O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O

Which do you believe to be true?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 11/20/12 12:33 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
I do not believe that "in God's image" has a thing to do with the human body.

We have a soul ...... and that's what is created in God's image. These physical bodies could have been anything, and God just chose these to house our souls.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Where's the God created the universe with the Big Bang and then nature took its course without God's guidance radio button?

Do I believe that God is actively guiding every thing that happens to everyone? No. But do I believe that a divine entity set this thing in motion? Yes I do.

I'm a skeptic that believes in the traditional view of science. I'm also one that sees the amazing wonder that is the universe and can't fathom it occurring without divine intervention.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
God is a concept created by man to satisfy his inherent need to explain phenomena he cannot himself explain. This also provides sufficient psychological comfort to many who are suspect to fear of the unknown.

Then again how does one define the term God? It would seem to me that there are a multitude of interpretations available depending upon culture. Who's definition is the "right" definition. I suppose this is another question in its own right.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Now you've done it..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Where's the God created the universe with the Big Bang and then nature took its course without God's guidance radio button?

If it were truly my question I would include that and about 4 or 5 other options. However, this isn't actually my own question. I've simply copied over something I'd read as a sort of microcosmic anthropological trial.

For the sake of the integrity of the narrow-banded question I'd just ask for folks to select from the three options and accept my apologies for the lack of greater choices. Any theological or spiritual questions that this brings to the surface fall outside the scope of the question but of course are more than welcome. I just won't be commenting, hehe.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

If it were truly my question I would include that and about 4 or 5 other options. However, this isn't actually my own question. I've simply copied over something I'd read as a sort of microcosmic anthropological trial.

For the sake of the integrity of the narrow-banded question I'd just ask for folks to select from the three options and accept my apologies for the lack of greater choices. Any theological or spiritual questions that this brings to the surface fall outside the scope of the question but of course are more than welcome. I just won't be commenting, hehe.

For anyone who is interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_argument

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
Legend
Legend
Reminds me of the Woody Allen movie "Love and Death."

Sonia (Diane Keaton): Of course there's a God, we're made in his image!

Boris (Woody Allen): You think I was made in God's image? You think he wears glasses?

Sonia: Not with those frames.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
I think we're just an ant farm that once belonged to an adolescent deity for a school project, got placed on a shelf (so to speak) and forgotten about.

#GMSTRONG
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I do not believe that "in God's image" has a thing to do with the human body.

We have a soul ...... and that's what is created in God's image. These physical bodies could have been anything, and God just chose these to house our souls.

That's an interesting viewpoint which I hadn't considered.

It's interesting seeing the results, even though it's a small sample.

The motivation behind this was something I read. Gallup did a poll which gave these three options. According to the article, a whopping 46% stated that we were made in God's image at some point in the last 10k years when the Earth was created. I found it very hard to believe that such a large number would ignore scientific fact, so I wanted to throw it here.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The idea of God is a crutch that helps to deal with the dark and unknown.

O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Got you down for partial-involvement. Check.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

I found it very hard to believe that such a large number would ignore scientific fact, so I wanted to throw it here.

You are aware that most Americans believe in Creationism over Evolution, right?

America seems to have a hard time dealing with science based factual information.

O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Seeing as how I'd read that Gallup has been reporting that 46% number for some twenty years, yeah, I was aware how the country felt.

I'm not going to go down the theological road here. I simply wanted to conduct my own microcosmic experiment to see if a tiny sample here agreed with that number. So far, they don't.

I'll save the words "carbon dating" for a thread in a different forum...

Legend
Legend
I see no reason why creation and evolution have to be mutually exclusive.

If God created the universe, then he also created the rules that govern the universe, and the processes and science that were involved in that creation and governance. Why would God create the universe using one set of rules, then govern it using another? That would be illogical.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The idea of God is a crutch that helps to deal with the dark and unknown.

That's what the Devil wants you to believe PDR

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Let me get back to you on that one. It's a great topic to discuss.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

God created man to satisfy his inherent need to explain himself.

Fixed it for ya!

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I believe in God. I believe in evolution. I believe God has a reason to allow/design/create evolution.

You wouldn't give a machine gun to a 3 year old. (Well, some of you might.) You need time and experience to understand the world around you and your place in it before you can be expected to function with any responsibility. Humans needed time to accumulate a tribal knowledge of food collection and sheltering and community before they could understand duty and language and war before they could understand and discourse and compromise.

There is a baseline of understanding that is needed for us to poke away at our iPads or buy burgers from YTown or make the next James Bond movie or research cures for diseases.

In some ways, evolution has stopped... instead we're evolving our living situations, our protections from or cures against the environment, but in many ways, we're still evolving. Some day people may look at our society and see it as primitive as we might see the Sumerians, or even the cavemen.

I'm not just referring to civilization. Well, maybe I'm only commenting on it, but I believe it stretches further back than that. Every skill we have as people is a progression of a primitive skill, from a master chef's food preparation down to a single cell engulfing another; from an NFL running back shaking defenders to a tiny fish eluding a bigger fish; from an artist's masterpiece to a bird's mating dance or butterfly's wings or peacock's plumage.

I'm not clever enough to put into words the concept in my head, but I believe without the past experiences of our global history, we cannot appreciate the present, and cannot improve the future. I believe it much more likely that God created the cosmos with the possibility of life in its simplest form with the limited ability to adapt to its surroundings. Over time, as those beings grew more and more capable in mastering and thriving in their environments, they became more complex and better able to understand and adapt in ways that made their lives easier. But it wasn't until eating was mastered and until breathing (underwater, too) was mastered that youth-rearing was developed then family and community, etc. The idea that DC or TopDawg was just plopped onto the earth with the message "here, have at it" seems pretty implausible to me (maybe not to Jules) especially done by one as smart as God.

That's my wandering take on it, at least.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Depends on what belief system you follow, honestly. Many denominations of Christianity believe in a literal seven day creation period in which evolution cannot physically happen. Evolution takes a very long time.

Then you have the denominations which don't believe in a literal seven day creation. The problem with this is that The Bible is supposed to be the word of God. If you see one story as symbolic, what is literal? This gets away from evolution but it's fundamental to introducing intelligent design in the classroom. Leave the religious dogma out of the classroom.

Quote:

Why would God create the universe using one set of rules, then govern it using another?

How could you scientifically explain how all animals evolved in a single day? It's scientifically impossible. Sorry, divine intervention/magic aren't good explanations for me because there is no such evidence for them.

Quote:

If God created the universe, then he also created the rules that govern the universe,

What rules would govern this creator? Where would this creator have come from (Hey, no one knows where the singularity came from, either)? How could he create things which violate his own specific rules? Scientific proof of evolution, plate tectonics, and cosmological studies shows that 4.54 billion years cannot be fit into a period of 168 hours. I know the verse of God's view on time but that comes MUCH later than the nice story of Genesis.

Quote:

and the processes and science that were involved in that creation and governance.

Science was born out of natural inquisitive human minds.

Legend
Legend
Here is the problem with all of that. Science can not prove what God says was ONE DAY back then. So we are back to faith

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Exactly.

What is a day before the Earth was created? Is God solely and wholly dependent upon the rotation of the Earth around the sun? Personally, I doubt that the creator is reliant and/or dependent upon his creation.

I have long held the idea that the Bible was written, not only to future generations, but also to those living at the time it was written. How many people in those days would have understood "4 billion years ago, God created the earth ....." Not many. Most people could not even read back then. The Bible, and/or the books that make up the Bible, were written to be accessible to the people of the time. There was a heavy use of parables and stories to teach lessons. There was no "sitting down at the chalkboard", as it was, to teach literal truths of science. It was created to teach mankind the lessons of God, and mankind's relationship to each other and to God.

T
Legend
Legend
T
First thing that jumps out to me, is the title is missing something.

Somehow I"m sure it's supposed to be God created man in His own image.

Male and female created He them.

Legend
Legend
RO... That a strict literal interpretation of Genesis doesn't stand up to our modern collection of facts does not preclude the existence of what would ostensibly be described as God or The Creator.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I believe in God, and intelligent design, and I'll leave it at that.

LET'S GO BROWNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Linked Image]
[b]WOOF WOOF[b]
Legend
Legend
A question for my fellow Christians. I have seen this posted before. What are the "two books of creation?" Is that a reference to the Old and New Testament?

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Well, in Genesis there are two creation accounts (one for the physical world and everything in it and one for mankind specifically). However, I THINK the "two books of creation" is a reference to the Bible and our natural world. Theologians have sometimes referred to these two entities as two "books" which, when "read" together, reveal our creator God. For people of faith, this kind of makes sense. We read about God's creative work in Genesis, but we can experience the result of his creative hands by just looking at the world around us.

Hope this helps you out.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Legend
Legend
Thank you. Is it cool if I pm you any questions I have about the bible? If anyone else would be willing to help me let me know.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Any time. I can't claim to have all the answers, but if I can help, I'd be glad to.

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

So we are back to faith

That's it in a nutshell. It comes down to what you believe. God can't be explained by science - it's a faith/belief thing. I'm not going to (ever) argue the subject. I believe in God and evolution. I think that God had/has a hand in all of it. If someone believes differently, that's their right and that's fine. I'd hate to NOT believe and find out I was wrong after I died, though!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Quote:

If you are not a biblical literalist, I suppose they don't have to be. For those who maintain the inerrancy of the Bible, however, they are mutually exclusive. And I'm not simply referring to the technical details. Perhaps the most significant implication of evolutionary theory, and related cosmological theories, is the destruction of the Great Chain of Being. The Bible clearly establishes Man as master of Nature. This relationship is crucial for the entire Judeo-Christian theological system. Evolution, and other such scientifically asserted theories, demonstrate that, contrary to the Biblical narrative, Nature is master of Man. And the more we learn about the vastness of the universe, the more insignificant we become. If our existence is, in fact, attributable to a God, the more we learn about Man and Nature, the more we appear to be God's forgotten children.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

In some ways, I do believe science and God go hand in hand.

Firstly, we know there was an ice age and that earth was basicly "created" into a new form from the melting of the glaciers. Lands were leveled and mountain ranges were formed. The ending of the ice age created a situation that made earth much more inhabitable for man.

The big bang theory also tends to be much more of a theory that lends itself to Biblical scripture.

And I don't see evolution as being some theory that disputes creation based on hard evidence. If in fact a being is capable of creating things, he is also capable of allowing things to evolve to suit their environment better.

If man has had any real impact on anything, it's speeding up far more things becoming extinct much quicker than they would have done naturaly, as his greed is a much higher priority than anything God may have ever created.

And even for many who profess to believe in him, they simply refuse or repudiate the compassion and giving nature of Jesus Christ himself. I can see why so many as they grow up feel the need to question his existance and why greed is considered a deadly sin.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If you are not a biblical literalist, I suppose they don't have to be. For those who maintain the inerrancy of the Bible, however, they are mutually exclusive. And I'm not simply referring to the technical details. Perhaps the most significant implication of evolutionary theory, and related cosmological theories, is the destruction of the Great Chain of Being. The Bible clearly establishes Man as master of Nature. This relationship is crucial for the entire Judeo-Christian theological system. Evolution, and other such scientifically asserted theories, demonstrate that, contrary to the Biblical narrative, Nature is master of Man. And the more we learn about the vastness of the universe, the more insignificant we become. If our existence is, in fact, attributable to a God, the more we learn about Man and Nature, the more we appear to be God's forgotten children.

Just my .02

I believe that the Bible is mostly accurate and CAN be taken literally when you look at the original Hebrew text. The word for "day" can actually be translated as "period of time" and has been used in other places where the chose to translate it as "year." I also believe that the Bible lines perfectly with observation and science. I have seen research and do not believe with the blind faith of the third category. A website that you could look at for more on my views is www.evidenceunseen.com by James Rochford. However, I am not completely sold on the idea of evolution. I have not taken a hard side one way or the other, but it has yet to fill in crucial holes that make a fluid transition from primate to human. As scientists are still making discoveries that go against what they previously thought to be true, I think I am right to be cautious. However, it they do eventually find hard evidence, I will of course align myself with that because God could work in any way he chooses.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus God created Man in his image

Link Copied to Clipboard