Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I like to break the seasons into quarters, so here are my rambling comments

Offense...

It all starts with the QB, Weeden had a disaster of a first game, but has played well in the following games. I see him improving the rest of the season, as the coaches adjust to his strengths, and players continue to develop. I think the stats will improve as time goes on.

Richardson, He is the real deal, there is just too much talent to deny, I see better production as the season goes forward.

Oline.. a missed bag, and I don't see the improvement that was advertised. Schwartz has not stunk up the joint, and concerns about Lauvao and Pinkston remain. Thomas appears hurt, and Mack has not been noteworthy.

TE and Fullback, Watson does not appear to have the same continuity as he had with McCoy, Smith has been more productive than anticipated. and it appears as though Cameron will get more playing time, which is needed. Marecic has been a disappointment, and I am being kind.

Receivers. ehhhhh..... MoMass has been the best, but Little has been a major disappointment. Benjamin has good production for a 4th rounder. I did not expect much from Gordon, so I am content to see him develop. This is an area that remains a problem, hopefully the production improves.

Defense.

DL. Parker and Rucker have been positive additions. Winn and Hughes have made solid contributions, but I expected better production from Sheard. I am waiting for the return of Taylor.

LB's DQ has been very solid. Robertson has come out of nowhere and is probably the most pleasant surprise of the team. I like his speed and defense in the pass. I have no idea what the deal is with JMJ, but anticipate his play in the future.

DB's... A mess for sure. Haden is sorely missed. Brown has been dinged, and is showing his age. The Hagg/Young/Gipson fiasco should have been fixed during the off season.

Special Teams, I don't think this is as strong of a defensive unit as we have seen before. No complaints with Cribbs, and Dawson has been amazing, but that is really all there is to talk about.

Coaching, a mixed bag, Shurrmur is playing it conservatively, perhaps too much so. The schedule does not improve, and unless the team improves, it is going to be a long season. Aside from the Buffalo game, the team has been competitive, and there is a need to adjust to the strengths of the team.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
JMJ pulled an oblique muscle in the final pre-season game. (where he was, ironically, the only projected starter to play any snaps) IIRC, he returned to practice this past week.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
You are what your record is.
This is not a good football team right now.
They have played some close games. But who doesn't in the NFL these days?

QB.Weeden has alot of yards and alot of pass attempts. But his TD to INT ratio is poor. He's missed open WRs in the end zone. Weeden is not converting alot of 3rd downs.He will be the starter this year,but next year who knows as the Browns will be drafting in the Top 3.

RB Richardson has not disappointed. He's the only relevant threat on offense.
Ogybonna has been solid as a 3rd down back.
Wheres Hardesty? Not in the teams plans.

WR. You get what you pay for. You spend 2 2nd picks on "projects" A combined 18 catches,230 yds and 1 TD through 4 games. Brian Hartline had 245 yds in one game.
Benjamin needs to be more involved in the passing game.
a group that has a bunch of complimentry players,but no WRs that play lights out.

TE. A group that is underperforming in the passing game. the numbers support that.

all in all the WR's and TE's don't have 1 player that has exceeded 200 yards receiving yet. thats not acceptable.

O-line. Its keeping Weeden clean for the most part. But the run blocking has been mostly non existent. Richardson is on pace for 850 yards.
There isn't one player on the o-line who has dominated in any phase.
everyone has regressed other than Schwartz. Schwartz has not played bad at all.

D-line.The strength of the team. Hughes and Winn are playing with high motors.
the run defense is more stout this year. Rucker is playing well. Sheard has not been a factor.

LB Jackson is playing at Pro Bowl level. Robertson has been a good find by Heckert. always around the ball. Plays well in space.

CB..this was a weakness before Haden got hurt. They simply cannot matchup with the big WRs that can run. They don't play physical. none of the CB's can really play the ball well. too many time they are not in position.

S. The worst group in the AFC North. Hagg has already been benched. Ward is not playing like a 2nd RD pick. This is a area that is starved for playmakers.

special teams. very average this year in all phases.

Legend
Legend
I have to say I disagree with people who say Sheard has not been playing well. I think he has been very disruptive. Just because he's not getting the sack doesn't mean he isn't getting his job done. JMHO

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Schwartz has not stunk up the joint, and concerns about Lauvao and Pinkston remain.

The reason I don't give Schwartz anything other than a C- at this point is he's playing what might be the easiest offensive position in the NFL to play (RT). And not only that but he was selected in the top 40 picks.

When you combine those two things (position and pick slot) the fact that no one is sure if he's a long term piece is at least a little concerning. A RT taken that high should be above average for his position from day 1....which I don't think Schwartz has been.

I feel good about DL, RB.
I feel OK about LB, QB.
I feel not so great about OL, WR, DB.

Watching for four weeks my assessment is the Browns are about 7-8 players away from being a contending playoff team. 3 OL, 2 DB's, 2 WR's, 1 LB. The only two position groups on the roster that don't really need addressed are DL and RB. QB is likely a 3rd, pending an implosion from Weeden but we'll have to see how he performs over the last 3/4ths of the season.

I would certainly be on board with trying to find a star at DE (that could take the DL from good to great) but it's not a glaring need at this point.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
For me it's pretty simple, were 0-4...tired of excuses, tired of hearing were batteling every week....bottom line we play to Win...being close hasnt gotten us anything but but an attaboy for media people who dont matter anyway, Tired of the flowery feel good talk, were judged on Wins & losses

0-4....will only get you two things in the NFL....A longer off season and a higher draft pick

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

For me it's pretty simple, were 0-4...tired of excuses, tired of hearing were batteling every week

Tired of it too, but with that said, this is the first year since our return that I have sat and watched with a true feeling like we have a shot at winning. Even during the DA year I never had that confidence. Even down by 1 or 2 scores, I still don't have a complete loss of hope.

Yes, I want wins, but just being able to watch 60 mins of Browns football with some excitement and optimism is a change, and a welcome one at that. I see it as the first step to a brighter future. I never expected it to turn around in an instant, I'm just happy to see signs of a turn around for once, and one that doesn't just look like a flash in the pan (ie: 2007)

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
0-4 says a lot. What it says is what anyone of us should have realized, with half the team in their 1st or 2nd year, this is what you get.

Mistakes.. Lots of dumb mistakes and a serious lack of experience.

People wonder why Fujita and Brown and maybe even Watson are still around and the answer is simple, you gotta have somebody who's voice can carry some weight

I think this is the last year for all three of them. Not even sure if Gocong will ever be back.

Someone said we should have addressed the DB situation but the problem is, you can only do what you can do each off season, something is always pushed to the back burner for next year.

I figure that next year, this team will be made up of 75% 1,2 and 3 year players.. Rubin, Cribbs, Dawson, Mack, Thomas, Rucker and Parker will be the only ones left with 4 or more years.. Maybe McCoy as well. We'll see about that.

So I think we're really getting what we should have been expecting. a young team making young team mistakes and trying to set the tone for the future.

Honestly, I think we are actually on the right track.

But 0-4 is still pretty darn disappointing. I'd have thought we'd have gotten one of those. I know there aren't any moral victories, but we really were close in 3 of the 4 games.. We weren't rolled over and killed by anyone really, but a loss is still a loss.

I kinda figured we wouldn't really know what kinda team we have until about the mid point of the season. Not totally upset or depressed, but not jumping for joy either..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Watching for four weeks my assessment is the Browns are about 7-8 players away from being a contending playoff team. 3 OL, 2 DB's, 2 WR's, 1 LB

I would agree that these positions could all use an upgrade but assuming even just slight improvement in the rookies (even less than anticipated) I would say that we need a starting FS, A veteran presence at Wr (who runs good patterns has good hands - Brandon Stokley type player) and one OG (possibly 2) from being a contending playoff team. With the improvements you are asking for, if we truly upgrade all those positions we are looking at Superbowl contention.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Our opponents this season are 11-5 so far. They would be a combined 7-5 even if they hadn't played us. We've played some really good teams so far. That can only help us down the road.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Agreed. The combination of the caliber of teams we've played so far and our inexperience was not (on paper at leaset) a recipe for success. Yet, I think it is fair to say that we were 2-3 plays away from winning all but, perhaps, the Buffalo game. Before the season, I thought we might win either the Cinci or Buffalo game, but I wasn't particularly suprised we didn't.

What DID surprise me (in a twistedly pleasant way), is how close we played these four opponents. I figured we were good for at least one blowout (Philly or Baltiwhore). Neither happened. Despite the 0-4 record, I think we've seen some good stuff from these kids. There is certainly no quit in them and, at some point, I'm optimistic we're going to surprise a few teams.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Watching Philly play the NYG yesterday, I think we might actually match up quite well this coming week.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Yeah and if we were playing the New York Football Giants on a Monday night, the hair would be standing up on the back of my neck all week.

Regardless, I agree... despite being the defending Super Bowl champs, they look beatable. If we play our best in all three phases, I'd say we've got a shot. That's the biggest question, IMO: can we finally hit on all cylinders for a full 60 minutes? We'll see...

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Our opponents this season are 11-5 so far. They would be a combined 7-5 even if they hadn't played us. We've played some really good teams so far. That can only help us down the road.

You know how I always rail against the whole strength of schedule thing. Well, when you look at the Quarter year mark and the teams you've played are sitting there at 11-5, NOW YOU KNOW your schedule is tough.. What a team was last year has very little to do with what they'll be this year. Injuries, age, etc.. all can combine to change everything.. Make a loser a winner and a winner a loser practically overnight.

So, what your saying makes a ton of sense.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well, when you look at the Quarter year mark and the teams you've played are sitting there at 11-5, NOW YOU KNOW your schedule is tough.

No, you don't know that... until you look at who THEY'VE played. You've got to look more than one level deep before you can begin to decipher the picture.

Browns is the Browns

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Consider also that some of those losses and wins were in head to head games. Cinci has played the Ravens. The Ravens have played the Eagles. (there might be others, I didn't look)

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Well, when you look at the Quarter year mark and the teams you've played are sitting there at 11-5, NOW YOU KNOW your schedule is tough.

No, you don't know that... until you look at who THEY'VE played. You've got to look more than one level deep before you can begin to decipher the picture.

It's an indicator.. in our case, look at who we played.. The Eagles beat us by 1 point and beat the Ravens by 1 point.

Buffalo got blown out by somebody and has beaten everyone else. Baltimore only lost to the Eagles etc. from my perspective, when I said it tells you something, I was right because I kinda took a quick look at who we played and who they played.

I mean, seriously, do the Pats look like the Pats of old, do the Packers look like the packers of last year?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
The point was simple - you cannot judge the quality of our SoS unless you also take into consideration the quality of the SoS of the teams that you are basing the quality of our SoS on.

It's all interdependent, and one sets the base for the other. The specifics of who did what to whom isn't the point, the point was you can't tell how good it is without taking it all into consideration, and you cannot do that by only looking one level deep

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The point was simple - you cannot judge the quality of our SoS unless you also take into consideration the quality of the SoS of the teams that you are basing the quality of our SoS on.

It's all interdependent, and one sets the base for the other. The specifics of who did what to whom isn't the point, the point was you can't tell how good it is without taking it all into consideration, and you cannot do that by only looking one level deep

I get it Purp,, I get it...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
S
Rookie
Rookie
S
Quote:

0-4 says a lot. What it says is what anyone of us should have realized, with half the team in their 1st or 2nd year, this is what you get.

Mistakes.. Lots of dumb mistakes and a serious lack of experience.

People wonder why Fujita and Brown and maybe even Watson are still around and the answer is simple, you gotta have somebody who's voice can carry some weight

I think this is the last year for all three of them. Not even sure if Gocong will ever be back.

Someone said we should have addressed the DB situation but the problem is, you can only do what you can do each off season, something is always pushed to the back burner for next year.

I figure that next year, this team will be made up of 75% 1,2 and 3 year players.. Rubin, Cribbs, Dawson, Mack, Thomas, Rucker and Parker will be the only ones left with 4 or more years.. Maybe McCoy as well. We'll see about that.

So I think we're really getting what we should have been expecting. a young team making young team mistakes and trying to set the tone for the future.

Honestly, I think we are actually on the right track.

Don't forget D'Qwell Jackson.....

Legend
Legend
Oh Yeah,, DQ sure,, he's worthy.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'll save the Bad and Mostly Ugly for others...ok well I have to get my Marecic shot in because saying he's playing terrible and killing our running game would not be doing the topic justice. He's awful. Disgusting. He's the FB's answer to a wet fish limp handshake. He's the worst starting player at any position in the league. He may be the worst player in professional football. He's useless. And I dislike him. And did I mention he's terrible?

The Good...well one of them is that our QB can drive the football. Last year there were times where I was convinced we were playing uphill. Our offense was hopeless. At least now safeties have to be concerned that they can get beat over the top. Because last year those safeties were 15 yards off the LOS in a sprinters stance coming forward. Now they have to respect intermediate and deep possibilities. So that's nice.

0-4 sucks.

[Linked Image]
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The groundskeeper from "Major League" sums it up pretty well.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I think for the most part i agree with everybody on most things.

I'm not terribly impressed or upset with the o-line play. You cant put all the blocking assignment blame on Mack. It's the QB's job as well to adjust coverage and line shifts. Schwartz has done pretty good in my book. He has gone up against some top lvl competition and has done OK. I hope he improves. The guards, I fully expect us to draft a G mid rounds next year no matter how well pinkston/lavaou finish up.

I'm pleased with our RBs. Looks like we have decent depth and TRich is definitely gona solidify the position for us. Marecic, like others on here i dont see his value. There has to be someone better available.

Receivers- MoMass cant stay healthy, Little cant catch and needs his ego put in check, Benjamin- I'm liking his speed and think he could develop into a consistent weapon. Gordon- raw too early to tell if gamble will work. Cribbs- would like to see him at WR more often.

TE- I dont see watson being here next year. Smith and Cameron have developed enough to play full time. I think Weeds really trust Cameron and i hope he gets more pt. Weeds needs someone who he can rely on and look for in crucial situations.

QB- McCoy has had one heluva year so far... no ints. Weeds - i'm glad to see him make some improvements. He has started to develop a good "hard" count and throws a above average deep ball. He still has horrible footwork and continues to stare down receivers. He also needs to develop touch on his short passes, especially screens. Well, he needs to develop some sorta touch on all his passes. Throwing behind and late way too often.

DB's- I think Skrine definitely improved the last 2 games. He should be an asset as the 3rd/4th corner. Like others, I think Brown should be moved to FS once Haden comes back. That would give solid overtop coverage for patterson and skrine. I would also like to see them draft a bigger CB next year but I would focus more on getting another Safety in the draft.

LB's- have played very well for being so young a group. Fujita did a good job against the ravens, but I dont see him keeping his position the rest of the year. Robertson/Fort- great finds, anxious to see JMJ work with this group.

DLine- What can i say, Rucker and parker have exceeded my expectations. Winn/Hughes have played really well. I would like to see Winn moved to RDE next year. He has size and speed to be a threat on pass situations and defend the run. Sheard hasnt gotten the sacks ppl keep haggling him about, but has gotten penetration, been disruptive, and has played very well imo. Overall our best group.

Shurmur- Idk why everyone is so concerned we passed it 52 times against the ravens. It's the ravens!!!! They overloaded against the run and dared us to beat them with Weeden. If Weeds continues to throw that many every game, then there will something to complain about. But for now please stop whining over 52 attempts. I dont like how he doesnt have our best player in the game the final drive. IDC if Ogbonnaya is our 3rd down back, you need to have your best offensive weapon in the game when you go for the game winning drive!!!!

N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

at the quarter pole, we had to guess that we were going to be 0-4/1-3, no surprises. the fact that we have been in every game is a good indicator (I think).

looking back to last season, we are running a similar course to Carolina, who opened with a tough slate and a rookie QB and slowly figured things out and started beating the easier opponents late:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/carolinapanthers/schedule?team=CAR&season=2011&seasonType=REG

they were 1-5 and then 2-8 before rattling off 4 wins in their next 5 weeks. the key point was that they were "in" every game (except Tenn).

i think their defense is worse than what we have but they had Cam (I would actually argue their offense as a whole is just as bad but Cam can make up for alot there).

we are a young team still finding our way. if we keep clawing and improving, we will start to win some games.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Shurmur- Idk why everyone is so concerned we passed it 52 times against the ravens. It's the ravens!!!! They overloaded against the run and dared us to beat them with Weeden. If Weeds continues to throw that many every game, then there will something to complain about. But for now please stop whining over 52 attempts. I dont like how he doesnt have our best player in the game the final drive. IDC if Ogbonnaya is our 3rd down back, you need to have your best offensive weapon in the game when you go for the game winning drive!!!!

I'm not concerned either and Weeds is no stranger to throwing a ton of passes in a game.

This is the WCO.

Until we have a real passing threat teams will continue to load up on the run and force us to try and beat them with the pass ... that's elementary.

You need to be able to pass the ball in this League. Whats been so troubling/frustrating, with our lack of production is that these guys are getting open for the most part, but can't catch a cold.

[Linked Image]

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not concerned either and Weeds is no stranger to throwing a ton of passes in a game.

This is the WCO.

Until we have a real passing threat teams will continue to load up on the run and force us to try and beat them with the pass ... that's elementary.

You need to be able to pass the ball in this League. Whats been so troubling/frustrating, with our lack of production is that these guys are getting open for the most part, but can't catch a cold.

To add to that, I'd rather Weeden throw the ball a lot this year. The sole purpose of exellerating his progression. The more he sees, the more he learns. Hopefully. In the end we aren't a playoff team this year anyway. Save T-Rich the pounding this year.
Now saying that, next year, with Weeden in his second year, hopefully well seasoned, the play selection needs to readjust. T-Rich will be a year further out from his knee and won't have carried the load all of 2012. We could/should be a better balanced team. Hopefully leading to a more potent offense.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is the WCO.

To add to that, I'd rather Weeden throw the ball a lot this year. The sole purpose of exellerating his progression. The more he sees, the more he learns. Hopefully. In the end we aren't a playoff team this year anyway. Save T-Rich the pounding this year.
Now saying that, next year, with Weeden in his second year, hopefully well seasoned, the play selection needs to readjust. T-Rich will be a year further out from his knee and won't have carried the load all of 2012. We could/should be a better balanced team. Hopefully leading to a more potent offense.

I think that's a great point and I agree ... the passing game is where Weeden needs the work and that equals experience.

I'm not worried so much about our running game at this point, because I know that if we fix the passing game, then that will open up the running game. We have only just scratched the surface with what we have seen Trent Richardson do so far.

I think that you need to be able to do both, passing and running the ball in this League.

I'm just as anxious as the rest of you are to watch Trent go into beast mode, but until which time we can posse enough of a threat in the passing game, that might be more of a fantasy than a reality.

Trent Richardson is Brandon Weeden's best Ally and visa versa.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 10/01/12 07:23 PM.

[Linked Image]

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Quote:

Trent Richardson is Brandon Weeden's best Allie and visa versa.

I believe you are looking for the word "ally," unless TR's middle name is Allison.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Trent Richardson is Brandon Weeden's best Allie and visa versa.

I believe you are looking for the word "ally," unless TR's middle name is Allison.

Okay so what do you want the star or the cookie

[Linked Image]

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Cookie? You passing out cookies? I'll take a cookie.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Cookie? You passing out cookies? I'll take a cookie.

Peanut butter chocolate chip ... I call it the Reeses

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I had a chance to go back and watch some more of the games.

Robertson and Winn really have shown up in the games to date, moreso than my first impression.

I really like Rubin, he is a very solid player as well.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Robertson and Winn really have shown up in the games to date, moreso than my first impression.

Robertson played a great game against the Ravens, I can see him as our #2. I can also see this as being a good reason for moving Brown to safety.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I can also see this as being a good reason for moving Brown to safety.

???

Does Brown play OLB, currently?

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sheldon Brown, CB, slow of foot, good tackler?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
No no no he wants to move Robertson to corner, silly

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I totally read that as Patterson. Too early in the morning for this $#!%

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Man, between that and Wheeden we're going to need to set up a filter for your posts before you submit.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol, I need a new brain, this one's getting old.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Quarter Season Review.... or the Good, Bad, and Mostly Ugly/

Link Copied to Clipboard