Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
This player has been nothing but a wrecking machine this year.
He might be the best MLB in the AFC and easily top 4 in the NFL.
Patrick Willis gets alot of headlines but Jackson is in his league.
He plays the position how its supposed to be played.
He's playing with a bit more aggression this year. I think Armon Binns can attest to that.
Joe Thomas is a legit stud,but anyone of us could have made that selection.
Jackson reminds me of Dave Robinson..a great LB that played on some sorry teams in Green Bay in the 70's.
best MLB in the AFC North.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Joe Thomas is a legit stud,but anyone of us could have made that selection.

Al Davis disagrees with you.

Last edited by OSGuy; 09/18/12 01:36 PM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Ahtyba Rubin in the 6th round is not bad either.

Legend
Legend
I think you're forgetting the best WR in the draft, Travis Wilson.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
I don't totally agree... He's probably the best player on our defense, but remember that Savage drafted him to play in a 3-4, where he really wasn't an impact player. I'm not saying he was a bad pick, but a linebacker that was average to slightly above average at his position at the top of the second round really isn't all that great of a pick.

I would think it was Athyba Rubin, hands down... especially since he was snagged in the sixth round, but Savage was a bit unsure when he took him, so I'm not sure he qualifies. I'll give it to him, though.

Other nominations from me (besides these two) would be:
Eric Wright, pick 57 (terrific player then became a headcase)
Brandon McDonald, 4th Round (was a very good cover corner, bad tackler)
Jerome Harrison, 5th Round (286 rushing yards in a single game... electric, underused player)
Lawrence Vickers, 6th Round (awesome blocking FB. Sorry, he was. Look at the production of the backs we've had when he was in the game and when he wasn't... Harrison and Hillis included.)

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wanted him badly...in fact I mocked him late 1st after a trade down in our annual mock draft, but even I thought he was done after missing 2 years...what a great comeback...last season was pretty good and now he's off to a GREAT start and at 28yo hopefully he has some more of those years left for the Browns. He's signed through 2016, so his 32yo season...that should cover his prime years

That said I still think Rubin was Savage's best value pick...another pick I screamed for 3 rounds earlier....he followed it up by wasting a future 5th on Hubbard, a move I detested but didn't care about because I'd happily burn a 5th and 6th for Rubin...but those back to back moves somewhat are characteristic for Savage, who wasn't as bad a talent evaluator as many on here think...he was hit'n'miss and AVG to below AVG on draft day, which back then was a HUGE upgrade

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
I remember in that draft I mocked us drafting DQ in the 1st and Rubin in the 2nd.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
I just mocked us.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I love DQ, he's been a joy to watch. He seems like a pretty good guy too. You don't hear a peep put of him, no off the field stuff. Rubin too. I'm hoping this thing turns around so those two get a chance to show the football world how good they are. Neither guy takes a second off either. They give their 100% and go home. I'm glad they're on our team.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

I love DQ, he's been a joy to watch. He seems like a pretty good guy too. You don't hear a peep put of him, no off the field stuff. Rubin too. I'm hoping this thing turns around so those two get a chance to show the football world how good they are. Neither guy takes a second off either. They give their 100% and go home. I'm glad they're on our team.

Well said. Another nice thing is he' s been working with the new LB'ers too. Seems to actually enjoy taking them under his wing so to speak.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend

Last edited by clevesteve; 09/18/12 03:09 PM.
Legend
Legend
I just have to call shenanigans on this whole thread.

Everybody knows that when Savage left here, we were completely devoid of talent on this roster and it needed to be torn down and rebuilt.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Everybody knows that when Savage left here, we were completely devoid of talent on this roster and it needed to be torn down and rebuilt.

Lol while that isnt true, it is what happened. Lets hope history doesnt repeat itself.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Lol while that isnt true, it is what happened. Lets hope history doesnt repeat itself.

Oh it's true .. with DQ and a handful of others who are the exception to that.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Actually, Savage was here for 4 years.

He drafted:

Braylon Edwards
Brodney Pool
Charlie Frye
Antonio Perkins
David McMillan
Nick Speegle
Andrew Hoffman
Jon Dunn

Kamerion Wimbley
D'Qwell Jackson
Travis Wilson
Leon Williams
Isaac Sowells
Jerome Harrison
DeMario Minter
Lawrence Vickers
Baba Oshinowo
Justin Hamilton

Joe Thomas
Brady Quinn
Eric Wright
Brandon McDonald
Melila Purcell
Chase Pittman
Syndric Steptoe

Beau Bell
Martin Rucker
Ahtyba Rubin
Paul Hubbard
Alex Hall

Anyway, he had 4 drafts. This is what he gave us. He did hit on a couple of guys ... but overall, pretty disappointing results.

We have no one left from 2005. We have one player left from 2006, one left from 2007, and one left from 2008. His 1st round QB never became a long term starter anywhere. Overall, he hit on a couple of high picks, but really didn't do much in the middle and later rounds of his drafts. (outside of Rubin) I look at the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks, and overall, they did little for the team. Many did not even help on special teams. By the end of his run as GM, the team had maybe 10 players with any real value. Most of those were decent starters, but few who were game changers. Thomas, Rubin, and DQ were the obvious exceptions .... and DQ didn't really fit the 3-4. We had some guys, like Jerome Harrison, who did have a few good games, but little long term production. Wimbley probably would have been better as a 4-3 DE. Some of his picks were OK, they just didn't fit here.

Who were the players that Savage picked up (signed or traded for) and left for the next administration?

Thomas, DQ, Rubin, Edwards, Pool, Wimbley, Harrison, Vickers, Wright, McDonald, Rogers, Steinbach, and Williams.

DQ, Williams, and Wimbley didn't fit the 3-4. McDonald was massively overrated by fans. Wright was a decent CB, who could make a few big plays, and also give up more than his fair share. Edwards was Edwards. Rogers gave the Browns a couple of good seasons, then fell off. His best year was before Savage was gone.

Savage did sign a bunch of free agents, but his drafting overall was pretty pedestrian.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Dqwell Jackson..Savage's best pick ever.

Link Copied to Clipboard