OP Offline
Legend
J
Reds crank out five homers in ninth straight win
Cueto overcomes rocky start for career-high 13th victory
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com | 7/29/2012 1:15 AM ET
Comments (297)

Reds go deep five times in Colorado

DENVER -- The force field around the Reds' recent winning mojo withstood a venerable Coors Field slugfest and a subpar night from the rotation's ace.

It's not often that a team has a five-homer night with a four-run inning and feels fortunate to escape with a victory. But that's what happened for the Reds in a 9-7 win over the Rockies on Saturday night.

"That was a tough, tough, tough game," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "They didn't quit over there and our guys kept battling. You never feel comfortable in this ballpark."

The first-place Reds, who have a two-game lead in the National League Central and are tied with the Yankees and Nationals for the best record in baseball at 60-40, have extended their season-high winning streak to nine games and have taken 16 out of 18. Amazingly, much of the success has come without the help of their best player. They are 10-2 minus the injured Joey Votto.

"I feel like the team chemistry in here is awesome," said left fielder Ryan Ludwick, who hit two homers in the game. "Everyone gets along. I think we believe. Obviously having Votto out of the lineup as long as he's been out and to have the record we have, you've got to believe. We're getting contributions from different players at different times. If you believe in yourselves, it's half the battle."

There has been some variety to this winning stretch -- pitching duels, routs and on Friday, a 3-0 shutout at Colorado.

This time, Cincinnati had to roll up its sleeves and grind one out -- especially after starter Johnny Cueto's first four batters of the game notched hits and the Rockies took a 3-0 first-inning lead.

Setting a career high with his 13th win, Cueto gave up five runs (four earned) and 10 hits over six innings with two walks and three strikeouts. He lost his league lead in ERA as it increased to 2.39.

"It was not an easy night but thank God I did my job. At least I did it," Cueto said through an interpreter.

The Reds used power to get back in game. Ludwick and Todd Frazier each hit solo homers in the top of the second inning.

"Johnny battled big time. He didn't start the game out too well," Baker said. "It wasn't looking too good. We came back and got two right after they got three."

In the third, Drew Stubbs made it a 3-3 game with a long ball to left field. Colorado took the lead back in the bottom half as Cueto gave up two hits and made a his second errant pickoff, which led to an unearned run when Josh Rutledge scored as Michael Cuddyer grounded into a double play.

Instead of homers, the Reds put together a rally against left-hander Christian Friedrich in the fifth. With runners on second and third and one out, Zack Cozart rolled a single up the middle that scored Todd Frazier. Drew Stubbs' single into left field brought home Ryan Hanigan with the go-ahead run.

Reliever Josh Roenicke replaced Friedrich and Brandon Phillips promptly drove a two-run double to the wall in center field.

"Those solo home runs don't kill you, but that [fifth] inning did," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.

Roenicke later allowed Scott Rolen's solo homer to left field to begin the sixth inning.

In a lengthy bottom of the sixth, Cueto gave up a two-out single and a walk that loaded the bases, but he wiggled out of trouble.

"What an offense. We picked Cueto up tonight," Ludwick said. "He can't throw zeros up every time, even though he is pretty good. Really good. If he's not the Cy Young talk now, there is something wrong. Cy Cueto."

The Rockies crept closer against Reds reliever Jose Arredondo in the seventh. Following a walk, Cuddyer hit a 1-1 pitch that landed in the left-field seats just beyond Ludwick's outstretched glove. Bill Bray walked his only batter when he replaced Arredondo, and Logan Ondrusek worked out of the inning. Ondrusek gave up a double to start the eighth and a one-out walk. Sean Marshall entered with two outs and got a big strikeout of Carlos Gonzalez.

Ludwick gave Cincinnati some insurance in the eighth by leading off with his second homer of the game, against Matt Belisle. His 17-homer total is second on the team and it was the first time the Reds had five homers in a game on the road since Sept. 10 last season, also at Colorado.

Even closer Aroldis Chapman had some drama in the ninth en route to save No. 21. Chapman grazed Todd Helton with a 99-mph fastball, gave up Jordan Pacheco's two-out single and a wild pitch, but he struck out Andrew Brown to leave the tying run on second base as the Rockies finished with 10 runners left on base.

On Sunday, the Reds will be seeking their third-straight three-game series sweep. They haven't won 10 games in a row since 1999.

"You don't think about how you're doing it, don't think about how long you've been in it, don't think about when it's going to stop," Baker said. "Just come out and expect to win every day."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/gamed...ap&c_id=cin

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oh my bad refs, I thought it was ok to post twitter when it wasn't used for a rumor.

But anyway, BP said in an interview or something, that Marty will have to shave his head if the Reds win today.

J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Marty’s hair is on the line

During the back-and-forth banter on the team plane with third base coach Chris Speier, Marty Brennaman said he would shave if the Reds won 10 in row.

This happened a couple of weeks ago. The Reds have won nine in a row going into today. Speier and other witnesses reminded Brennaman of the promise when he arrived this morning.

“I’m a man of my word,” Brennaman said. “I’ll do it.”

“Our broadcaster is going to rooting against us today,” Speier said.

“No, I ain’t,” Brennaman said. “I might like it.”

Brennaman said he’ll lose his famous poofy hair Friday in the Reds clubhouse. Homer Bailey has volunteered to man the clippers.

“I’ve got TV commercials to do (Monday), then I’m off,” he said.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Might have to score 10 to get it done with Latos today.

J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Latos was spectacular after I made that comment, it was reverse psychology.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
This season has been a lot of fun.

Can't wait to see a bald Marty Brennaman later this week!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Yeah, um, I'm gonna need you guys to lose a game pretty soon.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

As someone who fears baldness, I wonder if Marty will ever regain the "poof" that he can get out of his hair now. Gutsy move by Marty.

Big D - I wouldn't mind going 3 out of 4 and getting 1 loss out of the way against SD. And getting the Brooms back out this weekend.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE MARTY CALLS!

In honor of Marty Brennaman's 70th birthday this summer, we're celebrating the Hall of Famer with a special "Marty Party" when the Reds battle the Pirates on Friday, Aug. 3.

At the ballpark that night, we'll be playing Marty's top moments on the radio - and it's up to you to decide what those moments are!

We've assembled 70 of Marty's greatest calls and sound clips below, ranging in categories from historic calls in Reds history to off-beat moments that are sure to bring a smile. Cast your vote for your favorites and come to the ballpark on Aug. 3 to see if your choices won!

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/fan_forum/favorite_marty_calls.jsp#tab3

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yeah, um, I'm gonna need you guys to lose a game pretty soon.

Nice jinx.

Legend
Legend
I think that the Reds might just be the best team in MLB, will win all of the rest of their games, and the World Series.

I see no way that this cannot happen.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If they can add Choo some experts may agree.

Legend
Legend
Better pony up big time if you want Choo.

He's signed through next year, and he's gonna bring a heavy bounty if someone wants to acquire him this year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah it wont happen.

Rosenthal says the Reds are going hard after Garza. Could be a great add to an already tough rotation.

I just worry about his health.

J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Quote:

I think that the Reds might just be the best team in MLB, will win all of the rest of their games, and the World Series.

I see no way that this cannot happen.

And you were seriously saying that about the Tribe not long ago.

J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Good. I have no interest in getting Choo.

Legend
Legend
I don't think that I ever said that about the Indians. We had holes. Unfortunately our pitching fell apart in the second half.

At this point I just don't see any team that can touch the Reds. Should be a cakewalk right to the World Series. That's my prediction.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'd be okay ponying up two okay prospects- but none of our top arms- for Denard Span. I know that rumor seems to have cooled down, but the guy is signed though the next three years (the final is a club option) and is a career .285 hitter with wheels. Dump one of the guys in our crowded outfield to make it happen.

I'm okay with Pierre or Victorino if the price is right, but they're one year rentals. Span could be worth keeping for a while.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I'd be okay ponying up two okay prospects- but none of our top arms- for Denard Span. I know that rumor seems to have cooled down, but the guy is signed though the next three years (the final is a club option) and is a career .285 hitter with wheels. Dump one of the guys in our crowded outfield to make it happen.

I think over winter meetings, especially if the Reds lose in the playoffs, Denard Span or Jacoby Ellsbury becomes a Red.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Go Padres.

GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We're up against your boy Kip Wells tonight.

J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Quote:

Go Padres.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Well here we go Reds fan big series against the Buccos. All though if a team wins the series 2-1 the gain is only 1 game. Really the Reds just need to avoid a sweep and everything will be good.

To win the reds need the starting pitching to come back around. I think the reds have their best chance tonight with Latos vs Wandy. The reds have hammered Wandy recently and if good Latos can show up it will prevent the Redlegs from getting swept and that's the ultimate goal.

Anyways let's go Redlegs

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Yes, I'm worried about this series.

Go Reds!!

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:

Tonight's the party and I am getting ready to hop on I-75 South for GABP!

I am just a little pumped....GO REDS!

[Linked Image from i96.photobucket.com]

GO BROWNS!
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
4.5 game lead. Although I am more concerned about the Cardinals than the Pirates.

It would be huge to have the best record in the NL, playing a team coming off a 1 game series, having used their ace already.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Did anyone catch Latos's balls on the postgame show.

https://p.twimg.com/Aza7sigCQAAsQV6.jpg:large

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Haha, yea I did see that.

Apparently it is something they pass around to the player of the game. It was in Ludwick's locker a couple of weeks ago.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
Quote:

4.5 game lead. Although I am more concerned about the Cardinals than the Pirates.

Really? Why? I am and will continue to be concerned with the Pirates. St. Louis does not worry me at this point.

Great game last night.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It would be huge to have the best record in the NL, playing a team coming off a 1 game series, having used their ace already.

Agreed. Cardinals have been underperforming while the Pirates have been overperforming. Pirates are bound to fall, and the Cardinals are bound to rise.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Little bit a hatin' going on in this thread... a couple of you are cool... it'll be remembered.

Much like beaning McCutchen with a 101 MPH fastball in the 9th when you're up 3-0. We'll see what happens.

GO BUCS.

GO ROCKETS
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Nice win for the Reds tonight. The strikeout and then let the batter get to 1st almost really hurt the reds tonight. Good thing the Old men showed up today (Rolen and Cairo).

Let"s see the reds gave the Buccs no Bruce, no Votto, and no Phillips and they Lost yesterday

Tonight was McCutchen's I'm so angry Im going 9 homeruns and there was no Votto and No Phillips again and the Buccos still lost (What a bush league shove by the pitcher who gave up the winning run)

Tomorrow Break out the Brooms. Either way the Reds can either be 4.5 games up or 6.5 games up.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'll pull for the Reds in the NL and the White Sox in the AL (mostly because I have a bet that anyone but the Tigers will in the Central....with the Indians dead and buried, the Sox are my only hope to win a whole meal of food from my nephew).

I could never bring myself to root for a team from Pittsburgh. Never.

Good luck Reds fans.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know there's a lot of Dusty haters out there but I think he should be up for manager of the year after this recent winning streak.

No Votto, No Phillips, staying with Ludwick.

Time to extend the guy.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I know there's a lot of Dusty haters out there but I think he should be up for manager of the year after this recent winning streak.

No Votto, No Phillips, staying with Ludwick.

Time to extend the guy.

Let's wait and see how the playoffs go before we give him an extension. To be honest I feel he will be the Manager of the Year. I think Dusty has 1 big flaw and 1 big advantage. His flaw is that his lineups are terrible, as he will continually bat the same people in the same spot no matter how they hit. Hopefully when Votto comes back he goes to something like this:
Cozart/Stubbs (whoever is hotter)
BP
Votto
Ludwick
Bruce
Rolen/Frazier
Cozart/Stubbs
Catcher
Pitcher

With that said I think Dusty maybe the best people manager in the game. He manages the club house well and he sticks with his guys no matter what. I'm glad recently he's given Bronson the quick hook as it seems once he goes 6 he's out of gas. I think I like Broxton, Marshall, Chapman better but that's splitting hairs and I think his overall bullpen management is good. I cannot stand though sometimes when he puts out his give away game lineup out there.

Overall I think he's an above average manager mainly because of his people skills who would get out-managed by a Tito, LaRussa, Torre..etc. Hopefully he can some post-season success and show me that I'm underrating him.

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

(What a bush league shove by the pitcher who gave up the winning run)

I'll agree, it was at least questionable - but it wouldn't have happened had the umpire not lost his mind in the second inning. Chapman hits McCutchen up and in wth 101MPH heat on Friday, Leake hits Harrison in the second last night - BOTH teams are warned even though the Pirates had said NOTHING or done NOTHING to that point. Then the ump calls Hurdle out of the dugout, Hurdle questions (in fairness probably with some salty language lol) and tosses him. GTFOH. Someone had to do SOMETHING for the Pirates and Hughes took his shot - this team has been the butt of the joke and the "little sister" for two decades and it's got to end.

All along I've been focused on merely finishing above .500... after all it's been since 1992 that that happened - but for the "Divisional" crowd, today is probably a must win game. 4.5 is a lot better than 6.5 at this point in the year. The Wild Card is still out there and doable no matter what happens today and I'm going to be catatonic should they NOT finish above .500. Hopefully Burnett is on his game after beaning the first batter in the ribs (unless MLB takes the wimp route and warns both teams pregame).

GO BUCS.

GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Little bit a hatin' going on in this thread... a couple of you are cool... it'll be remembered.

Much like beaning McCutchen with a 101 MPH fastball in the 9th when you're up 3-0. We'll see what happens.

GO BUCS.

Not trying to "hate". Just stating my honest opinion that the Pirates are overachieving. According to the pythagorean expectation, they should have 57 wins instead of 60.

J
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J
LOL, well, with all do respect to the pythagorean expectation, I think the Pirates are the better team. Again, I'm not that worried about St. Louis at this point.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
What in the hell is the pythagorean expectation?

Thank You, New York, for giving us Burnett. 14-3 and our true stopper... though perhaps the pythagorean expectation points towards a comedown.

Good series, Reds fans... see you again in September.

GO BUCS.

GO ROCKETS
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Reds Go For 10 In A Row!!

Link Copied to Clipboard