Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
I like to break the seasons into quarters, so here are my next set of rambling comments.

Offense...

I am satisfied with the play of Weeden, yes he is a rookie, but he is improving, He has the ability to push the ball down field, ad has demonstrated the ability to throw under pressure. Is it too soon to say that the Browns have finally found their QB?

Richardson, He is the real deal, I just wish he was healthy.

Oline.. A bit better since the original post. Schwartz has become an integral part of the line, and I think that Greco has played well with Pinston out. Thomas has regained his health and form. Mack has not been noteworthy.

TE and Fullback, Not real happy with Watson, as he appears to lost a step. Smith has been more productive than anticipated and now plays fullback. Cameron needs more playing time. Marecic has been benched.

Receivers. We finally a decent receiver and his name is Josh Gordon. MoMass has can't help the club from the tub. Little has been a major disappointment. Benjamin has had injuries and lower production Cooper has been a pleasant addition, although he has had similar production as Norwood.

Defense.

DL. Parker and Rucker have been positive additions. Winn and Hughes have made solid contributions, and I expected better production from Sheard. We are waiting for the return of Taylor, probably after they bye.

LB's DQ has been very solid. I find it interesting that JMJ played pretty extensively yesterday. Robertson has played effectively in passing downs. I think Maiva is on the bubble.

DB's... Having Haden back helps. Brown is not getting any younger. Young does not impress anyone at safety. Wade is ok.

Special Teams, We need a better punter. No complaints with Cribbs, and Dawson continues to be amazing.

Coaching, Shurrmur continues to is play it conservatively, and I hated the 4th and 1 punt.

The reality is that the games are more interesting to watch, and the team seems to be progressing. I suggested before the start of the season, we would start 2-6 and end 4-4, so far, so good. We may actually improve more than that in the second half.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First off, I like this thread. Doing a little mid-season review is a nice thing. So thank you for posting it

Quote:

I am satisfied with the play of Weeden, yes he is a rookie, but he is improving, He has the ability to push the ball down field, ad has demonstrated the ability to throw under pressure. Is it too soon to say that the Browns have finally found their QB?

I agree with your feelings here. I'm pretty sold on Weeden myself. One thing that Dilfer brought up in his article, was that Weeden has really made strides to improve. He is able to correct bad habbits, mistakes, and get better at things he's weak in.

One of my favorite things about him is that, unlike many other rookies, he makes decisions fast and gets rid of that football. Some of this definitely has to do with his understanding of our offense (which is great, he picks up the scheme quick), but it's also something that you have in you. Quick (and generally solid) decision making.

People who can do this impress me in general. It's efficiency at its finest. On the football field, this is different then the business world or whatever, but I really like that Weeden doesn't hesitate. He protects himself and makes things easier on our O-Line with this trait.

And as said before, his arm just seems to be on target. But his ability to correct his mistakes/deficiencies I love, and I really like that he can think on his toes

Quote:

Richardson, He is the real deal, I just wish he was healthy.

I agree that Richardson is the real deal also. While he could do some things better, like hitting the hole faster, I do think our O-Line could do a much better job runblocking.

In the game that I saw Greco playing (I missed Sunday's game because I was stuck at a small airport), I wasn't impressed with him. I like Pinkston more, Greco had a false start. But neither are good at passblocking. I like Schwartz a lot, but he has so improvements he can make too. But he's definitely the best pass blocking tackle we've had since Ryan Tucker. And he's only a rookie, so I think he'll improve.

TE's, I agree, Watson has lost a step. Alex Smith has dropped some balls. And Jordan Cameron should see more playing time. I'm wondering if Cameron, like Moore, is a liability in the blocking arena. This could explain why he doesn't play that much. But Ben Watson hasn't been that good at blocking either. FB: Marecic has to go. Sounds good that he was benched.

D-Line: I've been impressed with the whole crowd this year. I don't think that Billy Winn or Hughes will ever be starters, but they definitely have a role. I also like that other guy we got from the Ravens. He has a good motor. I think Sheard has played well this year, he just hasn't gotten that many sacks for whatever reason. But just because you're not getting sacks doesn't mean you're disruptive. Parker and Rucker were good additions.

LBs: I'd like to see less of Craig Robertson if possible. I like the guy, but he's a backup. Maiva is a backup also, and I don't think he's on the team next year. But Robertson is not our answer at the weakside LB position. He all too often gets beat up on because he's just not that strong.

DBs: Joe Haden is money, and it's great having him back. Sheldon Brown has played much better then I expected this season IMO. And I agree with the point that Usama Young is not our answer at FS. FS is a very high priority to upgrade IMO, doesn't mean Usama shouldn't have a spot though. He's valuable because he has played CB in his career too. But I would like him to be a backup for sure.

WR: Josh Gordon has really improved, but I think this position needs to be upgraded as well. I'm not ready to give up on Greg Little like some people are, but he's better as a number 3 option. I really wish there was a top-notch receiver in this draft this year. Not sure if there is one. And I think our offense can live without an AJ Green or Calvin Johnson, but we definitely at least need another good option at WR.

Pat Shurmur: I get frustrated by this guy every week. I'm torn in someways as to how I feel about him, because I don't want to fire the coaching staff, but I don't think he's a very good motivator and I don't like his decision making a lot of the time. The buck stops with him and the special teams has been garbage and the O-Line makes too many stupid penalties. That along with the lack of runblocking get me very upset. I would like Heckert to have the upcoming draft, but I don't see it happening. I think the staff and managers will be gone. I like Heckert and I always get nervous about switching managers before the draft. That and I really am afraid we're gonna go to a 3-4 defense. I'm not a fan of the 3-4 at all, and I'd like to see us stick with the 4-3 for sure.

And we gotta get a new punter next year. Hodges seems like a nice guy, I follow players and what not on Twitter (sadly), and Hodges seems to be very popular with his teammates. But it doesn't change the fact that he's not that good of a punter.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
OK, I'll play:

QB: I was probably one of the 2 biggest fans of drafting Weeden, and he has performed extremely well. He is a rookie QB, learning how to play from under Center, learning the WCO, and with rookies and 2nd year players all around him. His receivers have been: Little, (2nd year) Gordon, (R) Norwood, (2nd year) Benjamin, (R) Cooper, (R) and Massaquoi. (Injured for most of the season, and appearing in only 3 of 8 games so far) Cribbs has played WR sparingly.

Weeden has shown an ability to hit receivers in stride, and to get the ball to the open receiver. He generally throws the ball where his receiver can run after the catch. We have not seen the sheer volume of bone crushing hits on our receivers on short passes that we saw last year. We have also added the big play back into the passing game. Man that's nice to see.

He even used a hard count to draw the defense off-sides in Sunday's game. Nice to see him adding skills as the year progresses.

Weeden had about as miserable a debut as any QB could ever have. He looked about as lost as the crew of Gilligan's Island. However, he has made incredible progress since then. He's not perfect. He still misses some wide open receivers. He still has some passes that he struggles with. However, given that he's a rookie, and working with very young receivers, I'd say that he's done remarkably well so far.

His OL has done a remarkably good job of protecting him, and he deserves some of the credit for making quick decisions and getting the ball out on time. He also lets his OL protect him. He doesn't get all crazy legs and running blindly. He understands the pocket, and moves well within the pocket, feeling pressure and taking a step away from it, which is often all that needs done.

The OL has not done as well blocking for the run game. Sometimes part of that falls on the RB, as he has to really stick his head up in the hole and push on a short yardage play. However, the OL has also been stuffed far too often. Run blocking is attitude.

Our RB corps has been a mixed bag. Some games we run well ... in others we struggle. Richardson has been up and down. He's had 2 100 yard games ..... and 5 games where he hasn't hit 50 yards on the ground. I think that his injuries have slowed him down a great deal. He does have that indomitable will to succeed though.I think that will serve him well. He is a remarkably effective receiver, and a very good blocker. Ogbonnaya has really settled into the backup role nicely. He's not an all star .... but he is effective in his role. Hardesty did a nice job in relief of Richardson, though his fumble the other day is a concern.

The OL and RBs need to learn to work together more effectively. I believe that the talent is there to make this team a very good running team. However, they are not there yet.

The receivers are young, younger, and youngest. I mentioned them above, and they need work. The receivers really need to work on their spacing on the deeper sideline routes. They cannot allow the DB to force them to the sideline where they cannot create any space for the QB to fit the ball in. It makes the DB's job so much easier if they can force the receiver to the sideline, and then cover them under/inside. Unless the receiver can use his speed to get loose, there isn't going to be a completion. The receivers really need to get their routes down 100%. However, in fairness, we have 3 rookies getting regular playing time right now, and limited coaches, On a team with 1 rookie WR and other experienced guys, the coaches could work with the one new guy more exclusively. That can't happen here. Overall though, we have one guy who has made incredible progress in Gordon. He started out so raw, and has really come on. Cooper looks like he could have a role. Benjamin has been hurt, but he has incredible speed. Little needs to drop the drops. So do the rest of our receivers. I see progress ..... but it's progress with fits and starts.

Man we drop the football a lot. A lot. A real freaking lot! That's gotta change. I know I'm repeating myself, but I heard a stat that we had 24 drops going into the last game, and added 3 more there. That's appalling. Receivers need to be receivers .... and that means catching the damn ball. If we cut the drops down to even half, we'll be so much more productive on offense. Drops have cost us 2 TD, and countless 1st downs this season. This needs to be an area of constant coaching.

I am worried about the TEs. Watson is getting older. And slower. This will probably be his final year with the Browns. Cameron shows promise, but isn't a sure thing. Smith is a decent backup type ..... jack of all trades, but master of none. We have Smelley on the practice squad, but he seems miles away from the active roster. Overall our TEs are a weakness right now. No one is getting that separation down the seem like in previous years. This position really worries me.

On the defensive side of the ball, I like the youth we have on the DL. We have a lot of really good players, and excellent depth. Unfortunately, we lack that "OMG" pass rusher that other teams really have to gameplan for. I was hoping and expecting Sheard to step up big-time, but unfortunately he hasn't broken through. 8 games in he has only 22 tackles and 1 sack. Part of this is due to the absence of Taylor, and Rubin being out with injuries. However, I was hoping for Sheard to really step it up this year, and it looks like he's taken a step back instead. Rucker has been a 2 down player as advertised. Halfway in he has 2 sacks. The DL can get pressure ..... but that hasn't translated to sacks. Our 2 rookies have done very well stepping in, but again, they haven't brought the sacks. In a 4-3, especially a Jauron 4-3, the DL better sack the QB. Thus far this has been a weakness. If we had a ferocious pass rusher, our defense would really take a step forward. I think that we need to find this player in next year's draft.

LB has been a mixed bag, and it's hard to really know what we have. DQ should be a sure thing, but he's been a bit up and down. JMJ looks like he could be a player. He was a guy I really liked when we drafted him. Robertson looks like he can find a role on the defense. he is really good in pass coverage. Fort and Carter are question marks. Maiava is a solid special teams guy, but really should not be starting on a good defense. There is some potential here, and the 2nd half of the season should be interesting regarding how these guys develop. DQ started out like a house afire this season, and while he's still making tackles, they seem to be more down the field, less impactful tackles. He got 3 sacks against Cincinnati. He got 2 INT in his 1st 2 games. None of either since. He hasn't forced any fumbles. he's not stuffing guys behind the line. He's played OK, and he's still running up the tackle totals, but he hasn't been making an impact on the game like he did earlier on.

The secondary has some bright spots, and some dim spots.

Haden is a player. Ward is a player. Sheldon Brown is still a savvy veteran. Patterson looked solid when he was in. He's not a #1 guy, but he's a solid #2. Skrine looks like he's developing. We have some talent here, but it's tough to cover guys forever. We need to get pressure in order for these guys to really shine.

I am more than worried about the black hole at FS. Man is that a pit. I have to wonder what happened with Hagg for him to have ben banished in favor of Young. Young has to have the worst instincts of any FS I have ever seen try to play the game. He takes awful angles, blows coverages, and it seems like his occasional intercepting of a ball that hits him in the chest makes up for his massive flaws with some people. Not with me. FS is an area of dire need. I actually hope that they work with Bademosi here, working him in on some defenses. I love his size, speed, and sure tacking ability.

Special teams are a big time mixed bag. Dawson is rock solid.

Hodges has been a major disappointment this year. I truly hate seeing 35 yard punts. Ugh.

We are so undisciplined on returns that it's disgusting. It seems like every return has a penalty lately. This has to change. Our special teams coach has to be gone after this year even if Shurmur hangs on to his job. Our special teams have really struggled again. There are always going to be young players on teams, and the coach needs to learn to deal with that.

Speaking of penalties .... man we rack up the stupidest penalties at the wrong times. Let's jump on 4th and inches. Let's do it again. And again. How many times have we done that this year? 4 times? 5? It's way too many. We need to be more disciplined. We shoot ourselves in the foot, and kneecap ourselves way too often. This team is not so talented that we can make stupid mistakes.

Overall I am very encouraged by what I see out of many of our young players. I think that we have a real base to build on. I look forward to seeing how they grow as the rest of the year plays out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Interesting stat:

In 3 games WITH Haden at CB:

vs PHI: 56 PAs, 317 pass yds = 5.66yds/PA ...Eagles AVG 6.9yds/PA
@IND: 29 PAs, 186 pass yds = 6.41yds/PA ...Colts AVG 6.8yds/PA
vs SD: 34 PAs, 154 pass yds = 4.53yds/PA...Chargers AVG 6.8yds/PA

Overall: 119 PAs, 657pass yds = 5.52yds/PA

league AVG is around 7yds/PA, league leading SF is giving up 5.8yds/PA....it's a small sample size and skewed by the bad weather game, but even without it the stat is at 5.9yds/PA in the other 2 games and the teams aren't shabby....we were top 10 in that category last season too but it was excused away because we were behind often...well in those 3 games we led for most of the game or were a FG away, so it's legit

We're built to stop the pass and play from in front, so we force the opposition to pass more...and in today's NFL I agree with the plan...now we just have to take the lead more often and be able to make it 2 score games...we did so against the Giants, but Coughlin was smart enough to stay with the run early on and didn't panic. With Weeden and TRix and the good OL blocking for them, I see VERY good days ahead...it's a sound plan, the Giants and Eagles are built that way too...it's a successful plan, it is working in this league and it's finally implemented without trying to take short cuts or give in to the moaning of homer fans....Haslam, please just let them continue to improve and don't let your or Banner's EGO get in the way of it. For once, the Browns can do the right thing...right?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
One thing I noticed about Usama Young: He never, never, never, wraps up. I mean never. I do not think I have ever seen him use his arms in a tackle. He always sort of launches his shoulder into the player (Or would be tackler...Robertson) It is really strange to watch. I don't think I have ever seen another player like him.

I spotted Hagg against San Diego in on special teams. If I recall correctly he made a mistake that was covered up on the play.

I would love to see the weather forecast for the games we have played. I am fairly sure we have played in the rain 4 or 5 times. That has to have had an impact on the number of drops. I would like to see the number of drops by our opposing teams contrasted against our drops. To see which games weather might have been a contributing factor.

I think the team in general has played well. The record is a coin toss with a few plays not going our way. Playing against all playoff caliber teams and Indy. The Indy game was the only one that has truly bothered me.

There was a funny shot during the Indy game. I thought I saw Marecic on the sidelines laughing it up. Tan, long hair, happy having a good time, laughing it up on the sidelines. Then the camera pans a few feet to an incredibly pale, frowning, afroed, white guy. First guy was Cooper. Second guy was Marecic. I am happy that dude is benched. I am saddened we don't seem to have a replacement.

Weeden Good. Young Bad. Marecic Ugly.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

One thing I noticed about Usama Young: He never, never, never, wraps up. I mean never. I do not think I have ever seen him use his arms in a tackle. He always sort of launches his shoulder into the player (Or would be tackler...Robertson) It is really strange to watch. I don't think I have ever seen another player like him.

Ward does it alot as well, or at least I recall it last year, hadn't really paid any attention to it this year.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Looking at the midway season review, great write up, great post...

I kinda break it down in Overall look, then more individual feel:

Overall looks:
We play hard every week. thats on Coach and he's done a great job keeping EVERYONE working hard.

Our defense plays so much better with Haden on the field. He is a beast. We're so much better with him out there because he just takes away your best guy. All the time. No one throws at him, which allows our defense to do so many more things. Stay straight Joe please.

Our offense is improving. Ive seen so many drives that get to the other end of the field. Last year we did a lot of driving to midfield and punting...but those drives would start at the 30 or so...this year theyre starting at the 15. I think our offense looks much better in moving the ball and keeping our defense off the field. The defense has done a better job of getting off the field of late. We look more like a team, now its time to translate that into pts and wins.

Offense:
OL as a whole have really looked a lot better. Weeders really gets the ball out and makes our pass blocking look amazing. It has been very good. But our run blocking is a work in progress, it looked pretty good in situations not _&1. We stink at getting that 1 yard we need unless its Weeders ducking his head and pushing.
Ive been very pleased with Schwartz
Lauvao actually has seemingly had the light come on. He's getting it. No penalties, no pre-snap issues. He's doin his job well. No mistakes.
Mack is Mack...he's good. Still adjusting to the WCO blocking schemes, but starting to get it
Pinkston...get better man, please
Greco...our OL looks better with Greco out there I think. He's done a good job at LG where he's used to playing
JThomas...pro bowler having a slightly down year, think cuz of injury, but in the last 3 weeks he's been much more sharp

our RBs have been competent too. TRich you can see why he's a #3 pick, and if he can stay healthy he'll get it done. Game hasnt yet slowed down, but will soon enough, then its over. Oogie Boogie has been a great 3rd down guy, and a good upback too...we should use him as an upback some, or go pro style and have he and TRich out there. Hardesty has been good spelling TRich too (save for that fumble), which surprised me. I was REALLY down on him going into this year. BJax looks to be the biggest bust of a signing in new Browns FA history. He's played like 6 snaps in his year and a half so far. Oogie Boogie has allowed this to happen though so I'm not down on it. Sorry BJax.

WRs are a work in progress, but I think we have the group we want, but getting a midround guy this year would be cool. This could replace MoMass as he just doesnt help us. That being said right now we have 7 guys for 6 spots...who leaves? I'm thinking sorry Norwood.
Gordon has been amazing. Still learning big time, but I think we've found our guy. Also, i think that Shurmur and Chilly have done an AMAZING job giving him what he can handle. He has been thrown the ball in spots where he can succeed and more and more every week. that goes to Weeders too, but I havent seen a ball go to Gordon that ends up in a turnover or even a bat down. Weeders will throw it where no one can get it (cept the Giants INT).
Little is still a work in progress and needs to be a handsier pass catcher, but his run blocking is amazing. He's a must keep, just has to get his head on straight, which it seems has happened the past few weeks
Cooper looks good but has a tendency to drop a big ball. Weeders seems to trust him on 3rd down, but hes let 2 or 3 go through his hands already in big spots...He makes that grab on Sunday and he goes for 20+
Norwood...I think injury may lose your spot. Cooper looks to be doing what you were doing...to the same level, and as a rookie, youre in ur 3rd year in the league.
MoMass...sorry man, you were lookin good, but I think youre done here. Just cant stay healthy AND productive.
Benjamin has been good for a rookie. He is still getting used to the offense, and it doesnt seem Weeders quite trusts/knows how to use him yet. They havent quite gotten on the same page, save for 1 game. He is explosive though, and fast and dangerous. If those two click, its going to be scary good around here.

TEs are in need of one more guy. Wish we'd bring back Gronk. Watson is still doing okay, but not to the level of major success (which is why NE let him go). He is what he is, and to those thinking hes slowing...no, he's just never been that fast. He is what he is.
Cameron is good getting open, but hes never on the field when we run, and if he cant improve at that, he'll always be limited.
Alex Smith...a total and complete glue guy. He fills the cracks and is a great blocker. Love him. Hated him in Tampa, and loved when he got his head knocked off here, but now that he's here....Ive totally changed my tune on him. He's a beast, and is looking a lot smarter and less arrogant and dooshy.

FB: Please cut Marecic. The healthy scratch was his best game all year.

and QB: Weeders is a beast. He's doing everything needed to be good. He's progressing like a 29 year old would with consistent snaps, and being a rookie. Yea game 1 hurt, but since then its been very good. He's made mistakes, but that happens, even to good QBs...Brady had 3 ugly games that were Ls this year, it happens. He's played incredible the last few games.

on Defense:
I'll start with our corners.
Sheldon Brown...rumors of my demise are GREATLY exaggerated is his story. sheldon is the consumate pro. He does EVERYTHING expected of him, and to say he's lost a step is just plain wrong. He is the biggest point of contention in our guys right now. I think that Sheldon is a terrific 2nd corner, especially on this team. Look how much better our defense has been without Dimitri Patterson on the field. It goes down when Haden isnt there. It goes down when Sheldon isnt out there. It goes up when Patterson is out...hmmmm. Sheldon is fine, and still playing GREAT football. Those looking to get him out, are just looking the wrong way. He is stout against the run, he is a sure tackler, and is smart. Sheldon Brown is our Champ Bailey...just not quite as good. Sheldon is still an NFL starter though. Period, ill argue that to ANYONE that thinks otherwise.
Haden is the man. Our D with him and without him is completely different. Game changer, shutdowner.
Patterson...stinks. I just dont think he's good at all. Not physical, and not fast enough to make up for it.
Skrine is great though. He's small but scrappy and fast. What you need to be to get it done. He's a 5th rounder from a small school...hes been amazing with that knowledge. He's still adjusting to NFL speed and strength, and hes always right there, just a half inch from making the play. He's 23 years old...he'll be fine. Next year he could be a starter for us, but id prefer him in the nickel behind Sheldon and Joe.
Wade isnt up to NFL speed yet, but when he does he'll be serviceable. Bademosi hasnt seen any snaps, but he can play both safety and corner i think? Hes a demon on special teams though. Keep it up rook

Our safeties are our weak link right now.
Ward is a beast, and being a beast. He struggled for a bit with the thumb, but hes playing with 8 pins in it, and now hes playing well. Love the man.
Usama...sucks. He's always in the picture and never making the play.
Hagg...whered you go?
Ventrone...idk, great special teams, bad safety? He's only 29...is he our Jim Leonhard and we dont know? IDK, He's good where he is.
Gipson...hasnt been around since he got hurt. heal up and get it goin.

LBs:
DQ is having a pedestrian year...but man our defense looked like a dumpster fire when he was out. I think that is our answer there.
JMJ, now that hes healthy is playing well. Great strip on Mathews. I always see him and think its DQ...i cant tell em apart on the field for some silly reason. Its the J---SON...Thats a good problem to have though. Theyre both good.
Robertson started out like a house of fire, and since has slowed down. He makes plays though, so I'll keep him. He's the worst starter we have though, but he's a rook. He'll get there.
Fort...loved seeing you on the field. Havent as much of late, cept doing a good job on special teams.
Carder...good on special teams when he doesnt make that mistake that hes done a couple times. The rest of the time hes good. He's fast so could be a good LB when he gets up to speed.
Maiava. He's been better than advertised, but his advertisement was awful...so, hes been actually decent. Decent not good.
We miss ya Gocong
See Ya Scott

DL:
Winn is a man. He's killin it this year
Hughes has been exactly what we needed, but he needs to get a bigger push than he has. He gets blown back too often.
Rubin. Get healthy. He has had a real down year in my opinion. I kinda think that Kitchen has looked better than him. Maybe he's more a 3-4 guy? I'm interested to see what things look like with big Phil back...I wanna see what it looks like with Big Phil and the other guys...Hughes, Winn, and Kitchen, and see if it looks better than it does with Rubin...I think he may be overrated.
Kitchen has been okay, but not a great push...he holds the line, but doesnt do much else. He's been hit and miss...he's a rook though. He's improved as the year has gone on.
Big Phil...glad to have you back. Go hit Ray Rice this week...please.

Rucker has been as advertised. Good against the run, but overall not a huge standout. He's not 30 yet though, so he can still bring it, and i think we'll appreciate him MUCH more in November and December. Thats just my feeling. I think he's a mudder.
Parker...is a legit veteran. Doin his veteran thing. he's been a good pickup. Not a standout, but gettin the job done in limited time.
Sheard. Dealing with the extra coverage because no one else is a worry. Winn has excelled because of this. He's still learning, and when he adjusts and it clicks, he'll get it done. Also, having Big Phil back will help him immensely...especially if Rubin comes back healthy and strong. He's been good, but not great, but he's had a ton of extra attention. I think he's made Winn's job easier.
Stephens...he's young, and learning, and has done a good job Spelling Sheard and the guys on the far side. We have a good DE rotation. If we replace Parker at the end of the season with a go getter for the QB...just a pass rush guy to rotate with Rucker, we'll be golden.

Special teams:
Phil is the best. I'm sorry I ever doubted you 5 years ago...never again. Youre amazing.
Hodges...blech. He just hasnt rebounded since the injury. His punting has been horrible. I want Lanning back. or Maynard. or anyone.

Lastly...I wanna talk Cribbs. I left him off the WR talk. I wanted to talk him on separate.

Anyone that thinks Cribbs is expendable is out of their mind. His contract is up at the end of the year and we should give him a 6 year deal to stay here forever. he is a glue guy. He does ANYTHING and EVERYTHING needed to be done to get a win, and in the process he does a damn good job at it.
he is a phenomenal returner.
he is a phenomenal coverage guy on special teams
he is good with the ball in his hand. If that shoestrong tackle doesnt happen on Sunday he goes for a long way, and that was just a great tackle. If he doesnt have a holding penalty on EVERY friggen return, he has a top 2 average in the league and we have better field position. We have been put back inside the 20 not cuz of Cribbsy, but because of holding. If thered be no penalties on our returns, we'd have the ball at the 30 routinely. He almost never gets taken down before the 20. He has on occasion at like the 17, but thats it. Best returner in the game. and in the offense, if we'd use him more, he'd get it done there too. Hit him with gadget plays, hes good enough that even if the D knows its coming to him, he can make something happen. He's the Adrian Peterson of gadget plays...give him nothing to work with and we'll still get 4-5 yards, and if theres room...hey now.

Cribbs is the kind of player that the team needs around for as long as he plays. Lost a step? you must be outside of your mind
We should let him go at the end of the year? You must be outside of your mind

Ive read here that he's a player that looks good on a bad team because theres nothing else around him...thats just malarkey (hat tip to Joe Biden).
He's a glue guy, that will stand out when you have a bad roster, and will keep things together when the team is good and do all of the behind the scenes, dirty work that gets them over the top.
Cribbs = glue guy = must keep = must re-sign.

The one thing that confuses me as i write this...everything seems so positive...idk how we're 2-6 then.

We've been incredibly inconsistent. If all of the positive comes together we're gonna be scary good. We just have to put it all together at the same time.

And shurmur has to start dialing up some plays that net first downs and points, and our guys need to start making those winning plays. Skrine did it this week. Time to make more of those.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
Let's take a look at the draft..

TR.. Full time Starter
Weeden... Full Time Starter
Schwartz... Full Time Starter
Gordon... Full Time Starter
Hughes... Injury Replacement Starter
Benjamin... sub package player
JMJ... Injury Replacement Starter
Miller...
Winn... Injury Replacement Starter
Wade.. very little action.

FA's

Robertson... sub package player
Fort... very little action
Cooper... sub package player
Gipson.. very little action
Kitchen... rotational action

Bademosi.. special teams only.
Carder... special teams only

That is a lot of new parts. It is generally accepted that players most significant development is from Rookie to year 2, this is either a team that will see more turnover next year, or something good will happen.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
The only reason that Gipson hasn't played much is because he got hurt. (knee)

He was playing quite a bit in a rotation with Young earlier in the season. He had 7 tackles in parts of 4 games, then got hurt. I do think that the team likes him quite a bit at FS. He was supposed to be a solid player in college, with good ball skills.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
From what I saw of Gipson, he was not ready to be a starter.

Nothing against him, but it is too early to tell.

Legend
Legend
Oh, absolutely not. They were using him as a situational guy. I do think that they like him though, and are trying to develop him. Why else would they throw an UDFA onto the field that often when they had more experienced players available?

I would like to see Bademosi get worked into some of the sub defenses. I love his speed, and his ability to wrap up securely on tackles. He is also supposed to be a really smart player. I do thin that he could have a future as a situational guy.

(Full disclosure, Bademosi was my sleeper UDFA guy right after the draft)

Legend
Legend
I figured that this would fit here:

Cleveland Browns confident the 2nd-half of season will be better (video) | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/11/cleveland_browns_confident_the.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Joe Haden, Josh Cribbs, Joe Thomas and Brandon Weeden all feel the Cleveland Browns have improved and a better team than the one that started the season.

The second-half of the season begins Sunday when the Browns take on the Baltimore Ravens at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

(You'll have to go to the site to watch the video.)

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Half Season Review - More of the Good, Bad and Ugly.

Link Copied to Clipboard