Page 1 of 2 1 2
#728533 10/19/12 01:13 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I don't think it'll ever happen, but it's out there. I found multiple sites I should be able to link to to back it up. Here they are:

Quote:

Several names are circulating on the web, including Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, Alabama coach Nick Saban and Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

Cleveland.com

Quote:

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WIAT) - It's a place that would make sense for Nick Saban. After all, the coaching god spent plenty of time in the state.

Apparently, new Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam may want to capitalize on Saban's Ohio ties.

Rumors stemming from a report on Cleveland radio station 92.3 The Fan says Haslam is interested in the Tide head coach. The program manager at the station says the report did not say Saban is actively being pursued.

If Saban does wind up getting courted by the Browns it would make sense. Saban started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Kent State while his first head coach job was at Toledo. Saban also worked as an assistant under Bill Belichick with the Browns.

Saban has two years of NFL head coaching experience with the Dolphins. In 2005 and 2006 his teams combined to go 15-17 while failing to make the playoffs.

Alabama announced as the Crimson Tide's head football coach on January 3, 2007 after Saban accepted an offer to become the school's 27th head coach.

His Alabama teams are an amazing 61-12 and have won two national championships in five and a half seasons.

CBS42.com

Quote:

We weren’t aware of the rumors/speculation/whatever linking Alabama coach Nick Saban to the Cleveland Browns until Dan Patrick mentioned the chatter on his national radio/TV show this morning.

ProFootballTalk.com

Quote:

But according to a disputed report from Cleveland radio station 92.3 The Fan, new Browns owner Jimmy Haslam wants to find out if Saban would be willing to put all of that aside to return to northern Ohio as the Browns' next head coach, replacing current coach Pat Shurmur. Saban graduated from Kent State, got his first head coaching job at nearby Toledo, and worked for the Browns as an assistant under mentor Bill Belichick.

CBSSports.com

N
Legend
Legend
N

hey Nick, you bored with all that domination and winning and the accolades? how about you come and take on a real challenge?

what, not man enough?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Several names are circulating on the web, including Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, Alabama coach Nick Saban and Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

I'd consider Mornhinweg, but say no to Gruden and there's no way Saban is coming here.

The guy left Miami to go back to the college game, which he enjoyed more. Why would he come here?

Besides, Plaxico says he did Michigan State wrong and I think Sam Madison criticized him with the Dolphins for the way he left them. There's something sleezy about the guy that I don't like.

If those are our three candidates, I think I still prefer Pat Shurmur at this point. Although we NEED a new special teams coach. But I don't know, sometimes this team looks ridiculously undisciplined, and that makes me want a different coach. The penalties drive me nuts.

ALSO, the third and 1 passes get me pretty upset.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 10/19/12 01:29 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
He'd likely do it if his situation was similar to Pete Carroll's...

Legend
Legend
*Sigh* Great.

I'm not a big fan of Saban in the pros ..... though maybe he has learned something from being back in the college game. Out of the 3 names listed there, his is the least offensive to me ...... but I still don't want to see him do a one and done here. (or 2 and done like he did in Miami) He just seems like a guy who has relentlessly chased his dream job, and finally has it.

We already have Marty Mornhinweg Jr as our current Head Coach. I'm not sure what benefit there is from bringing in an older version of the same guy.

I'm not a big fan of any of the Grudens.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Another Mangini who thinks he's smarter than the world....good friend of mine is a Dolphins diehard and he hates him as much as I hate Mangini

New owner, same mistakes if that happens...and yeah, I'll observe the FA and Draft but if the results are Mangini like, I'm out this time and find something better to do sundays

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not crazy about this. Not everyone who is a great college coach will translate to the pros. Cowherd and Greenberg were discussing Saban on the radio yesterday morning. Someone had told Cowherd that Saban works well in college and not in the pros becuase he wears players out (grueling practices, tirades, etc.). In college, by the time they are done with Saban, they are graduating and moving on. Not so in the pros.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
And we'll probably have 25 more names added to "the rumor mill" before all is said and done.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
So we can entertain the idea of Saban potentially walking out on the Browns in the midst of failiure too?

Legend
Legend
Did I miss the memo that Shurmur was fired?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
No, Saban's just the latest potential coach rumored to be 'courted' by the Browns...

I'd almost hate to be Pat Shurmur as the laundry list of 'potential future Browns HC's' gets bigger and bigger, and if the team continues to struggle, the cries for his firing may get louder and louder. IMO, replacing Shurmur is only ideal if we can recruit a clear-cut superior replacement. I'm not the one making that decision, so if Banner/Haslem find someone who is 'their' guy... it will happen.

I'm not a fan of Saban, IMO, if we're going to go after a coach from the college ranks I'd love to try and lure someone like Chip Kelly (who is another name I've read thrown around.)

Legend
Legend
oh, God... here we go, again.

Does anybody know where the kill switch is at for this Merry-Go-Round?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Not saying I believe any of those names to be serious potential coaches but if so it seems we are already down the same path that we have traveled several times in the past. Morhinweg may be O.K. but hasn't he been a HC and failed?I would not be excited about Saban.And I do not know how Saban's football philosophies would fit with what we have built so far. Like everyone else I don't want to see a blow up and rebuild all over again.I would find it hard to believe that they would sit and preach honest evaluation and continuity and already be looking for a new coach.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
No Saban!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh god please no. Seriously, there's just so few coaching prospects out there right now that inspire anything more than the limpest maaaayyyyybeeee.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
N
Legend
Legend
N
j/c

i think it's funny that the majority of posts are acting like Saban would not be a good coaching hire for the Browns.

i don't think you guys have anything to worry about. Saban isn't leaving unless some USC-level-sanctions are coming down on Bama and the SEC stopped reporting those years ago

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I would find it hard to believe that they would sit and preach honest evaluation and continuity and already be looking for a new coach.

That'd be because we're back to double tongue FO speach like under Policy, Butcher and Mangini....say one thing, do the other...outsmart the world and yourself

I don't believe one word Haslam and Banner have put out...if they TRULY were all about giving this regime a chance, then they would have communicated it internally and kept their feet quiet until after the season...they're not "behin the scenes" guys, they're alpha males and want to let everyone know that by giving hour long pressers and interviews minutes after the buy, beheading the leader of the old regime in the 1st hour and clearly contrasting themselves from the "old" regime by doing so and onyl stepping in front of the camera all by themselves...or have you seen Holmgren, Heckert or Shurmur once with them in front of a camera? "Transition" my buttocks...that was a mid-season beheading and they didn't care one iota how that might influence the product on the field or all other guys connected to the old regime

To make things short: they put their EGOS in front of the franchise by coming out like that imho....it was a clear message more than anything. They beheaded Holmgren and will run around with his head for 3-4 more months....wonder why you haven't heard a peep from Holmgren in all of this? He probably still has a red head and is still fuming...at least he shuts up to NOT be a distraction to the team...something these 2 clowns forgot while getting a boner in their pressers

N
Legend
Legend
N
cmon, we all get that you like heckert and many of us do as well.

but, there is no other way to play this one out. the team is 1-5 and has a horrendous record the past few years of rebuilding. it is terrible PR to take over and just put it out there that everyone is safe (same old, same old to most fans that are not noticing some of the improvements).

at the same time, if they do not believe 100% in this regime, then they should clean them out now and put people in place they trust. we need stability and that starts with everyone being on the same page throughout the entire organization and that definitely includes Haslam.

as for Holmgren, it is what it is. if Haslam trusted Banner to run the business side of things more than Holmgren (and Banner has more experience on that side anyway), then I am glad that he made that move with conviction.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

cmon, we all get that you like heckert and many of us do as well.

but, there is no other way to play this one out. the team is 1-5 and has a horrendous record the past few years of rebuilding. it is terrible PR to take over and just put it out there that everyone is safe (same old, same old to most fans that are not noticing some of the improvements).

I'd think that the majority of folks on this message board like Heckert. Is this not the case for the average Browns fan?

You have a manager that the fans like and you have a coach that he knows and has a good relationship with. I don't see why the new president and owner need to fire anyone.......

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read your entire post before replying.

I do agree that if they aren't behind the crew they will have to clean house. But it always gets tricky mid-season and such with the scouting and stuff to fire the manager. (Of course, you like to hire the manager before the coach as well)

I just hope that Heckert and Banner had a good relationship in Philly. Is Heckert the best at picking players? Nope. But he's so much better than anything we've had before.

So me, I'm hoping we at least stick with our manager, and as for hte head coach, I'm interested to see who the candidates are. I'd have liked Jeff Fisher, but that kind of stuff never works our way. He comes back last year, not this year. Ya know

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 10/19/12 01:24 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You have a manager that the fans like and you have a coach that he knows and has a good relationship with.

and we a system and a foundation that is coming together and showing a ton of promise; more than I can recall seeing in this team since The Return.
We have the beginnings of a solid foundation and stability..... and we're going to be spoon-fed the notion that we "need" to destroy all of that in the name of getting stability.

It's a load of crap.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yup.

How about this one:

"The BROWNS are Rebooting! The BROWNS are Rebooting!.... it must be Tuesday."

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I honestly believe this is the most talented roster we have had since the days of Kosar but they are just incredibly young and inexperienced. We have a rookie QB that will probably end up with 4500 yards and 20 TDs. Rookie RB that is on pace to score 15 touchdowns and he still hasnt gotten it going yet. Rookie receiver that hasn't played football in 2 years and is flashing Moss like ability. Offensive line that is rapidly becoming (as predicted) one of the best lines in football.

Folks this offense could be together for 7 years without major changes.

Now the D has battled the injury bug and the Haden suspension but we are a couple pieces away from having a powerhouse D, despite the lousy stats right now. Sheard, Winn, Rubin, Taylor, DQ, Haden, Ward and I will throw Robertson in as well, are good enough to start on most teams. When was the last time you could say that and we have some quality guys behind them in Hughes, Patterson, Skrine, Sheldon Brown, JMJ. We do need more depth and a real pass rushing RDE and a ball hawking FS but man it isn't that far away.

I just hate to see that blown up as almost everyone I listed has 3 years or less in the league. I think despite our record we are on the verge of a powerhouse franchise. I have been spitting doom and gloom since the tear down in 2002 and there is a reason I am this optimistic. This team has been built in Jimmy Johnson fashion. They remind me of that 7-9 Cowboys team when half the fanbase was still wanting to run Jimmy out of town.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Yup.

How about this one:

"The BROWNS are Rebooting! The BROWNS are Rebooting!.... it must be Tuesday."

It's Friday you silly goose!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I couldn't have said it better Mourgrym!

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Add me that list as well.
+1

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Legend
Legend
I like Chip Kelly a lot

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Add me that list as well.
+1

Same here. The level of enjoyment watching this year's team vs. the last two years has jumped tremendously. I'll bet that the factory of sadness guy even feels they're playing the same game now.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yea sure, Lets try Saban for a year or two. We gave everyone else a chance. Ex college HC guru, Ex Superbowl DC, Ex Playoff HC, etc, etc. Lets try a different one every year till we get lucky and he wins the first 10 games out of the gate. I can't wait to start over yet again.

The ONLY person I would actually vote for would be Cowher. He has the experience,respect and connects with his players, while being tough as nails and demands 110 percent all the time. The rest of the names that will surface will be a crapshoot like the rest of them were.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Oh god please no. Seriously, there's just so few coaching prospects out there right now that inspire anything more than the limpest maaaayyyyybeeee.

That's why I wish the new brass might find a solid up & comer w promise & not necessarily make a huge splash w a big name hire. Especially a big ego who will insist on picking our players.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I like Chip Kelly a lot

He treats the press badly. He's a cocky jerk that short of the wins isn't well liked. His offense is gimmicky and won't work on the pro level. I'd much rather have the other Oregon (State) coach. Mike Riley gets a ton out of very little. Riley is extremely well liked by the community and press. He wins with toughness and heart and recruits without Nike's blank check.
God I hate the Ducks. The thought of Kelly anywhere near my team makes my skin crawl.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I like Chip Kelly a lot

He treats the press badly. He's a cocky jerk that short of the wins isn't well liked.

Couldn't care less.

Just win, baby!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Kelly's o works in college because he can go recruit a bunch of 5'7" 175# track stars out of California and plug them into his system. How's that going to go over in the pros?
Riley actually has to coach.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 10/20/12 10:53 AM.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jc

I would take Sabin yesterday over keeping Un-shurmer.

At least Sabin is a proven winner, yeah he bounced out on Miami to go back to the pros....big deal. He had a better opportunity and has since gotten what he was after...national championships.

I think he would instantly make this team better, not to mention the elite talent he could/would bring into Cleveland. And I am sure he would get the most out of T-Rich. And we might finally see that worthless bum Mareic dumped off the roster with a guy like Sabin running the show.

If interested I hope Jimmy pulls the trigger and makes it happen. I think he would surprise alot of you.

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Kelly's o works in college because he can go recruit a bunch of 5'7" 175# track stars out of California and plug them into his system. How's that going to go over in the pros?
Riley actually has to coach.

Kelly's offense, it really isn't that much different than the WCO. The basic idea is to stretch the defense horizontally and the application of that approach in the college game is spreading things out and running bubble screens/zone reads/hitches on the outside because of the wide hashes and slower speed of college defenders. This allows you to isolate mismatches and take advantage with your playmakers in space. Sounds similar to the WCO, no? Instead of spreading in 4-5 wide looks, the WCO uses shifts and split backs to shift the SS/LBs, which opens up spaces along the horizontal axis of the field for WRs to makes plays in space after the catch on slants and quick outs, athletic TEs shifting out of the formation against LBs or safeties, and RBs flaring out on screen passes/swing routes. The execution is different but conceptually in how they attack the defense they are pretty similar.

I think Kelly would bring over his passing plays but bring in an alter version of a ZBS for running the ball.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
I saw a blog where they hear Marty Shottenheimer would be a candidate.

F Nick Saban. I despise that man.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

Send him on a cruise at least a week before the draft and keep him out of any personnel decisions is they only way I'd be OK with it, however not my first choice (not even in my top 50 - if I had that many), I did like him as a coach. However he's gotta be pushing 70, and I doubt he'd have much interest in coming back.

I wouldn't trust Saban to stay, he is a helluva coach, but wouldn't believe a word he says. I'd have in his contract that if he left early he had to repay all money paid to him, plus 100%.

Not a fan of Chip Kelly either, great college coach, just don't see NFL in him yet, could be mistaken there, but don't think so (yet).

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Just say no to marty.

Im wondering right now, as I have been all year, who we are going to get as coach.
Is Haslam going to try for a big name splash type coach, or will he want to go with a up and coming type assistant.
I've personally never liked Collage coachs coming to the NFL for the 1st time but that is just me.
This will be one of the biggest choices they make (along with the GM choice be it Heckert or someone else). They absolutly have to get these 2 choices correct the 1st time around.

Oh well almost game time Go Browns!

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

I've personally never liked Collage coachs coming to the NFL for the 1st time but that is just me.

Yeah.
I hate them collage coachs too.
They are not a comfortable ride. And they fall apart when they get wet.

But back on subject. I would prefer a coach with a winning resume as a head coach. But also one that is not over the hill.
And right now I think that leaves us with 3 choices. Saban, Cowher, Gruden.

I would not hate any of them.
Any of them you would think would be better than anything we have seen in Cleveland since Schottenheimer or Belechik.( sp?)

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Legend
Legend
Not Saban. And not Shurmur. Haslam on camera today spoke tomes about the future. Shurm looked lost and clueless in the fourth quarter. Could have had this one IMO. We looked inferior and at time incompetent.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Saban to the Browns?

Link Copied to Clipboard