Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
Seriously.......why do newspapers just fail on webpages? I was just on a local cleveland print media newspaper, and the adds and scrolls ruin the entire thing. It's slow, ugly, the banner is to big and makes reading articles difficult.

the Anchorage daily news is like that too. I personally think newprint has a natural link to internet news. I, for one, will always prefer the written word over the stupid podcasts that everyone seems to love now.

thoughts? What can people do to find better newsites?

Legend
Legend
I liked Cleveland.com before their most recent upgrade... now some of the upgrades just annoy me.

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hate that news sites are going to everything being a video.

Just let me read the story!

A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
I hear ya! I like actually reading a story.

It was the cleveland.com site that drove me over the edge if you couldn't tell. I have liked that site for years, but the recent stuff is making it difficult to use. I can get the same news other places. I just always liked one site that had local news of all sorts.

I really wish they'd get their act together. I'd love to see great websites from newspapers or they won't survive. That would be a shame, because the central idea of what they are works.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I hate that news sites are going to everything being a video.

Just let me read the story!

Install a flashblocker plugin on your browser. The internet runs MUCH faster when you cut out the crap.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
Oh I do, but then I hear this annoying clicking as it blocks ad attempt after ad attempt. I know I could disable the sound from my blocker, but it's only newspaper sites that it goes nuts.

I know they need to make money, and do so by ads. I also know all other news sites on the web have the same issue, but are not as inempt or annoying in their presentations of ads. I know that maybe even they are going overboard to support the print department? (Though I'd be shocked if more than 50% of their profit came from internet ads). Given that though, they need to stop it, or keep losing readers in droves.

If they just toned it down, and used better tech I'd have no problem with them making money off of ads. The way it is now ruins everthing though.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Newspaper web sites are a sore spot with us right now. We left town for an extended period of time not too long ago, and we stopped our newspaper delivery, as we normally do. When we got our bill, we did not have a credit for the issues not delivered, like they have always done in the past. I called and what I was told was that they no longer give those credits because the paper is available on line.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Try Vindy.com. It flat out sucks. Try searching for news stories there.

The Vindicator, the paper itself, has long gone down the crapper and it's internet variation is no better. In fact, it has been hacked numerous times--google will on occasion alert you to it being a malicious site.

What I lament is the continuing decline of print media altogether.

Legend
Legend
The only thing I go to the Vindicator for is the local news. They usually have the story if I hear sirens or something.

I also check out the local TV station websites when I hear sirens as well. Often I can find information there the next day.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Seriously.......why do newspapers just fail on webpages?

Ahhhh, maybe because they want you to buy papers, where they make their money v reading a webpage where they can't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I know most posters on here are anti smartphone but the mobile versions of sites are much easier to read than the desktop versions.

No adds and your article isn't broke down to 5 pages, it's on one.

F
Legend
Legend
F
True and you can still get it on a PC at mobile.cleveland.com

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Exactly. Wall Street Journal and NY Times have paid on-line subscriptions.

You can have good, or you can have free, you can't have both.

Thomas - The Tank Engine
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You can have good, or you can have free, you can't have both.

Reminds me of the old adage: "There is 'Quality', 'Fast', and 'Inexpensive'.... pick any two".

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Cleveland.com went back to not having that annoying top bar follow you around.

A
All Pro
All Pro
A
j/c
print journalism will be completely dead by 2016, IMO.

all the kids at college majoring in print journalism will have to switch to pr.

Go Browns!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Ummm...no.

There will always be a place for journalism. It may be delivered in ways that we haven't even conceived yet but journalistic content will ALWAYS be here.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Ummm...no.

There will always be a place for journalism. It may be delivered in ways that we haven't even conceived yet but journalistic content will ALWAYS be here.

I agree, unfortunately that place, right now, is behind sensationalist entertainment.

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Why do newspaper websites suck so bad?

Link Copied to Clipboard