Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
This defense is on pace to give up 444 points, or the 2nd worst total since Bud Carson's unit in 1990. That team went 3-13.

We are giving up 27.8 ppg. The record is 28.8 ppg.

Other notable defenses:
2000-437 points allowed (27.3 ppg)
1999-419 points allowed (26.8 ppg)
1975-372 points allowed 14 games (26.6 ppg)
2007-402 points allowed (25.5 ppg)
I might be missing a few--the '81 and '84 teams didn't do well but that was due to a poor offense.

Go Browns!
N
Legend
Legend
N
long season to go. let's see what happens when Haden comes back next week, and then Taylor in a few weeks.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What was the last Dick Jauron defense that wasn't in the bottom 8 in the NFL in run defense?

Legend
Legend
totally jumping the gun here..

this defense had a horrible game against the Giants.. but before that they have been playing pretty decent even w/out Haden..

relax.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

What was the last Dick Jauron defense that wasn't in the bottom 8 in the NFL in run defense?

Jauron's rank against the run:
Code:
2012	Browns	25	
2011 Browns 30
2010 Eagles 15 DB Coach
2009 Buffalo 30
2008 Buffalo 22
2007 Buffalo 25
2006 Buffalo 28
2005 Lions 24
2004 Lions 15
2003 Bears 16
2002 Bears 26
2001 Bears 2 (31-team league)
2000 Bears 19 (31-team league)
1999 Bears 19 (31-team league)
1998 Jags 22 (30-team league)
1997 Jags 13 (30-team league)
1996 Jags 19 (30-team league)
1995 Jags 24 (30-team league)

Not exactly a stellar history.

Last edited by clevesteve; 10/08/12 11:48 AM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
That's the dirty little secret about this team. The defense isn't good. We ranked high last year, but that was because nobody had to pass on us.

We haven't been able to stop the run as long as I can remember.

N
Legend
Legend
N
i think we ranked high because of the QBs we got to face last year, but I agree on the overall assessment.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I believe that it was a combination of the 2 things.

Teams would rarely pass after the half last year. I have broken this down several times, and teams were ineffective passing against us in the 2nd half of most games because they would get a lead, then only throw to wide open receivers ...... or throw the ball away. They took no chances whatsoever, because they didn't have to.

On the other hand, in those rare games where we were competitive late, the opposition was able to drive the field to win the game. The 2nd Bengals game comes to mind.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Do you guys see how banged up we are???? In the second half of the giants we could only field 4 starters. Whens Taylor coming back?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Do you guys see how banged up we are???? In the second half of the giants we could only field 4 starters. Whens Taylor coming back?

People are blind I swear. At one point I believe our #1 was Skrine and our #2 was Trevin Wade. That is a world of difference from Haden and Brown. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Patterson and Brown went out last game?)

The defense is so injured it cant really be judged. I dont know when Taylor is returning. I believe he should be allowed off of the PUP after this week.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The defense is so injured it cant really be judged.

Not sure what this means. They're Cleveland Browns, and they're the people who are playing. They are the people who have to give us wins.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
If anything the defense has been the teams backbone this year.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

last year, sure. this year? please explain yourself.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think he's saying this team has no backbone.

Actually, that's not really fair. they played very well against BAL and PHI and reasonably well against CIN. Gave up two TDs in each of those games which gives your team a chance to win. NYG and BUF games are a different story, though.

Last edited by clevesteve; 10/11/12 11:59 AM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
So you're saying we have no depth?

No depth is not an excuse, it is a reason.

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
The defense has played well at times. I know all teams get injuries, but when we are down to wade and skrine at db's. That is highly unusual to be forced to play 4th and 5th cbs. I think our dline has played well and has gotten consistent pressure on the QB. Our linebackers with DQ have been solid. Hopefully DQ remains healthy rest of the year.

The only problem with the defense is secondary which has been plagued by injuries and suspension. In the second half against the giants we were fielding our #4 &5th CB against their 1&2's. TWard was only starter playing and backup Usama at FS. Hopefully now that Haden's back and if Brown can stay healthy we can field a decent backfield against cincy. Not sure of pattersons health.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If the only problem with the defense is the secondary, how come we can't stop the run?

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

So you're saying we have no depth?

No depth is not an excuse, it is a reason.

Depends on which side of the discussion you sit.

But you're absolutely right.

We don't have a #2 behind Haden. We a bunch of guys vying for the nickel-job. Maybe in a year or two Skrine or Patterson will turn into a #2, but they aren't that now. Sheldon Brown can't run anymore.

ALL teams deal with injuries. Good teams overcome them. We aren't good. We are 0-5.

Makes perfect sense.

Quote:

If the only problem with the defense is the secondary, how come we can't stop the run?

Very good question. Of course the answer is obvious. While we do have a couple of solid defensive line guys in Sheard and Rubin, we don't have any good linebackers besides the undersized Jackson, and Ward is always playing injured. Taylor is a name, but he was in there last season when we weren't any good against the run. We can hope that he's a fix, but until he does it all we have to go on is what he did last year, and for a guy his size, he got pushed around too often IMHO.

Lack of talent, pure and simple. It's not a complex formula, a comedy of untimely errors which have ultimately led the defense to this place. We've stunk against the run for most of the last 13 years, and so far we aren't any good again this year.

It ain't Astrophysics...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but we've got Scoliosis.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
So, we're not THE worst?

So, what you're telling me is that there is hope?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
A
Quote:

So, we're not THE worst?

So, what you're telling me is that there is hope?

j/c

I hope the team did not quit.
The D is giving up 27.8 ppg....ouch

Go Browns!
Legend
Legend
I wanted to get back to the defense for a minute ....... and a few things so far ......

#1) The defense is obviously a totally different animal when Joe Haden is on the field. He is a major difference maker.

#2) Scott Fujita is so incredibly overrated that it hurts. He can sit out every game as far as I'm concerned.

It seems like we are more aggressive when Fujita is not on the field. He is a complete waste in pass coverage, and if I was an opposing offensive coach, I would run pass plays right at him, forcing him to try to cover.

#3) Why is Usama Young even still on the team? he can make the game closing INT ...... but he is lost in coverage way too often. He's really only playing nickel right now, so why not bring in a guy like Bademosi for a shot? He has shown that he has speed, can tackle (what a concept for a safety) can hit, and can take on player bigger than him. I would love to see him worked into the coverage schemes a bit, instead of a guy like Young.

#4) Our DL is actually really deep. Imagine if I told you, at the beginning of the year, that we were going to go into game 5 with neither Taylor nor Rubin. 'Nuff said. (except I'm gonna say more)

For those draft experts who wondered why we would take Hughes as early as we did when they had him rated as an UDFA ....... 6 games, 13 tackles, 1 sack, and a disruptive, immovable force inside. I don't think that I have seen him shoved out of his responsibility yet ...... and he has made plays all over the field. Winn has also played well. I believe that for both guys the sacks will come as they learn their positions better ...... but both have shown a lot of ability at DT.

#5) Ward really does a nice job on some plays, then looks like he's never played the game on others. He gets caught so far out of position on some plays that it's absolutely scary. He really needs to improve. This is his 3rd year. Time to get the mental side down 100%.

#6) I am impressed with a lot of the young talent we have on defense. Hopefully they get to grow together, but we really need that scary player that teams need to beware. Imagine if we had a JJ Watt on this team .... or a Clay Matthews, or a Cameron Wake. Imagine if we had that one player that ever team went "Oh crap, where is number ____ now?" I just don't see that kind of guy on our defense right now. I see a lot of kids who look like they will be competent ...... but I don't know if any will ever out the fear of God into another team.

Just a few random thoughts bouncing around my somewhat empty head this ugly looking Monday morning.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Greg Little for FS!

He's big, he's fast and he can't catch the ball anyway

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Worst defense since 1990--even before return

Link Copied to Clipboard