Next Thread
Print Thread
#713749 08/14/12 03:21 PM
A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
I was online today and at a site about classic cars. I have Win 7 64-bit, fully up to date Windows Security Updates, and ESET 4.27, one of the most up to date scanners. It is the paid version too. I do not run any other AV programs.

I kept getting red flags saying a virus like sirfef and conodex had been blocked and successfully quarantined. Something from Adobe Flash kept popping up at the same time, asking me if I wanted to install. I said no, no, no...I knew at that point it was a virus.

Does the term "quarantine" mean deleted in this case?
I do not have pop ups or toolbars, but my computer is slower to respond on the internet and my desktop icon order has been changed. I changed it back to the way I had it, then rebooted it, but it is the new one.

These are the ones ESET detected and "deleted/quarantined" but I am not 100 percent sure I am safe. I can live with a changed desktop but am worried someone is gaining remote access to my computer.
sirfef.ab
sirfef.w
conodex
"a variant" of conodex..

I went to the quarantine file and removed them from the list. I have not played w/the registry. At this point, the only main concern is a slower internet and desktop icons changed, which leads me to believe someone could have gained control over my machine or something.

Go Browns!
S
Legend
Legend
S
Download malwarebytes from another computer and put it on a flash drive, then install in safe mode on your computer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In a situation like this I would reinstall windows.

It's the only sure way you will know everything is gone.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
quarantined means that it is put in a secure location on your computer and it will not harm your computer from there.

I'm not familiar with that av program, but i know its supposed to be one of the best ones.

Once the files are in 'quarantine' depending on your settings..they will be deleted after a number of days or stay in quarantine.

Then you can either manually delete them, or mark them as a false positive if you know they are legit.

when you say 'removed them from the list' what do you mean?

Did you delete them? I'm wondering if you accidentally un-quarantined them, and activated them.

I would certainly run malwarebytes as suggested, and read up on how your antivirus works, so you can figure out what to do when this stuff happens.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
I deleted them...made sure not to "unquarantine" them....
I'm taking it to a buddy and he'll check it before anything and I'll keep you posted.

THANK YOU to all who have contributed to this thread.

Go Browns!
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
did you delete your internet browser history and cookies too?

Sometimes your icons can get messed up where they all end up in the top left.

I wouldn't stress, your av did its job. Run that malwarebytes program to be sure.

Slow internet could simply be spike in usage as everyone gets home from work too. Since you are thinking about the virus, you are attributing one to the other.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Download malwarebytes from another computer and put it on a flash drive, then install in safe mode on your computer.

This. I use both this and SpyBot Search and Destroy. Both are good, but look for things differently, so there will be things one catches and the other doesn't, and vice versa.

I also use AVG free for anti-virus. Does a nice job.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... quick computer question

Link Copied to Clipboard