Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
I'm watching the games over Thanksgiving and thinking how close are the Browns
to being a legit playoff team?
I'm not talking about a team that is surprise pick by the NFL Network guys,but a bonafide team that is included in the conversation with the Texans, Broncos and Ravens.
some common threads I noticed between playoff teams or teams right on the doorstep.

1. QB that has a premium 4th q. passer rating. In other words a QB that makes
plays downfield when the game is on the line.

2. a combination of 3-4 playmakers between the WRs,TEs, and RBs

3. a O-line that has solid depth. and a o-lineman that can play a couple positions
on the o-line.a swing player.

4. A 2nd TE or FB that can produce on 3rd down or the red zone.

5. On defense, a double digit pass rusher.

6. A DT/NG that can create havoc in the middle.

7.At least one CB that can play the run and pass effectively.

8. A solid front office that who's draft record is solid and knows how to be
fiscally smart in free agency and acquire players that still have enough productivity in the "tank"

9. Leadership.

thoughts?

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'll play along. Let's assume your list is accurate.

You can argue we have #3.

Otherwise, we are missing 8 of your 9 ingredients for success.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I think we need at least one demon linebacker and one top notch safety and at least a solid pro cornerback on defense. D'line in fine IMO - I love it. So that's 3 players on defense.

I think we need a solid multi-purpose young TE, maybe one or two solid linemen to backup, one reliable vet WR and our QB to at least be consistently solid. Oh, and a fullback. So that's 4-6 players on offense.

7-9 players. And then everyone needs to stay healthy for the most part.

I think that's the bare minimum, player wise, to make us a playoff contender. And of course a new head coach.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
R
Legend
Legend
R
Reading your post was awfully depressing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We are a coach away. provided we keep heckert

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I don't think that we need as many players as you do to contend .....

On defense, give me a demonic pass rusher, and a decent Safety. Those 2 moves would make this defense 10 times better. Young is lost in center field ...... Hagg showed some promise in the last game, then rode the pine ....... and Gipson played.

I want to see Bademosi play in the secondary at either CB or S. I think that he can play either .... and he did a really nice job at slot CB against the Cowboys. He had 1 of only 4 pass break-ups in that game, and he only played a handful of defensive snaps. He is a sure and explosive tackler on special teams, and seems to be a very smart player. I think that he can help us.

On offense, I want a great TE who can get down the seam, and who can block. Maybe even give me 2. (depending on how Cameron develops over the rest of the season) Hell, the Patriots drafted 2 TE in one draft, and both became extremely productive. Why can't we? Our OL can be a very good one, and if Pinkston can come back healthy, then we probably need one backup who can play T. (to replace Cousins) We might be able to find this type of player in another team's cuts. (as we did with Greco)

I see no real need for a FB. WE can play 2 RB instead, and get hands plus blocking ..... plus more overall ability. I would like to see us play Richardson and Ogbonnaya on 3rd downs. Each guy can run, catch, and block ..... so why tip teams off to what we're doing by dragging a FB into the game? I would rather have an extra TE than a traditional FB at this point.

I don't think that we're going to see a veteran WR if Little and Gordon continue to develop, and if Norwood/Cooper show that they can be effective in the slot.

Frankly, I am wondering who gets cut when Nowrood returns. Maybe we keep 6 WR?

QB is, of course, a key .... and it's that way for every team until they find that guy. A great QB can cover a multitude of sins. I think that Weeds can be an upper tier type guy .... but he has some work to do in a number of areas. Luckily none of those are impossible, IMHO.

So, my list would be ... at the minimum ....

1) A ferocious pass rusher
2) A TE who can make plays down the seam
3) A plus level S
4) Backup talent on the OL

I don't think that's an unreasonable list for an off-season.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Texans, Broncos and Ravens

A team has to be one of 12 reams to be a playoff team. Your standard looks at top five teams. We dont to have to be a top five team to be a playoff team. The players needed to be a playoff team is much less than to be a top five team.

Joe Thomas #73
T
Legend
Legend
T
Not to argue, but just to make a note of.

It is total wrong thinking to think that removing and adding a player here and there and there is what is the problem.

The problem is gettting the whole package of the team to be able to maneuver through the game situations that allow for the plays to be made that make our teams guys, look like the guys you are looking for.

Whether that is the coaches' responsibility, or the groups of players on the field responsiblity, or the individual players responsibillity, can be debated all day.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
We need guys to make plays. Thats what we need to become a playoff team.

If we couldve gotten one 3rd down stop against the Cowboys on that last drive instead of penalties we wouldve had a win. That'd bring us to 3-7

If Fort catches that INT or cover that TE a lil better against Philly...or get one or two more first downs...we win. 4-6

Josh Gordon catches that ball v. Indy 5-5

Weeders gets that TD v. Baltimore in Baltimore and we take em to OT and get a win 6-4

Against Buffalo...make one play early in the 5th quarter to get us in field goal range...or not let Stevie Johnson get that TD v. us to bury us in the 4th. 7-3

Not Let Pacman get loose or Andrew Hawkins get loose in the first game against Cincy 8-2

2nd time against Baltimore...get off the field on ONE third down. 9-1

Run smart plays on that up 17-10 drive v. the Giants...10-0

You look at those game situations...and theres 1-2 two plays or a drive that directly led to our demise in those games. We need our guys to make plays. Every single game this year we've had a chance to win.

Its getting cliche from Shurmur to hear that we battled and we just have to get it done...but hes 100% right. We just gotta make those plays. Get it done and we win. Hes also very culpable, and I wish he would say, if I made this call instead maybe...but I at the same time, like that he doesnt question himself.

I dont know what I'm saying on that...I think he needs more time, I dont think we're far off. Everyone looks at the record and thinks that were far away...but I dont think that we are.

If we can get a thudder LB (Tei'o) a CB (i think that Skrine, Brown, Bademosi can be that guy...we absolutely have to replace Patterson who is akin to Poteat, Ralph Brown, BMac, EWright etc...), and a safety (really if Hagg or Gipson can just develop...which Jauron has shown the ability to do) we could be really good.

What scares me...is that Jauron's defenses have never been elite...he's always struggled to get off the field on 3rd down. Will he hold us back? I dont know.
Shurmur has never led an offense that has been very good...although he was involved in Philly. Chilly has never been an offensive genius.

I sometimes worry that our coaching staff might hold us back...We might be better off with youth everywhere. young competitive guys that have good ideas. Look at Schiano...He took a team similar to ours and made them competitive just with coaching...Theyre young and have guys that are young in all the same spots...

We're not far...IDK what that x-factor is that can put us over the top...but I hope that Haslam and Banner can find it. If its just players, if its just time in the system to not have to think and just play, or if its coaches, or what...I hope they find it. Cuz were right there.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
I don't get the Patterson hate.

He has been our 2nd best CB when he's been on the field. He's just not a guy who can cover an elite receiver. He was asked to be that #1 guy, and that's not his role .... but he is a very good CB to cover a #2-3 receiver.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm watching the games over Thanksgiving and thinking how close are the Browns
to being a legit playoff team?
I'm not talking about a team that is surprise pick by the NFL Network guys,but a bonafide team that is included in the conversation with the Texans, Broncos and Ravens.
some common threads I noticed between playoff teams or teams right on the doorstep.

1. QB that has a premium 4th q. passer rating. In other words a QB that makes
plays downfield when the game is on the line.

2. a combination of 3-4 playmakers between the WRs,TEs, and RBs

3. a O-line that has solid depth. and a o-lineman that can play a couple positions
on the o-line.a swing player.

4. A 2nd TE or FB that can produce on 3rd down or the red zone.

5. On defense, a double digit pass rusher.

6. A DT/NG that can create havoc in the middle.

7.At least one CB that can play the run and pass effectively.

8. A solid front office that who's draft record is solid and knows how to be
fiscally smart in free agency and acquire players that still have enough productivity in the "tank"

9. Leadership.

thoughts?

1. I'm not convinced yet that we have the QB you describe. I suppose he could become that however

2. We might have the WR's. Little came alive last week and Gordon has shown very nice ability.. could be star quality.. Watson is solid but long in the tooth. We'll need another TE if Cameron doesn't come alive. I'm liking Alex Smith at FB/TE. might be the best role for him.

Still, we need one more there.

3. This I think we have..

4 I touched on that in 2.. we could use a stud TE.

5. We might actually have that in Sheard.. with Hughes, Winn, Taylor and Rubin, we may what could become a solid if not superior Dline.

6. See #5

7, we have one, we need another.

8. I think you could argue we have that right now. Given the new ownership, not sure what they'll do and frankly I don't care. If they improve upon Heckert, then I got no issues.

9. We have a few leaders, DQ,, Josh Cribbs but I think your speaking of either a HC or a player like a Ray Lewis type guy that sets the tone for the whole team. We don't have that.

We don't seem to have a killer instinct. I mean, they all talk a good game, but when it comes to being a killer on field, ehh. not really showing up there.

We have some holes,, biggest may end up being #1. Fill that and maybe the rest won't be such a hang up.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
It may be that not all the playoff teams will fit these particular criteria.

1. TBD with Weeden. Hard to say if Flacco fits the bill all of the time.
2. Gordon and Little fit the bill / are growing into it. We will see how Richardson develops. Cameron/Watson/Smith leaves something to be desired.
3. Greco is our swing player. Rest of the depth probably isn't starter material yet.
4. Cameron should arguably be producing in the end zone (bad pass this week). Alex Smith would have week 1 had Weeden been on target. Watson got two last week.
5. An elite caliber RDE would make this DL insane. Sheard is a quality rusher. We will see what they do with Winn. From what I understand this could be a high quality player early next draft. I hope they consider it.
6. Phil Taylor? Check. Ahtyba Rubin? Check
7. Haden? Check. Good enough to be a #1 no doubt, even when injured.
8. We'll see
9. We'll see

I think the only glaring difference between playoff teams and our team is execution and scheme/playcalling. The list someone posted above is relevant. Last year and many years prior we were getting STOMPED. This year has literally been 1 or 2 plays every game causing a loss. Against mostly playoff caliber teams.

Legend
Legend
I have never seen a "perfect team." You will ALWAYS have a hole somewhere. You just need great players to overcome deficiencies.

Legend
Legend
Depends on the refs more than I am prepared to admit. Those replacements still available? Or does Jerry own them all?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
There are 4 premium positions.

QB
LT
RDE
CB

The dropoff from there is substantial to the next tier of position importance.

1. QB - It could be argued that we have a guy who could be the guy at QB. I think we might. We'll see if he can get back up on that development curve he was on a few games ago but I really like how the ball comes out of his hand. He could be a premium guy at QB with a lot of good coaching.

2. LT - The best.

3. RDE - We are woefully inadequate here. But I understand it's a good top end DE draft and we're going to have our choice if the rest of the season plays out like what we've witnessed thus far.

4. CB - Thought we had the right guy. Now not so sure.

If Weeden develops. If we find an Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Clay Matthews type guy in the draft.

And if we find the right Head Coach we're there IMO. At least to the absolutely can win the AFC North arena.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Yeah I think I agree with you, TL. We need competent leaders. We need people who know what the hell they're doing and can show others what that should be and how to do it.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Nobody knows the answer to that question until we find out what Weeden is.

If Weeden is Tim Couch, we're years away. If Weeden is Matt Schaub, we're not very far away at all.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

If Weeden is Tim Couch, we're years away. If Weeden is Matt Schaub, we're not very far away at all.

Drumrolls please...

We agree

It's common sense that having or not having THAT QB makes a huge difference in being a contender or not. Maybe you'll be surprised, but as big a Weeden fan I am, I am fully aware that he can still bust on us big time, although after watching his first 10 games my confidence in him has gone up a bit...when we drafted him and before the season I was on record as saying he's a 50/50 gamble bet...now, I'm 60/40 on him and naturally as with all ceiling/floors the picture of his high/low get clearer with real NFL game time...

Schaub/Cutler are good ceiling comps for him...floor probably Henne/Moore. I think with that it's clear I see him as a legit NFL talent...he will be in this league into his mid 30s and at least be a strong #2 QB. I don't see how he will completely bust and not be NFL material, and that was a distinct possibility when he was drafted, I always acknowledged that....somewhat "deleting" this possibility by what he's shown so far is the reason why I upped my confidence level in him. I think it'd be totally foolish and a huge waste if we drafted another QB in the first 3-4 rounds.

That's one of my points that gets lost in the TRich-Weeden blame game...both have flashed (throw in Gordon too), the talent with both is obvious....and as much as I seem to be a TRich hater (I'm NOT !) at no point do I even think we should sign a bigger FA or draft a RB in the top 4 rounds "to push" him...on many levels they're both at the same "development" stage...that's why I get angry when people start questioning Weeds for 2013. If it's a no brainer that TRich should get more time (and it is, I fully agree) than it should be as much a no brainer to retain Weeds....if a couple of flash runs by TRich where he looked like the Bama version is enough to project him as a stud RB, than those flash passes that only a few QBs make (and he made at Okie St.) should also be enough to project Weeds as a stud NFL QB...everything else is agenda and/or hypocrisy imho

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

I thought you said we had no talent.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I'll take a Tim Couch Weeden.. Couch's only problem was he had no protection.. Weeden has it. Plenty of evidence of great pass protection against Dallas.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Quote:

Relative to the rest of the league, we don't, but put a pro-bowl caliber QB here and we're not far away.

It's a QB-driven league. If you have one, there's enough parity to make you a contender. If you don't have one, well, don't bother.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Haha, ok.

You were actually holding you own against DJ for awhile ... much to my surprise. He kind of walked into his own land mine though and you capitalized.

Just took a couple steps back now.

O
Legend
Legend
O
DJ tends to do that. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often with all the cherry picking of stats and mindlessly defending "his" guys. django knows his football and makes a lot of really good points, but also seems to get caught up in these stupid fights.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Relative to the rest of the league, we don't, but put a pro-bowl caliber QB here and we're not far away.

It's a QB-driven league. If you have one, there's enough parity to make you a contender. If you don't have one, well, don't bother.

Yup, a great QB always gives you a fighting chance.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Haha, ok.

You were actually holding you own against DJ for awhile ... much to my surprise. He kind of walked into his own land mine though and you capitalized.

Just took a couple steps back now.

What?

I think I've been pretty consistent with my statements over the years in general and with Weeds in particular....you can go back to this time last year when I was ridiculed for suggesting to draft Weeden with a Top 50 pick, to right after the draft when I said he's a 50/50 gamble to post game week 1 where I probably was one of the only poster left with any kind of backbone by standing by my words.....I didn't backtrack with my last post, I was being consistent. Remember who was the poster who had the ridic "Brandon Weeden, huh?" sig after week 1 and now says hypocritical stuff like "I want to believe in Weeden" while trashing him for something his boy not only thought out loud but simply took action against (the HC's play calls !)....I know it's tough to do track post consistency...and probably nobody cares....it's a football message board after all, we're allowed to be weather vanes, but I'm far from being the fence rider who's opinion falls with the latest blow of the wind

R
Legend
Legend
R
Oh trust me, if I'm keeping score its something like DJ - 50, Toad - 5.

But in the case of Weeden you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing - supporting Weeden because you have an investment in him and bagging on Richardson because you didn't like the pick because of value. Toad caught you on that.

I expect you of all people to call it like you see it. They've both been terrible over the last few games. You don't need to dress up a turd to make a point. And now you've got Weeden mouthing off trying to save his arse by ganging up on a guy who isnt going to be here next year. And you're defending it. Thats just lousy.

Weeden has been all over twitter today saying he was taken out of context. I hope thats true ...that would prove OS's point that we don't know the context. But you're not even arguing that. You're actually defending it as an eye for an eye because Patsy threw him under the bus. If thats not a serious Weeden bias, I don't know what is.

BTW, you never answered my question about how you became a Browns fan being from Europe. I was curious if you CHOSE this hell. LOL...

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
It is kinda funny how some of us see Weeden as having shown enough to see he can be something special and yet be able to accept he may also fail. Others think he was just a giant reach and any success should be passed on in every direction possible unless its impossible and then only will say well, he had a good play but......
I've defended the Weeden pick as not being a reach but being a pick of value much as I defended taking McCoy in the 3rd.
I didnt like the trade up for T-Rich but I do understand why the did it and as such have no problems with that either.
I also defended the pick of Gordon at the time when people kept saying we over paid when in fact Buffalo said they put up the 3rd round pick so we made what looks like the correct choice.
I have discussed why I think we offered more then enough to get RG3 and were just simply outbid but again much like you some revisionist history will come about and double forked tounges will speak they also stated that this or that could have happened we saw it all along because we stated it both ways.

YTB also was very strong in this conviction that QB was a problem and needed to be addressed and although he wanted RG3 badly he didnt shy away from Weeden becuase he see's the same thing we see. Weeden is better then McCoy. Dont ignore the 2-8 record but dont put that record on Weeden either.

I still have a hard time believing that people that at the start of the season had us pegged at 3-5 wins are now that they see how much better the Browns are playing feel we should be a 5-5 or even better then trash the players that are giving the belief we are better.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

But in the case of Weeden you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing - supporting Weeden because you have an investment in him and bagging on Richardson because you didn't like the pick because of value. Toad caught you on that.

I disagree

I know it sounds that way, since I feel like I'm fighting a perception bias aroubd here and Browns fans in general, hence I sound just opposite but I have stated many times that they're at a similar development stage. Both have flashed, both are bottom 3rd in production though. I actually WANT them both being treated and judged equally, but that's not happening imho. Since TRich was the Top5 pick and plays a MUCH easier position I trash him more....why? He SHOULD be MUCH better than Weeds, simply because of his position....I think anyone on here expected that. Rookie RBs simply translate to the NFL better and have more impact right away than rook QBs....that's common sense, even homers get this. That said, he's badly failing expectations, while I think Weeden overall has played as to be expected (my personal opinion is that he has exeeded them a bit).

I don't think I over-defend Weeden, I still maintain that he had an AVG game over 4 Qtrs vs DAL (1st halfs DO count, you know? and 20p ARE average in this league and he scored them, not TRich) but have said he played like crap when he did.....the thing is: with a rook QB I "expected" those kind of games due to growing pains, so as long as those crap games are less than the good ones I think he's progressing fine. With a Top5 pick RB though, and I've been consistent here too since the moment we drafted him, I expect him to produce at Top 5-10 level right away because the game of running the ball isn't a whole lot different from College: you get the ball, you run. Ok, some tough spurts or a game here and there, granted....but TRich's failing on the EXACT same type of plays and situations time and again....I see no improvements, both physically and mentally and I don't even see the RB he once was in College....he looks worse than in College and Weeds better, simple as that

The mouthing off was a mistake, thatS a given and I said so....what got me up in arms was the fact that people now all of a sudden act as if he was a locker room cancer although the situation was pretty much the same, and imho not as disrespectful to his HC and teammates as TRIch's freelance play at the GL...yet one is spinned into a "leader" and the other gets all kinds of hate.

Seriously Rish....when I read all those posts they sounded like people were just waiting to jump on Weeden and put him in the dumpster. Pure resentment....I mean, I ask you and anyone straight to the face: what's worse? Mouthing off in front off a camera for some seconds, realizing the mistake and then directing the blame on himself seconds after it? Or making up a play on one of the most important plays of a game and then put the game on him 2 days later? To me those are similar situations with the latter actually being worse in terms of lack of respect, but let's call em a draw in boo-boo terms for comparisions sake....now answer me this: why the TOTALLY different reactions? I mean we're talking 180 here, so who's judging by agenda and who's being fair?....I was pretty much the only one that called out TRich for the DAL game as a whole (not just the one play), as I thought he had a bad game....thenhe comes out and says so himself, pretty much proving me right...and the apologists spin what out of it? He's a "leader", lol he's infallible by definition...it's bias, he can fail how often he wants to, there seems to be no accountability, the occasional good looking run at midfield is enough to say "he's a beast, you can see it"...yet when Weeden delivered that 18yd strike to Watson for the go ahead TD it was you (and others) even disrespecting the play at first (I know you corrected it, just making a point how perception gets spoken out) saying "it was a gift to him"...you know what? TRich had also a gift TD on that 3rd&goal...but he didn't take it....he made up a play in his superman Bama-hype brain, decided not to execute the play as called, then failed...and what is the reaction? Get this Rish...people want him to get the ball agan on 4th down and call him a leader after saying "my bad" in front of a camera....I mean

Quote:

BTW, you never answered my question about how you became a Browns fan being from Europe. I was curious if you CHOSE this hell. LOL...

That's another story...maybe I'll throw you a PM these days...gotta run now

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

I ask you and anyone straight to the face: what's worse? Mouthing off in front off a camera for some seconds, realizing the mistake and then directing the blame on himself seconds after it? Or making up a play on one of the most important plays of a game and then put the game on him 2 days later? To me those are similar situations with the latter actually being worse in terms of lack of respect

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

I ask you and anyone straight to the face: what's worse? Mouthing off in front off a camera for some seconds, realizing the mistake and then directing the blame on himself seconds after it? Or making up a play on one of the most important plays of a game and then put the game on him 2 days later? To me those are similar situations with the latter actually being worse in terms of lack of respect

If "actions speak louder than words" as the "other-Toad" likes to say, what's worse? Is it worse to "call" a women a bitch or to bitch-slap her? I think everyone agrees that BOTH is an insult, right? I'd still rather mouth off then ego-act....and you can as much as you want, BOTH have disrespected their HC by what they did/said, BOTH have been insulting

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

We're missing a playmaking LB, a decent RE on defense, and another shutdown corner. We just need a better signal caller and for TRich to realize this ain't the SEC anymore. We will be in the playoffs once these things fall into place.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You somehow forgot FS

That's by far our biggest need imho

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I know it's tough to do track post consistency...and probably nobody cares....it's a football message board after all, we're allowed to be weather vanes, but I'm far from being the fence rider who's opinion falls with the latest blow of the wind

Consistency doesn't mean that you can't change your opinion. on a player/coach/system, whatever... In fact I'll say just the opposite.. the people who strive for consistency even in the face of all logic seem to be the ones who look the worst... those who latch onto a player like Weeden or Colt or Richardson or Haden either in a positive or negative way and refuse to consider any counter opinion on that player...

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JC

I think that we are a top 15 Qb away. Period. Is Weeden that guy? Not this year. Doubt next year. Possibly the year after (possibly not).

Other things we need on defense:

FS - in my mind the biggest need on this team not named QB
A play making pass rusher - either a RDE or a dynamic Lb (ala Von Miller)
Depth at CB would be nice.

Other things we need on Offense:

A veteran WR
A true fullback for the short yardage situation
Possibly an OG. Earlier in the year I would have said 2 for sure but I like the way Greco has played. I feel better about Lavaou but not yet sold on him.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I think the need for a LB outweights any other need on defense. Our FS spot is not strong, but we haven't got burned much if my memory serves me right.

We need someone who can fill gaps and be able to run sideline to sideline to make plays.

Offensively is a crap shoot.. I would still like to bring in another WR, assuming we won't be resigning MoMass. FB is a huge weakness as well.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
I think the Browns need a pure route runner at WR that has 400 catches on his resume. It would help bring along the other WRs.
also needed is a OG that is on par with the other AFC North starting OGs.
RDE you can add to that list. You have to be able to have a constant threat on the right side.
LBer is interesting.
they definetely need one that can go sideline to sideline and cover TE's
CB they can draft but I don't you have to use your 1st RD pick on one.

Legend
Legend

My take:

Weeden is not the answer.

There are two ways to go.

1.) Look to draft a first round quarterback if you truly believe in the guy. I like Tyler Wilson better than any other college QB prospect.

2.) If you do not like any of the college QB prospects then draft BPA preferably on defense. Pass rushing DE or OLB. Think of guys like JJ Watt, Clay Mathews, Von Miller. Second option top cornerback.

Training camp if second option is taken should have a real QB battle between McCoy and Weeden.

Until a true quarterback can lead the team forget about being a contender for a championship.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
I think Weeden has the physical tools to be a very good QB. Its the X's and O's part
where he will struggle.
and one thing about Weeden,for the Browns to get to the top in the AFC North,they
need a QB that is on par with Flacco, Big Ben, and Dalton.
I don't think Weeden brings those things that those 3 can.
Kosar is working with him for a reason.
Weeden has more arm than intelligence.
His offense at OSU wasn't that complicated.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There are always holes to patch and always places to upgrade and we have plenty aside from the gimme at head coach (LB, DE, CB, FS) but I'll make it short and sweet: if we have a legit QB at the helm, we'd be a playoff contender THIS year.

Right now, a 6-5 record has a team in the thick of it. We've lost 5 games this year by a score or less including some that even average QB play (Philly) would've won. Swing 3 of those the other way and we're in wild card tie. Yes, upgrades at other positions would help but no position has an impact on the game like QB.

The first thing that Haslam and Co. will have to answer is that question: Is Weeden the "legit QB" we need next year? He sure as heck isn't right now but will another year get him over the hump? If so then great, roll with him in 2013. If not, do we draft a QB or do we go out and get one?

The answer to that question will determine a lot for us in the next few years. I hope we get it right.

We're... we're good?
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Re-post from the gameday threads trying to stop the craziness and make some sense

Does anyone in here realize that Weeden had the best QB rating of any QB facing the Steelers in the last 5 games? and that he was the 1st QB to throw a TD on them since week 6 or 7 (he was 1 out of 1 in throws into the endzone)...and those include Eli, Flacco and RG 3 (last throwing TD on Steelers)

Yet I have to read how it's evident that we should find a replacement and better option at QB....all that after his first freaking 11 starts. Even if he doesn't turn out to be the answer, there's NO WAY he won't be our starter in 2013 since there are no Lucks and RG3s, and we would have no shot to draft them to begin with...the best QBs in this draft are AT BEST Ponder, Dalton, Foles-level...Weeden was a much better QB in College than those guys AND anything that comes out this draft. If we pick a QB in round 1, we will 100% regress at QB short term and waste a valuable PRIME YEAR of our building blocks and we gotta HOPE that it turns out a lateral move...sounds like an incredibly stupid plan for the sake of making a move...oh, but at least the new face is 6 years younger

This place is going bananas with every passing day

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How are close are the Browns to being a playoff contender?

Link Copied to Clipboard