Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
How in the hell does something like this happen?

(CNN) -- The U.S. Navy said its guided missile destroyer collided with a Japanese-owned oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz early Sunday morning.

No one was injured in the collision that occurred about 1 a.m. local time when the USS Porter collided with the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan, the Navy said in a statement.

The Navy did not provide details about the collision, saying only the accident was not related to combat. It said the incident is under investigation.

Damage to the USS Porter was being evaluated, "but the ship is able to operate under its own power," the statement said.

The Navy did not say what, if any, damage the Otowasan incurred in the collision.

The USS Porter, in the Persian Gulf on a scheduled deployment, is assigned to the U.S. 5th Fleet. It is conducting maritime security operations, the Navy said.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
At least no one was killed.

F
Legend
Legend
F
It's not the first collision in the Strait of Hormuz. I recall there being a sub collision in the straight maybe 4 years ago?

It's a somewhat narrow passage on a hairpin turn. It wouldn't take much to mis-navigate the Straight.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

How in the hell does something like this happen?

Without knowing what they were doing at the time, it's all just guesswork.

If it was a simple transit operation where they were just passing through the Strait, then you could easily chalk it up to poor decision making by a junior officer at the Conn.

If they were actively conducting Maritime Interdiction Ops, then it could be a simple mistake by the helmsman, or the Officer of the Deck, if they were trying to bring the ship alongside. If two ships get too close together, at some point the water rushing between them can actually create a sort of suction that pulls them together.... and a destroyer is kinda small compared to a tanker. Even if the OOD recognized what was happening, they could be pulled together before any change in rudder or engines could take effect.

There was no mention of the Captain being relieved, so I would - for now - lean toward one of the less egregious explanations. If it was clear-cut gross negligence, the Navy would not blink an eye at replacing the Captain.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Based on this story, it sound like the tanker collided with the destroyer, not the other way around

LINK
Quote:

(Reuters) - An oil tanker collided with a U.S. Navy ship near the Strait of Hormuz on Sunday but no one was hurt and shipping traffic in the waterway, through which 40 percent of the world's seaborne oil exports pass, was not affected, officials said.

"Both vessels are okay and the Strait of Hormuz is not closed, and business is as usual there," an Oman coastguard official told Reuters, declining to be named.

The Bahrain-based U.S. Fifth Fleet said the Panamanian-flagged, Japanese-owned bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan collided with the USS Porter, a guided-missile destroyer, in the early hours of Sunday.

The navy vessel remained able to operate under its own power after the collision, which was not combat-related, the statement added without elaborating on how the accident happened. An investigation was underway.

Photographs released by the U.S. Navy showed a large dent, several meters (yards) high, in the starboard side of the USS Porter just in front of the ship's superstructure and above the waterline. Personnel hung over the side inspecting the damage.

Tensions have risen in the Gulf this year as Iran has threatened to close the strait to international shipping if its dispute with the United States over its nuclear program escalates. Washington says it maintains naval forces in the Gulf to ensure security in the region.

The oil tanker, owned by Japan's Mitsui OSK, was bound for the United Arab Emirates port of Fujairah from Mesaieed in Qatar, according to ship tracking websites.

(Reporting by Andrew Hammond, Raissa Kasolowsky and Saleh al-Shaibany; Writing by Amran Abocar and Andrew Torchia; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Based on this story, it sound like the tanker collided with the destroyer, not the other way around

I don't see that anywhere in there... I only see that the destroyer lost the Battle of the International Law of Gross Tonnage.

Rules of the Road dictate that in a crossing situation, the least maneuverable vessel has right of way, so no matter what, the destroyer hit the tanker. The one and only caveat to that is if the destroyer was acting as a screening vessel for an aircraft carrier or other capital vessel... in which case that tanker would have received a number of warnings to change course, and possible even had a shot across their bow. Beyond that, there are rules that dictate how each vessel should have responded based upon how they were meeting.

Browns is the Browns

F
Legend
Legend
F
I was making the assumption based on where the damage was on the destroyer.

IMAGES

I guess they could have been heading for them, then turned to avoid, a collision causing the damage to the side.

Legend
Legend
Ahh, gotcha... didn't see those. It does appear that the tanker tried to T-Bone the destroyer, but, that'll buff out
Still, the fault would lie with the destroyer as it can get out of the way a LOT easier than the tanker. Again, with the caveat of if the tanker was trying to steam its way through a carrier battle group, then I'd say that the tanker's captain made an extremely poor choice.

Glad that nobody was killed... I hope that there were no serious injuries.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Rules of the Road dictate that in a crossing situation, the least maneuverable vessel has right of way, so no matter what, the destroyer hit the tanker. The one and only caveat to that is if the destroyer was acting as a screening vessel for an aircraft carrier or other capital vessel... in which case that tanker would have received a number of warnings to change course, and possible even had a shot across their bow. Beyond that, there are rules that dictate how each vessel should have responded based upon how they were meeting.

Gotta disagree, both are power vessels, and unless the tanker declares itself as restricted in ability to maneuver or that it's constrained by its draft (either by day-shape or by lights), they're both simply power vessels.

As to who hit who, it really depends on who's stand on and who's give way (unless they were in a meeting situation, in which both turn right).

At their size, the rule of gross tonnage doesn't really apply as to who has the right of way.

Of course there's another rule that's not in the rules book, kind of a guideline. That is, Navy Warships generally don't worry about the Rules Of The Road. In the end, I think that someone wasn't monitoring Ch. 16 and their radar (or may be the destroyer was jamming the radar, in which case, you'd expect them to call the tanker on the radio). That's going to be a big-time decider. Considering it happened at 1AM, chances are someone fell asleep up there, and they were the only ones on the con. Probably on that Japanese Owned Tanker.

That and we have no idea where in the strait they were operating.

Also, damage to the navy ship on the starboard side make it seem like the Tanker was to the right of them probably, in which case, the tanker has the right of way. If you're the stand on vessel and you manuever, you're generally not supposed to turn left, so damage to the starboard side is kind of an indicator as to that

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 08/13/12 01:32 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I think that you are correct..... you obviously recall the rules much better than I do.

That said, looking at the pictures, I'd guess that the tanker was the stand-on vessel..... but, again, it comes into play whether or not the tanker would have then been crossing into a fleet formation. Basically, there just isn't enough information.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I think that you are correct..... you obviously recall the rules much better than I do.

That said, looking at the pictures, I'd guess that the tanker was the stand-on vessel..... but, again, it comes into play whether or not the tanker would have then been crossing into a fleet formation. Basically, there just isn't enough information.

I better know the rules...... I've got my third mate's unlimited gross tonnage (ocean's) license test on August 20th. lol

Legend
Legend
hah! Nice

Yeah, I was a Boatswain's Mate 2nd Class, but that was in a whole other lifetime
Heck, my Merchant Mariner's card is older than some of the people posting on here (and hasn't been valid for almost as long, lol).

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
I was a ordinary seaman wiper when I worked the ore boats two lifetimes ago..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Jap Tanker was getting to close to the Navy Destroyer...The Japs wanted to see if it said made in Japan on it....

B
Legend
Legend
B
It's amazing how that can happen. You'd think at 1500 yards someone would make a call to change course a few degrees.

My thinking is the ship with guns gets the right of way.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When I was in the Navy Ships would get very close to each other..Especially with the Russians and Japs... We would start off friendly then end up flipping each other off and a few rounds from each others small calibers..

B
Legend
Legend
B
That would have been cool!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

hah! Nice

Yeah, I was a Boatswain's Mate 2nd Class, but that was in a whole other lifetime
Heck, my Merchant Mariner's card is older than some of the people posting on here (and hasn't been valid for almost as long, lol).

It's good to hear others have done this before too. Especially from awhile ago. I sort of made a big career change, switching from teaching social studies to working on ships.

What I'm really hoping for is to become a Sandy Hook Harbor Pilot (NYC Harbor Pilot), I've applied with their program and I'm praying I get in. It's ridiculously competitive; I'll be up against Chief Mates, Captains (one guy applying is a Staten Island Ferry Captain), and many other people who have much more experience than I do.

Unfortunately, this is my only shot because I'm 27. They have an age limit, so I can't get more experience and try again. But I've gotten good grades in school and I'm confident in myself, and there's something that makes me feel good about my chances. You know when you have a good feeling?

That's what I eventually wanna do though, hop on ships arriving/departing and move them through New York City's harbor. So I've got my fingers crossed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Have you ever thought about joining the Navy if you get this job ? Don't let those titles scare you...It's all about how well you can navigate a ship.. Trust me..you don't see Captains behind the helm when a ship pulls into port..good luck to you !

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Have you ever thought about joining the Navy if you get this job ? Don't let those titles scare you...It's all about how well you can navigate a ship.. Trust me..you don't see Captains behind the helm when a ship pulls into port..good luck to you !

Unless you're pulling into your Home Port, there's a Harbor Pilot aboard giving the commands coming into port.

It's a great gig to get if you can do it.
If NYC falls through, try New Orleans, Miami, or some other good shipping city. It's a skill you can take most anywhere, may as well try to do it in some nice weather

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

ess you're pulling into your Home Port, there's a Harbor Pilot aboard giving the commands coming into port.

Yes you are correct...They come aboard ..but your top helmsman and the pilot are in control of the bridge.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Unless you're pulling into your Home Port, there's a Harbor Pilot aboard giving the commands coming into port.

It's a great gig to get if you can do it.
If NYC falls through, try New Orleans, Miami, or some other good shipping city. It's a skill you can take most anywhere, may as well try to do it in some nice weather

I'm really looking at Sandy Hook because I'm from the area, and that's where my girlfriend (and in due time more than that) wants to be. I'm a Yankee fan and a Huskie fan.

Plus Sandy Hook has very little to do with Nepotism. All those other pilot jobs are a battle because that stuff runs rampant there (like Deleware and Chesapeake). My best connection is in this area, and most of those jobs you need pilotage before you can start working to become a pilot. You work to get that pilotage, you pass that test, and they don't accept you, and i'd be upset.

Sandy Hook, there's a whole training program. Kinda sucks because the pay isn't good while you're an apprentice, but once you're in the program, you pretty much know that you'll eventually become one.

I'm very good at the whole, you create a path for me to success and I can follow it. That's kind of the scary thing now that I'm getting out of school again. September 28th and I should have my license. I should be done with my tests on August 24th. And then it's like, what do I do now?

I had a blast working on the great lakes this fall on a tugboat on the Great Lakes (working for a company called Andrie). It's a very steady job and they have directTV/Sirius Radio (and i'd get the 6-12 shift, which means, Browns on Sundays!) Food was great, my buddy and I did snack time every night, and one of us would go shopping (me or one of the other ABs), so we always had plenty of snacks. Plus cellphone and internet, which is great because my girlfriend has another semester of grad school in Europe before she comes back finally. So if the Sandy Hook thing falls through, I might go back with them.

But, I kind of want to see what else is out there, so before that I'm going to apply with the big boys first. Transocean, Maersk, SeaDrill, OSG, Crowley.

Even if I got the New York Pilot job, I probably wouldn't start for about a year at least, and if that's the case, I'd probably go back to the people I was with in the fall.

I've also thought about working shoreside and trying to get a job for a shipbrokering company (leasing ships).

There you go though, I'm coming to the end of my path, reaching a gigantic fork in the road, and I'm stuck in my biggest problem, figuring what I want to do out. And I'm as indecisive as it gets, it takes me forever to make a decision about anything.

But i'm not going with the Navy, I can't be away for too long, and once my girlfriend comes back for good (end of February), I want to be home as much as I'm away. I'm kind of looking to settle down. We used to live together, and I miss that a lot; so I'm not going to be away for huge chunks of time (unless I get huge chunks of time off in return). Dating someone who lives in another country, you miss out on all kinds of stuff. Simple things, especially since i'm not single. I mean, who can I go to the movies with? Who can I go to a restaurant with? So yeah, I want to catch up on all of that. So no Navy or some operation that has me working a ton away from home and getting very little time off.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Come on your 27 and your letting a girl friend keep you from living your life..dream job...the other hot girl your going to wish you were with...and that Harbor you want to pilot endlessly...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Come on your 27 and your letting a girl friend keep you from living your life..dream job...the other hot girl your going to wish you were with...and that Harbor you want to pilot endlessly...

lol, the harbor i want to pilot is New York City. It's my home. That's the thing. There's only one naval ship there, The Intrepid. And it's a museum.

Besides, you think they're going to just let me on the USS Ronald Reagan and get a watch running the con? As a direct commissioned officer? I doubt it. Now if I could do that, that would be cool. But operating a destroyer or something (and who knows if i could get that job?), it's not that special to me. Soon the Navy will be doing that, but I think they're going to give the shiphandling over to Coast Guard officers, not guys out of a Maritime College.

I'd rather pretend I'm Captain Picard on a regular ship, do some cargo operations/paperwork, and get a better schedule where I can go home, and do what I've been dreaming of for the past year and a half.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know bro..I'm really hoping the very best for you...And make your dreams into reality..it can happen...Someday I may call you captain Dangerous

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I know bro..I'm really hoping the very best for you...And make your dreams into reality..it can happen...Someday I may call you captain Dangerous

Thanks man.

Actually, I always joke around about starting up my own tugboat company called "Danger Towing".

But yeah, definitely anxious for what awaits come a few weeks from now when I pass this test

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
Quote:

Quote:

hah! Nice

It's good to hear others have done this before too. Especially from awhile ago. I sort of made a big career change, switching from teaching social studies to working on ships.

What I'm really hoping for is to become a Sandy Hook Harbor Pilot (NYC Harbor Pilot), I've applied with their program and I'm praying I get in. It's ridiculously competitive; I'll be up against Chief Mates, Captains (one guy applying is a Staten Island Ferry Captain), and many other people who have much more experience than I do.

Unfortunately, this is my only shot because I'm 27. They have an age limit, so I can't get more experience and try again. But I've gotten good grades in school and I'm confident in myself, and there's something that makes me feel good about my chances. You know when you have a good feeling?

That's what I eventually wanna do though, hop on ships arriving/departing and move them through New York City's harbor. So I've got my fingers crossed.

good luck Petey! I know it is hard to make a decision, esp. when you have multiple good options and you don't know what to pick. I am also glad you understand the importance of stability w/your girlfriend--unlike the Browns.

PS if she is in grad school, she's not the only one...every single person I know is in some form of graduate school.

Go Browns!
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... U.S. destroyer collides with oil tanker in Strait of Hormuz

Link Copied to Clipboard