Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

J/C
It's a pity really.
Since Al died,the Browns have been owned by the sons of self made billionaires,not by the guys that know how to make sound decisions.
Oh well,maybe in another 10 years the new buffoon will be selling the franchise.

I could be wrong, but wasn't his dad's company somewhat small, and his son actually turned it into the multi billion dollar company it is now? I know he was responsible for them merging in the past.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

J/C
It's a pity really.
Since Al died,the Browns have been owned by the sons of self made billionaires,not by the guys that know how to make sound decisions.
Oh well,maybe in another 10 years the new buffoon will be selling the franchise.

I could be wrong, but wasn't his dad's company somewhat small, and his son actually turned it into the multi billion dollar company it is now? I know he was responsible for them merging in the past.

You are very correct.
This son made the billions.... but, he started with millions.

In either case, he is striking me as a college football fan that wants to bring his college fandom to the NFL.

Granted, the beat writers have nothing else to go on but their own speculation at this point, so that is a lot of what we are getting.... but there is an awful LOT of smoke around this one for there to not be a fire, somewhere. I find it to be really disconcerting and I'm getting a very strong feeling that we're about to get mired in crap yet again.

Stand by for the next Decade of Sadness.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

J/C
It's a pity really.

Al didn't know his football ass from a hole-in-the-ground either.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

J/C
It's a pity really.

Al didn't know his football ass from a hole-in-the-ground either.

Which is very true but if a blind squirrel can find a nut what are the odds of a 2nd blind squirrel in the same yard also finding a nut, and on the first day no less?

I said when I first heard about Banner coming here I didnt like the idea and nothing has changed my mind, esp the more rumors point to the possible changes coming.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
J/C

not pointing at anyone in particular, but the knee jerk over reacting going on in this thread is comical.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
How many owners actually do?

Haslam+Banner+Lombardi=championship

My math skills suck,but man that equation don't look right to me.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Apparently Grossi is on WKNR right now throwing Tom Cable's name out there too? If its true that he is (I'm not listening right now, maybe someone here is), I think it's safe to say that he's at best throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, and at worst he's just trolling the fan base.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

hmm, well, since the NFL championship is often referred to as a Lombardi (due to the trophy being the Lombardi trophy), you have to adjust your equation.

Haslam+ Banner = Lombardi
Haslam + Banner - Lombardi = Lombardi - Lombardi
Haslam + Banner - Lombardi = 0

So, Haslam and Banner are proven to be nothing without Lombardi. I expect this logic to be in tomorrow's PFT columns and reported as being a "source."

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
will y + mx + b get rid of Lombardi?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

hmm, well, since the NFL championship is often referred to as a Lombardi (due to the trophy being the Lombardi trophy), you have to adjust your equation.

Haslam+ Banner = Lombardi
Haslam + Banner - Lombardi = Lombardi - Lombardi
Haslam + Banner - Lombardi = 0

So, Haslam and Banner are proven to be nothing without Lombardi. I expect this logic to be in tomorrow's PFT columns and reported as being a "source."

You made a math error.

Haslam + Banner + Lombardi = championship, where championship = Lombardi

Substituting in, we get

Haslam + Banner + Lombardi = Lombardi

so,

Haslam + Banner = Lombardi - Lombardi = 0

Therefore, Haslam = -Banner

Obviously then, Banner is Haslam's evil twin, hellbent on world domination.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Why would Saban want to return to the NFL? He's got a dream job now. He tried the NFL and left of his own accord.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Banner and Haslam can do whatever they want. I wont be holding my breath waiting for the wins to roll in lol. The fans with the big mouth and low IQ have what they wanted.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I really want to be Leslie Nielsen via Airplane, coming into Jimmy's office every 5 minutes saying that we are all counting on him.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

J/C

not pointing at anyone in particular, but the knee jerk over reacting going on in this thread is comical.

I was thinking this on the drive back to my house: If all this about Dumbardi and McDaniels turns out to be false, Grossi might as well find a new city to move to because he'll have officially fallen into the Roger Brown category...

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Why would Saban want to return to the NFL? He's got a dream job now. He tried the NFL and left of his own accord.

Because he has absolutely nothing left to accomplish in the college game.

He left because he didn't have the QB needed to win big in the NFL, after Dolphins team doctors told him no to Drew Brees.

When he agrees to coach an NFL team, it'll be one of two situations.

1. A team with a top 5 draft pick, and there's a QB coming out that he thinks is an NFL quality QB.

2. A team with a QB already in place. Does he think Weeden is that guy? Who knows.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

When he agrees to coach an NFL team, it'll be one of two situations.

1. A team with a top 5 draft pick, and there's a QB coming out that he thinks is an NFL quality QB.

2. A team with a QB already in place. Does he think Weeden is that guy? Who knows.

I think there's a #3: He gets complete control over the roster.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I was thinking this on the drive back to my house: If all this about Dumbardi and McDaniels turns out to be false, Grossi might as well find a new city to move to because he'll have officially fallen into the Roger Brown category...

Awesome, the immature nicknames have already started. Other than that I agree with your post.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Awesome, the immature nicknames have already started. Other than that I agree with your post.

You expected anything less from the guy who said Banner wouldnt be in control of personal yet now is being linked to a GM who will be his puppet and have no control over personal?

The person who said Haslam and Banner are heads and tails above the previous 2 people in those positions and will turn the Browns into an instant crediable org and team?

While I agree with Grossi becoming the new Rodger Brown I still stand by what I said when I 1st heard about the sale. Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

If you need 3 years to be a winner you got here 2 years to early. Get it done Browns.
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Stand by for the next Decade of Sadness.

Shoot me now.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

The Lombardi Factor: Banner has diagramed an organization chart that calls for football operations to report to him. That means Heckert’s position will be replaced by a glorified player personnel director who will work closely with Banner. He may win some battles but ultimately he will have no real authority to establish a vision, pick players or make trades. Banner will set the agenda.

So who would accept these restrictions? Someone who has been out of the league for five years – Mike Lombardi.

jc..

So Banner wants a puppet so he can have more control over the football operations, without appearing to have more control over the football operations? Kind of sounds like Banner wants to insulate himself in the case of failure.

When I first heard that Banner would be taking over as Pres/CEO, I was concerned that Banner's history with Philly would follow him here and limit the Browns chances at hiring top shelf talent. Looks like my concerns were warranted.

Banner has never been in charge of the football side of a franchise, yet he is demanding control over the football side of the franchise with "everyone" reporting to him.

Folks, Nick Saban would never work under Joe Banner...#1, Banner is a rookie and a HC such as Saban is not going to report to someone who is as inexperienced as Banner is ...#2, Banner has a history that follows him to Cleveland...a history of creating conflict within a franchise over the issue of power..an issue of control.

Finding "quality" management and coaching willing to work under Banner is going to be a problem. As of now, it looks like the Browns can do no better for the GM position, than someone who went 5 yrs without a job offer...hardly a hot commodity.

This is all on Haslam and Banner...the foundation for this team was built when they took over and now it is up to them to finish the job...no excuses !

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
I'm still hoping for the best in all of this but if Banner is such a liability and Haslem did so much research meeting with other Owners, etc.. how did he end up deciding on Banner?

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm still hoping for the best in all of this but if Banner is such a liability and Haslem did so much research meeting with other Owners, etc.. how did he end up deciding on Banner?

Perhaps because Banner is a business guy, and good with the numbers to make things profitable?
Perhaps they're looking at how much crap we perennially put up with and STILL keep coming back and spending money and are taking it for granted?
Perhaps he's just a guy with a boatload of money and needed a new toy to get into a very elite circle of billionaires and this team was his Golden Ticket?

Mike Brown made tons of money fielding a perennial loser in Cinci for what... two decades?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Perhaps because Banner is a business guy, and good with the numbers to make things profitable?

If that's the case and that's the part of the job he does, then all of these rumors are wrong and I'm ok with that.

Quote:

Perhaps they're looking at how much crap we perennially put up with and STILL keep coming back and spending money and are taking it for granted?

Haslem knows that truckers will stop for gas when they need gas even at crappy truck stops, but they will stop more if the truck stop is nice. I'm assuming he knows the same thing about football, profits go up when you win, the value of your franchise goes up when you win... he's not going to make a little just because he can when he could win and make a lot more.

Quote:

Perhaps he's just a guy with a boatload of money and needed a new toy to get into a very elite circle of billionaires and this team was his Golden Ticket?

Who Banner? Haslem doesn't need Banners money and you're talking about Haslem and he just wanted a new toy, why would you put a guy in charge that might break your toy?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Lombardi,,, ugh

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't believe one word of this bull$#!% and wont until I see it. Lombardi? Really? Banner and Haslam would both have to be complete and utter fools to have anything to do with him. Grossi has an axe to grind with Lombardi, (not that he doesn't have reason,) so anything he can do to stir the pot to dissuade Lombardi's consideration is certainly within Grossi's wheelhouse.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't believe one word of this bull$#!% and wont until I see it. Lombardi? Really? Banner and Haslam would both have to be complete and utter fools to have anything to do with him. Grossi has an axe to grind with Lombardi, (not that he doesn't have reason,) so anything he can do to stir the pot to dissuade Lombardi's consideration is certainly within Grossi's wheelhouse.

Not really Cal, they may, as the article eludes to, just want a puppet.. That's just a flat out mistake, but I can see it if that's what they want.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Can the Cleveland Clinic give me a Shurmoid extraction and a Lombardi bypass, like triple shunt? Because it is Grossi, so grains of salt in my book. But not Lombardi, please. Trying to build a Brown - type business model. We need Heckert. I see nothing that Lombardi or Banner offers that beats Heck. Keep him for a year or two at least. Don't sell an unmilked cow.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
N
Legend
Legend
N
I think the poster you are referring to keeps jumping to that "go wild" square

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Not really Cal, they may, as the article eludes to, just want a puppet.. That's just a flat out mistake, but I can see it if that's what they want.

As I stated, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm erring on the side of Grossiness. Or is it Grossicitude?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
After the news of the new president being hired, Grossi looks like a major buffon. Casting Banner as a guy who no one wants to work for. Meanwhile, one of the brightest young executives in the business is probably on his way to Cleveland to accept the job as president the same day this article is published.

[image]https://www.dawgtalkers.net/uploads/view.php?file=eggonface.jpg[/image]

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As I stated, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm erring on the side of Grossiness. Or is it Grossicitude?

LOL Gotcha

I prefer Grossism

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
How about Grossineptitude?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Too "on the nose".

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Haslam and Banner have done nothing except hire a new president, but yet all the geniuses who post on this message board know all the mistakes they are going to make. I mean everything is looked at as wrong.

I can almost gaurantee that no one on these boards truly knows what Banner actually did for Philly. Also those bashing Haslam and calling him a baffoon are idiots. They know nothing about this guy. He was a partial owner of the Steelers for god's sake, I'm sure he is not the fool he is being made out to be here.

There is so much pessimism towards any and everything done with this team, I sometimes wonder if many really would enjoy winning, as they are so happy just bashing everything and everyone who touches this team.

They call this the greatest fanbase, but who are they? The fanbase themselves? It is no wonder many refuse to work for the Browns, before they even start many of the fans spend most of their time putting them down. Nobody gets a fair chance with this fanbase, it is immediate success, or down the road they want you. No wonder this team continues to flounder, the karma from the fans is pitiful.

I myself will wait and see what Haslam does before I make up immature nicknames for him and anybody who he hires. Many here talk as if they could step in and run this organization, it is hilarious. This ain't fantasy, it is real. Haslam has been associated with some of the best while being part owner of the Steelers. I'm sure he is qualified and has way more understanding of how to do it then those jackaholes on here who bash him and call him assinine names.

Banner was successful in Philly whether many like him or not. So I will trust him more than some fool on a message board who thinks they know him and what he will do.

Reading many of the posts here only remind me of why some of the better posters that used to inhabit this board are long gone. Much of the conversation here now is regurgitated crap spewed from self proclaimed know-it-alls.

I'm done, sorry for the rant.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Quote:

J/C

Haslam and Banner have done nothing except hire a new president, but yet all the geniuses who post on this message board know all the mistakes they are going to make. I mean everything is looked at as wrong.

I can almost gaurantee that no one on these boards truly knows what Banner actually did for Philly. Also those bashing Haslam and calling him a baffoon are idiots. They know nothing about this guy. He was a partial owner of the Steelers for god's sake, I'm sure he is not the fool he is being made out to be here.

There is so much pessimism towards any and everything done with this team, I sometimes wonder if many really would enjoy winning, as they are so happy just bashing everything and everyone who touches this team.

They call this the greatest fanbase, but who are they? The fanbase themselves? It is no wonder many refuse to work for the Browns, before they even start many of the fans spend most of their time putting them down. Nobody gets a fair chance with this fanbase, it is immediate success, or down the road they want you. No wonder this team continues to flounder, the karma from the fans is pitiful.

I myself will wait and see what Haslam does before I make up immature nicknames for him and anybody who he hires. Many here talk as if they could step in and run this organization, it is hilarious. This ain't fantasy, it is real. Haslam has been associated with some of the best while being part owner of the Steelers. I'm sure he is qualified and has way more understanding of how to do it then those jackaholes on here who bash him and call him assinine names.

Banner was successful in Philly whether many like him or not. So I will trust him more than some fool on a message board who thinks they know him and what he will do.

Reading many of the posts here only remind me of why some of the better posters that used to inhabit this board are long gone. Much of the conversation here now is regurgitated crap spewed from self proclaimed know-it-alls.

I'm done, sorry for the rant.

Ranting or venting is fine but many of us have seen good FO stuff and finally see good things happening then we see much of the same we have watched for the past decade and we now can see a road we dont want to once again travel down.

You just said why dont others give the new a chance and I say why dont we give the current a chance to continue down the path of what looks like success?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

No, everything is not looked at as wrong. What alarms people, and should alarm you, is what looks like his next course of action. Namely, forcing out Heckert and hiring Lombardi as his "yes" man.

Quote:

Yes, it's the fan's fault that the team has sucked for the last decade plus.... Honestly, that has to qualify as one of the 5 dumbest statements made on this board in the last 10 years. Seriously, if it weren't for all us karma-challenged fans you'd probably be rooting for the Los Angeles Browns....Because if JH didn't think us idiot fans would help him recoup his $1 billion investment you can be sure that he either wouldn't have bought the team or it would be headed out of town on the next express train west.

Quote:

Actually, almost to a man those hallowed posters that you worship left because people stopped groveling at their feet and starting questioning their logic. While some may miss their points of view I doubt many miss their condescending tone(s).

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Quote:

What alarms people, and should alarm you, is what looks like his next course of action. Namely, forcing out Heckert and hiring Lombardi as his "yes" man.

Just thinking out loud here. If Banner is as power hungry as is being claimed on this board, why hire a yes man GM at all? Why not just do the job himself and save the organization some $. I mean, Jerry Jones in Dallas has said he'll be the GM. Why doesn't Banner do the same thing? Is it because he might not actually be planning to be the guy who does the GM's job? Or is that wrong because it doesn't jive with the board pessimists?

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Haslam and Banner have done nothing except hire a new president, but yet all the geniuses who post on this message board know all the mistakes they are going to make.

Same thing happens during all elections.

In my case, I'm only talking about what Banner has said. he said, he's bias towards the HC being the final say. That to me sounds like Heckert is gone. Not what I want.

But let me say this, depending on who the HC is, it might be just fine.

I don't understand the hiring of this guy as president, but then, I'm sure they have a plan. if it's more as a CAPologist, then ok,, whatever. I don't think this guy had much to do with talent on the field so I don't think I really care about him at all.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not sure if this should go here or in the Weeden thread, but it's mostly rehash about the grossi article... with one little extra tidbit.

Quote:

Will Josh McDaniels be Cleveland bound?
By Greg A. Bedard, Globe Staff

On Dec. 9, after speaking to two influential NFL sources, I wrote that NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi was a serious candidate to be the next general manager of the Browns should owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner decide to part ways with Tom Heckert and coach Pat Shurmur.
And if Lombardi was hired, Alabama coach Nick Saban would be the top target followed by Oregon coach Chip Kelly and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

With the hiring of Alec Scheiner as Browns president on Tuesday, it looks like we're a step closer to everything becoming reality.

From long-time Browns beat writer Tony Grossi:

Banner will oversee football operations and, we’ve been told by sources, will name Lombardi to a glorified player personnel director position.
As far as the coaching front once that happens, Grossi names the targets: Saban (long shot), Kelly (long shot because he can demand personnel control if he wants) and McDaniels.

Independently, Saban, who has built a national powerhouse at Alabama, is believed to be Haslam’s first choice to coach the Browns. ... There is one rumor that Haslam is prepared to offer Saban a $100 million deal over 10 years to coach the Browns. ....Two sources who know Saban have told me that Saban is leaning toward staying at Alabama and if he ever sought to scratch that NFL itch again, it would not be in Cleveland.
In my job, I don't really care what happens with Saban and Kelly, but the McDaniels situation is certainly interesting.

Would he leave after just one season? Yes, if it was the right situation. A Banner-Lombardi-McDaniels trio, McDaniels being a born-and-bred Ohioan, and a chance to rebuild where the Bill Belichick tree was first planted, would be factors that would likely get a blessing from Belichick.

What would the Patriots do at offensive coordinator? Wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea is the only viable candidate currently on the staff, and now three years into his Patriots tenure, the former college quarterback should be ready.

An outside (and probably long shot) candidate could be former tight ends coach Brian Ferentz, who spent last season as the offensive line coach for his father, Kirk, at Iowa.

One more log to throw on the fire: those two initial sources said that if Lombardi and McDaniels indeed team up in Cleveland, the chances are good that they will attempt to trade for Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett and install him as the franchise quarterback. Brandon Weeden would be out, or in a backup role.

web page

That's a new one to me. Not sure how I feel about it either.

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Grossi: Sources Say No Saban, Banner/Lombardi/McDaniels Possible

Link Copied to Clipboard