspension may be imposed.”

Blackmon has “prior . . . alcohol-related misconduct,” thanks to a DUI incident in college that resulted in a fine. Though the league apparently has abandoned the practice of disciplining players for pre-NFL behavior that results in a judicial resolution after the player’s NFL career has begun, the league wouldn’t be punishing Blackmon for his past DUI. Instead, the NFL would be taking his history into account when meting out discipline for the more recent incident.

And since the appeal of the league’s punishment of Blackmon will be handled by the league, the league ultimately will be able to do whatever it wants to do.

So if the league chooses to suspend discipline, the league can do it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

While I am in no way excusing the dooie.. I'm perplexed the league thinks it can sanction Blackmon. To my thinking, he's not under contract and he's no different than my next door neighbor. I just don't see the league's legal grounds.

The Jags drafted him.. yea.. so?? No contract.. no Jag. He's just like anyone else.

That's not the case, Saint.

The moment you're drafted you fall under the guidelines of the CBA. Being signed to a contract isn't a requisite.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hmmph. Restraint of Trade.

I disagree with the assumption the league makes. I'm obnoxious that way.

SaintDawg™

Legend
Legend
I would assume the player signs to that agreement when he officially submits his name for the NFL draft, right? "If drafted, I will fall under the CBA as an NFLPA member and be held to the rules and benefits fo the NFLPA....blah, blah, blah..."

Right?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Punch.. now THAT would be binding. If he agreed to abide prior to a contract I could see that. Beacause that would constitute a contract.. this for that.

SaintDawg™

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Are they sure it's Blackmon?

That guy doesn't look anything like a football player. LOL...

That was my first though too! Slight shoulders, gaunt frame. I mean wow he doesn't pass the eyeball test for an NFL athlete at all. And I loved his production and play on the field.

Yikes!!!

We dodged one for sure with this guy.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

It's a stupid thing he did.

....... Twice in two years. If that doesn't appear like an ongoing problem to you, what more would it take?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

It's a stupid thing he did.

....... Twice in two years. If that doesn't appear like an ongoing problem to you, what more would it take?

yes completely ignore the front of the message when I said the following:

Quote:

the kid obviously has some issues with alcohol as he has a previous DUI and you don't get a 0.24 nursing beers.

some kids are stubborn and it takes more than getting knocked once to get the message through their skulls. maybe this won't even do it. just saying that it's up to him to get the message and take corrective action. perhaps this is the instance that makes him do it.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Once he is drafted he is considered part of the NFL under the CBA,and subject to the rules of the NFL and CBA ... including behavior, legal, and substance abuse related clauses.

Again, no contract. I'd test that if I were an attorney.

What's to try?

If it is plainly stated that by entering the draft you must comply to NFL guidelines, there's really nothing to fight. Once you stand on that stage wearing an NFL hat with your NFL jersey, you then are repesenting the NFL.

Seems the language is fairly simplistic regarding that. If you don't want to be bound by the agreement, don't enter the draft. Seems like a choice was made to me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I just have to ask. We don't know what he blew do we? .15 just does not seem to be the falling down drunk some posts on here would suggest. Before they lowered the limit, it was .10. So being .05 over that would not seem all that. Again I'm not trying to justify his actions, only to give him the benefit of the doubt. 30 yrs. ago I got two DWI's and both times I blew over .24. So I don't think he was falling down drunk.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
P
Legend
Legend
P
You also prefaced that with this....

Quote:

I think this is all a bit silly.

Which did make it seem as though you thought the entire thing was "silly". If I'm mistaken about that, well then, my bad.

I think my biggest concern is far more about him being "fake". When you look at his comments after his first DUI, it seemed he "got it". But after this time, it seems he's more concerned about saying the right things, than doing the right things.

Quote:

"I'm embarrassed to be in this position," Blackmon said. "I'm truly sorry to my family, to my friends and to Oklahoma State all together. I look forward to redeeming myself and proving to everybody that this isn't who I am. I'm not this guy. I'm humbled by this experience and I will grow from it."

To me, that's the biggest red flag of all.

And since every time I looked at a highlight reel of Blackmon, most all of the passes he caught were right on the money. Not much in the way of "spectatular, athletic grabs" with Weeden at QB. Actually it looked more like a
weeden highglight reel.

That really grabbed my attention more than anything I saw Blackmon do!

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
the silly part (to me) was there seemed to be alot of calling Blackmon a complete bust of a draft pick already. it's a long way from determining that as he hasn't even touched the field and there is a decent chance he can straighten himself out from this event (and if not, then we can go into that)

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
20 months ago he was arrested for a DUI. He is in the middle of his rookie contract negotiations and he is out at 3am driving on the wrong side of the road because he is so hammered. He is the next in a long line of complete busts at the receiver position the Jags have drafted unless he dramatically changes.

I think the only way to save the kid is to give him a heavy dose of reality with at least a 4 game suspension to start the season. If the NFL doesn't do it, then the jags should. Atleast if the jags did it, they could let him practice but not participate in games.

B
Legend
Legend
B
He is under the CBA.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
He is under the CBA.

JMO

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
He is under the CBA and I wanted the guy here. I still think he has great talent but this episode is nothing short of stupid and that's hard to fix.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #698801 06/04/12 08:25 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
With some people, age fixes a lot. It's how it works sometimes.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
.24 is quite drunk.

Also, he was obviously impaired from the reports of the officers on the site.

This doesn't see like it's even close. He blew a .24 and was stumbling drunk.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

With some people, age fixes a lot. It's how it works sometimes.

but "some" can be a mighty small number too.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
DAMN ROOKIE

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

.24 is quite drunk.

How does one plead NOT GUILTY to this charge?

Do they keep records of the breathe-a-lyzer tests?

Possibly have a dashboard cam video of him stumbling?

Dude, just take your lumps and move on.

...Or drag it out...Whatever.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

the silly part (to me) was there seemed to be alot of calling Blackmon a complete bust of a draft pick already. it's a long way from determining that as he hasn't even touched the field and there is a decent chance he can straighten himself out from this event (and if not, then we can go into that)

I wouldn't say he's a bust. However, the NFL is a corperate entity and as such, each player is an investment.

It seems from what I am reading, that when the NFL looks at this as his second DUI in two years and the fact that even this time he faces a suspension possibly........

How would you feel about investing that much in a player that's just one mistake away from a possible long term suspension when he hasn't even been on the field for a single play yet? I mean would you like those odds? A kid that's already going to be on Goodells list without even taking the field?

Any investment is a gamble to one degree or another. And from a realistic standpoint, he just increased the odds of failure for the Jaguars investment in him. Nothing written in stone, but the kid just put a big bullseye on himself before he even gets started. I don't see any way possible that can be minimized.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

I'm not a lawyer, but if I was one I would have advised him not to let them test his blood alc or speak until I got there

Not sure about OK, but in PA, if you refuse the test, you're automatically arrested on the spot. I'm pretty sure most states would have something in there to prevent that much of a delay, or no one would ever actually be nailed for DUI.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

.24 is quite drunk.

osg...the reason Blackmon hired a lawyer was to litigate the case, possibly changing the plea from not guilty to no contest or guilty.

I realize he looks guilty as hell to everyone at this point, but he may be able to get off with less than guilty if his lawyer can plea bargain with the county prosecutor.

Also, there may be circumstances the public is not aware of...we just don't know at this point.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
From my experience Lawyers always advise to plead not guilty. You never know maybe the arresting officer decides to move to Alaska and become a fisherman and doesn't show up in court.The case could then be dismissed.There could be calibration issues with the breathalyzer that can result in the case being thrown out. Who knows, I have never heard of a lawyer telling his client to plead guilty in a DUI case.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

.24 is quite drunk.

I would guess that he'll try to plea bargain the charge down from aggravated to regular DUI.

However, if they have as much as they very well might .... including dash cams and multiple drunk tests, then they might just go to court for the whole charge anyway. However, Blackmon could still try to bargain for the sentence in exchange for a guilty plea. Something like "My client will plead guilty in exchange for no more than 3 days in jail, with the rest of the sentence of 90 days suspended pending no repeat of such an incident for a period of 1 year, plus a fine, and probation" ...... or some such arrangement that would eliminate the need for a trial, but would ensure that he doesn't do a lot of jail time.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

I think I read somewhere that the DA in the case came out and said that a plea bargain wouldn't be offered to Blackmon. I'm far from a legal expert, but, given that stance by the DA, it seems like entering a not guilty plea would be the obvious move early on to delay the proceedings as long as possible and look for other avenues to pursue a reduction in the charges. He can always change his plea as the trial date approaches (and probably will).

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I don't know how this is going to play out, but as the evaluations continued pre-draft, not only did I sour on him as a player, but as a person as well.

I'm just damned glad we didn't go after him as a low-character guy and instead went with a very high-character guy in Richardson.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
Legend
Legend
B
I'd say don't blow unless you know you will blow under the limit.

Get a personal analyzer if you hit the bars. Test yourself before you drive off.. Make your decision from that point.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Blackmon arrested

Link Copied to Clipboard