Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Nice.

Maryland Democrat quits congressional race amid vote fraud allegations - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mary...e907a_blog.html

A Maryland Democratic candidate quit her congressional race Monday after her own party told state officials that she had committed fraud by voting in both Maryland and Florida in recent elections.

Wendy Rosen, a small-business owner running against freshman Rep. Andy Harris (R) in the Eastern Shore-based 1st Congressional District, released a statement saying that “with great regret, and much sorrow” she was resigning from the contest.

“Personal issues have made this the hardest decision that I have had to make,” Rosen said

Rosen’s announcement came the same day the state Democratic party released a letter to state Attorney General Douglas Gansler and state prosecutors reporting the allegations against Rosen.

“The Maryland Democratic Party has discovered that Ms. Rosen has been registered to vote in both Florida and Maryland since at least 2006; that she in fact voted in the 2006 general election both in Florida and Maryland; and that she voted in the presidential preference primaries held in both Florida and Maryland in 2008,” wrote Yvette Lewis, the state party chair. “This information is based on an examination of the voter files from both states. We believe that this is a clear violation of Maryland law and urge the appropriate office to conduct a full investigation.”

A senior Maryland Democrat said the party had been tipped off this weekend by someone within the party about Rosen’s potential issue. After checking the allegation, the party contacted Rosen on Monday morning and urged her to quit.

Local Democratic committees in the 1st district will now meet and vote on a new candidate to replace Rosen on the ballot. The new name must be submitted to the state by Sept. 27.

Regardless of his opponent, Harris is considered a safe bet for reelection. Though the 1st district was previously competitive — Democrat Frank Kratovil won the seat in 2008 before being ousted by Harris in 2010 — it was redrawn to be safer for Republicans after the 2010 Census.

Voter fraud has been a heated political issue, both in Maryland and across the country. Republicans have frequently accused Democrats of turning their backs on the practice, while Democrats say the GOP uses alleged fraud as a way to keep Democrats from the polls.

“If the Maryland Democrat Party is willing to push one of its own candidates out of the race due to voter fraud, I’m sure this means they will join us in an effort to purge the rolls across Maryland of illegal immigrants, the deceased, and those otherwise unqualified to vote,” said David Ferguson, executive director of the Maryland Republican Party. “It is a sad state of affairs that Democrat voters considered Wendy Rosen to be their model citizen for the First District and represent them on November’s ballot.”

As recently as Sunday, Rosen still believed her campaign was going full-speed ahead.

“My trip to Charlotte was incredible!” she wrote on her Facebook page. “I didn’t get a moment on the floor of the arena ... I spent all of my time hunting for campaign support! Everyone was so helpful from Jan Schakowsky and Ben Cardin to all of the women’s groups, environmental groups, jewish organizations. I feel re-energized for this last 8 weeks! Forward, not Backward!”

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Take you propaganda to the right thread!

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Whoops. Wrong forum.

Please move Refs. I can't delete it since there is a response.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Al Donnelly Wins! Celebrate! Go Chris Farley! Way to sleuth!

Too many voters in Garfield County!

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
What a bizarre thing to do.

One vote simply isnt very important, especially if you are under the kind of scrutiny applied to politicians.

I would leave it at that and ignore any attempts to relate it to competing arguments about voter fraud.

Legend
Legend
At least the Democratic party stood tall and reported it.

Leave it to me to find the positive in a post that nails a democrat right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Online
Legend
That's true, actually.

I credit whoever stepped forward with the information.

In fairness though, it would be far worse if this came out even later, like a week or so before the election. Regardless, they could have hoped to get through the election without it coming out ..... but they didn't.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
linky

Michigan Republican Rep. Thaddeus McCotter resigned from Congress on Friday, a surprise decision that caps among the most madcap two-month periods in modern politics.

The Michigan Republican and 2012 presidential candidate announced his decision in a lengthy and characteristically verbose statement citing his desire to shift his focus to his family now that his congressional career is over. (He also quoted Bob Dylan’s “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue”.)

“After nearly 26 years in elected office, this past nightmarish month and a half have, for the first time, severed the necessary harmony between the needs of my constituency and of my family,” McCotter said on his Facebook page. “As this harmony is required to serve, its absence requires I leave.”

McCotter failed to qualify for the primary ballot after most of his petition signatures were recently found to be fraudulent. State officials are investigating the matter.

McCotter initially opted to run a write-in campaign, but then announced he would not seek reelection.

His statement continued: “The recent event’s totality of calumnies, indignities and deceits have weighed most heavily upon my family. Thus, acutely aware one cannot rebuild their hearth of home amongst the ruins of their U.S. House office, for the sake of my loved ones I must ‘strike another match, go start anew’ by embracing the promotion back from public servant to sovereign citizen.”

McCotter’s bizarre period continued this week when the Detroit News reported that he had written a TV pilot with a rather odd premise — McCotter himself hosting a crude variety show that joked about flatulence and female anatomy, among other things. The script was leaked to the newspaper by a former staffer who thought it unbecoming a member of Congress.

McCotter said in his statement that he will no longer give interviews as the state attorney general investigates his campaign’s fraudulent signatures.

McCotter’s seat leans Republican and should be retained by the GOP. Gov. Rick Snyder (R) does not have to call a special election before the November general election, and it seems unlikely he would do so, given the cost of holding one and the short time between now and then.

McCotter’s is one of three seats that is now vacant. The others are the seats held by former congressman Jay Inslee (D-Wash.), who is running for governor, and the late congressman Donald Payne (D-N.J.), who died recently.

Here’s the full statement:

“Today I have resigned from the office of United States Representative for Michigan’s 11th Congressional District.

After nearly 26 years in elected office, this past nightmarish month and a half have, for the first time, severed the necessary harmony between the needs of my constituency and of my family. As this harmony is required to serve, its absence requires I leave.

The recent event’s totality of calumnies, indignities and deceits have weighed most heavily upon my family. Thus, acutely aware one cannot rebuild their hearth of home amongst the ruins of their U.S. House office, for the sake of my loved ones I must “strike another match, go start anew” by embracing the promotion back from public servant to sovereign citizen.

I do not leave for an existing job and face diminishing prospects (and am both unwilling and ill-suited to lobby), my priorities are twofold: find gainful employment to help provide for my family; and continue to assist, in any way they see fit, the Michigan Attorney General’s earnest and thorough investigation, which I requested, into the 2012 petition filing.

While our family takes this step into the rest of our lives, we do so with the ultimate confidence in our country’s future. True, as at other times in the life of our nation, we live in an Age of Extremes that prizes intensity over sanity; rhetoric over reality; and destruction over creation. But this too shall pass, thanks to the infinite, inspired wisdom of the sovereign people who, with God’s continued blessings, will again affirm for the generations American Exceptionalism.

Truly, it is a challenging and fortunate time to live in our blessed sanctuary of liberty.

In closing, to The People of Michigan’s 11th Congressional District, I can but say this: Thank you for the privilege of having worked for you.”

~ Thaddeus G. McCotter

Please note the Washington D.C., Milford and Livonia will offices will continue to operate under the direction of the Clerk of the United States House of Representatives. Staff will still be available to serve the needs of the citizens of the 11th Congressional District for any constituent needs.

Finally, Mr. McCotter reaffirms his previous commitment to not conduct any interviews until the findings of the Michigan Attorney General’s thorough and earnest investigation have been made public. As a private citizen, Mr. McCotter will reserve comments until this time.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
More voter fraud.

I bet that it happens on both sides. That's why we need voter ID to weed out all we can.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This really has nothing to do with ID, just stupidity of politicians.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Someone said on another that there was no fraud though. None.

If a person can commit fraud this easily, then election laws need to be tightened up. Further, we can't prove fraud, but there has been speculation that people have had their absentee ballots stolen and used. My Mom never got hers last year. She had to vote a provisional ballot, and who knows what happened to her actual ballot. Was it never sent out, or was it stolen? If it was stolen, then did someone else fill it out and send it in? Unfortunately, no one will ever tell us if someone used her original absentee ballot.

This wasn't the first time that my Mom has voted absentee either. She has done so ever since they changed the laws to allow people over 65 to do so.

I think that the Voter Registration agencies should send out letters to all voters listing how they voted in the previous election ..... in person, absentee, provisional, or even not at all, etc. This would let people see if their vote was recorded the correct way. It would also force the election bureaus to look at if anyone voter twice in the same election in the same area. If they had someone listed as voting both in person on a provisional ballot,and absentee, for example, this would be a major tip off to both the voter and/or the election bureau.

I see no reason why we can't get a far better handle on voting, and ensuring that the person voting is actually the registered voter. I have no clue why we can't get a better handle on making sure that people only vote once. These are the kind of things we send Jimmy Carter to observe in foreign countries, yet we still have major questions as to whether or not we have it right in this country. Every stolen vote is one too many, and devalues the legitimate votes of legal voters. It is time to do all we can to ensure that we protect this most vital of our rights.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But she didn't get away with it, she got caught. You are holding up a case where the system worked as an example of why the system needs to change.

I agree the system needs constant improving, but this is a poor example to use to point that out.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
OP Online
Legend
She got caught, not because of the system, but because someone essentially turned her in.

We need to get to the point where this is caught by the system, not by a campaign.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would think the only way to do that would be a national ID program

Legend
OP Online
Legend
And I see no reason that couldn't be done. A national voter ID card, with a national database to check for duplication. Identities could be further verified with Social Security.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
my only concerns would be with cost. Thats a huge program to implement.

KING

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I don't believe so. There are ways to lower the costs .... tie it into the Driver's License and State ID program, and have them expire along with those ID cards. Just add a Voter endorsement, showing that the person in question is an eligible voter.

Voting is our most important right. It is imperative that we protect it by every possible means.

Of course, some people feel that asking for a photo ID is unreasonable ..... even if the government provides it at no charge ......

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

This thread tastes like a ripe fruit from the tree of confirmation bias.

Of course there will be occasional instances of voter fraud. We don't live in a perfect world where everyone does the morally right thing. However, this fraud is not as systemic and wide spread as many claim it is. I doubt even 5% of the elligible electorate has knowingly committed voter fraud.

I just don't see the need for an additional ID. Why don't we train poll volunteers/workers in a better fashion instead of dealing with an ID that seems disguised as a modern day poll tax? I don't understand why better training methods aren't on the table.

P
Legend
Legend
P
All one would really have to do is issue new SS cards with a photo ID rather than institute an entire new ID system.

But that would be too simple and more "fiscaly responsible". Funny how it all depends on who has the idea when talking about that subject.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

More voter fraud.

I bet that it happens on both sides. That's why we need voter ID to weed out all we can.

\

Well, I don't know if a voter ID would stop voter fraud like what we're reading about here, but I can't see anything wrong with having an ID that shows you are eligible to vote in this country.

I have no problem with a requirement that people have to show proof of their eligibility.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
F
Legend
Legend
F
jc.

What they need to do is scan a barcode on the ballot, and swipe your ID to connect the 2. The computer than can crosscheck to ensure at no time did a person vote twice (such as in the case of stolen/lost absentee ballots).

But the PACs would have a fit that voting could be seen an no longer being anonymous, and the database could be abused.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think they should just implant bar codes under our skin and be done with it. Maybe even a trackibg device while they're at it!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't think an additional ID is necessary. There already is a process in place where an ID can be obtained. What makes me sick is that there are citizens in other countries who travel many miles and risk their lives to exercise their right to vote....and here people are screaming discrimination for being required to show an ID and having to vote on a particular day.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
The republicans are without a doubt trying to suppress the vote of democratic supporters with this voter ID thing, only the most naive can't see that. But the democrats would do the same thing if the tables were turned, there is no doubt in my mind. Business as usual.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Why is it so unreasonable to expect people to have an ID to vote when you need 2 forms of ID just to legally hold a job ...... need an ID to get into either party's Convention ..... need an ID to rent a car .... to buy a car ...... to cash a paycheck or government check ...... to sign up for government benefits ....... and so on?

How is this suppressing the vote when you need an ID to do almost anything else. Is it really that damned hard to go get an ID, especially when many states are giving them to poor people for F R E E? Man ..... voting is too damned important a right to allow it to go unprotected.

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
The only type of fraud these laws will prevent are impersonation, which is virtually non-existent*. If they were really interested in voter fraud, they would focus on electronic manipulation, registration fraud, and absentee ballots, not in person voting and identification. But they aren't really interested in voter fraud at all.

0.00000013%* impersonation fraud rate (yes, 8 decimal places), while 10% of people in the country are estimated as not having proper identification to vote. Guess who these people are? The poor, the young, and minorities. Guess who they vote for typically? Not rich old white guys.

This has been talked about ad nauseam here, and evidence has been provided, rhetoric has been spewed, distrust of anything not reported by a conservative outlet has been shown, etc etc. Its tiresome. I've read this board long enough to know that you're going to believe voter fraud is a serious problem because its been repeated by conservative public figures so many times its rooted deep in the base, and because of confirmation bias, so I cited the facts and that's that, I'm not going to try to convince you to look at them and apply critical thinking skills. Back to your regularly scheduled ignorance. Nothing to see here. I've given up on you.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here is a little challenge

Begin here, and try to figure out where your local office is to get your photo id

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/centers/licenseidcenter.shtml

Now think about this if you were not computer literate.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I usually just use the phone book.

Either that or I plug it into the Yellow Pages site. It's not that difficult.

http://www.yellowpages.com/struthers-oh/...+license+bureau

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I would also add that in Youngstown, during the last Presidential election, they had early voting at the Board of Elections. People of all races, creeds, and colors were lined up out the doors every day they had early voting. People managed to figure out where to early vote, because it was important to them.

All of the excuses why it can't work are just that .... excuses.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The only type of fraud these laws will prevent are impersonation, which is virtually non-existent*. If they were really interested in voter fraud, they would focus on electronic manipulation, registration fraud, and absentee ballots, not in person voting and identification.

An ID requirement would prevent the people who commit registration and other fraud from voting numerous times. So it's not just to prevent "impersonation". As far as your other argument, it's laughable to think that obtaining an ID is some sort of hardship. An ID is required to receive government benefits, and all of the people you said would be affected are probably receiving them....so they don't even have to obtain an ID as they already have one. The only people that don't have an ID are those that most likely couldn't legally vote in the first place. I do agree that those folks would most likely vote for Obama.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Link

Quote:

A federal court in Washington ruled on Thursday that a Texas Voter ID law violates the Voting Rights Act, effectively blocking the law from taking effect.

The unanimous three judge district court ruled, "The State of Texas enacted a voter ID law that - at least to our knowledge - is the most stringent in the country. That law will almost certainly have retrogressive effect: it imposes strict, unforgiving burdens on the poor, and racial minorities in Texas are disproportionately likely to live in poverty."

In the weeks leading up to the election, the law - passed by a Republican-led Texas legislature - has gained particular attention as supporters said it was meant to protect voter integrity, while critics claimed it would lead to voter suppression. The Voter ID law requires people voting in person to provide certain government-issued photo IDs when the come to the polls.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott released a statement today vowing to appeal the decision. "The Supreme Court of the United States has already upheld Voter ID laws as a constitutional method of ensuring integrity at the ballot box. Today's decision is wrong on the law and improperly prevents Texas from implementing the same type of ballot integrity safeguards that are employed by Georgia and Indiana - and were upheld by the Supreme Court. The State will appeal this decision to the U.S. Supreme Court, where we are confident we will prevail."

The law was passed in 2011, but was subject to approval by federal officials as required by the Voting Rights Act (VRA). Section 5 of the VRA requires certain jurisdictions with a history of voter discrimination to "pre-clear" any changes to voting laws with the Department of Justice or a federal Court in Washington. Covered jurisdictions include 9 states and parts of 7 additional states.

Judge David Tatel, in writing the opinion, said today that under Section 5 the burden was on Texas to show that the law would not be harmful. Tatel said, "Uncontested record evidence conclusively shows that the implicit costs of obtaining [qualifying ID] will fall most heavily on the poor and that a disproportionately high percentage of African Americans and Hispanics in Texas live in poverty."

The case has been of interest to election law experts because not only is Abbott defending his state's voter ID law, but Texas is also challenging the constitutionality of Section 5.

"The Texas case is important because it focuses attention on the potentially racial disparate impact of the laws, and it also highlights how some rules apply to some states and not to others," said Nathaniel Persily of Columbia Law School.

In court papers, Texas argued that the voter ID law was designed to help detect illegal conduct at the polling place, deter those who attempt to illegally interfere with the democratic process, and prevent election fraud in the future.
"Requiring a photo ID to vote does not impose a legally significant burden because proving one's identity with a photo ID is a routine feature of modern life," Abbott wrote.

But the Department of Justice said that instances of in-person voter impersonation are "exceedingly rare" and that while current Texas law permits 8 categories of photo and non-photo ID, the new law permits only 4 narrower categories of photo ID.

"On a background of growing Hispanic population and voting strength, and a history of racial discrimination not abandoned until federal intervention, the Texas Legislature used deviations from ordinary legislative procedure to pass a voter identification law whose restrictions exceed those imposed by any other states," wrote Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez of the Department of Justice.

Perez said that the "state of Texas has failed to carry its burden under Section 5 to prove that the [law ] neither has the purpose nor will have the effect of denying or abridging the right to vote on account of race, color or membership in a language minority group."

This week in Washington another panel of federal judges is hearing a separate challenge to South Carolina's voter ID law. It was passed in May 2011 and signed into law by Republican Gov. Nikki Haley. Like Texas, South Carolina is a covered jurisdiction under the Voting Rights Act and the law must be pre-approved. The law requires South Carolinians who vote in person to present one of five forms of photo ID. If the voter is unable to present an acceptable form of identification, the act includes a provisional ballot procedure. The ballot will be counted so long as the voter brings the ID to the county board of registration and elections before certification. If the voter lacks a photo ID due to a "reasonable impediment," he may execute a simple affidavit and cast a provisional ballot.

Critics of the South Carolina law argue that a "reasonable impediment" is not clearly defined.

Wendy Weiser of the Brennan Center for Justice, who opposes both the Texas and South Carolina laws, said the bottom line is some Americans won't be able to vote.

"The problem with these new laws is not that they ask people for ID, but that they are inflexible and require people to show a small number of ID's that 21 million Americans don't have. The most common of these ID's is a driver's license, which many older Americans and people of color who do not drive don't have. This country was founded on the principle that we are all created equal and it is wrong to pass laws that deny some Americans the equal opportunity to vote. "

Paul D. Clement, who is representing South Carolina, argues in briefs, "The overwhelming majority of American voters support photo ID requirements as a common sense means of ensuring that those who show up to vote are eligible to do so, (and have not already voted)."

South Carolina argues indirectly that it should no longer be subject to Section 5. Texas makes the case directly arguing in part that other states have been able to enact similar Voter ID laws.

According to Jennie Bowser of the National Conference of State Legislatures, there are a total of 33 states with some kind of voter ID law.

"Most of them," Bowser said, "are not as controversial as the kind of voter ID laws we are talking about in Texas and South Carolina because either they allow a wider range of IDS that in many cases don't have to bear a photo, or because they are not as strict. There is a mechanism for voters without ID to cast a ballot that will be counted."

"There are two main differences between the old laws and the new laws in Texas and South Carolina. First, under the old law, there was a form of ID that didn't bear a photo that was acceptable for voting purposes. Under the new laws you have to have a photo ID to vote. Second, under the new laws, if a voter doesn't bring a photo ID to the polls on election day, the ballot will not be counted unless the voter returns to election officials within a few days to show an ID. Under the old laws you didn't have to do that to get your ballot counted. "

Judge Tatel emphasized that today's ruling applied only to Texas' voter ID law. "Nothing in this opinion remotely suggests that section 5 bars all covered jurisdictions from implementing photo ID laws. To the contrary, under our reasoning today, such laws might well be pre-cleared if they ensure (1) that all prospective voters can easily obtain free photo ID, and (2) that any underlying documents required to obtain that ID are truly free of charge." He mentioned the fact that the Department of Justice had pre-approved a voting ID law in Georgia which requires each county to provide free election ID's and allows voters to present a wide range of documents to obtain the IDs.

So basically, Republicans in Texas are trying to suppress the vote of the poor and minorities in their state by creating hoops for them to jump through. It is outlined, and bolded by me for emphasis, in the article exactly what they did that made their law differ from other voter ID laws that were held up as perfectly reasonable and perfectly legal in other states.

If their goal was to prevent fraud and not vote suppression, all they had to do was make it so those people who's voting ability was affected by the law had an easy and affordable path to obtaining the required documentation/identification. What did they do instead? They specifically made it more difficult by restricting which types of ID's were approved to the ones the poor and minorities were less likely to have.

It was spelled out by the judges for them what specifically made the law illegal. A simple modification to the law to allow the poor and minorities opportunity to obtain proper ID was all that was required. The reason they specified it must be free is because forcing someone who is poor to pay a fee to get an ID just to vote is akin to enacting a poll tax, which is unconstitutional. Instead of doing this and having the voter ID law that would protect the integrity of the voting process that they so desire, they vowed to appeal. Why would they choose to appeal instead of make a simple adjustment? Because that would defeat the whole purpose, wouldn't it?

M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

As far as your other argument, it's laughable to think that obtaining an ID is some sort of hardship. An ID is required to receive government benefits, and all of the people you said would be affected are probably receiving them...

First of all, that is a borderline racist comment. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't meant to be, but to imply they are "probably receiving them" is based on what facts exactly?

Secondly, I've been to places in this country, mostly in the deep south, where people live in extremely poor rural areas. I've met people, mostly older folks, who were born on a blanket to a midwife, couldn't even tell you if they ever had a birth certificate to begin with, probably don't have social security numbers even, don't have any form of ID...why would they? They never had a use for those things. They lived in the same town their whole lives, everyone knows who they are. They used to be able to vote with nothing more than a signature. They aren't impersonating anyone in the voting booth. Now they need to come up with documentation to get an ID so they can vote? How do they get one?

Not everyone who is poor or black lives in a housing project on the government's teat. Maybe you guys just need to get out more.

Legend
Legend
So, you point out the extreme....one single state which enacted the strictest voter ID law in the country to support your point?

The judge in this case actually gave guidelines to amend the law for approval, and supports the voter ID law in Georgia since they provide the ID's free of charge given the proper documentation is provided. Do you support that law?

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
His point was its not happening, my point was that it was. I showed proof to back up my point. The problem is what exactly?

And yes, part of my evidence to support my claim was that after the judge gave them exact steps that would allow ID to be required while also being fair to the poor, they decided to appeal instead. This suggests what their motivation was.

edit: And to your question, I have no problem with requiring ID to vote as long as it isn't being used in a way that purposefully prevents a segment of the population from voting. I'm against poll taxes and literacy tests also. Also not a fan of gerrymandering.

Last edited by Mattack; 09/18/12 05:25 AM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just ask Loretta Sanchez-"Brixey"(D) how she got elected. She only won by 987 votes against incumbent Bob Dornan and an investigation later found that 547 votes were from non-citizens after an investigation. Of course, those 547 were only found because those 547 applied for citizenship. This does not count any illegal immigrants that the INS had no record of.

"Similarly, a 1996 congressional race in California may have been stolen by non-citizen voting. Republican incumbent Bob Dornan was defending himself against a spirited challenger, Democrat Lor­etta Sanchez. Sanchez won the election by just 979 votes, and Dornan contested the election in the U.S. House of Representatives. His challenge was dismissed after an investigation by the House Com­mittee on Oversight and Government Reform turned up only 624 invalid votes by non-citizens who were present in the U.S. Immigration and Nat­uralization Service (INS) database because they had applied for citizenship, as well as another 124 improper absentee ballots. The investigation, however, could not detect illegal aliens, who were not in the INS records."

link

"Among the many abuses it has spawned, the Motor Voter law seems to have enabled illegal aliens to vote—for Democrats, evidence suggests. A 1996 INS investigation into alleged Motor Voter fraud in California's 46th congressional district discovered that "4,023 illegal voters possibly cast ballots in the disputed election between Republican Robert Dornan and Democrat Loretta Sanchez." Dornan lost by fewer than 1,000 votes. "

link

More on Sanchez's 1996 election win.

Article on them dismissing Dornan's challege. - They found 748 illegal votes in a contest that was won by 984 for a difference of 236. I'd place a bet on that I'm sure they would have been able to find 237 more and still be able to locate more, but that is all they found and ruled the election out of Dornan's hands.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Could anyone explain to me how an illegal immigrant casts a vote?

When I last voted in 2004 I had to show an ID and I believe that was connected to my name on some registry.

How are they voting without registering? Or how are they registering without being citizens?

Legend
Legend
If ACORN can get Donald Duck and Albert Einstein registered...and they're not required to present an ID to vote, anything's possible.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

I'm not going to try to convince you to look at them and apply critical thinking skills. Back to your regularly scheduled ignorance. Nothing to see here. I've given up on you.

Ignorance? Because he does not agree with you. Oh...ok.

And you hold yourself out as the overseer and judge of hatred.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How do you respond to the fact that the Pennyslvania GOP Officials (Corbett administration) who supported Voter ID laws testified in court that Voter ID laws would do nothing to prevent voter fraud?

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From the CNN link you posted, there are 748 allegations of voter fraud in that election. The margin of victory was larger than that.

I think you're misunderstanding 748 allegations for 748 confirmed instances of voter fraud. Those 748 allegations could be disproven but Congress did not think it was worth exploring since even if every single allegation was found to be true (very unlikely) then it still would not have changed anything since the margin of victory was nearly 1000 votes.

If on the other hand, they launched a long-standing investigation and found 1-5 cases of actual voter fraud (as every major study in the country has done), then all it does is show that voter fraud is exceedingly rare.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Voter Fraud By Congressional Candidate

Link Copied to Clipboard