Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rambo Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
R
Since the return in 99, which regime has been the biggest failure?

Which Regime has been the biggest failure?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/12/12 10:35 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was not expecting to have to hold back tears this early in the morning.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I would actually like to see the stats on these guys before I vote. It should be pretty simple really. Highest win % or playoff appearances to lowest.

Legend
Legend
I don't see the "All of the above" choice.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I was not expecting to have to hold back tears this early in the morning.

i don't have tears, but what do i do with this cracked monitor now?

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Blech... I feel like I need another shower now. How do you pick the worst out of that lot? I went with the first set of losers since they started this mess and we've yet to get ahead of the curve from that point on.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
The first set didn't really have a chance at first. They were thrown into a mess from the word go, and had no chance to even put a full front office together before things started happening as far as staffing the roster of the team.

Butch Davis had a winning season and a playoff berth. He took over the mess that Palmer/Policy/Clark left behind. He cannot be the worst.

Savage/Crennel also had a winning season, but for me, they were the most disappointing. Savage wasted out drafts to such an alarming rate that it is like he never even read a scouting report before he started picking players for us.

Edwards, Pool, Frye, Perkins, McMillian, Speegle, Hoffman, Dunn ..... Ugh.

Wimbley, DQ, Wilson, Williams, Sowells, Harrison, Minter, Vickers, Oshinowo, Hamilton. The best player in this group is a LB who was out for back to back years with torn pecs. Ouch. Wimbley is still in the NFL, as is Vickers, but neither made a lasting impact with the Browns.

Thomas, Quinn, Wright, McDonald, Purcell, Pittman, Steptoe Even a blind squirrel couldn't screw up the Thomas pick. Wright was a decent pick. The rest. Bleck.

Bell, Rucker, Rubin, Hubbard, Hall. Well, we got a fine player in Rubin, but that's it.

So, out of 4 drafts we got DQ, Thomas, Wright, and Rubin. Yea. We also traded for Rogers and Williams. Williams was a 4-3 DT trying to play in a 3-4.Rogers had a good year. He had 76 tackles in his 1st season with the Browns. Then he disappeared with seasons of 36 and 17 tackles. Bleh.

So, in 4 drafts, Savage brought us DQ, Thomas, Wright, Rubin, and one year of Rogers. That's 1.25 quality players added to the team per year. Hell, even if we throw Edwards and Williams into the mis, that's still less than 2 quality players per year added tot he team via the draft and trade. That's a huge fail, the biggest of any front office we've had.

Add in the ineptitude of Crennel, and overall it's an easy choice.

Mangini/Kokinis only had 1 year together, so it's hard to make the case that taking over a train wreck and not turning it around makes them the worst. For all of the mistakes they made, they do still have 3 of the 8 players they drafted still on the roster 4 years later. That's not good, but it looks tremendous compared to Savage's record.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I picked Savage/Crennel.. and for only one reason since they all have been failures. That is the group that I had the most confidence in, that is the group that I thought was going to succeed...

To have a "biggest failure" you have to judge against expectations and I had the highest expectations for them.. and they failed, thus making them the biggest failure.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I went with George Kokinis/Eric Mangini. The people before him can be excused for "growing pains". However, by the time these two got in office, they should have been able to build something. Instead, they had an incredibly dysfunctional relationship, traded draft picks for Jets back-ups and did nothing but set us back, not that the others did much better. It's like deciding whether you want to get punched in the face or kicked in the gut.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
I can't give a 1 year administration the biggest failure mark ... especially, as noted above, when we have almost as many players from their one draft as we do from the former administration's 4 drafts.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Kokinis only had about a month didn't he?

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I voted for the first group. It laid the groundwork for this ineptitude.

They could have built from the lines out, established a running game and built a solid front 7 the first few years of our existence. We should have known that it was going to be a difficult road the first few years. Establish a foundation in order to compete in year 4 and 5.

Instead we drafted terribly with the bevy of picks we had. It's a shame. It could have been different.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I agree 100%... we started this team off on such a horrible start with a ton of draft picks that they basically did nothing with...

but I'll say also I had a TON of confidence/hope in RAC and Savage that they were a close 2nd...

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Mangini and Kokinis and it's not even close.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Mangini and Kokinis and it's not even close.

I disagree.

I think I was more excited during the 3 game stretch (NO, NE, NYJ) of Mangini than I was during the best Crennel/Savage year (2007 obviously)

In 2007 you could tell we were winning games because of the weakest schedule I've possibly ever seen. Any time we played a good team we lost.

And Savage went on to ruin us even more.

Sure theres the 09 draft, and Mangini will never live that down, however he didn't have a Joe Thomas staring him in the face (Matthews Jr not withstanding)

Crennel and Savage.

"Go root for Buffalo"

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL, this is such a silly and depressing conversation because we are arguing on the basis "No way, that guy sucked, but this other guy sucked way more!" Oh, how far we have fallen...

Does anyone have a case for the best regime since 1999?

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

LOL, this is such a silly and depressing conversation because we are arguing on the basis "No way, that guy sucked, but this other guy sucked way more!" Oh, how far we have fallen...

The current one... because they haven't failed yet. And they may be removed prior to fully knowing whether they would have failed or not.. so they might win.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
But they only kept the status quo with the previous regime, who failed. So by virtue didn't they also fail? Oh wait, the magic first year where nothing counts, I remember now.

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

Here is a sad thought, I'm about to start a search for when the last time the Browns sat alone at the top of their division.

Better dust off some encyclopedias.

( for another,) Revisionist history, I know in 07 the Browns won 4+ games to vs opponents that if they had lost they would have fallen out of the playoff race, so I'll consider them playoff qualifiers, just because they met a juggarnaut in a motivated Cincinnati team and lost, doesn't take away that they had won several to keep in that race. ( We still never saw the playoff game the Browns could have won, a home game vs San diego that year.)
facing a weak schedule, when one is vs the NFL, is a weak argument.

Ok going to search.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I know in 07 the Browns won 4+ games to vs opponents that if they had lost they would have fallen out of the playoff race, so I'll consider them playoff qualifiers, just because they met a juggarnaut in a motivated Cincinnati team and lost, doesn't take away that they had won several to keep in that race

can someone please translate?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Which Regime has been the bigger failure?

Obama/Biden

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I seriously wanted to vomit upon reading this.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well they all could qualify as Hoover salesmen!!!

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I voted for Policy and Clark because they set the stage for the ineptness that followed.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Which Regime has been the bigger failure?

Link Copied to Clipboard