2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
S
web page

Falcons to trade QB Schaub to Texans

By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(March 21, 2007) -- A trade that has been speculated on for over a year is now completed.

By day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, "You're my guy."

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this offseason, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

Now they've decided to cash it in.

Shark #71753 03/21/07 01:39 PM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wonder where Carr is gonna end up?

BpG #71754 03/21/07 01:41 PM
A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
Hopefully in a Cleveland Uniform so we won't draft Russell or Quinn.

"I only had a couple of weeks to train, but I'm glad it happened because it gave me a chance to be a Browns player," Bell said.
BpG #71755 03/21/07 01:45 PM
H
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
H
Carr has a pretty high base salary. I believe it is in the 5 1/2 mill range for this season so a team that wants to trade for him would need to be in decent cap shape. It is possible that teams just wait for him to be released and then try to secure his services with a more cap friendly deal as well. If Houston coughed up enough picks, I wouldn't mind moving down to their slot and adding Carr.

Shark #71756 03/21/07 01:46 PM
Legend
Legend
Good. Now I don't have to worry about us giving up a high draft choice for him. Maybe we can get Carr for a discounted price now, a 5th? Wishful thinking I know, I just don't want to draft a QB with our first pick. If thomas isn't there, trade down and get that 19 year old from Louisville, Okoye.

#gmstrong
BpG #71757 03/21/07 01:50 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Who's to say Carr doesn't end up staying in Texas and competing for the starting job? How much does Schaub make? It's conceiveable to keep both.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Shark #71758 03/21/07 01:51 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interesting move. Carr is likely gonna get released. I cant see a team giving up much for him knowing the Texans arent gonna pay him. No more than a 4th.

Pdawg #71759 03/21/07 01:52 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Without a line, Schaub is going to suffer the same fate as Carr. Idiot Texans.............putting $1000 rims on a Pinto.

As far as Okoye goes, I question how he'd fit into the 3-4. He looks like a one-gap, penetrating DT to me, something that the Donks would look for.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
From what I've seen of him, I don't think he will have much trouble at all playing DE in a 3-4. Besides when we fire Crennel and bring back the 4-3 next year he will be perfect.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Without a line, Schaub is going to suffer the same fate as Carr. Idiot Texans.............putting $1000 rims on a Pinto.

Boy....why does that situation sound so framilur

Pdawg #71762 03/21/07 02:03 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Jeez, sorry I brought it up

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

I agree 100%

That is the same reason I think it would be a huge gamble for the Browns to take a QB. Without proper... all QB look the same.

Merth #71764 03/21/07 02:06 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Without proper... all QB look the same.

Thats what Tom Brady's girlfriends say

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As far as Okoye goes, I question how he'd fit into the 3-4. He looks like a one-gap, penetrating DT to me, something that the Donks would look for.
GMAB ...Dallas looks like good fit for Okra...the Broncs are merely waiting to see who we release from now till August

Shark #71766 03/21/07 02:11 PM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
WOW...tell me if i'm offbase, but basically Houston just gave away the small amount of leverage they still had in terms of trading Carr...now, there is 0 question that Schaub is their guy...Carr will be had for cheap, IMO...

man, that was dumb of them...

Browns fans are born with it...
Shark #71767 03/21/07 02:11 PM
Legend
Legend
GOOD, now we can put another rumor to rest

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Actually, Dallas would be the kind of team to take a 19-year old kid, throw him into the starting lineup, and ruin him.

I heard the Donks are looking at Pio Sagapolutele.......

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Actually, Dallas would be the kind of team to take a 19-year old kid, throw him into the starting lineup, and ruin him.

We have different sources..I heard Jerry Sherk.

[Linked Image from media.scout.com]
B
Legend
Legend
B
J/C

It could be Schaub wouldn't extend with Atlanta but will with another team like the Texans......or Browns.

Could be the Browns didn't want to drop to #10 for just a swap of Schaub or surrender a #2 pick, but will drop as low as #8 for Schaub.

Schaub could have been picked up to extend and then ship him here on draft day so the Texans can pick Peterson.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Just a question with everyone saying if we draft a QB we're gonna ruin him.

Let's say we draft a guard on the first day. Is the line STILL not good enough? Hell, what if Bentley DOES come back in October?

What will be good enough for all the OL pimps out there? I'm one too, but I'd have to say there's gonna be enough depth on the line if we invest on the first day in the draft this year.

Last edited by Ammo; 03/21/07 02:21 PM.
Ammo #71772 03/21/07 02:26 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
And another thought.....this move by Atlanta gives them two second rounders....this gives them the ability to move up to say....#3 for a shot at Calvin.

I would move to #10 and have a total of 3 second round picks......all high.....#36,39,44

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not really wanting to pick on you Andredavis4mvp,, your pretty new..

But it seems to me that every time there is a trade involving QB's, that some how some people automatically think it means that some QB is coming here or that Charlie Frye isn't in the mix or that Charlie is the next to be cut or traded,,

Why can't it be that the FO and coaching staff are happy with Frye... and they think he IS the future?

I mean to some of you, that's impossible... but I ask you this,,,,,WHY?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Atlanta could move to #2 with that deal.....maybe even into the Raiders slot.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Why can't it be that the FO and coaching staff are happy with Frye... and they think he IS the future?

They have seen him play?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Not really wanting to pick on you Andredavis4mvp,, your pretty new..

But it seems to me that every time there is a trade involving QB's, that some how some people automatically think it means that some QB is coming here or that Charlie Frye isn't in the mix or that Charlie is the next to be cut or traded,,

He just doesn't have it.

Not terribly accurate, doesn't lead receivers well. Not good with the deep ball. Doesn't go through his progressions properly either. Gets happy feet in the pocket. Runs around when he should step up and make a damn throw.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I would move to #10 and have a total of 3 second round picks......all high.....#36,39,44

I would do that in a heart beat,

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

And another thought.....this move by Atlanta gives them two second rounders....this gives them the ability to move up to say....#3 for a shot at Calvin.

To move up to #2 from #10 would cost 1300 points. That would cost the Falcons both 2nd round picks (980 total points) + their 3rd round pick (220 points). That's a dead-even deal.

To move up to #3 from #10 would cost 900 points, which is both of the Falcons 2nd round picks.

I'm using this an example of why a team wanting Johnson will be trading with us and NOT the Lions.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Quote:

Man, that looks tasty.

[Linked Image from img114.imageshack.us]

Leigh Bodden superfan!
BpG #71780 03/21/07 02:39 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
ok, so does this mean we might look into acquiring David Carr, and/or are we looking at drafting a QB, Russell or Quinn? Between the two, I'm hoping for Russell. We could bring in Anthony Wright as backup and draft Russell; let Frye have his shot and see what he can do behind a supposedly (at this point) decent O Line. However, if Frye looks really good then it's a tought decision as to what direction to take the team in but if Frye looks average or worse then you have Russell, who would be sitting and learning his first season, come in and replace Frye. You let Frye go or try to get something for him, if possible, highly unlikely though. You have Anthoniy Wright as backup and Ken Dorsey could remain as third string QB. DA is not that good, sorry.

The only question I have is why does this move change the draft so much, as indincated in the article? The Texans first pick is 8 or 9 somewhere around those numbers, I see Quinn off the board before then but who knows, would have to be a team that feels they need a QB.

Last edited by Rabidfan; 03/21/07 02:49 PM.

[Linked Image from i89.photobucket.com]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

To move up to #2 from #10 would cost 1300 points. That would cost the Falcons both 2nd round picks (980 total points) + their 3rd round pick (220 points). That's a dead-even deal.

To move up to #3 from #10 would cost 900 points, which is both of the Falcons 2nd round picks.

I'm using this an example of why a team wanting Johnson will be trading with us and NOT the Lions.

I'd love to see this happen.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Quote:

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal of this...

ok, so this is laughable and I am moderately surprised...

however, he's got to sign somewhere and Denver is as good a place as any...

ok, this is freakin hilarious...

Probably supposed to go in the McKinley thread...

[Linked Image from img114.imageshack.us]

Leigh Bodden superfan!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I was playing with you regarding the McKINLEY signing..

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Good man!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
People have been mixing up thread like crazy this offseason....

Shark #71787 03/21/07 02:49 PM
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Per FoxSports:

Quote:

The Houston Texans and Atlanta Falcons are on the verge of a trade that has wide-ranging ramifications for two quarterbacks once chosen No. 1 overall in the draft.

The Falcons are on the verge of agreeing to trade quarterback Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-rounders this year, a second-round pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in the 2008 draft.
The move clearly shows that Michael Vick will remain the starting quarterback in Atlanta, quashing reports and rumors at the end of last year the team wasn't married to him as a starter. It also marks what is likely the end of David Carr's reign in Houston after being selected by former GM Charley Casserly with the club's first-ever draft pick.

The deal, which was pretty much agreed to on Monday, has been held up by a few things. Schaub is a restricted free agent and Atlanta, knowing they'd lose him in free agency next year, chose to collect something for him.

The 6-5, 237-pound Virginia alum has only started two games in his career, but his size, coupled with his performances in the preseason, has made him a hot prospect inside the NFL.

Schaub is now trying to work out a long-term deal with the Texans. While the trade is not yet finalized, it's expected to be completed today.

Jay Glazer is a senior NFL writer for FOXSports.com.

That's TWO 2nd round picks, not just one

They overpaid..........badly. A 2nd round pick would have been a fair trade IMHO, but two is a fleecing. Oh yeah, the Falcons now have the 8th pick instead of the 10th.

StOOpid trade Texans.........STOOPID.

So that throws the draft chart out of whack for us possibly getting two 2nd round picks. Something else would have to happen for the math to work out.

going from #8 to #3 is 800. 980 is the total of their two 2nd round picks this year. Teams tend to drop a rounds value when trading NEXT year's picks, so we could do a deal for a swap of 1st round positions, their first 2nd round selection and their extra 2nd round selection in '08.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Hey, I fixed it, OK.... and yes it was supposed to go in the McKinley thread, I got busy with something else and thought I was still in there. forgot that I jumped into the Schaub thread...LOL

Last edited by Rabidfan; 03/21/07 02:54 PM.

[Linked Image from i89.photobucket.com]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I didn't know you were playing primarily because the Cowboys would do something like that, hehe. Think Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson *L*

Rabid

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Quote:

Hey wait asecond Toad, I have 1000$ rims on my pinto.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Swap 1st and 2 second round rounders jeezzz....Talk about overpaying...Look for the Texans to draft Levi Brown...Look for the Falcons to try and move up for Calvin Johnson...

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Schaub to Texans

Link Copied to Clipboard