Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
We play the same basic offense and defense as Philly. (Minus the Wide 9 alignment)

How much is Sims really going to be able to tell them? We haven't even started putting in the game plan for the Eagles yet ......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Anyway ...... the roster as it stands right now:

QB: (3) Weeden, McCoy, Lewis
RB: (4) Richardson, Hardesty, Jackson, Ogbonnaya
FB: (1) Marecic
TE: (3) Watson, Cameron, Smith
OL: (8) Thomas, Pinkston, Mack, Lauvao, Schwartz, Cousins, Greco, Miller
WR: (6) Little, Gordon, Massaquoi, Norwood, Cribbs, Benjamin
K: (1) Dawson
P: (1)Hodges
LS: (1) Yount
DL: (9) Sheard, Parker, Sanford, Rubin, Winn, Hughes, Paxson, Rucker, Stephens
LB: (5) JMJ, DQ, Maiava, Fort, Robertson
DB: (10) Haden, Skrine, Bademosi, Wade, Patterson, Hagg, Ventrone, Gipson, Ward, Young

Suspended: Fujita
PUP: Taylor

Fujita must count towards the roster, because, if I add right, he is the 53rg player. I thought that he didn't. Maybe he counts until the rosters are finalized or something. I'm not sure how suspensions work.

I am shocked that we kept 10 DBs. I am shocked that Sanford made the final roster. I am really shocked that we only kep 3 TE with Watson's injury history. I suspect that once we get things completely ironed out that we'll see another TE added. Once Richardson is 100% ready to go, I suspect that we'll see Ogbonnaya move on.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I hope Cousins and Ventrone never see a snap.

I am a bit surprised that Young is on the team, and we got a Pick for Sims. I thought Sims would make the team.

We are really short at LB.

I would guess that Smelly is bound for the PS.

I wonder what the waiver wire looks like.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Ventrone really made the 53 roster over Sims?

You mean to tell me you can't find better talent than Oniel Cousins?

we have some dumb people in the front office..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
THROW LONG #717541 09/01/12 02:47 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

He just doen't look like a football player out there.

That seems like a fair way to judge talent.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

we have some dumb people in the front office..

Those "dumb people" still know way more than you and I will ever know. All we know is what we see during preseason and what the reporters tell us. These guys know how healthy a player is, how he prepares in the classroom, how well he grasps the playbook, etc.

It is very harsh to judge these guys when they are making these final roster decisions. For all we know Sims was the 54th guy and they hated cutting him.

We only know part of the story, and while they don't know the full story either, they know a whole lot more than we do.

Legend
Legend
Ventrone is a great special teams player.

Look at how our special teams did without him this past weekend. Wonder why he made the team? That's a huge part of why.

Cousins can play any OL position except C. Greco can play any spot. That's why they made the team, and why they will be the 2 active backups on gamedays. Miller will be inactive unless someone gets hurt and he is moved up.

cfrs15 #717544 09/01/12 04:32 AM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Nicely put my friend. When it comes to these players we know a small percentage of what there is to know about each one.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
cfrs15 #717545 09/01/12 04:41 AM
Legend
Legend
Again.. Ventrone shouldn't be on this team..

in regards to the knowledge I have of these players, the front office can't be that great assessing talent with the type of record we have been pulling year in and year out..

And as versatile as Cousins is (rumor by the way, lol.)... he is gonna get Weeden slaughtered if he ever touches the field..

B
Legend
Legend
B
Lot's of talent evaluators around here.

I thought Smelly should make the team, then again, he is a FB, but he could almost fill a H-back role. That's really the only cut I might take any issue with.

The only other comment will be about Cousins. I keep reading we should have kept this guy or that guy over Cousins.

We might have had that other guy played O-line.....but they didn't. I am sure if we find a guy on the waiver wire we like who plays O-line, Cousins may not be on the team for long.

These "final" rosters have a way of changing over the next several days to weeks.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
J/C

I don't attend practices nor can I look these guys in the eye on a day to day basis and see if they get the program. But some of the cuts surprise me. I get that Cousins is versatile, but from the games I saw he is versatile at getting beaten at the LOS.

Smelley looked the part. He may not be a prototypical fullback but quite frankly neither is Marecic. I can't think of a single play he's made in the last two years either by a lead block or a catch.

We need to scrub the waiver wires and look for some guards . . .

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

in regards to the knowledge I have of these players, the front office can't be that great assessing talent with the type of record we have been pulling year in and year out

Come on... You think our poor records were partly due to awesome talent being poorly evaluated and cut from the team?

Sure, you can question the talent being brought in, but I am very confident that our staff, from bottom to top, is more than qualified to determine who should leave. As said already, there are so many factors involved that we don't see. Sure the preseason games show a lot, but there's still so much more. Practice, work ethic, attitude, money, whatever . . .

One more thing, since 1999, how many scrubs have we seen looking like world beaters in the preseason? Couldn't even count them all . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Young brings nothing to the game ``` Sims had big time potential written all over him . Sims also brings it on special teams..

We can only pray that the wavier wire has a back-up lineman on it .. The FO can't be going with Cousins , they just can't be..

Their taking a real chance at TE . Not a big fan of Smith , even if he can block,

Hardesty should be able to be replaced of the Wavier wire also .. He doesn't bring a whole lot to the table

Hate to see a spot wasted on Fujita ..

Oh yea , FB, Marisic , I don't think so .

.................................................................................

.." but I am very confident that our staff, from bottom to top, is more than qualified to determine who should leave.. "

I am not in agreement

Last edited by waterdawg; 09/01/12 08:37 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Not that I expect it, but I won't be surprised to see Usama Young on our cut list.

He needed to be..horrible DB.

cfrs15 #717551 09/01/12 08:50 AM
Legend
Legend
Someone help me out here,, Brad Smelley gets cut but Owen Maricic makes the team? What did I miss.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #717552 09/01/12 08:52 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Heckert at work

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Did Sanford ever make a play? I know we need DE depth...but I'd rather put Schaefering at DE than Sanford.

Paxson over Cameron is odd too. Hopefully Paxson is healthy or will be soon. I liked what I saw in Cameron.

Keeping Fujita?

If I'm keeping Ogbonayaymayab, I'm not keeping Hardesty. They are the same guy...except Obie runs harder and seems to take better care of the ball. I'd like to have seen Thomas in that spot.

I still think Winn gets some run at DE later this year when Taylor returns. Taylor, Rubin, Hughes, Paxson is a solid DT rotation. Winn makes that rotation even more solid...but we need some push at DE.

I would have never guessed we'd go with (3) TEs unless we kept (2) FBs. Very surprised at that.

There is not a LB on this team that cannot be upgraded soon enough for me. And yes, that includes DQ.

I don't see Brown on your list of DBs...so that makes 11 DBs. Looks like we do not have to hold a spot for Fujita?

Young over Sims
Ventrone over Sims
Essentially Ventrone over Gronk/Moore, Cameron/Schaefering, Smelley, Wallace

Yeah...I know...special teams

I think we are set at CB...and could still use some help at S.

Legend
Legend
I thought we may bring back Titus Brown.. He seemed decent when he was here.. idk.

I looked at our LB's on the roster and I can't help but shake my head and think that its gonna be a long long season..

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Cousins can play any OL position except C.

He can line up, but play is another story altogether...

Haven't you watched? He makes St. Turnstile look like an all pro.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
I actually don't think that Ventrone was competing with Sims for a spot. I think that Sims was competing with other young guys like Bademosi and Gipson, and they chose to keep those 2 over Sims. They had an opportunity to trade Sims, so they did. I would further guess that the Eagles called and asked if we were cutting any of our young DBs, and said that they would be interested in trading for one of them. Sims, being only 5'9", was the guy the Browns chose not to keep. Like it or not, sometimes size matters.

I really wouldn't get too attached to Sanford. I suspect that he will be sent packing when we find an extra LB, either on waivers or through a trade. I really don't get keeping him either, but I don't think that he's here longterm.

Ventrone is a core special teams player, and they probably felt that they better keep him given how poorly the units performed when he sat, That's the only thing I can imagine.

The team really liked Paxson from all reports. He was initially tabbed to replace Taylor, until he got hurt too .. and guys like Hughes and Winn really came on.

I don't get the 3 TE situation either. Maybe the Browns feel that they have an opportunity to trade another DB, and then bring back an extra TE.

Keeping Ogbonnaya tells me that they aren't 100% sure that Richardson will be ready to start the season. If he can't go in game 1, and with the injury histories of Hardesty and Jackson, it's not surprising that the chose to keep Ogbonnaya for now.

Evidently I did miss Brown. That makes more sense, because I thought that they were allowed to use that "extra" roster spot when a player is suspended. 11 DBs definitely tells me that they are thinking trade with one of them.

As far as LBs, I suspect that we'll start Maiava, DQ, and JMJ in game 1-3. (as long as everyone is healthy) We are going to be very young at LB, with 2 rookies and a guy who was on last year's practice squad. I'm interested in seeing what some of these guys can do in real games. With only 5 LB, I suspect that all will be active, and the 2 backups will play on special teams.

I really don't get the huge upset over Schaefering. He has played in 37 games as a Brown, and he really hasn't made many impactful plays at all. He's OK ....... but OK doesn't have a long career in the NFL, especially at an impact position. He did about as well as he could have, but he's been replaced. This isn't a move that is going to make my top 50 in terms of concerns.

I hope that we do bring back Gronkowski and Smelley. I think that both guys have potential. I suspect that we will try to get both on the practice squad, and that one might even make the game 1 roster once we make whatever moves we're going to make.

Legend
Legend
yea.. i agree with just about everything u say there..

Legend
Legend
Oh .... and I just had a thought on Paxson.

He might be headed to the new IR list that would allow for us to bring him back this season.

123 Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
jc

So from what I've seen, the practice squad rosters can start today at noon . How long does the waiver process last? I'm assuming we are gong to pick up at least one player off waivers...

oioioioi
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Anyway ...... the roster as it stands right now:

QB: (3) Weeden, McCoy, Lewis
RB: (4) Richardson, Hardesty, Jackson, Ogbonnaya
FB: (1) Marecic
TE: (3) Watson, Cameron, Smith
OL: (8) Thomas, Pinkston, Mack, Lauvao, Schwartz, Cousins, Greco, Miller
WR: (6) Little, Gordon, Massaquoi, Norwood, Cribbs, Benjamin
K: (1) Dawson
P: (1)Hodges
LS: (1) Yount
DL: (9) Sheard, Parker, Sanford, Rubin, Winn, Hughes, Paxson, Rucker, Stephens
LB: (5) JMJ, DQ, Maiava, Fort, Robertson
DB: (10) Haden, Skrine, Bademosi, Wade, Patterson, Hagg, Ventrone, Gipson, Ward, Young

Suspended: Fujita
PUP: Taylor

Fujita must count towards the roster, because, if I add right, he is the 53rg player. I thought that he didn't. Maybe he counts until the rosters are finalized or something. I'm not sure how suspensions work.

I am shocked that we kept 10 DBs. I am shocked that Sanford made the final roster. I am really shocked that we only kep 3 TE with Watson's injury history. I suspect that once we get things completely ironed out that we'll see another TE added. Once Richardson is 100% ready to go, I suspect that we'll see Ogbonnaya move on.

I knew I had 53 without Fujita. You forgot Sheldon Brown, the starting 2nd Cornerback??? Must be wishful thinking on your part.

Looking back, NOW 12 hours later, I'm of the thinking that several like, Juqua, or Brian Sanford, or Paxson, or Lb Robertson, or Gipson or even Hughes, or Winn or Fort or Ogbonnaya/B.Jackson were kept because somebody's gonna have to GO when Phil Taylor and Scott Fujita return to the roster, or else they'll have to go.

I'm Stunned that SO MANY are on IR and does that mean they are completly done for the entire 2012-13 season. Gocong? Benard? and Acho?

Overlooked Sheldon Brown . I can't believe Evan Moore was CUT!!!

Remember when the Browns cut some decent player at tight end probably and decided to go with a young fast guy who didn't make plays from Ohio State who played basketball, Rickey Dudley, I think?

- Evan Moore, + Jordan Cameron = History repeats itself
to Schurmur and the gang.

Sheldon Brown, he's the best Worst player on the team .

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, as noted above, I did miss Brown.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not going to get to high or two down on Weeds this season .. I thought he was a real reach ( first round ) as I had a third round grade on him ..

I got my wish when Lerner sold

Legend
Legend
Well, let's see. I said that we shouldn't get too attached to Sanford ....... and that Paxson was probably headed to IR ...... and Sanford was just waived, and Sanford waived injured ..... headed to IR if not claimed.

Legend
Legend
Take this for what it's worth but the Browns waived-injured DT Scott Paxson and DE Brian Sanford; added DT Ishmaa'ily Kitchen plus LB Tank Carder off waivers.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Just out of curiosity I have to ask...... Do you read the threads before you post on them?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I saw a post relating to Sanford

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just out of curiosity I have to ask...... Do you read the threads before you post on them?

we've all done it. I don't think everyone reads every post so there is bound to be some dupication.. It' s pretty normal I'd think right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Tank Carder is a Brown?

Rose Bowl Man Crush lives on! Hopefully he brings his sweet arm bands to Berea.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000057553/article/seahawks-release-veteran-te-kellen-winslow

Kellen Winslow released by Seattle Seahawks

By Marc Sessler

The Seattle Seahawks have released veteran tight end Kellen Winslow, NFL Network and NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Saturday.

Winslow was part of a wave of veteran pass-catchers brought in during the offseason by Seahawks coach Pete Carroll. The seven-year veteran was listed behind veteran Zach Miller and battling for time with Anthony McCoy. McCoy, especially, showed chemistry with rookie quarterback Russell Wilson, named the starter for the team's season opener against the Arizona Cardinals.

Danny O'Neil of The Seattle Times reported Winslow might have refused a proposed paycut from the team, but the Seahawks couldn't have been thrilled with his limited production in the preseason. His three catches for 34 yards were a far cry from the players we've seen in years past. Multiple operations to Winslow's battle-worn knees put his future in jeopardy.

Winslow failed to win over Greg Schiano and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this offseason after three productive years in Florida that included 218 receptions for 2,377 yards and 12 touchdowns. Those numbers are close to what Winslow did in four seasons with the Cleveland Browns, where he hauled in 219 passes for 2,459 yards and 11 scores.

There were times in Cleveland when Winslow alone helped the Browns create matchup problems for defenses, but he's not that player today. We wouldn't be surprised to see a team thin at tight end take a chance on Winslow, but Seattle has seen enough.

Rambo #717570 09/01/12 07:29 PM
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
All-Cut team: Youth is served; players who can help someone
By Pete Prisco
September 1, 2012
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/20000720/all-cut-team-youth-is-served--#sf

It would be easy to look at some of the big names cut Friday in the NFL and put them on the All-Cut team.

I didn't do that.

I picked guys who I think will be picked up or have some value down the line -- not necessarily for one or two games.

That's why you won't see receiver Deion Branch on this team. But you will see receiver Tori Gurley, who was let go by the Packers. Gurley has potential, while Branch's best football is behind him. That's why Tim Hightower isn't on the team, but Jonathan Grimes is on the team as the running back.

There are some veterans on the team at veteran-type positions, like offensive line and kicker. But for the most part I was looking for young players who were caught in a numbers game.

My All-Cut team:

OFFENSE

QB -- Brian Hoyer, New England Patriots: He lost out to Ryan Mallett, but he can be a capable backup for another team.

RB -- Jonathan Grimes, Houston Texans: The Texans are deep at running back, but this kid flashed some in the preseason.

FB -- Jacob Hester, San Diego Chargers: He has been a contributor as a fullback and running back. He can also help on special teams.

WR -- Tori Gurley, Green Packers: He was caught in a numbers game at a deep position on a good team. The Dolphins, where former Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin is coach, makes sense.

WR -- Clyde Gates, Miami Dolphins: Why is here? Speed. He hasn't played to it, but it's awful enticing.

TE -- Colin Cochart, Cincinnati Bengals: He lost out to veteran Donald Lee for the third tight end spot. He is a capable blocker for a team looking for that kind of tight end.

T -- Trai Essex, Pittsburgh Steelers: He has 28 starts and has played both guard and tackle. There is value there.

G -- Mike Person, San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers are solid at guard, but he could find his way onto an active roster. He's only 24.

C -- Dan Koppen, Patriots: He isn't a kid, but centers can be older. He isn't a powerful center, but he's smart. Some team will pick him up. Could be the Bengals or Cowboys.

G -- Kyle Devan, Tennessee Titans: He has 25 starts the past three years for the Colts and the Eagles.

T -- Mario Henderson, Chargers: He has been a starter for Oakland, but the Chargers didn't think he was worth keeping.

K -- Nick Novak, Chargers: He lost out to Nate Kaeding in camp, but he proved last season that he was capable of being on a roster.

DEFENSE

DE -- Everette Brown, Detroit Lions: This former first-round pick of the Panthers showed some burst in the preseason. He might get another look.

DT -- Dwan Edwards, Buffalo Bills: He is a decent player who has started at times. Just caught in a numbers deal in the Bills' new 4-3.

DT -- Antonio Dixon, Philadelphia Eagles: He has been a starter the past two years at times and should be a player who is wanted by several teams.

DE -- Craig Marshall, New York Giants: He had 1 1/2 sacks against the Patriots in the final preseason game. He has some pass-rush ability.

OLB -- Jamaal Westerman, Dolphins: He didn't really fit in their 4-3 scheme, but should get picked up by a 3-4 team.

ILB/MLB -- Rodrick Muckleroy, Bengals: He lost out to Vontaze Burfict, but he can help a team as a backup and special-teams player.

OLB -- Spencer Adkins, Atlanta Falcons: This fourth-year linebacker started a game last season for the Falcons.

CB -- Donald Washington, Kansas Chiefs: He is 26 and has five starts the past two seasons.

CB -- Dominique Franks, Falcons: He's been a solid backup and can return punts. This third-year player is worth a look for a corner-needy team.

S -- Omar Brown, Baltimore Ravens: He impressed during the preseason and should get a look from another team.

S -- Troy Nolan, Texans: He is only 25 and he has started six games in two seasons. He will have a lot of interest.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it."- Thomas Jefferson on Freedom of Speech
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If I'm keeping Ogbonayaymayab, I'm not keeping Hardesty. They are the same guy...except Obie runs harder and seems to take better care of the ball. I'd like to have seen Thomas in that spot.

I was thinking the very same thing.

[Linked Image]

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/01/seahawks-add-evan-moore/

Seahawks add Evan Moore
Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT

With Kellen Winslow gone, the Seahawks had only two tight ends.

They now have three again.

Per multiple reports, tight end Evan Moore has agreed to terms with the Seahawks. Moore had been cut on Friday by the Browns.

Undrafted out of Stanford in 2009, Moore spent three seasons in Cleveland. He had a career-high 34 catches for 324 yards and four touchdowns last season, appearing in 16 games with four starts.

And he’ll likely be a lot cheaper than the $3.3 million Winslow was due to earn this season in Seattle. Moore also will be a more natural fit, with knowledge of the West Coast offense that the Seahawks employ under Darrell Bevell.

Rambo #717573 09/01/12 10:25 PM
Legend
Legend
So Pete Carroll goes dumpster diving for an oft injured TE. I'll give him this, this one is much cheaper than the last one.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #717574 09/01/12 11:20 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'm just glad that teams are starting to pick up who we cut. Means we are getting deeper.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

Take this for what it's worth but the Browns waived-injured DT Scott Paxson and DE Brian Sanford; added DT Ishmaa'ily Kitchen plus LB Tank Carder off waivers.

Yes!!!

I really liked Carder. He was one my predraft mid round wishes.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sheldon Brown, he's the best Worst player on the team .

Lol love it!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Camp Cuts Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard