Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
Nothing earth shattering here.... Just thought it was worthy of discussion. Since there's so much blame going on.

Shurmur threatens to sit Greg Little if drops don't stop

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: Sept. 24, 2012 at 02:19 p.m.

Greg Little's decision to strike an Usain Bolt pose after a humdrum catch ultimately wiped out by a holding penalty? Suspect at best.

The Cleveland Browns wide receiver's knack for dropping far too many of the remaining passes thrown his way? Downright fatal from a career perspective.

"We can't play a guy that's going to drop footballs," Shurmur told The Plain Dealer on Monday.

Shurmur isn't a fan of the drops or Little's mini-celebrations deep in the fog of a losing effort to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday. The Browns have one of the league's youngest gang of pass-catchers, and we haven't seen much consistency out of this bunch. Shurmur acknowledged he isn't afraid to make changes.

"That's the reality of it, and so we need to work with them and inspire them to play better," he said. "Am I dealing with that and are we working with that as we go along? Absolutely, but that's not an excuse, that's the reality. So we all need to do better."

The laser focus here has been on the ups and downs of rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden, but part of the problem for the 0-3 Browns is that Little's tendency to drop too many passes has been chronic across the roster. Mohamed Massaquoi is frustrating. Youngest Josh Gordon and Travis Benjamin flash something special then vanish just as quickly. Without that consistent production, Weeden and the Browns are in a tight spot.

Link

Last edited by FargoFan; 09/24/12 02:35 PM.

And the next head coach is ......
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That would be my course of action

[Linked Image]

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Good

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Maybe he should sit himself for dropping the ball on actually coaching this team.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Sit Little, activate Norwood.

When Little becomes golden in practice, then - and only then, reevaluate.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

This!

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

Sit Little, activate Norwood

Exactly. If drops are a problem (and we know the are), at least give the guy with good hands a shot.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

When Little becomes golden in practice, then - and only then, reevaluate.

It seems like there needs to be a shake up on this team.

We saw some of that this week in our secondary (to no avail) with Hagg and Brown.

And I don't think that our OG's should be immunized either.

[Linked Image]

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

It seems like there needs to be a shake up on this team.

We saw some of that this week in our secondary (to no avail) with Hagg and Brown.

And I don't think that our OG's should be immunized either.

I agree totally. Controllable errors and inferior play should not be rewarded with continued playing time. My thought is this: We're losing with you, we can lose without you.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Agreed, but you have to have someone worthy of playing to effectively pull off a shake up.

We have NOBODY that is better to put in at either of the Guard spots.... we are what we are at those positions.
Sadly, the same thing goes for our secondary. When your only two choices are Hagg and Young, you don't really have any choices.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Agreed, but you have to have someone worthy of playing to effectively pull off a shake up.

We have NOBODY that is better to put in at either of the Guard spots.... we are what we are at those positions.
Sadly, the same thing goes for our secondary. When your only two choices are Hagg and Young, you don't really have any choices.

There in lies our dilemma, but if it motivates those who are under preforming, then what other course do we have

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
B/w Little dropping passes and Gordons lack of effort.. I'm a lil' disappointed in some of our WRs...

Mo seemed to step it up but took a step back yesterday due to injury.. just our luck.. Benjamin is doing good. Cribbs is doing good with the few targets he gets.

We gotta get Norwood in there and see what he can do. He can catch, and is shifty as all get out.. He also runs routes VERY well and reads the defenses well too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I think that Shurmur almost has to play Little this week, having put him on notice. If he has another bad game, and stupid antics, then you sit him for a game or 2.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Greg Little's decision to strike an Usain Bolt pose after a humdrum catch ultimately wiped out by a holding penalty? Suspect at best.

Sit him, as others have said, activate Norwood and give him a shot.

On another note, I find it silly to celebrate a single inconsequential play when your behind and time is running out. There's time for celebration when, or IF, you win, until then your play is nothing special, especially if it doesn't contribute to, or lead to a win.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
S
Legend
Legend
S
I hate to sound like old "back in my day" guy but really with the celebrating after a first down?

Hey if you wanna point first down? No big, it's an emotional game, you're not robots and this is not 1960.

But wait until you get in the end one and aren't down two scores to act like a moron.

Legend
Legend
exactly.. he looks so retarded doing it..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Making our starting guards play against the Ravens is punishment. Sitting them would be a reward.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think that Shurmur almost has to play Little this week, having put him on notice. If he has another bad game, and stupid antics, then you sit him for a game or 2.

On one hand, I agree with you, but on the other hand - let practice this week dictate that. He's been put on notice publicly at least as of today, so you can be sure that he's heard about it privately a heck of a lot more.... now, the coaches just need to see how he responds this week. If it isn't hugely favorable, then you sit him and drive the point home.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I don't think he has a choice with the short week. Actually, this is the perfect time for him to say this. Either A) LIttle shows up and actually contributes to something positive, or B) Shurmur has 10 days to move everybody around. Mini bye week if you will.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

exactly.. he looks so retarded doing it..

I was embarrassed for him.

Down 10 points in the 4th quarter and after a drop and lackluster performance.

Foolishness.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Once more today : It's called Evaluating Talent .. .. A serious problem we have had around here since , well 1999

On the same note , lets all remember it is Heckert who brought in Little / Gordon / Lauvao / Pinky and so on ..

F
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
I for one am just glad to hear that Shurmur isn't going to tolerate this kind of behavior.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I for one am just glad to hear that Shurmur isn't going to tolerate this kind of behavior.

Eh, it's too late for Shurmur to get tough. It's coming off as a terrible attempt to cool his seat. And he can't even do this right. Little should be sitting, period. End of story.

Legend
Legend
He even looked uncomfortable doing it himself as it was happening.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
"On the same note , lets all remember it is Heckert who brought in Little / Gordon / Lauvao / Pinky and so on .."

Nah.. No way, Holmgren MADE Tom pick those guys. Like he did when pulling rank for McCoy and Weeden. Hi TOAD ! LOL

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
F
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
F
I'm not suggesting that Shurmur is getting tough. At least (it appears) that he is making a consorted effort to do something. albeit ... something irrelevant.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think it depends on how he looks in practice. If he looks good then start him... if he looks like crap sit him and maybe, MAYBE bring him off the bench.

bad thing is it's a short week.

<><

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

We have NOBODY that is better to put in at either of the Guard spots.... we are what we are at those positions

i liked what i saw out of Ryan Miller in the pre-season. He had a rough go of it against Chicago, but held his own in the other games. He's another rookie in a year of rookies for us, but once he's out-playing these guys in practice, I would hope he gets into the games.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

but once he's out-playing these guys in practice

IF

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

IF

Yep, he's not even active on gamedays when the other 2 backups are healthy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

IF

Yep, he's not even active on gamedays when the other 2 backups are healthy.

well, I was inferring that he must not be yet, and obviously hoping that at some point he does. but, that's okay

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

"We can't play a guy that's going to drop footballs,"

Makes perfect sense. Just like you can't hire a HC who doesn't know how to coach. The man is out of his depth. Has been from day one. Should never have been hired, and will certainly be fired. Just not soon enough. In the mean time we have to choke down this bile they continue to dish out until we get to rebuild AGAIN! So this pathetic attempt to instill some type of discipline in a locker room fraught with dysfunction and completely devoid of leadership is ridiculously futile. The only thing you can count on right now is that we will be picking very high in the draft. Maybe this will be the draft we actually get a receiver who can catch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe this will be the draft we actually get a receiver who can catch.

I made the comment a couple days ago that I watched the FSU vs Clemson game and we could have taken 3 guys from that game and had a better WR corps tomorrow.

I like Benjamin and I think its still too early to tell on Gordon... but catching the ball is catching the ball... I expect a NFL WR to be able to do that. Yes, I expect a young guy to have to learn to run better routes, make better sight adjustments, learn to battle bigger faster DBs, etc... but if the ball hits you in the hands you should catch it, I don't care if you are 22, 27 or 32...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Possible immediate fixes (band-aids)

"Big" Mike Williams
Mike Sims-Walker
Patrick Crayton
Mark Clayton
Plaxico Burress

None would be exceptional, most likely, but all should be able to at least be just as bad as what we're seeing.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In reality, all of this is just symptomatic of a MUCH bigger problem. At its most fundamental, you have a president who phoned in his regime, hired an incompetent coach as some form of nepotistic favoritism, then hired two more head coaches to basically do his job for him, but are basically hog-tied because they have no real power, so no one is really in charge.

We were sold a bill of goods by an over-rated, over-hyped blowhard who is so in love with his own voice, he doesn't actually care what comes out of his mouth, and could care less what happens to this franchise once he's twaddled his fat ass back to the Pacific Northwest. 99% of the fan base bought into this B.S. hook, line & sinker. This is what we're left with.

Dropped balls? Pfh... least of our problem.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hyperbole much?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Shurmur should sit himself for the crappy play calling we have had. This team has not progressed one bit in 3 years. One can argue that "on paper" we have but, the reality is... we haven't.

The way we are going by 2032 we should have the best ranking offense and no fans.

2012 OVERALL NFL RANKINGS
Offense
26th
rushing 87.3 (24th)
passing 209.0 (23rd)
Defense
25th
rushing 122.7 (22nd)
passing 269.0 (26th)
Scored 57 points (19.0/g), 28th of 32 in the NFL.
Allowed 75 points (25.0/g), 18th.
Differential of -18 points (-6.0/g), 23rd.
Expected W-L: 1.0-2.0.
Takeaway/Giveaway Differential 0 (0.0/g), 14th.

Scored 218 points (13.6/g), 30th of 32 in the NFL.
Allowed 307 points (19.2/g), 5th.
Differential of -89 points (-5.6/g), 27th.
Expected W-L: 4.9-11.1.
Takeaway/Giveaway Differential +1 (0.1/g), 13th.

Scored 271 points (16.9/g), 31st of 32 in the NFL.
Allowed 332 points (20.8/g), 13th.
Differential of -61 points (-3.8/g), 23rd.
Expected W-L: 6.1-9.9.
Takeaway/Giveaway Differential -1 (-0.1/g), 15th.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
How is that hyperbole? Looks about right to me.

We were sold that we had multiple offensive "geniuses" on our team between Holmgren, Haskell, Childress, Wipple and Shurmur and collectively they have created one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

How is that hyperbole? Looks about right to me.

We were sold that we had multiple offensive "geniuses" on our team between Holmgren, Haskell, Childress, Wipple and Shurmur and collectively they have created one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Obviously all of them have been successful at some point in their respective careers. They can't make the plays for the players ... they need to be accountable for their play.

[Linked Image]

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Half of those guys are responsible for drafting and deciding to play said players.

you had a good run Hank.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Shurmur threatens to sit Greg Little if drops don't stop

Link Copied to Clipboard