Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,245
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,245
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obit...8849_story.html


LOS ANGELES — Michael Clarke Duncan, the hulking, prolific character actor whose dozens of films included an Oscar-nominated performance as a death row inmate in “The Green Mile” and such other box office hits as “Armageddon,” ‘’Planet of the Apes” and “Kung Fu Panda,” is dead at age 54.

Duncan died Monday morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where he was being treated for a heart attack, said his fiancée, reality TV personality Rev. Omarosa Manigault, in a statement released by publicist Joy Fehily.

Actor Michael Clarke Duncan, Oscar nominee for "The Green Mile," has died while being hospitalized following a July heart attack.

The muscular, 6-foot-4 (1.96 meter) Duncan, a former bodyguard who turned to acting in his 30s, “suffered a myocardial infarction on July 13 and never fully recovered,” the statement said. “Manigault is grateful for all of your prayers and asks for privacy at this time. Celebrations of his life, both private and public, will be announced at a later date.”

In the spring of 2012, Duncan had appeared in a video for PETA, the animal rights organization, in which he spoke of how much better he felt since becoming a vegetarian three years earlier.

“I cleared out my refrigerator, about $5,000 worth of meat,” he said. “I’m a lot healthier than I was when I was eating meat.”

Duncan had a handful of minor roles before “The Green Mile” brought him an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor. The 1999 film, based on the Stephen King novel of the same name, starred Tom Hanks as a corrections officer at a penitentiary in the 1930s. Duncan played John Coffey, a convicted murderer with a surprisingly gentle demeanor and extraordinary healing powers.

Duncan’s performance caught on with critics and moviegoers and he quickly became a favorite in Hollywood, appearing in several films a year. He owed some of his good fortune to Bruce Willis, who recommended Duncan for “The Green Mile” after the two appeared together in “Armageddon.” Duncan would work with Willis again in “Breakfast of Champions,” ‘’The Whole Nine Yards” and “Sin City.”

His industrial-sized build was suited for everything from superhero films (”Daredevil”) to comedy (”Talledega Nights,” ‘’School for Scoundrels”). His gravelly baritone alone was good enough for several animated movies, including, “Kung Fu Panda,” ‘’Delgo” and “Brother Bear.” Among Duncan’s television credits: “The Apprentice,” ‘’The Finder,” ‘’Two and a Half Men” and “The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.”

Born in Chicago in 1957, Duncan was raised by a single mother whose resistance to his playing football led to his deciding he wanted to become an actor. But when his mother became ill, he dropped out of college, Alcorn State University, and worked as a ditch digger and bouncer to support her. By his mid-20s, he was in Los Angeles, where he looked for acting parts and became a bodyguard for Will Smith, Jamie Foxx and other stars. The murder of rapper Notorious B.I.G., for whom Duncan had been hired to protect before switching assignments, led him to quit his job and pursue acting full-time.

Early film and television credits, when he was usually cast as a bodyguard or bouncer, included “Bulworth,” ‘’A Night at the Roxbury” and “The Players Club.”

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,831
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,831
RIP


[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,058
That's a shame. I really enjoyed his acting, and his comedy bits on Craig Ferguson's show were classic.



RIP Mr Duncan.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,015
O
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,015
Too bad. He was a funny guy. He died too young.

Having said that, I'm sure I'm not the first guy to think "To be that big you have to have help, and I don't mean a personal trainer." That stuff can wreck a man's heart and I bet if they dig deeply enough they'll see his heart was trashed.

Second, he was engaged to Omarosa? That crazy chick from the reality shows? Jeez...


***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
K
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,151
He's one of the first actors that Ive really grown to love seeing him in things...as well as remember his first big thing, to pass.

Many of the actors that have gone are older than my time to see them in real time, or werent guys I really wanted to see in movies (like Heath Ledger, he was great in batman, but before that i never saw him in anything and went wow thats amazing, if i see hes in it, im gonna be more likely to go see it).

MCD was so good in every role. He was good in action (Sin City), drama (the Green Mile), comedy (2 1/2 Men, the Whole Nine Yards etc), and his voice and looks were unmistakeable.

This is the saddest Ive ever been seeing that an actor has died. I really really enjoyed his stuff...I cant remember ever seeing him in something and thinking ugh...it was always. YESSS...awesome.

Sad day...really is/


"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,284
I won't lie to you guys. I usually don't feel saddened when a celebrity dies. However this is an exception and I feel pretty upset over this.

R.I.P.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
RIP Big guy


I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,234
B
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,234
I still remember, when they announced they were adapting The Green Mile to film, thinking how in the HECK are they going to cast Glenn Coffey. Then, later on, I saw the first pic of MCD in those overalls and my jaw just dropped. He knocked the roll out of the park and we've been treated to all kinds of good work by him ever since.

He proved he could do just about anything. He showed his comedy chops in 'Talladega Nights' and a 'The Slammin' Salmon.' (guessing not many saw that one. Same crew that did Super Troopers...) His Kingpin was, to me, the only really good thing going for Daredevil. And there's a bunch of other stuff I'm not even thinking of . . .

So sad to see him go. I had no idea he was that old, but 54 is still passing WAY too young . . .

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,895
1
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
1
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,895
I had 2 friends work on Talladega Nights and said he was the nicest guy on the set.




"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,887
When they cast him as Kingpin I know many people were angry because Kingpin is a white guy in the comics. After I saw the movie I came away thinking that he was perfect for the part and I don't know any white actor that could of played the part better, from appearance to attitude he nailed it.

I really liked him as an actor, I even watched a few episodes of the finder on Fox 8 Saturday nights because he acted in it.

Sad day.

RIP MCD.


[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,643
A
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,643
Good actor, better human being. RIP

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,936
B
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,936
Indeed. RIP Michael.


[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,583
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,583
Quote:



“I cleared out my refrigerator, about $5,000 worth of meat,” he said. “I’m a lot healthier than I was when I was eating meat.”






irony


Meh.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,660
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,660
RIP "I'm Dog Tiered Boss."

The Green Mile is one of my favorite modern day classics.

Gods Speed Big Fella.


[Linked Image]

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,563
one of my favorite actors... gone way too young...


<><

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,887
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,887
This is truly sad. I can't believe he was only 6'4". I guess being around all the Hollywood shorties is what makes him look like he's 8 feet tall.


Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,234
B
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,234
Hollywood has been making Stallone look tall for a LONG time now . . .

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,566
RIP Mr., Duncan.. I always enjoyed his acting..

Omarosa Manigault,,, is this the same Omarosa that was on the Donald Trump Reality show,,,, the one where he always is firing someone?


NOTE: Never mind, she is indeed the Omarosa from that TV reality show...

Last edited by Damanshot; 09/05/12 12:59 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... ‘Green Mile’ actor Michael Clarke Duncan dead at 54

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5