Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
http://espn.go.com/blog/afc north

The numbers are trending that the Browns are closing the gap in the AFC North
this is the most talent ever seen on the roster since 1999.
so what do the Browns have to do close that gap even quicker in 2013?

C
Legend
Legend
C
We should fire the guy who accumulated all the talent.

That's what you would do anyway.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
BROWNS: 10th overall; third in pass protection and 14th in run blocking.This has been helpful for rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden, who ranks 23rd in the NFL in being sacked.

So much for "we can't run block"....

- OL got significantly better during the season...

- WRs developed consistency

- TE play took off lately

- Weeden is up and down but he's taking slow steps forward overall (pretty normal development speed considering the position)

- TRich...3.8ypc before the bye, dancing on almost every run, failing on short yd situations ...ok, he wasn't healthy....3.2ypc after the bye, still dancing (got a little better though), making up a play on his own on 3rd&goal from the one, not getting the ball anymore on short yd situations by now, 10+yd runs? what's that?

If TRich was anywhere near AP level as a runner as advertised, or at least would have progressed some like his fellow rooks, we'd probably play 3 meaningful games down the stretch...it's really a shame since the other rooks are doing their part (Weeds, Hughes) or even exceeded expectations by far (Gordon, Schwartz, Winn)

I really think we could be the Colts but our "Luck" or RG3 (as in: top pick), TRich, is failing us...I'll probably get trashed by the Frog army but I really think that the difference between us and the Colts or even Redskins is that our top pick is incredibly disappointing and NOT making enough difference/impact considering the investment....Colts got Luck and less talent than us, WAS is all RG3, the rest of the roster I'd take ours over theirs....Weeden isn't making the difference as much as his fellow rooks, but he was our 2nd pick, not our top dog (what's Fleener doing in Indy? picked not much later than Weeds)...and he's contributed MORE to victories than TRich so far

If TRich was who we thought he'd be, we'd be sitting pretty right now and probably wouldn't have to tear this thing down....

I confess I have some resentment towards TRich for that last fact alone....but after all, Heckert picked him, so the irony is that he'll go down with him.

NOTE: I fully expect to play TRich much better next season...it's just the timing of his disappointment/not figuring out the league despite being a RB...we just can't seem to get a break of good timing for something beneficial to happen

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
so lets assume that the Browns retain Heckert. what do you do if the Browns don't make the playoffs next year?
Still keep him around?
This is the most talent assembled since the return.
but at some point you have to get RESULTS.
and heres the thing,its a possiblility the AFC North sends 3 teams to the playoffs this year. 2 for sure.
The Steelers might be taking a step back in 2013. But as long as Big Ben is around,they are always in the thick of things.
The Ravens aren't going anywhere. Ozzie always drafts well.
The Bengals have so much youth under the age of 28 they are only gonna get better. Dalton hasn't had that sophmore slump.
I think if the Browns retain Heckert, in 2013 its playoffs or he's gone.
He's had plenty of time make progress.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is the most talent assembled since the return.
He's had plenty of time make progress.

Uhhh, yeah.

Heckert doesn't call plays or take the field, he assembles talent.
You can't say that this is the most talent we've assembled, then say that the guy that assembled it hasn't made any progress for us.
You may as well blame the Pillsbury Doughboy for the Housing Crisis.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I can't put into words how wrong your thought process is.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I'm not nearly as down on Richardson as you are, mainly because he's been hurt ... and I really think that has stolen his burst.

As far as other rookies who are doing a nice job ..... Bademosi has been amazing on special teams, and JMJ is doing a solid job at OLB. He hasn't been overwhelmed, and has done a solid job helping set the edge against the run. He's had a few pass rush opportunities, but hasn't had a sack yet ...... but he's definitely someone to watch for next year.

I said, after the draft, that this could be a draft that could redefine the Browns for years to some ...... and that we could wind up with 4-6 starters.Well, Weeden, Richardson, Gordon, Schwartz, and JMJ later ...... (and Winn and Hughes started a few games when Taylor and Rubin were out) is a total of 7 ..... and that's quite an impressive haul for this draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
So lets get rid of the guy that drafted it. And bring in a guy that criticized it!!!

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
says the guy who thought the Browns were a threat to make the Wild Card a couple weeks ago.
hey if finishing under .500 every year excites you, thats up to you.

Legend
Legend
They were/are.

Pitt and Cincy winning last week killed it basically though.

Had Balt and SD come through Cle would be two games out of the WC

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
the San Diego Chargers have talent. But where are they going?
what progress are you seeing?
yea, Tom Heckert has assembled the greatest 4-8 football team in NFL history.
If theirs progress,its like watching a I.V drip or waiting for Kevin James to get a Oscar.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
Good teams control their own destiny.
right now the biggest storyline in Cleveland is in fact Peyton Hillis.
Its not fighting for a Wild Card berth.
Its Super agent Hillis and Joe Thomas going back in forth in the press.
when was the last time the Browns were relevant past the month of Oct?

Legend
Legend
I don't care where SD is going. We just needed them to not lose to Cincy.

So what happens if we finish 10-6 next year and miss the playoffs on a tiebreak? Fire everyone for "not producing" ?

Legend
Legend
What does San Diego's failures have to do with anything?
We're not them, they aren't us and neither one has anything to do with one another.

You are quite good at trolling, though... props on that.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
So you created this thread for what? To bash Heckert? Like you do in every other thread.

Legend
Legend

I gots mine.....

Get yours today!

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
Just trying to show every team has talent. But it takes more than talent to get to the playoffs.
when the Browns get out of last place I will give Heckert his proper due or whoever else is GM.
But I do know Heckerts staying or going will be dependent if he has final say on
the roster.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just trying to show every team has talent. But it takes more than talent to get to the playoffs.
when the Browns get out of last place I will give Heckert his proper due or whoever else is GM.
But I do know Heckerts staying or going will be dependent if he has final say on
the roster.

I don't get how you can understand that we have more talent, but not that this is where the GM's job ends and a coach's begins.... especially when you add on "it takes more than talent to get to the playoffs".

Just what "more" is it that you think Heckert could be contributing to get us to the playoffs?

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

the roster.

I don't get how you can understand that we have more talent, but not that this is where the GM's job ends and a coach's begins.... especially when you add on "it takes more than talent to get to the playoffs".

Just what "more" is it that you think Heckert could be contributing to get us to the playoffs?

He could have overpaid for lousy players in free agency that would have cost some of our young players their spots on the roster.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Legend
Legend
F
I'm convinced Kendall is a Steelers or Bengals fan in disguise.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
C
Legend
Legend
C
He has no clue what he is saying. He is a troll.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
honestly I think being a bit more active in FA could have made a difference.
Heckert's 2012 Draft is his best.
He hit the mark with Gordon,Schwartz, Richardson, Winn.
Thats 4 starters right there.
If Heckert had hit on 4 guys in that 2010 Draft,think how much better the Browns would be now.
Haden and Ward have delievered.
His 2011 Draft,I don't see the "elite" talents. I see contributors. I don't see game changers.
how are the Colts turning it around so quick?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

how are the Colts turning it around so quick?

Having the best QB prospect in the last 30 years fall in their lap.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
so if I was in the Heckert Ra Ra club,I wouldn't be a "troll"
everyone is entitled to a opinion.
I see 13-31 since 2010 and you guys act like the Browns are a threat to win the North next year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

says the guy who thought the Browns were a threat to make the Wild Card a couple weeks ago.

We have the talent to be a wild card team ( Heckert ) we dont have the coach ( Shurmur )

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Also, you act like turning the Colts around is as tough a job as turning the Browns around.

The Colts averaged 12 wins per year from 2002-2010, got caught one year with having no option for a backup QB. Peyton Manning goes down, and they're forced to play Curtis Painter. Curtis freaking Painter.

Then they get blessed with Andrew Luck and they're right back where they were.

Do you read the things you type?

Legend
Legend
Hmmm... true, we could have overpaid in free agency to get people to come to a losing team.
However, that is simply adding more talent... and by your own words, we already have the most talented roster since our return AND it takes more than talent to get to the playoffs.

So - just WHAT is it that Heckert hasn't done to get us to the playoffs?

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:

the roster

Unless you're in Haslam's inner circle, you don't know jack.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
Andrew Luck came to a team with one sure fire threat on offense. Reggie Wayne.
other than that,he's throwing to 2 rookie TEs, a rookie WR, a journeyman WR.
He doesn't have a Trent Richardson. They use 3 RBs to carry the load.
can anyone name 3 o-linemen on the Colts?
They changed from a 4-3 to 3-4. Mathis and Freeney having to learn how to drop back in coverage and rush standing up.
most everyone had the Colts to finish last in the South.
and on the Browns schedule it was marked as W around these parts.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
trust me if Heckert doesn't have final say on the roster,he will walk and maybe could end up in San Diego.
If the Browns hire a "name" HC,then he will most likely want to have final say on the roster.
why do you think Heckert left Philly?

Legend
Legend
...or Haslam could say, "how much would it cost me to retain your services and let Joe have the final say on the roster"? Far fetched? maybe....but the fact is that no one out of the loop knows for certain, and those that claim to come across as snide, arrogant and FOS.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm convinced Kendall is a Steelers or Bengals fan in disguise.

I always thought he was a Bengals fan. He talks way too positively about them. And I don't think I've ever really read anything positive about the browns from him that didn have something negative with it.

K
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
K
If I would have told you in 2010 the Browns would be 13-31 3 years later,what would say about Heckert?
Trust me there are players from all 3 AFC North teams I would like.
Torrey Smith,Vonte Leach, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Jonathon Dwyer,
Jermaine Gresham, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap.
Just because you support a team doesn't mean you have be negative about their
division rivals. especially when all 3 are in a playoff hunt.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Everything in life isn't instant . The good things that last take time. We went from a vertical stretch/ground and pound to WCO. The two couldnt be more different. We go from 3-4 agressive blitz/deep zone to 4-3 disciplined press. Could it get more different?

WE didnt just have a philosophy change. We had to completely overhaul the roster and we were dead set on doing it through the draft, we had to get rid of the sky is falling attitude.

When you build from the ground up it takes time. We locked in our better players. Paid performance and even paid for potential. I think that went a long way into making this a place of respectability.

Look we planted the seeds. The trees have grown. They have started to bloom and we have some that want to cut down the trees because they havent bared fruit yet.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Anyone who is reasonable knew what was going to happen with this new rebuild, we were not in a position to win unless we went full Butch Davis in free agency, which would net us possibly one playoff appearance and then a return to awfulness.

FA is a tool for good teams to add a value piece to get them over the hump and for bad teams to wreck their salary cap.

This team has gone from crappy expansion team to overpaid free agent mediocrity to a retirement home for Patriots to a retirement home for Jets to now, a very young team of home grown talent.

We had a rickety, poorly built house that needed to be completely rebuilt. Anyone who can't accept that measuring success in wins and losses rather than acquisition of talent for these first few years had unrealistic expectations.

In Heckert's drafts, we have a huge hitting percentage on talent. He has gotten major difference makers when he could, and in the case of his 2011 draft, opted for solid contributors when he deemed our draft position as not conducive to making a huge splash.

I know some don't like to hear this, but IT IS a process. People like to say NFL means Not For Long, and that is a wildly ignorant statement. Organization that do believe in allowing their teams to develop and grow eventually find themselves on the top of the heap, the Not For Long teams find a decent season every now and then but usually settle right back in to bottom feeding status.

Proud fan of the Pulaski Academy football strategy.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Eagles when Heckert was there, invested in OL every year. He wanted to resign his own and stay out of free agency. Banner and Reid wanted the free agents. Last 2 years the Eagles, loaded up with all star free agents. Now we have coaches fired, Banner tossed out, Reid about to be tossed out and the franchise is a total disaster.

Everyone wants the free agent talent but in real life, you get a lot of free agent attitude and often very little in locker chemistry. I love the way we have built this. I want home grown, not trying to raid someone's fridge.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Banner tossed out

the timing with Haslam finding the Browns were for sale and Banner leaving the Eagles is still "too perfect" for me to believe that they didn't already have that plan and that Banner left the Eagles (not forced out).

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Banner tossed out

the timing with Haslam finding the Browns were for sale and Banner leaving the Eagles is still "too perfect" for me to believe that they didn't already have that plan and that Banner left the Eagles (not forced out).

I don't see how it is anything but a given that him leaving for this was planned long in advance.

Browns is the Browns

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

so what do the Browns have to do close that gap even quicker in 2013?

I would love to keep Heckert around and let him finish what he started. From 2 years ago to today, it is one of the more amazing turn-arounds from a pure roster perspective. That was an old-washed up team he inherited. If JH3 was only here at that time, I think he'd look at the situation much differently.

As far as the coaching staff go, let's let the next 4 games play out. What if we can get this KC game, split one between Washington and Denver, and go into that Pittsburgh game with a chance to knock them out? If they play hard and lose, I think Shurmur can make a case. If they somehow pull all that off and knock the Steelers out, he makes his case mic-drop style.

If they don't I would love to keep the infastructure of this current team and hire from within. Only problem is there isn't anyone to take the spot. There are a bunch of retreads in this organization. Childress, Jauron, Rhodes, etc.. It just wouldn't work.

If you blow it all up, I don't think the "rebuild" is as drastic as some think. Talent is already there. These players are still young enough to be molded to another system. Harbaugh proved you can come in immediately and have success if you're a good enough coach.

As far as the roster goes. I think Weeden earns another year. I think you have to look at defensive end/pass rushing OLB. It's a primo position and there is a still a chance you're picking high. You definitely could use another CB, and depth-wise another LB.

Offenisvely, maybe another WR, and maybe a guard, but I think the talent is there for that group to grow as it already stands.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

so if I was in the Heckert Ra Ra club,I wouldn't be a "troll"

No. But you make the same arguments (that are wrong) over and over again with no basis to back it up. That's what makes you a troll.

Quote:

Andrew Luck came to a team with one sure fire threat on offense. Reggie Wayne.
other than that,he's throwing to 2 rookie TEs, a rookie WR, a journeyman WR.
He doesn't have a Trent Richardson. They use 3 RBs to carry the load.
can anyone name 3 o-linemen on the Colts?
They changed from a 4-3 to 3-4. Mathis and Freeney having to learn how to drop back in coverage and rush standing up.
most everyone had the Colts to finish last in the South.
and on the Browns schedule it was marked as W around these parts.

He didn't have much around him, you're right. But he has himself. He is already a top 10 (5?) QB in the league. If you have one of those you win. It's that simple.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum AFC North rankings offense/defense and PFF rates o-lines

Link Copied to Clipboard