Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Weeden with 3500 yards ....Little with 800 yards receiving ..... presumably Richardson would play as well ..... and we'll be 1-15?

Last year the Colts combined for under 3000 passing yards and under 1600 rushing yards, Garcon and Wayne both had about 950 yards each... if we are going to throw for 3500 and Little only has 810 yards.. who is catching all of the passes? And even with that and the 28th ranked defense, the Colts STILL won 2 games.

yebat' Putin
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If she's going to use my material all I ask is attribution.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Josh Gordon will have 1600 receiving yards, derr.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well.

H
Rookie
Rookie
H
Quote:

Quote:

I just want to make sure that Taylor is healthy and back in game shape in time for the playoffs.

I didn't know his injury affected his remote control hand!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

the last time the media picked us to be this bad... we went to the playoffs and we just missed the playoffs

I'll take it!

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

j/c

the last time the media picked us to be this bad... we went to the playoffs and we just missed the playoffs

I'll take it!

You can also say that the last time we took a QB in the first round we almost went to the playoffs!

The stars are aligned. This year is gonna be a good year...I can feel it.

mac #707400 07/20/12 03:09 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c

So last year our offense was putrid and we won more than 1 game. This year, we supposedly upgraded our OL, our QB, our WRs and our RB, and we're supposed to be worse?

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Quote:

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2012/07/cleveland_browns_will_win_at_l.html

Mary Kay is predicting between 6 and 8 wins. FWIW.

well, 13 / 30 (43.3%) NFL teams fell into that range last year, so she's really not going out on much of a limb with that "prediction."

I wonder which 6-8 games she thinks we'll win.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You can also say that the last time we took a QB in the first round we almost went to the playoffs!

Yea but not with our first round pick QB... so that means that Colt is going to lead us to 10 wins.

yebat' Putin
I
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I
Quote:

Quote:

Yea but not with our first round pick QB... so that means that Colt is going to lead us to 10 wins.

Honestly, I don't really care who does it. A win is a win and 10 of em' would make me a very happy man!!!

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
1-15 is very possible with this crew. Rookie RB, RT, WR, and QB. Defense with maybe...MAYBE...three playmakers and a defensive line that looks just plain bad on paper.

Too many folks look at the stats and say our defense was solid last year. That's the same misconception that has been made several times over the last decade because our offense was so bad teams didn't need to attack the defensive unit.

I don't see us losing 15, but I sure as Hell don't see us winning 7 or 8. 4-6 sounds about right.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
You sure as hell we don't win 7 games? Sure as hell?

What's the bet?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Just clicking

But seriously, How many of us really care what the media thinks our record will be?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I would bet good money that we win more than 1 game next year.

I wonder how much Prisco wants to put on it?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

You sure as hell we don't win 7 games? Sure as hell?

What's the bet?

Lunch. But here's the kicker...

I've been doing some looking around, and I saw a DealCaddy.com deal where they were offering $250 for a round at TPC Sawgrass, The Stadium Course, a double-occupied room, transportation to and from the hotel, and a paid fore-caddie. I'm thinking with some planning a trip could be put together for all of us so-called golfers. DC and I have talked about it a little anyway, and this seems like a doable thing.

Here's where it could get interesting. While the Dealcaddy deal is over (who wants to play down there in August anyway ) we have no less than three of our Remington hotels within a few miles of that course, including a resort hotel called One Ocean. I'm sure I could swing a deal for a sweetheart rate on a block of rooms, where all of us could play several courses down there over a several-day span. Late February to mid-March would prolly be the best times, as the weather is turning nice and the snowbirds are flocking back to the North.

Haven't brought this up with anyone yet as the idea just occurred to me a couple of days ago.

Lunch on Heldawg...that has a nice ring to it.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Hey, I'll buy y'all a drink.. just tell me how many straws you need.

yebat' Putin
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Speedo or no speedo?

[Linked Image]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Well, I want a Krazy-straw, and since Hel is from Hawai'i, I bet he'll want some foofy with an umbrella in it.

Hel, if that's your idea of lunch, I'm on the first plane up!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

There's a whole lotta good points made in those articles.

Our Defense is Fool's Gold. That stat about our pass defense is right on point, as is the follow-up that says that the more our O scores, the more our D will be exposed.
HOPEFULLY, the additions up front will help that dramatically.

On O, I really believe that it all comes down to the receivers - just as it did last year.
If they can get open and not be single-covered all day, then we can begin to dictate things to the defense. If they can't, it's going to be another 16 very long days taking us into the New Year.

I don't know that I agree with the defense being exposed thing.

The defense was on the field quite a bit last season and had more opportunities to: quote be exposed.

If the offense improves then the defense will be better rested and even if teams pass more against our defense, then it will all equal out if they are playing less snaps.

We will also have more opportunities to get after the QB, so that's a double edged sword right there.

(If) Rucker can hold his edge, then we will have improve our rush defense from last season too.

I think that Hagg is a big key to our pass defense. Adams was a real game'er (loved his effort), but he really was in over his head as our starting FS.

We can't replace Taylor with one guy, but collectively I think that we can hold the fort there and our rookies will gain the experience going forward.

JMJ I think could be the dark horse adding yet another peace to the puzzle.

Lastly this will be year two in our system and you should anticipate some improvement there with not only their assignments, but also with the continuity and chemistry of the unit it self.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image]

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I want a Krazy-straw, and since Hel is from Hawai'i, I bet he'll want some foofy with an umbrella in it.

Hel, if that's your idea of lunch, I'm on the first plane up!

Toad, um, that was somebody else's lunch. If I read the posts right, it said " LUNCH ON HELDAWG " I think you should politely decline that offer.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think this team has some impact players on offense. Watson is an impact player, and MoMass, Cribbs, and Little are going to be threats too.

I think the tandem of runningbacks are going to be better than people will admit. Hardesty, B, Jack and Ogbonnaya didn't suddenly forget how to play football.

I have high expectations for Jon Hughes on defensive line and I think Paxon or Brian will show improvement and .

( Ha! I say to the folks who claim teams sat on leads and didn't expose the Browns defense. )
Did Pitts sit on that 5 point lead for 3 quarters just for fun?

What I do think will be the achilles heel this year will be the pass defense because Mike Adams is a treasure that has dissappeared.

Look at it this way, they're 1-11 in the last 12 so they're do (due) for some wins.

I don't think both Juqua Parker and Frostee Rucker can make this team. Noway they both start.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Parker and Rucker will likely both make the team. Why wouldn't they?

The Browns said that the plan was to have Rucker play DE on 1st and 2nd downs, and to move inside to DT on sure passing downs, while Parker comes in as a pass rusher at DE.

As far as offense goes, we have potential playmakers on offense. Little looks like a playmaker. Cameron has been talked up early on this year. We have Richardson and just added Benjamin and Gordon. That's 5 potential playmakers. Hopefully we hit on all of them, but if we hit on 3 we'll really be doing pretty damn well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt they make the team. Whyy would we sign them to big FA contracts only to cut one of them??

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
mac #707418 07/21/12 07:01 AM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I could very well see the Browns going 1-15 or 2-14.

Sure, there will probably be a win or two against teams that we have no business beating and a loss or two against teams we would be expected to notch a win against.

Week 1 (Sun, Sept. 9) - Home game against the Eagles.
Week 2 (Sun, Sept. 16) - Away game at Cincy.
Week 3 (Sun, Sept. 23) - Home game against the Bills.
Week 4 (Thu, Sept 27) - Away game against the Ravens on a short week.
Week 5 (Sun, Oct. 7) - Away game against the Giants.
Week 6 (Sun, Oct. 14) - Home game against Cincy.
Week 7 (Sun, Oct. 21) - Away game against the Colts.
Week 8 (Sun, Oct. 28) - Home game against the Chargers.
Week 9 (Sun, Nov. 4) - Home game against the Ravens.
Week 10 (BYE)
Week 11 (Sun, Nov. 18) - Away game against the Cowboys.
Week 12 (Sun, Nov. 25) - Home game against the Steelers.
Week 13 (Sun, Dec. 2) - Away game against the Raiders.
Week 14 (Sun, Dec. 9) - Home game against the Chiefs.
Week 15 (Sun, Dec. 16) - Home game against the Redskins.
Week 16 (Sun, Dec. 23) - Away game against the Broncos.
Week 17 (Sun, Dec. 30) - Away game at the Steelers.

And as much as people say that the Browns improved, other teams improved as well. Some certainly didn't improve themselves as much as others, but there were few teams worse than then Browns last season.

It's legitimate to assess how much the Browns improved as a team compared to the competition that we'll face in the coming season.

More than anything else, I think that adding Childress will be the key. If the play selection improves, the Browns might make some headway. If Shurmur's incompetence shows through again, it wouldn't matter who is under center (with exception of a few QBs that are the OCs with a field level view).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

( Ha! I say to the folks who claim teams sat on leads and didn't expose the Browns defense. )
Did Pitts sit on that 5 point lead for 3 quarters just for fun?

Yeah I don't buy that either. If they could've waxed us 41-0 they would have, like they did many times before.

Legend
Legend
I don't have any idea what we have yet. I mean, I know what we're supposed to have, what we're told we'll have. But I don't have any idea for sure yet.

Richardson is supposed to change how our offense is perceived and how they'll need to be defended. We're told that cameron is coming on strong and Smelly will add something. We know we have Watson but will the real Evan Moore stand up.

We know that Little wasn't bad last year and that he's supposed to have physically improved. don't know if his hands will be better. but I suspect they will.

Weeden/McCoy,,,, McCoy/Weeden come on, it's Weeden and we all know it. he's older, but not over the hill, he's a seasoned athlete but a Rookie in the NFL so count on some screw ups. Gonna happen, he ain't gonna be perfect.

We have a new RT on a team that needed one badly to go with a Strong LT, growing LG, Strong C, and a ? at RG. But lots of folks on here and elsewhere felt that Lauvio did a decent job and that Mack will be better because he won't have to cover so much for the young inexperienced guards. Don't know if that's true, but it kinda makes sense.

Then we have the wild cards. Will MoMass finally be what we hoped, what he flashed his first season? Will Cribbs take another step forward, will Norwood get his chance to produce? then there is Gordon? Who knows what we have there. If we get out of him what we got out of Little last season,, wow. This could be fun to watch. Let's not forget Cooper and Benjiman?

Can hardesty stay healthy, will Obie remain, will B. Jacks be as good as he was before his injury last preseason? or will we need to find another RB.

On D, I'm not nearly as worried as I thought I'd be because of Taylor. No doubt, we'd be better with him, but we'll be ok with the Vets we added if and we hit on one of the rooks. Sheard and Rubin will do their jobs just fine.

LB is a toss up. I have no idea where we are. i'm good with Gocong and DQ. but then what. We hear about JMJ but is that OTA hype or is he really something?

I love ward (I know some of you don't) We hear that Hagg is coming on strong but Young is still here and he's not horrible.

Haden is the real deal, But I worry about the other side.

So, I don't have a clue what we'll have, but I have a clue of what we're hoping we have.

Since I put no value on SOS because things change from year to year and nobody really knows, I get the sense that we could be a much improved team. At least it looks that way on paper. and paper is all I got for now.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think this is our year to turn the corner... We will win 6!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
If we win less than 6 games, somebody needs to get canned.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If we win less than 6 games, somebody needs to get canned.

I'll agree with you if we look incompetent. But if we look like a young team that has ability but needs to grow into it,, That's a horse of a different color,, Which is why I always have a problem assigning actions to ONLY the w/l record.

Here's what I mean, and I admit this is hopefully extreme. Weeden, our backup and Whoever our 3rd stringer is and Richardson all go down in the first 2 games. And they are all out for the season and we win 6 games,, I'm gonna look at that as a freakin Miracle. do you still want someones head to roll?

Big time exaggeration I know., But you get my drift. Some combination of guys we count on to make the engine go all go down, and some will call it an excuse. But if all that happens, and you still win 6 games, Someone at the top is doing something right.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I look up and down the roster.I see some promise with the young guys. Then I look at the veterans and thats where I worry. and then I see some guys that are starting based on the Browns did not bother to address it in free agency.

I think the ceiling is high for Little and Sheard. They produced in 2011. They made plays. They passed the eye test.
But I'm not so high on Pinkston and Lauova. I don't see what Heckert likes in them at OG. The Browns averaged 3.6 YPC running behind RG in 2011.
Both guys did not play their respective positions in college.
what was wrong in bringing in a FA to give these guys some competition?
Schwartz has alot to like,but he will struggle like many rookie RT's do.

Richardson I think will be the real deal. But will he be used in a 1 back or 2 back sets? If he has to run behind Marecic,its a concern. Cause Marecic isn't violent.
maybe Hardesty can stay healthy.But Heckert has this thing for falling in love with players and will give up anything to get someone.
Hardesty was not a wise investment.

The TE's are a concern. I don't care what Cameron looks like in shorts and a helmet. He might look like all world with Maivia or rookie OLB trying to cover him.
but he didn't start at USC for a reason.
Evan Moore averaged less than 10 YPC. Watson has the drops. Smith can block.But isn't a threat downfield.

The WR's will be intresting to watch. But I don't see that veteran who has a resume that reads success. I don't see that WR that can pull a young WR over and give him some insight in order to make him better.

Defensively there are too many questions. who in the front 7 can put heat on the QB other than Shread? how did Heckert address this? they brought in a 34 yr old DE who had 1 sack and 10 tackles in 2011.
at some positions you can't go bargain basement shopping.RDE is one. when was the last time the Browns had a force at RDE?
Rucker produced in limited snaps in Cincy. How will he respond with more snaps?
The LB'ers have some promising youth and very average veterans. Too much of a gap to expect anything dynamic out of this group.

The CB position has concerns. Haden needs to rebound after he regressed.
The WR's in the AFC North are fast and big. Do the Browns have a true shutdown CB? who will step up and lineup on the other side? again another question mark.
The Browns need more consistant play out of the safeties. they don't tackle or cover well.
they are the worst starting group in the AFC North right now.
they don't have a ball hawk. any team that has Eric Hagg and Usama Young on the backend cannot consider that a strength of the defense.

The Browns need some contributions from the special teams. Returns, blocked kicks whatever. its needs to create some opportunities.

Last thing,I got a feeling Weeden doesn't play a whole season. He might miss a game or 2. He's a pure pocket passer and the North has teams that can get to the QB. The Browns struggled with interior pass rushes all year.
McCoy was able to avoid sacks cause he can get out of pocket.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We disagree mightily on the OL. Teams overloaded the front and there were still holes for the backs but the backs were to slow to get through the hole or simply failed to find it. Hardesty had zero burst and Obi had no vision. Richardson has burst and vision. Behind this OL with the upgrade at RT, he could have a really good year.

Also Weeden's ability to challenge teams beyond 7 yards will force teams to play this offense more honestly, although they will load up the front just like they did against Colt until he proves that he can beat them.

I don't know how that will translate in the win column but it should produce a hell of a lot more excitement than the 10 pts a game we were putting up last year. Also just having 4 members of the OL together for year 2 and Swartz coming in played in a very similar blocking scheme will have huge impact as will the talent and maturity of Weeden and Richardson.

I am excited to see what these guys can do including Benjamin and Gordon. Man this is the least experienced offense in the history of football that I have ever seen.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Then I look at the veterans and thats where I worry. and then I see some guys that are starting based on the Browns did not bother to address it in free agency.

Well, that makes it pretty damn clear you will never get it. it's as clear as can be that this regime doesn't believe in spending like drunken sailors on FA's. They prefer to build from the draft and almost anyone that isn't delusional will tell you that takes longer, but if done right, lasts longer.

Quick fix FA's are fine if you are a player away. We were much further than that away. we're closer now. Let's see how it plays out.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
People worry about veterans, but we do have some veteran leadership on this team,

On offense, we have guys like Joe Thomas, Brandon Jackson, Ben Watson, Seneca Wallace, Josh Cribbs, and others.

On defense we have guys like DQ, Chris Gocong, Scott Fujita, Ahtyba Rubin, Sheldon Brown, Juqua Parker, Frostee Rucker, and others.

We don't have long established veterans at every position .... but I don't believe that you absolutely need that either. What a team needs is veteran leadership ..... guys to show the younger guys how to prepare, how to work, how to take care of their bodies, and so on. I think that we have some very solid veteran leadership to go along with a lot of youth. This mis could be a very nice mix in the long term.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

People worry about veterans, but we do have some veteran leadership on this team,

On offense, we have guys like Joe Thomas, Brandon Jackson, Ben Watson, Seneca Wallace, Josh Cribbs, and others.

On defense we have guys like DQ, Chris Gocong, Scott Fujita, Ahtyba Rubin, Sheldon Brown, Juqua Parker, Frostee Rucker, and others.

We don't have long established veterans at every position .... but I don't believe that you absolutely need that either. What a team needs is veteran leadership ..... guys to show the younger guys how to prepare, how to work, how to take care of their bodies, and so on. I think that we have some very solid veteran leadership to go along with a lot of youth. This mis could be a very nice mix in the long term.

No question about it. I just get ruffled feathers when folks call the FO out for not blowing the budget on FA's when in reality, that's just not (IMO) the right way to build a team that will last for years.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
No where did I say the Browns should go crazy and over spend in free agency.
its a myth that a team has to overpay in free agency.
after the 1st couple weeks,it becomes a buyers market.
I'm gonna give you a list of guys the Browns could have signed and upgraded the roster and still have money left over.
the Browns were 21 million under the cap as of March 16.
They could have brought in and at least entertained the following..

Tracey Porter. He signed with the Broncos for 1 yr/4 mil
he's slated to start with Bailey

Richard Marshall. 3 yrs/16 mil with the Dolphins. I don't know his signing bonus or 2012 salary.
but either of those guys would have a affordable upgrade over what they have now. and they are still young and experienced.

OG Adam Snyder. Starting RG for the Niners. Can play 4 positions on the o-line.
his contract...5 yrs/17.5 mil 5 mil signing bonus.
Better than Lavaou or Pinkston. He could have given the Browns a legit OG that has started more than 16 games in his career.

Jarrett Johnson. OLB for the Ravens. Rock solid player who was overshadowed by Suggs and Lewis. always around the ball. Better than Fujita, Gocong and Maivia combined. would have been a great mentor for Acho and JMJ.
His contract...7 yrs/ 19 mil
the bonus..he comes over from a team that the Browns always get their arses kicked by.

the Browns could have afforded any combination of those guys.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, maybe you didn't blast them for it, but you were critical of them not addressing needs in FA. And to be honest, that's not actually true. They addressed the Dline. But you can't address every need at once.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
No but if your under cap,spend wisely and bring in guys with good resumes to accelearate your plan without compromising the future.
I'm sorry Rucker and Parker don't excite me.
not having legit established depth on the o-line is bothersome.
No bringing a vet WR to help these young guys bothersome.
do the Browns have 1 WR that can say..'I've had a 1,000 YD year at WR"...
I have played well at this position"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They tried to get some of those positions but were outbid. When you're a team like the Browns you can not go out and over spend on guys when they won't fill all of the holes. They tried, guys like Pierre Garcon got ridiculous money and became out of our price range. So the plan became to have a solid draft, build some more pieces and they can go after a few guys next off season when hopefully the previous draft filled some holes and you are now just a piece here and a piece there away.

And if our o-line stays healthy we are going to have a top 5 o-line. That's my prediction so mark it down now.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Are any of those guys difference makers? Johnson will be 31 when the season starts. Snyder is 30. The other 2 are CB, and I like our top 4 CB, even without counting Brown. I think that the Browns like them too. We have Haden, Patterson, Dockery and Skrine. I don't think that the Browns were looking to add another guy there. Why would you want to do so? What worries you about the CB spot?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Media Predictions

Link Copied to Clipboard