Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#726258 10/09/12 07:13 AM
Tulsa Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Felix Baumgartner this morning is going to begin his ascent to 120,000 feet, then jump, trying to be the first skydiver to break the speed of sound.

The dude is nuts no doubt but it's an amazing feat if he lives.

You can follow it live here: redbullstratos.com/live

Newsfeed

Keep your eye on the edge of space Tuesday morning — a human will be falling from it. In an attempt to break a 52-year-old record, Felix Baumgartner will step off of a balloon 23 miles above the Earth and free-fall through the atmosphere. Baumgartner, an Austrian skydiver, BASE jumper and all-around daredevil, has partnered with Red Bull in the Stratos project, which is attempting to net him a number of world records. The planning process has been a seven-year endeavor, filled with scientific and technological details flying from all angles.c So we thought we’d crunch the numbers.

-90 degrees Fahrenheit: Minimum air temperature Baumgartner’s specially-designed pressurized spacesuit can withstand.

-10 degrees Fahrenheit: Air temperature predicted 23 miles up as Baumgartner steps out of his capsule.

Less than 1%: Air pressure at the altitude of Baumgartner’s jump, as a percentage of that at sea level.

55 stories: Height of the 30-million-cubic-foot helium balloon that will hoist Baumgartner and his 2,900-pound protective capsule into space.

2: Number of practice runs before Tuesday’s record-breaking attempt. His first practice fall was from 71,000 feet in March 2012, and his second was from 97,000 feet in July.

3: Number of cameras attached to Baumgartner’s suit to record his descent. He’ll have one on each thigh and one on his chest pack.

5: Number of records Baumgartner’s jump will break if successful. He’s aiming to be the first human to ever break the sound barrier in free-fall and to claim the records for highest free-fall altitude, highest manned balloon flight and longest free-fall. His jump platform is believed to be the largest manned balloon in history.

5 minutes and 35 seconds: Amount of time Baumgartner is expected to free-fall.

(Photos: From the Edge of Space: Felix Baumgartner Prepares for a Death-Defying Dive)

6:00 a.m. Mountain time: Time on Tuesday when the man known as “Fearless Felix” will drop from his capsule at the edge of space over Roswell, New Mexico.

6 mph: Maximum wind speed for a safe launch. The initial launch was delayed one day, until Tuesday, because of a cold front bringing strong winds to the drop site.

12 lbs.: Weight of Baumgartner’s chest pack, which contains all of his monitoring and tracking systems.

20 minutes: Maximum amount of time he’ll spend dropping through the atmosphere. He’ll spend a majority of that time – as many as 15 minutes – slowly descending to earth after opening his parachute.

34 seconds: The time it will take him to go from 0 to 690 mph (Mach 1, the speed of sound). Air Force Col. Joe Kittinger, the current height and speed record holder, only made it to 614 mph during his jump 52 years ago from 102,900 feet. Baumgartner would be the first person to break the sound barrier if he manages to do so during his jump.

43: The age of Baumgartner, a native of Salzburg, Austria.

220 rpm: Rate of spin Baumgartner could reach while falling. Tests have shown that a human spinning at 140 rpm can be harmful and quite possibly fatal.

260 lbs.: Complete weight of Baumgartner’s pressurized space suit.

120,000 feet: The atmospheric height, laying right at the edge of space, from which Baumgartner will start his BASE jump.

5,000 feet: The altitude at which Baumgartner will deploy his parachute, after 5½ minutes (and 115,000 feet) of free-fall.

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
balls of steel!

Legend
Legend
You really have to doubt the sanity of anyone whose actions have to include the disclaimer "If he lives" ....... lol

He's nuts. It would probably be the closest anyone could come to feeling like Superman though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Legend
Legend
F
5 minutes of freefall. That could seem like an eternity, especially if something goes wrong.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Imagine if something went wrong right at the very start .......and he would have all of that time to know that the big splat (sorry, couldn't think of anything else) was coming and that there was nothing he could do about it .... and that he even might burn up before be ever hit the ground.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Boooring......jump still on hold.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
N
Legend
Legend
N
do they have a deploying mechanism for his parachute if he goes into a spin and passes out?

and, how can such a mechanism work remotely when he is traveling that fast?

#gmstrong
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
5 plus minutes of free falling would be so amazing ! The view he would have have from that high would be awesome . I gotta admit I envy this guy .

Tulsa Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
One small tear in this guys pressure suit when he's existing his capsule and his blood will boil.

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Most have a device that deploys the chute at a pre determined altitude.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Most have a device that deploys the chute at a pre determined altitude.

ok, thanks. was wondering how that would work.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

One small tear in this guys pressure suit when he's existing his capsule and his blood will boil.

That actually did happen to Col. Joe Kittinger. He didn't tell anyone because he didn't want to abort. Somehow, he managed to hold the tear shut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Excelsior

During the ascent, the pressure seal in Kittinger's right glove failed, and he began to experience severe pain in his right hand from the exposure of his hand to the extreme low pressure. (See Effects of vacuum on humans.) He decided not to inform the ground crew about this, in case they should decide to abort the test. Despite temporarily losing the use of his right hand, he continued with the ascent, climbing to an altitude of 102,800 feet (31,333 m).[

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Thought this thread was about Browns fans after going 0 - 5

Tulsa Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
They were getting ready to launch and the winds picked up, blowing that helium balloon all over the place and they aborted the mission for today.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I don't see what the big deal is. One time I went a whole day with my left shoe only being loosely tied.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

I don't see what the big deal is. One time I went a whole day with my left shoe only being loosely tied.

More kids have tripped and hit thier head and suffered serious injury from that, maybe we should pass a law that requires helmets when people wear shoes?

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

More kids have tripped and hit thier head and suffered serious injury from that, maybe we should pass a law that requires helmets when people wear shoes?

well, then people may not wear shoes and step on a nail. therefore, we must first pass a law that states people must wear shoes

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

well, then people may not wear shoes and step on a nail. therefore, we must first pass a law that states people must wear shoes

Just another hand-out for the Big Helmet industry.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Clearly the problem is not shoes, it's SHOELACES. So the law simply needs to abolish shoelaces and require that we wear slip on shoes or those snazzy shoes with the velcro... of course you can still wear laces if you want, but you will have to pay a tax... I mean a fine.

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F
OK, so we all agree, that a law must be passed regarding laced shoes. For the betterment of our society and the safety of our children we must write up and support the passing of such legislature. To hell with the economy and unemployment, shoe safety is of paramount importance.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

OK, so we all agree, that a law must be passed regarding laced shoes. For the betterment of our society and the safety of our children we must write up and support the passing of such legislature. To hell with the economy and unemployment, shoe safety is of paramount importance.

As long as the law contains a variance or a waiver so my constituents can still wear laces if they want without a penalty, I'll vote for it..... Oh and I need $400million for a new bridge. Thanks.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I think that we should just have softer sidewalks and landscaping ...... that way, if you trip, you won't hurt yourself.

Legend
Legend
Further ...... where the hell are the personal air bags to protect people if they happen to fall?

Legend
Legend
Sidewalks retain heat, contribute to heat island effect in urban areas and cause excessive stormwater runoff. Clearly by wanting sidewalks at all you are out to destroy the environment. We should have dirt paths.

yebat' Putin
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Sidewalks retain heat, contribute to heat island effect in urban areas and cause excessive stormwater runoff. Clearly by wanting sidewalks at all you are out to destroy the environment. We should have dirt paths.

dirt? you think dirt paths are environmentally friendly? not only will rain and the excessive walking on them cause the important layer of topsoil to be stripped but this will just lead to the same excessive stormwater runoff that you mentioned being an issue in the first place.

obviously, the only answer to this is to develop an organic walkway material that is 10x more harmful to the environment while it is being developed but provides a 1% decrease in stormwater runoff and only needs to be replaced once every month or so. this is the wave of the future and if you truly care about our children and environment you will not stand in the way.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ok fine. I can solve this whole "sidewalk vs dirt paths" debate once and for all. People should just not be allowed to go anywhere, thus eliminating the need for all biped transportation systems... also eliminating the annoying shoestring trip hazard.

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F
Perfect solution DC. Force everyone to stay home unless you are licensed and insured by the government to deliver goods (ie: food) to the people within their homesteads. Thus solving many issues.. Traffic accidents, tripping hazard, auto-pollution, littering, loitering, shoflifting, etc.

The world would be a better place if we were all forced to never leave our homes, and the government provided for all our basic needs.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Ok fine. I can solve this whole "sidewalk vs dirt paths" debate once and for all. People should just not be allowed to go anywhere, thus eliminating the need for all biped transportation systems... also eliminating the annoying shoestring trip hazard.

you think that eliminates the hazard? you must be voted out of office immediately! i am calling for a recall.

did you know that a vast majority of shoestring related incidents happen within the home or workplace? and, now you are making the home the workplace and the only place people are allowed to go. you have just increased shoestring hazards. JUST LOOK AT THOSE %s. THE NUMBERS NEVER LIE!!!!

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
This might be an answer.

Oh whatever happened to the guy jumping form 120,000 feet? Did he have laced shoes during the jump?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

did you know that a vast majority of shoestring related incidents happen within the home or workplace? and, now you are making the home the workplace and the only place people are allowed to go. you have just increased shoestring hazards. JUST LOOK AT THOSE %s. THE NUMBERS NEVER LIE!!!!

Amendment #1 to the legislation is that you are not allowed to wear shoes in the home, only those fuzzy socks with the non-slip bottoms. We need to get input from the consultant in the big sock industry to make sure that works for them.

This will eliminate the in-home shoestring problem, plus it will save wear and tear on the carpet since you are now only allowed to replace your carpet with new environmentally friendly recycled carpet once every 20 years.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Wait!

Wait!

Wait!

What about the risk of static electricity from those socks? Also, can that be converted to energy we can use ..... like "black sock energy" or something?

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
and what about the percentage of people falling forward because of the non-slip socks...

in addition, there is a variable of foot injuries from people walking around the home and stubbing their toes on corners and tables and things...what of all those things? This brings us back to needing shoes to eliminate sock and wall/table related injuries.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
My fellow Americans, I wish to clearly state that my learned colleagues are completely failing to understand the gravity of this problem while proposing solutions that do not fully address the core issue - which is plainly a far-reaching systemic problem of truly epic proportions.

My proposal to address this pressing issue is the only one that not only has some real hope of correcting this terrible problem, but also addressing our current economic problems, quickly and efficiently.

Simple - we will send specially trained operatives, hundreds of them, fanning out across this great land. They will go to your local unemployment office in each of your wonderful communities, and there they will choose a number of folks in need who have their shoes tied in a correct and efficient manner. These worthy individuals will then be sent to the local shools, where they will hold intensive workshops with both students and teachers so that improper shoe-tying can be eliminated early on. Adult learning centers will also be opened so that all citizens can improve this valuable skill.

Best of all, the total cost of this program will be paid by a tax on imported shoelaces, which of course will not affect you good people in the slightest.

More Americans will be employed, many more have their lives vastly enriched, all paid for by Foreigners, who are, most importantly, Someone Else.

Thank You for Your Support.

N
Legend
Legend
N

and the direction of this thread gets me back to the Ray Bradbury corollary. in that, the only way to eliminate all of the problems of mankind is to simply eliminate mankind (he likely wasn't the first to pen such a thought).

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Amendment #2 - All persons must remain stationary while in approved dwelling. Excrement and urinal facilities will also be provided at said position with all necessary plumbing to maintain a sanitary standard determined by the Unlimited Safety Unified Council of Knowledge (USUCK)

Legend
Legend
On his way up!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Tulsa Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is showing live on the Discovery Channel too.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Post deleted by DawgMichelle

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's back on Terra firma.

Last edited by DawgMichelle; 10/14/12 02:17 PM.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Raven
Raven
He just touched down, appears to be ok...How's everyone here in DT doing???

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Jump from 120,000 Feet

Link Copied to Clipboard