Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Maybe the Big Show simply wanted to go out on a high note.

After Sunday’s unexpected win over the Steelers, the Browns announced that team president Mike Holmgren has departed the organization.

Holmgren will meet the media on Monday. Look for plenty of questions about whether he is or isn’t interested in coaching the Cowboys or some other team.

All things considered, his time in Cleveland fairly should be regarded as a failure. The question now becomes whether he’ll cap his career with one more appearance as a coach.

-PFT

'Bout damned time.

And from Jamison Hensley:

Holmgren out

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Cya

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Can't wait to hear all about it on Seattle talk radio.

[Linked Image]
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
talking about a guy that got paid alot and basically did nothing to justify his salary.
He might go down as one most hated and despised high ranking front office
figures in recent Cleveland sports history.
more hated than Danny Ferry, Jim Paxson, Phil Savage.
I'd like to see his supporters show up now,but I'm sure they have turned the page
on him.
the guy made a mockery of a team that deserves better

Legend
Legend
Who hates Danny Ferry?

Hyperbole much?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

He might go down as one most hated and despised high ranking front office

Really ? Maybe you could disagree with his direction, or coaching selections, but hated and despised ?
Next up, college coaches and nobodies who will be willing to accept being Banners whipping boy.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
Legend
Legend
had me fooled after his first season here.. but i knew things wouldn't change b/c of him..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Phil Savage? Danny Ferry? Mike Holmgren? Hated and despised?

Really?

The only guy who has come through here who was "hated and despised" is now dead for moving the team out of Cleveland. The most that can be said about Holmgren was that he failed while stealin...er...earning a huge paycheck from Randy Lerner.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Legend
Legend
I don't hate Holmgren, because I think that he helped lay a foundation for what I believe will be a very good team in the near future. He hired Heckert.... and I think that was a great hire.He also hired Shurmur ... and I don't believe that was the best hire we could have made.

I think that his idea what what Haslam and Joe Banner have said, and that is a young coach who can grow into the job. I just think that he made the wrong choice.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Holmgren will meet the media on Monday.

Two farewell Press Conferences in one season, Well played Mike.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Holmgren will meet the media on Monday.

Two farewell Press Conferences in one season, Well played Mike.

Needs a little bit more MKC before he leaves..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

The question now becomes whether he’ll cap his career with one more appearance as a coach.

I think that's a gurantee. Holmgren's ego won't allow a failed tenure as his last stop. We'll see him in Dallas next year.

Grossi or one of the other beat writers was reporting that Haslam was not pleased Holmgren and Jones were having a lengthy discussion prior to last weeks game.

Legend
Legend
Have fun Mike.

If you don't like Romo. Ill trade you Colt for Ware.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

Good riddance. You may have gotten us some offensive weapons but you set the program back.

Free Mangini!

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

I don't hate Holmgren, because I think that he helped lay a foundation for what I believe will be a very good team in the near future. He hired Heckert.... and I think that was a great hire.He also hired Shurmur ... and I don't believe that was the best hire we could have made.

I think that his idea what what Haslam and Joe Banner have said, and that is a young coach who can grow into the job. I just think that he made the wrong choice.

I agree the worst Mike did was build a front office the correct way and take a few shots while letting the FO build the roster the correct way. Amazing people still dont see that but of couse most people today are not big picture people but I want it now people and if dont get it then WAAAA!

I watched the show after the game at 5pm and that guy Booms is a complete fool. Thats why I dont listen to those talking heads. Real football players pretty much handed him his head. It was good to see.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
I wonder if the marketing department is part of the front office.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

J/C

Good riddance. You may have gotten us some offensive weapons but you set the program back.

Free Mangini!

How in the hell did he set this organization back? I mean come on, we were at the bottom of the pile when he got here, at least now we have organization, we have a GM (who'll probably be fired) and we have some very talented building blocks.

That's a HELLUVA lot better than when he got here...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

J/C

Free Mangini!

How in the hell did he set this organization back?

Last edited by OSGuy; 11/25/12 09:45 PM.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

I wonder if the marketing department is part of the front office.

I saw a mountian made of a mole hill. As I said in another thread we should have went Jose Wales on them and we did.
If you ride in scared of what people think you will leave with your tail between your legs.
Do you think the Steelers players were backing down with those jail uni's they wore? No they BRING IT.
You either stand up and make people take notice or you crawl home. Its time we stop complaining about what precieved effect something will have on the players and instead complain about the negitive people in this city who always find fault even in the good we do.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Hey, for a 129-year old QB, I'd say Weeden "brought it" today.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Three words.

Bob LaMonte clients.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Hey, for a 129-year old QB, I'd say Weeden "brought it" today.

LOL yeah he did look pretty good for his age.

O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
NFL's Greg Rosenthal chimes in...

Mike Holmgren's Cleveland Browns tenure is over

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
Published: Nov. 25, 2012 at 06:31 p.m.
Updated: Nov. 25, 2012 at 08:15 p.m.

Mike Holmgren officially is free to go after coaching jobs.
NFL Exposure
Browns 20, Steelers 14
Check out the best photos from the Week 12 matchup between the Steelers and Browns.

Holmgren's tenure as Cleveland Browns president is up, the team confirmed to Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer. The Holmgren era finished with a win over the Pittsburgh Steelers, something that didn't happen enough during his confusing, scattershot run.

Holmgren wasted a year before firing coach Eric Mangini. He changed quarterbacks each year but never found one he truly believed in. It remains to be see if Brandon Weeden is that guy.

There were whispers that Holmgren didn't exactly out-work the competition, either. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi called Holmgren's work ethic "abhorrent," and stories about Holmgren working "banker's hours" were passed around. Joe Banner is taking over Holmgren's responsibilities under new Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III.

Cabot reported that Holmgren said his goodbyes in the Browns' locker room Sunday and will meet with the media again Monday to say goodbye. His last goodbye news conference turned into a commercial for Holmgren wanting to become a coach again. Reports have suggested Holmgren would like to coach the Dallas Cowboys.

Browns fans would like to forget the Holmgren era.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
How fast people forget how upside down this franchise was before Holmgren came in. He added stability and respectability to a laughing stock of the NFL. He leaves this team better then when he came in. When was the last time we could say that about a front office person???

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

How fast people forget how upside down this franchise was before Holmgren came in. He added stability and respectability to a laughing stock of the NFL. He leaves this team better then when he came in. When was the last time we could say that about a front office person???

lots of youth and while they need to figure out how to win some of these, it definitely seems to be on the rise more than in the past.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't get the animosity toward Holmgren.. Yea, he made a lot of money, people act like it was THEIR money. When Holmgren got here, the Browns were a laughing stock, he made some mistakes but every single national person I've heard over the last few weeks has focused on how competitive the young Browns are and how close they are to winning a lot more games and how the rookies just need to learn how to finish....

None of us really know what Holmgren did on a day to day basis but he brought in people to do their job and my guess is that in a year or two this team is going to be competing for the playoffs largely on the foundation that was created while he was here...

And I will go out on a limb here and say that I think Pat Shurmur will be here next year... and that's not because he won one ugly game today...

yebat' Putin
O
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

And I will go out on a limb here and say that I think Pat Shurmur will be here next year...

Now that IS going out on a limb. A REAL one. I'm about 95% sure he's going to be fired, with much of that other 5% reserved for random acts of God, heart attack, indigestion, or temporary insanity stemming from the desire to get in touch with his inner child under the guidance of the ghost of the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh...

Legend
Legend
I have no idea what some of that means....;) but I think a lot of people are certain he's gone for one of two reasons... he's not Banner/Haslam's hand selected guy and two, Haslam's reaction to one call from the Indy game... well that and a lot of people here like to second guess and find fault with a lot of what he does... I'm just not sure it will happen... I'm not even sure it should happen.

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Holmgren brought in Heckert that's good enough for me.

Legend
Legend
Nope. They waved a white flag a little while back.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Exactly...I was rather "meh" when we got him and still am "meh" now, really don't care much for him but I will always thank him for Heckert...he missed on Mangini, Colt and looks like Shurmur though...batting .250 is even bad in baseball...so, bye Walrus

That said, I'll take S.Brown/Patterson/Wade and Skrine over Poteat/Rod Hood/Francies/Lawson, Schwartz over StClair, Ward over Elam, Sheard over Veikune, Greco/Lauvao/Pinky over Hadnot/Womack, Rucker/Parker over K.Coleman, Gordon/Little over Robo/Massa, Watson over Royal, Gocong/JMJ/Robertson over Barton/Bowens/Maiava....and even McCoy over Ratliff

We're younger and MUCH better since Mangini "happened"...it's not even close

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I wouldn't credit Holmgren for any of those players. Those are more Heckert picks than Holmgren. It was obvious that Mangini handed off player personnel decisions to Heckert once he arrived. Sure there was the RDE he wanted that Heckert got. But, that seemed to be the only player he asked for once Heckert got here.

Then again, you have a weird personal vendetta against Mangini. Maybe you're Tony Grossi .

Legend
Legend
The only question is "Are we better now than when he came here" The answer is YES

Thanks Mike good luck in the future, and may God continue to bless your family.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

For a guy who was hired to restructure an organization and solve the quarterback position I would say Mike Holmgren was a failure.

When hired I was super excited. Thought that an experienced football guy with credentials would set the Browns on the right path.

His hiring of Heckert was I thought a good hire.

Shurmur may still be a good coach but I doubt that he will get more time here to prove that.

Holmgren failed in spades when it came to fixing the QB problem. He brought in Jake the flake, and Seneca "the career backup" Wallace. McCoy was drafted and never really got a legit chance.

Then he miss played his hand in getting Robert Griffin when the cards were stacked in his favor. He then turned around and grossly over drafted Brandon Weeden in the first round stepping on Heckert to do so.

The Browns are once again at square one at the quarterback position.

Weeden is not the answer.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
He hired Heckert and then stayed out of the way. For the most part. I also liked that he never caved in to Jim Brown's being a pain in the butt. Those are some positives in my book.

Other than that we got Delhomme, Wallace, Colt (got back in the way), & worst of all, Shurmur. I never got a clear picture on his involvement w/ Weeden in the first. Was it all him? I don't know . . .

Holmgren seemed easily agitated by the media and looked, to me at least, like he knew he'd come to the wrong place and wanted OUT for most of his stay. I'm never going to hate on the guy, but I'll get a tad bit fired up when I hear the talking heads praising him and not ever acknowledging that he was mostly a failure in Cleveland. I'm still waiting to see him flapping his gums on ESPN like Mangini . . .

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

For a guy who was hired to restructure an organization and solve the quarterback position I would say Mike Holmgren was a failure.

When hired I was super excited. Thought that an experienced football guy with credentials would set the Browns on the right path.

His hiring of Heckert was I thought a good hire.

Shurmur may still be a good coach but I doubt that he will get more time here to prove that.

Holmgren failed in spades when it came to fixing the QB problem. He brought in Jake the flake, and Seneca "the career backup" Wallace. McCoy was drafted and never really got a legit chance.

Then he miss played his hand in getting Robert Griffin when the cards were stacked in his favor. He then turned around and grossly over drafted Brandon Weeden in the first round stepping on Heckert to do so.

The Browns are once again at square one at the quarterback position.

Weeden is not the answer.

My opinion difffers slightly from yours. He has made some moves to bridge areas of need to get to the next draft to address said needs slowly building the team we see today.
I give Heckert all the credit for that. I liked the McCoy pick in the 3rd round. He will be an excellent back-up for his whole career at worst.

Im not sure about Weeden but I cant say hes a bust yet in fact I think hes doing very well for a 1st year QB coming to a very young team. Is he perfect, no of course not but neither was alot of QB's their first years.

Shurmur is probably the biggest thing most people dont like. While I have been very vocal about him I really dont know what coach would have come here knowing they wouldnt win for at least 1 year and perhaps 2 years while the roster is filled up to become competive.

So while I can agree Mike made some mistakes he was far from the total failure to me that others believe him to have been.

Also T-Rich, Weeden, Schwartz and next years 1st round pick (which would have still been high) is > then RGIII IMHO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Holmgren made one mistake and that was not firing Mangini day 1. Delhomme was the best option out there at the time. I didnt like it but I understood the aged vet to guide the ship until you find thee guy.

He hired Heckert and they put together the best scouting department in the game. They kept our best coaches from the Mangini era and brought in Jauron, Rhodes and Chilly. Whether you like Pat or not, this staff is elite. Just look at the progression all of these kids have made.

The reason Holmgren wasnt around for the media is because he didnt want to overshadow Heckert and Shurmur. He was basically team owner. He put people in place to do their job and I think he did well.

We are 3-3 in our last 6 games and you take away one or two rookie mistakes in each game and we are probably sitting at the top of this division. I said a few weeks ago don't trash the Holmgren legacy just yet, this thing is still playing out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Go screw yourself, Mike, you lazy, over-hyped, fat-ass blowhard. You did one thing right in hiring Heckert, then phoned in your regime for $40M. You blew every QB call you made here, you self-promoting, self-serving do nothing. QB guru my ass. Don't get me started on how badly you boned us with your nepotistic Shurmur hire. Hated it when Lerner hired you and as far as I'm concerned, you can't get out of town fast enough.

'Nuff said, moving on.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

The only question is "Are we better now than when he came here" The answer is YES

Thanks Mike good luck in the future, and may God continue to bless your family.

I agree.

the Browns as presently constructed seem to be on the verge more than any previous regime had left them. lots of youth and talent all over the field. our offense is as young as any in the NFL (possibly in the history of the NFL in terms of rookies/2nd year guys) and our defense is nearly as young and has shown to be quite the force when healthy (definitely some depth issues, particularly in the backfield).

the records haven't gone the way we would have liked, but we finally just stripped away all the crud, didn't just apply a bunch of bandaids, and built from the ground up. what people CLAIM to have wanted all along.

yet, no credit should be given for that? I feel that is short-sighted.

#gmstrong
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

Go screw yourself, Mike, you lazy, over-hyped, fat-ass blowhard. You did one thing right in hiring Heckert, then phoned in your regime for $40M. You blew every QB call you made here, you self-promoting, self-serving do nothing. QB guru my ass. Don't get me started on how badly you boned us with your nepotistic Shurmur hire. Hated it when Lerner hired you and as far as I'm concerned, you can't get out of town fast enough.

'Nuff said, moving on.

All this vitriole over a football team. Huh...

[color:"white"]"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain [/color]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Holmgren calls it a career with the Browns.

Link Copied to Clipboard