Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I want a top player at DE, CB, FS, or LB. I wish we could see where Chris Cogong is in his recovery. As a SLB I think he is pretty darn good. Losing him this season really hurt our defense. Cogong, Jackson, and Robertson would have been a much better LB core. Therefore a WLB or ILB would be preferable.

But I think that Jarvis Jones plays SSLB, and I don't think we could pass on him. He's a beast and my top pick. I doubt he falls to us though. In the event that he doesn't, and depending on FA: DE, CB, FS, or LB. Whoever's the best.

Although trading into the mid-teens and getting another 2nd round pick wouldn't be a bad call at all. As long as it makes sense with how our board is set up and the rankings at least.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I know that you're kidding ... but man ... this would be the wrong year entirely to pick a QB high.

--------------------

You are so right...Gino Smith shouldnt be the first pick in the draft, If he is KC will be drafting 1st again next year, still looking for a QB, Barkley to me is the best and he's a mid to late 1st rounder,

We better not even look at the QB position

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I pretty much agree though a part of me still wants another corner, but that can probably wait. We need to pressure the QB.

With the depth at the DE position, we might be able to trade back, though it couldn't be very far.

We might be able to pick up a 2nd rounder, or at minimum another 3rd.

This right here. We have to get back into the second round or a high third round pick. We'll need to find a dance partner but if we can do that, this is our best option.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

I pretty much agree though a part of me still wants another corner, but that can probably wait. We need to pressure the QB.

With the depth at the DE position, we might be able to trade back, though it couldn't be very far.

We might be able to pick up a 2nd rounder, or at minimum another 3rd.

This right here. We have to get back into the second round or a high third round pick. We'll need to find a dance partner but if we can do that, this is our best option.

I was just thinking the same thing. Finding a dance partner may be the hardest part of all. There was alot of trading last year so that does give me hope we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick back.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It seems now that a rookie pay structure is in place that trading seems a lot more frequent. I do believe at #6 there will be a few teams that feel they are only a couple of players away from "being there" and will be looking for a trade with the new rookie cap in place.

But only time will tell....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Does anybody really think Te'o will be there at 6?

Wait until next Monday, I think you'll have a better idea. If he goes nuts and helps shut down Bama's running game, He will go in the top 10.

If Notre Dame's defense gets blown to pieces, I think he could fall back to the 20's or even the second round.

I do think the comparison to AJ Hawk is probably pretty accurate. I want to see how he measures out at the combine. Hawk is a nice player but need more impact out of these high picks. I think DE or pass rushing OLB are impact positions, as is CB. Gotta nail down one of those on draft day. I wouldn't mind moving back a bit too so maybe we can get back into the 2nd round.

Legend
Legend
I don't think this draft has the sort of impact playmaker that teams trade up for. No QBs or WRs, no elite CB, no stud DE (or we wouldn't even be considering trading back.) Only possibility I could see if some team thought there was one great OT and he wasn't picked when our number came up, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I don't think this draft has the sort of impact playmaker that teams trade up for. No QBs or WRs, no elite CB, no stud DE (or we wouldn't even be considering trading back.) Only possibility I could see if some team thought there was one great OT and he wasn't picked when our number came up, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You're probably right, but teams always get a little crazy about QB's. I can't see Matt Barkley getting that kind of interest with how his year went, but you never know.

It's not a QB draft. I wouldn't mind one late, but Matt Barkley and Geno Smith are not Andrew Luck and RG3.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Haslam's probably already asking anyone who'll listen what they think about Tyler Bray...

Jester #731735 12/31/12 11:37 AM
Legend
Legend
http://www.gbnreport.com/ (December 26th) Duron Carter is entering the draft. Guy is a stud, but may feel too entitled to work at it. If you're academically ineligible at Alabama, well...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

And of course we could fall in love with a Qb - Glennon from NCST perhaps?

IMO, If you don't like Brandon Weeden, there's no reason to like Mike Glennon. They're basically the same guy to me.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I don't dislike Tyler Bray, but not before the 3rd round.

Legend
Legend
By the way, Glennon is currently looking terrible today in what is essentially a home bowl game for Vanderbilt.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

By the way, Glennon is currently looking terrible today in what is essentially a home bowl game for Vanderbilt.

Dude, they won't put any clips from today's game in his Youtube highlight reel then. It's that easy.

FWIW I change my official stance. Tyler Bray will be our QB in 2013. That just makes too much sense.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
C
Legend
Legend
C
However bad Glennon looks he can't look as bad as Max Wittek looked for USC. One of the worst performances I've seen by a QB at any level.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Johnathan Banks will be better than Milliner.

Question, who was the last great CB in the NFL that came from Bama? I am starting to wonder if Saban maximizes their ability (which is great for him) but then guys don't get better in the NFL.

If we trade back.. I would love to get banks.. He is probably the best cover corner in the draft, and has good speed.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I have always loved Werner. That guy can flat take over a game.

Wouldn't mind Millner, but he's not dominating enough to take at 6.

Everytime I've watched Mingo, I"ve been so unimpressed. Same with his teammate Montgomery, who is now getting some bad pub from his strength coach.

I wouldn't mind Teo, and would love to see him behind this defensive line. Think he'd be the next great linebacker in the NFL. Move DQ to his more natural OLB spot.

Jones scares the crap out of me, and he doesn't fit the defense.

This draft is loaded with defensive players, but for the Browns, it's all the wrong spots. We don't need someone like Star. He's my best player in the draft, by far.

If we take a guard at 6, I'd be extremely pissed. We have already used enough high draft picks on our o-line. We need impact, skill spots. The core of the lines are solid, now is where you add your playmakers.

As for the QB's...ugh, horrible year for them. I would have taken a 2-3 round flier on Glennon, but he's getting far too much praise. The only guy I truly like is Wilson, but he doesn't really have an NFL arm. Reminds me a lot of Colt, just less accurate.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Move DQ to his more natural OLB spot.

I'm curious why you think that DQ's "natural" spot is OLB?

I don't see him as an OLB in any scheme. He is pure MLB/ILB as far as I see. What do you see that tells you differently?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
who else watching our possible future QB Tajh Boyd tonight?

i like this guy. hope he fairs well against LSU.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I just think that DQ's pass rushing and pass defending fits better at OLB. And his size would probably make him more ideal at that spot as well.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
i just posted in the other thread but it really belongs in here..

any one watching this Clemson/ LSU game? Tajh Boyd lookin good so far.. I hope he enters the draft.

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
Mingo is killing it as well...

JE159 #731748 12/31/12 11:41 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c

Is there some kind of rule against a team having a jersery colored like a football? You could run so many different sets from 'hide the shell", formations no one would know where the ball is.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #731749 01/01/13 12:19 AM
Legend
Legend
we gotta get Boyd if he comes out. dude showed poise all game even though LSU sent the house at him for 60 str8 minutes..

crazy game winning drive..

Legend
Legend
I disagree.

IMHO, DQ doesn't have the speed necessary to be a playmaker at OLB in the 4-3. I think that he is a pure MLB, and has decent speed for that position. I see no need to pass on other areas of real need to take a player who would either have to change positions, or who would force one of our better players to change positions.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

who else watching our possible future QB Tajh Boyd tonight?

i like this guy. hope he fairs well against LSU.

I like him, too, and he had a heck of a game last night. That throw on 4th and 16 was amazing.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I haven't seen Boyd play - I'm sure he's very talented - but he's listed at 6-1, 225. That means he'll be measured at 5-11-3/8, 209 at the Combine. Maybe he's Russell Wilson (RWII ?), but then again, maybe he's Troy Smith. Come to think of it, maybe Troy Smith would be a good fit as Boyd's backup in a Chip Kelly offense? At 28, he's younger than Weeden. Just thinking out loud ...

Dave #731753 01/01/13 12:16 PM
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Walterfootball.com has the Browns taking Manti Te'o with our first round pick.

I wouldn't mind this at all. Move Jackson at weakside LB and getting Gocong back, overall that looks like a pretty damn good starting linebacker position.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Last edited by Molly Hatchet Dawg; 01/01/13 12:19 PM.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
Dave #731754 01/01/13 12:32 PM
Legend
Legend
I forgot about Smith, lol.

I think I value a little speed over height now, especially after seeing Weeds have so many batted balls this season.

I only want Boyd tho if we get Kelly. Otherwise I would give Weeds another shot to grow as a QB.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I wouldn't mind this at all. Move Jackson at weakside LB and getting Gocong back, overall that looks like a pretty damn good starting linebacker position.

What happens if DQ cannot play weak-side LB?

I hate the idea of taking a guy who is been an inside LB for his entire career ,,,, who has never had to set an edge ...... lacks great speed ....... who is 29 years old ...... and who has torn both pecs in the past ..... and put him on the outside.

The only way Te'o makes any sense to me is if we go to a 3-4 ...... and Jackson wasn't more effective in the 4-3 than he was in the 3-4.

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Quote:

Quote:

What happens if DQ cannot play weak-side LB?

I hate the idea of taking a guy who is been an inside LB for his entire career ,,,, who has never had to set an edge ...... lacks great speed ....... who is 29 years old ...... and who has torn both pecs in the past ..... and put him on the outside.

The only way Te'o makes any sense to me is if we go to a 3-4 ...... and Jackson wasn't more effective in the 4-3 than he was in the 3-4.

Just throwing out ideas. Did Te'o ever play OLB in his career? I don't seem to recall. I've only seen him play the inside linebacker position.

Last edited by Molly Hatchet Dawg; 01/01/13 12:55 PM.

"My opinions and feelings are mine and shall not be influenced by anyone....especially liberals."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I've always wanted to move Jackson to WLB and we've never drafted in a way to do it.

While your point about his speed makes some sense, especially since at 29 he's probably slowed down a bit: Jackson is a very good open field tackler. I've always felt that he's been able to take good angles and he would be able to play to protect to the weakside's side line, and that while he's a good ILB, the position isn't suited as well for him as some bigger guys because he gets caught up in the blocks.

Now people have shown me stats last year showing his real improvement, but I still can't help but think that a bigger guy in the middle would be better with Jackson on the outside. Just by looks, 4-3 WLB seems to be his position.

Unfortunately, we've never seen him play it because we ran 3-4 with Romeo/Mangini and two years of 4-3 with Shurmur where he's been the MLB. But i've always wanted to give Jackson at WLB a try, and it's upsetting we never have. I get the age thing, but you never know until you try

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
When DQ first came into the league, he was undersized at 225# or so. Today he is around 240#, so he has put on some size and strength.

I also see a pass rusher as a far, far more pressing need for our defense. Further, I actually like our young LB corps. In the 4-3, you need a great pass rusher or 3. Frankly, we need a few great pass rushers no matter whether we stay with the 4-3, or switch to the 3-4. The only way, though, that I see a LB making sense in the first round is if he is a great pass rusher, or if we change back to the 3-4.

We have far more pressing needs than trying to replace a solid player like DQ.

Legend
Legend
I actually just thought of an alternative train of though concerning the draft ......

If the new coach is convinced that we need a new QB, then he is going to need assets to be able to move into position to get one. We are in the 6th spot in this year's draft, a position that could be advantageous if we want to trade down. Unfortunately, this draft also lacks a true impact QB, and there are none worth the #6 pick.

We might see a situation where we wind up doing a trade down (or 2 .. or more ...) in order to add future assets that can be used to find that franchise guy. (either through a trade in this year's draft, a future draft, or in a trade for a current backup)

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Haslam's probably already asking anyone who'll listen what they think about Tyler Bray...

I've rolled my eyes at all of the wild speculation that's become hardened truth around here ...

...but I do worry about Haslam getting too warm and fuzzy over Vols, like Jones has done with Razorbacks.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I tend to agree Steve, though you know as well as i teams have a way of falling in love with a player.

That said, at least at this point I think if we trade back it isn't going to be just a few slots. It will more than likely be a drop of 10 or more positions.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
Just throwing this out there while I'm watching the South Carolina vs Michigan game...

Lewan is doing a pretty darn good job going up against Clowney who, if allowed, would most definitely be the #1 pick this year...

Let's say Joeckel is off the board at 6 and some team wants to jump Arizona, who desperately needs OL help, to take Lewan...I like, many of you would love to find a way to add a 2nd round pick....According to the NFL Draft Trade Value Chart:

6th pick is 1600

Miami has the 12th and 42nd pick which is 1200 + 480
Tampa Bay has the 13th and 43rd pick which is 1150 + 470
Caolina has the 14th and 44th pick which is 1100 + 460

Depending on the coach, this could be a great range to pick up maybe T'eo if he falls to that point...but then DE's Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo (who looked impressive last night versus Clemson), Ezekiel Ansah, or CB Johnthan Banks or S Kenny Vaccaro...hell, even Chance Warmack would be feasible in that range.

As far as a second round pick...QB or maybe one of the TE's fall, not sure here as I really haven't looked at those players because of the fact that we don't have a pick....yet.

Would you trade down to pick in the 12-14 range and if so, who would you take there (or think will be available) and then who would you target with the 2nd round pick??

JE159 #731763 01/01/13 05:22 PM
Legend
Legend
Not really a shocker but Jadeveon Clowney will be the #1 pick in 2014 if he's healthy

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I've rolled my eyes at all of the wild speculation that's become hardened truth around here ...

...but I do worry about Haslam getting too warm and fuzzy over Vols, like Jones has done with Razorbacks.

I worry about that too.. I know for sure he will favor SEC guys.

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
The whole state of South Carolina went, "Oh SH*T" on that play!!!!

Even Clemson fans have to respect that play...might be the defensive play of the year so far.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NFL Draft thread

Link Copied to Clipboard