Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
On Fridays they do show with McNabb, Sharpe and Baldinger and they discuss every game and breakdown film.
All 3 picked Dallas to beat the Browns.No surprise.
But it got interesting when they discussed Brandon Weeden,Trent Richardson and the Browns woes in short yardage.
They broke down 2 stats on Weeden.
His red zone rating and 4th quarter rating. He's last in the NFL in both catagories.
Sterling Sharpe and Baldinger went to film and broke down Weeden's decision
making.
when he drops back he's looking to check down right away in the red zone.
He's not allowing the WR routes to develop downfield.
His feet are a dead giveaway as where he is going with the ball.
They were questioning the coaching on the offensive side.
with Richardson, they were showing how he is missing holes and trying to bounce everything out.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I noticed 2 weeks ago in the red zone one play he didn't give any time to develop. Had he waited the traditional 3 seconds Little became wide open. He was running a post (corner?) to the right of the endzone. Reed was covering him from mid field and he had a good 5 yards of separation horizontally.

I am not entirely sure what is wrong. When I see things like that happen I tend to cool off on my Shurmur bashing. Some combination of everyone screwing up is likely.

Everyone knew when we drafted Weeden that his primary weakness was handling pressure. His secondary weakness was footwork. It seems the pressure isn't just being rushed, it is intense situations. That'll need to be improved if we want to keep him around.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

When I see things like that happen I tend to cool off on my Shurmur bashing. Some combination of everyone screwing up is likely.

As with most things, there is almost never just one thing that you can point to to change that will auto-magically fix everything.
Everyone rants and rails about individual things in particular (like Shurmur) as if changing him alone would fix everything, and the sad fact is that no matter how bad he might be (we've had WAY worse) it just would not make the difference people let themselves believe.

No matter what - we are still starting what.... 5, 6, 8 rookies? A total of how many 1st & 2nd year players?
We're only a half season in for these kids. It feels like it's been forever to us, but I'd bet money that time is flying by for them and like Weeden said in his latest presser - they are ALL still seeing things that they've never seen before.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
This is where I think adding a savy veteran QB in the offseason and a crafty WR could have helped accelerated Weeden and the other WR's this year in FA.
guys that you didn't have to spend alot of $$$$ on,but players who's knowledge
of the game could really pay off dividends with such a young roster.
I'm curious to see whats Weeden's TD to INT will be the rest of the season.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

This is where I think adding a savy veteran QB in the offseason

Which "savy" veteran QB would you have added?

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
I would looked at Jason Campbell or Trent Edwards.

Legend
Legend
Who's to say we didn't look at Campbell? Would you want to come here and sit behind a rookie/Colt, or go to Chicago and be one Cutler injury away from leading a Contending team?

And Trent Edwards... REALLY?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
The good news is that all of that is fairly common in most rookies and it's all fixable.

I have almost zero concern about TRich getting better. Heck, if anybody made it to the post game interviews last night, CJ Spiller said the biggest thing he had to adjust to in the NFL was that a 4 yard run was good and that he was used to breaking 40-50 yard runs all of the time in college and he was dancing too much and bouncing too much outside looking for the big gain... I have no doubts Trent will adjust the same and this is a very temporary problem...

The part about Weeden is a bit more alarming but still fixable.... our OL has been pretty darn good so I'm not sure why he is in such a rush to check down and dump off.. in other years I would have understood that.... The feet as a tell is something that will have to be fixed in the offseason.. you don't work a lot on mechanics like that during the season...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I think that Weeden has been coached to have that clock in his head, and to get rid of the ball when the bell goes off.

He now needs to learn that he can hold the ball past the bell if he is getting the protection he needs. I think that this will be part of his maturation process.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
Heres some numbers that are interesting
in 2012 so far here are the target % from Weeden

54.4 WR
22.3 TE
23.2 RB
2011 Browns QBs
55.5 WR
27.8 TE
16.7 RB

here are the completion % from Weeden

48.6 WR
29.2 RB
22 TE
2011 Browns QBs
50.9 WR
28.6 TE
20.7 RB

some food for thought.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The OL has been opening holes but most have needed someone to blame for Richardson dancing. I think the injury has been a huge issue for him and we have all seen backs return from knee injuries and they are dancing instead of moving piles. Once he gets moving he will deliver the big blow but in that first couple of steps, he just lacks the initial explosion that was one of his biggest assets in college. It is improving and he has improved every week but still not there.

With Weeden, I am leaning towards a possible injury there as well. I am watching that Ravens game and he looked uncomfortable. He looked afraid to be hit and he really did not step into his throws.

He had been standing tall and driving the ball and he hasn't taken a lot of big hits that a gunshy QB takes. I think he had either a hip or rib injury but I dont remember seeing anything listed about an injury but from the way he was throwing I vote injury to the right side. He did not want to leave that right side exposed at all.

Legend
Legend
Honestly, I don't think that Weeden was properly prepared for the defense the Ravens ran, and they just confused the hell out of him.

Add in that the coaches couldn;t get plays called in time ..... and that just made things worse.

As far as the other poster with his numbers ..... here's one.

McCoy in 2011: 463 pass attempts, 5.9 yards/pass attempt, 26 pass plays of 20+ yards.

Weeden in 2012: 336 pass attempts, 6.21 yards/pass attempt, 29 pass plays of 20+ yards. (He is on pace for somewhere around 40 pass plays of 20+ yards for the season)

The Browns, as a team, scored 20 TDs in 2011. We have scored 15 TDs in 9 games in 2012.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The Browns, as a team, scored 20 TDs in 2011. We have scored 15 TDs in 9 games in 2012.

If only we had let other people play QB...

Last edited by OSGuy; 11/17/12 03:22 AM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
You would have made my day if you would have said Kyle Boller.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Here is the link to the video you speak of.

The video pretty much says Weeden is checking down too much. People had the same complaints about Colt McCoy.

It's the coach. Not the QB's.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You would have made my day if you would have said Kyle Boller.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Here is the link to the video you speak of.

The video pretty much says Weeden is checking down too much. People had the same complaints about Colt McCoy.

It's the coach. Not the QB's.

Thanks for posting the link.

Kendall, your first comments are badly misleading.

First, they only show one play on Richardson.

Watch it at 2:51.

Sure, Sharpe says "why did he cut back?" but if you watch the play, #58 is essentially unblocked and in the lane when Richardson is just getting the handoff. He can't possibly "follow the fullback." Furthermore, looking at the line in front of him there is absolutely nowhere to go. He can either run smack into the wall in front of him, run right into #58 if he follows the fullback, or go left...and get tackled without getting the first down. He had nowhere to go on that play. The line and whomever was supposed to block #58 failed. Miserably.

As for Weeden, all that video showed in the first part was that the coaching CHOSE to throw on 3rd and 1, and the plays were pathetic. That's an indictment against the coaches, not Weeden.

In the second part it shows Weeden coming off of his deep reads way too early and dumping the ball off. It's not possible to determine if that's the coaching or the QB. All we know is that he's going to the checkdown way too early on those plays.

It must be noted that it's easy to cherry-pick plays and it must be taken with a grain of salt with those talking heads.

Damned glad I saw the video instead of taking Kendall's words as what the video was about.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Heres some numbers that are interesting
in 2012 so far here are the target % from Weeden

54.4 WR
22.3 TE
23.2 RB
2011 Browns QBs
55.5 WR
27.8 TE
16.7 RB

here are the completion % from Weeden

48.6 WR
29.2 RB
22 TE
2011 Browns QBs
50.9 WR
28.6 TE
20.7 RB

some food for thought.

Good thing I wasn't hungry.. both dishes sucked

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
lol

Weeden throws the ball too soon: "he needs to hold on to the ball longer instead of checking down"

Weeden holds on too long: "he needs to get rid of the ball more quickly and stop taking sacks"

I say we take a poll here as to the exact amount of time we think he should be waiting before throwing. Once we get a result, we can petition the team to put a timer in Weeden's helmet set for that time, and tell him he must throw as soon as the timer goes off, regardless of circumstances. That way everyone will be happy.

Legend
Legend
3-4 secs.. and make a decision.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

This is where I think adding a savy veteran QB in the offseason and a crafty WR could have helped accelerated Weeden.

The Browns didn't need to add another WR because Carlton Mitchell was going to take the proverbial 3rd year leap and become a legit receiver.

What's Jordan Norwood up to these days?

Legend
Legend
He's on IR, troll.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

The King of the Shack

Mosey into a more fitting forum for your posts.

Without lucking into AJ Green, you could bank on the Bengals being at 3-7 right now.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
1st String
1st String
Well think that Richardson will be an elite RB. When all is said and done. He is new and a rookie. So give him time to develop. If he can stay injury free!

June Summertime 2024!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Tired of this excuse, Doug Martin seems to be playing just fine as a rookie. T-Rich needs to step it up and stop blaming injury everytime he gets stuffed at the goalline, or dropped for a loss. Tired of hearing excuses out of the players, coaches, and fans. Point is there are other rookies doing it, while ours are whining about plays ran in practice, and "injuries" when they are convenient.

This current team has potential but needs to stop playing the sympathy card, and start playing football.

#brownsgoodkarma
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
This doesn't seem like something that should get it's own thread, and last week's thread is about to disappear, so this thread is the sweet spot...
web page

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer
on November 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM, updated November 24, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Print

Email

Email

Brought to you by

Cleveland Browns' Brandon Weeden said the Browns ran routes in Dallas that they hadn't practiced during the week.

Joey Morona, cleveland.com BEREA, Ohio -- Quarterback Brandon Weeden, in explaining some of his high throws during Sunday's 23-20 overtime loss in Dallas, lamented the fact that the Browns ran some routes that weren't practiced during the week.

"There's a couple of routes we ran on Sunday for the first time all week and that's not fair to me, it's not fair to the receivers, it's not fair to any of us, because when you're getting thrown in the fire and the bullets are flying . . ." Weeden trailed off on that thought and went on to explain that his elbow was low on some of his throws.

In response to the route issue, coach Pat Shurmur said: "I disagree with some of that because I do think that we make an effort of the ones we're going to call we practice. A lot of the plays that we practice, we've been running all year and you run them in training camp. It's nearly impossible with the amount of time and then the length of the season to practice every single thing multiple times. You see it going on behind me (after practice) right now. They spend extra time working on the individual routes. That's what you've got to do."

Weeden acknowledged that it would be impossible to simulate every route in practice.

"These guys can't run forever," he said. "You want to make sure they're fresh throughout the week. And so if we're doing routes and I throw Josh (Cooper) a comeback, when we get in team period I probably won't throw it to him. I'll probably make him my backside read just so I can throw other routes to other guys. You try to spread them out and you know what you're throwing. You've just got to be constant about it because most plays we only run once a practice.

"That means you're throwing to one receiver. That means two or three receivers aren't getting a touch, aren't getting a catch, they're not getting the ball thrown their way. That's tough on them, so (it's) just limited amount of reps. We can't be out there for three hours and we can't go out and run every single route and make every throw. It's tough. That's why I like to do it after practice, walk through them or whatever. And you look at guys like Peyton Manning, that's what he does. Those guys are on point because he takes a lot of pride in being on time with all of his guys."

Receiver Mohamed Massaquoui didn't think it was an issue.

"Sometimes you may not be sure if you're going to run a play in a game and then you see a look presents itself, and you didn't really put emphasis on it in practice but it's available for the game, so you run it," he said. "It's not a matter of if we have enough time to practice. We make sure we get our base fundamental stuff in."

Weeden, who completed 57.1 percent of his passes in Dallas, said he went back and watched all 35 pass plays a third time and then ran through 15 routes after practice on Wednesday. He also worked on them after practice on Friday.

I would have to actually see the interview in order to be sure, but on the surface this sounds like whining and excuse-making on Weeden's part.

Mass sure doesn't seem to think it should have been a problem, and he's no rookie.

If you have run these things in the recent past and you know how it's supposed to be run, there really aren't any excuses for why you missed a throw. Then he goes on to talk about his elbow being too low? So is it the coaches or your technique which caused the wobbly balls to come out?

It's tough saying this about a 29-year old, but...

Settle down, Rookie. I don't see any other players blaming the coaches for their screw-ups...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
Weeds.. how long have you been throwing a football? it's called accuracy, and when we have guys wide open, more times than not you miss them.. FIX IT and we win more ball games.

SIMPLE!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Wow. Weeds becoming more and more of a loser with each passing week.

Unbelievable. He's trying to save his own arse at anyone's expense. Absolutely pathetic.

Mass hit the nail on the head. Weeden is being a baby. How's that for a mature, winning attitude in a QB?

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Mass sure doesn't seem to think it should have been a problem, and he's no rookie.

He's also a busted pick in a contract year...

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Mass hit the nail on the head. Weeden is being a baby. How's that for a mature, winning attitude in a QB?

Maybe if the players or coaches in the locker room had given him some grief he would have manned-up and accepted blame.

That's some whiny crap for any rookie, but it's especially sorry for your QB, nevermind a QB who is 29.

He blew it, pure and simple. I'll give him one moment of blurting crap out due to frustration, but if it happens again it means he's a little beoch. He's not playing flag-football in the Big-12 anymore. This is the first time he's been in the big-boy league and he's getting 2nd's and 3rd's of humble pie...and he doesn't like the taste.

I'm trying to find reasons to believe in you, Weeden. STFU with blaming others and take Richardson's lead of accepting all the blame on yourself.

Legend
Legend
He may get the Peyton Hillis treatment.. lol..

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Is Cribbs still qualified to be a team leader? And if he is, how awkward would it be to look Weeden in the eye and say "Listen, rookie, that's not how you act" when Cribbs is younger than him?!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I'm trying to find reasons to believe in you, Weeden. STFU with blaming others and take Richardson's lead of accepting all the blame on yourself.

Quite the contrast in leadership between Richardson and Weeden.

I absolutely despise what Weeden said. He knows Shurmur isn't going to be here next year and decided to use that as a way to make a case for himself. Unreal. Not the behavior I want my QB to exhibit. If you have an issue with the plays being called, talk to Patsy behind closed doors. Even though your coach is dead man walking, if you are a leader, you know what you just did is not acceptable. Saying "it's not fair to me or the receivers" ... really? ... I mean did I read that right?

I'm half tempted to say start McCoy against the Steelers and I'm about as big a non-McCoy fan as you can get. It just keeps getting worse with Weeden every week whether its his play on the field or his mouth.

Why can't we get someone here has skill and leadership? What is the big mystery with this damn organization? When is someone going to say enough is enough?

Haslam / Banner ... hope you are those guys.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

...and he continues to do his best impression of Derek Anderson.

Legend
Legend
It's all in "how" he said it aswell.

He could make the same basic statement, but say "Yeah on that throw, that was a play we hadn't really practiced much, so the routes were a little new to me, just something we all have to work on.."

Same statement. But you take out the "it's not fair" part. Sounds completely different.

Legend
Legend
yea.. nothing is fair in this league.. accept it.. shut up.. and just win!

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I think this is the whole issue with this Cleveland Browns team right now in general.

While we have a ton of talent, there seems to be a ton of "it's not my fault" thinking, which is submarining whats happening. I think Trent comes from a different place, and has a maturity beyond his years that comes from having two children at a young age, and then working his tail off to become what he has become and playing at Bama where all you do is win, and if you lose...its everyone's fault.

But the issue is...1 voice doesnt overcome the rest.

We seem to have a bunch of finger pointing to why/where we're losing. We dont have everyone on the same page. When Shurmur makes bad play calls and says the guys need to hit these marks...that deflects blame, Weeden saying we didnt practice these routes points the finger...Cribbs saying i need the ball more points the finger. OUTSIDE of TRICH all of the fingers are being pointed outwardly and its submarining our chances to win. Until everyone can go...I gotta do better and we gotta do better...and then make sure you do...we're not gonna win games and will continue to "be close" but not there.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

I think this is the whole issue with this Cleveland Browns team right now in general.

While we have a ton of talent, there seems to be a ton of "it's not my fault" thinking, which is submarining whats happening. I think Trent comes from a different place, and has a maturity beyond his years that comes from having two children at a young age, and then working his tail off to become what he has become and playing at Bama where all you do is win, and if you lose...its everyone's fault.

But the issue is...1 voice doesnt overcome the rest.

We seem to have a bunch of finger pointing to why/where we're losing. We dont have everyone on the same page. When Shurmur makes bad play calls and says the guys need to hit these marks...that deflects blame, Weeden saying we didnt practice these routes points the finger...Cribbs saying i need the ball more points the finger. OUTSIDE of TRICH all of the fingers are being pointed outwardly and its submarining our chances to win. Until everyone can go...I gotta do better and we gotta do better...and then make sure you do...we're not gonna win games and will continue to "be close" but not there.

I agree with what your saying here. Shurmur has tossed Weeden under the bus a few times and now Weeden is tossing him under the bus. No one wants to take responsibilty for the play on the field and its coming from the top down (meaning Shurmur). He is the supposed leader and the players see him make excuses and then they follow in the same way.
To much excuse making and not enough play making.We are close to winning but that means we are losing.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Shurmur has tossed Weeden under the bus a few times and now Weeden is tossing him under the bus.

I believe I saw Shurmur tossing Weeden under the bus during games.
If you have two leaders ( Cribbs ) on your team coming out and talking about a coach maybe it is the coaches fault. I am all for backing your coach but if he is an idiot its hard to follow blindly.

Joe Thomas #73
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Weeden hasn't earned the right to open his pie hole just yet. Shut up and play rookie. If you do enough to stick (definitely not a given at this point), THEN you can speak. Maybe.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Watching NFL Network..Weeden,TRich

Link Copied to Clipboard