Print Thread
#726694 10/11/12 06:19 PM
B
BatDawg Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B

A bit surprised they cut him for Haden's return. Not that he was ever active and hopefully never would need to be, but would have thought another position would have taken the hit. Still, it isn't a huge loss, except maybe in terms of 'scout team' work, which I would assume is Colt's now (also good, gives him more reps, if he wasn't already getting that work).

Browns waived QB Thad Lewis.
The Browns needed the roster spot with CB Joe Haden returning from suspension. A favorite of head coach Pat Shurmur, Lewis has been inactive all five games in the developmental role. He was 9-of-17 for 146 yards and an interception in preseason action.

Linky-doodle

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
C
Legend
Legend
C
This was the right move. If we need a third QB we are toast (if we aren't already). Also, it seems like if needed another QB Thad Lewis or someone like him would be available.

Legend
Legend
I think the fact that so few QBs have been hurt so far this year played into it as well. It's unlikely that someone is going to claim Lewis if they have to cut the guy they've had on their roster all along.

I wonder if he is eligible for the practice squad since he wasn't active for any games except for the couple at the end of last season?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I was not impressed with him. Blah is about all I can say.

Moving on.

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
So who is the third string quarterback. This is Cleveland.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
probably jusÎ Cribbs at this point. I'm a little shocked we cut Thad, but I bet we re-sign him at some point soon.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

probably just Cribbs at this point. I'm a little shocked we cut Thad, but I bet we re-sign him at some point soon.

I'm sure we will.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Plenty toasty at the moment, it seems. Surprised by the move; must be re-thinking our priorities going forward into the future. Pretty sure he will be available.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Looks like we did it to activate Cooper from the practice squad since we are depleted at WR right now. Link

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Browns Cut Thad Lewis

Damn...No Super Bowl for us.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
I wonder if Fujita serves his 1 week suspension this week since he has been out of practice anyway? That would put off another roster move, because we need to create 2 spots to activate Haden from suspension and to bring up Cooper from the PS. Cutting Lewis cleared one spot, but we still have to open another spot if we bring up Cooper.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Fujita is appealing his suspension. If he is suspended he misses a game check.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Technically, he is appealing his appeal ...... so he would be best served to just get it out of the way now when he might miss the game anyway IMHO.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Technically, he is appealing his appeal ...... so he would be best served to just get it out of the way now when he might miss the game anyway IMHO.

not exactly. his first suspension was basically considered a "filing error" by the judges and they said Goodell needed to refile the suspensions. So, Fujita is appealing the refiled suspension (as he sort of won his last appeal, but not really).

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thus, the panel divided the misconduct into two categories, non-contract payments and intent to injure. The first is Burbank's province; the latter is Goodell's. This decision overrules Burbank's decision, that Goodell had exclusive jurisdiction over this issue under the broad "conduct detrimental" language in the CBA. In that sense, the panel has slightly chipped away at the power of Goodell, a fact that may have some ramifications beyond this case.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8349330/panel-ruling-blow-roger-goodell-power

Now Goodell has said that Fujita is only guilty of "not telling on his coaches" which does not address the issue he was told he could rule on.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
don't worry. we get it. no matter what Goodell does, he is the devil in your eyes.

i only care about there being a NFL to watch and the Cleveland Browns in it for my lifetime and hopefully my kids/grandkids lifetimes as well. So, I am a bit more understanding that the NFL (who told the Saints to cut this out on several occasions, but Gregg Williams apparently couldn't help himself) is making an example out of them. Yes, it's a big C.Y.A. for the N.F.L. but it's not like these players are all on the up-and-up either. They were getting/giving money to each other for "cart-offs." Great solidarity there.

#gmstrong
C
All Pro
All Pro
C
What!?! We cut Thad Lewis? Didn't they see how well he played in preseason?

C
Legend
Legend
C
It's so Shurmur can get him on his next team.

Legend
Legend
Browns sign QB Thaddeus Lewis to practice squad - Cleveland Browns - Ohio
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-brow...-squad-1.341748

The Browns signed quarterback Thaddeus Lewis to their practice squad, the team announced today.

The Browns waived Lewis from their 53-man roster Thursday to create a spot for cornerback Joe Haden, who returned this week from a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Lewis was inactive in all five games this season. He completed 9-of-17 passes for 146 yards with one interception in the preseason.

Last season, the Browns claimed Lewis off waivers from the St. Louis Rams. Lewis spent the 2010 season with Browns coach Pat Shurmur while the latter served as the Rams’ offensive coordinator. Lewis was inactive for the Browns in 13 games last season and dressed in three others without playing.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Well, huh. I didn't even know he was eligible.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Signed back onto PS,so I assume he was like wire waiver or whatever temporarily.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Cut Thad Lewis

Link Copied to Clipboard